Placeholder Image

Subtitles section Play video

  • [Music - Piano melody]

  • So, you filed your tax return with TurboTaxBut then you need to change it. Well,

  • if you have already filed, you can't get the return back. But what you can do is amend

  • your tax return and file it again. You can do this in TurboTax.

  • You might need to file an amended return if any of the following are true:

  • You got more documents or tax forms in the mail

  • You need to correct something on your return You need to add or remove a dependent

  • Or you want to take another credit or deduction you didn't take the first time.

  • Before you amend your return, here are three things you need to know.

  • First, make sure you got your refund or paid your taxes due from the originally filed return;

  • you want to make sure the government doesn't get confused with your money, so the original

  • return needs to be all squared away before you amend.

  • Second, print a copy of your original return and have it right by your side when you start

  • to amend in TurboTax. Trust us; this is really important.

  • Third, you can amend this year's return only with this year's version of TurboTax.

  • If you want to amend your return from a prior year, use that year's version of TurboTax.

  • To start your amended return, go back into TurboTax, open the return that you already

  • sent in, and on the first page you see, click on the link to amend your return.

  • Remember before you amend: amend only if you need to make a change on a return you have

  • already filed. Wait until you got your refund or paid your taxes. Have a copy of your original

  • return at your side before you start. And be sure you use the correct year's version

  • of TurboTax. Don't worry, we will walk you through the

  • entire amend process at

  • [Music - Piano melody]

[Music - Piano melody]

Subtitles and vocabulary

Click the word to look it up Click the word to find further inforamtion about it