Placeholder Image

Subtitles section Play video

  • Hi, I'm Josh, here to answer your copyright questions.

  • 'I have a Content ID claim on my video. What steps can I take?'

  • If you receive a Content ID claim, you can choose to

  • do nothing.

  • If you agree with the claim, you can just move on.

  • You can always change your mind later if you disagree with a claim.

  • Dispute the claim.

  • If you have the required rights to use the copyright-protected content in your video

  • or if you think the system somehow misidentified your video

  • you can dispute the claim.

  • You can also choose to remove or replace the claimed content from your video

  • without having to upload a new video with the following options.

  • Mute the sound.

  • If you get a claim for a piece of music in your video

  • you may be able to mute the entire claimed segment.

  • Mute the song.

  • If your video has matched a copyright owner's music through Content ID

  • you'll have the option to mute just the claimed song

  • while keeping other audio, like you talking, intact.

  • Note that this option isn't available for all Content ID claims

  • but when it is available, you'll see it as an option

  • within the video copyright info page.

  • Replace the song.

  • If you don't want to mute the audio entirely

  • you can instead swap out your audio track

  • with one of our free songs from the YouTube Audio Library.

  • Trim out the content.

  • You can trim out the claimed content from your video

  • using the YouTube editor without having to edit and upload a new video.

  • All of these steps can be done from within YouTube Studio.

  • Check out more info on our Help Centre, linked in the description below

  • and be sure to check out the other videos in our Copyright series, linked here.

  • Thanks!

Hi, I'm Josh, here to answer your copyright questions.

Subtitles and vocabulary

Click the word to look it up Click the word to find further inforamtion about it