B1 Intermediate 14279 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
In this American English pronunciation exercise, we're going to study some conversation. Today
it's going to be an imitation exercise, where we listen to speech on a loop, like this:
today I woke up...[3x]
Today's topic: what did you do today?
For imitation exercises, I loop a sentence or a sentence fragment three times, then give
you time to repeat. It's more important to focus on imitating than what you're saying.
By looping it three times, I hope you'll hear the speech in a different way: more as rhythm
and pitch than as words and sounds. In fact, sometimes, you might want to repeat back only
the rhythm and the pitch, no text at all. For example,
How are you? [3x]
Uhhh-- instead of trying to say 'how are you?', just going with the rhythm and the pitch.
Uhh. Other times, repeat the text. But don't worry about how you think the words should
be pronounced. Just think about what you're hearing, and reproducing it exactly.
Great. Let's get started.
>> Tom, what did you do today?
>> Today? >> Today.
>> Today I woke up...
>> ...and I went for a run.
>> And, um, then I just worked.
>> So, where do you run?
>> I run in Fort Greene Park.
>> In Brooklyn.
>> That's a nice park.
>> It is a nice park.
>> But, isn't it really small?
>> It's a very small park.
>> So, how, how do you run there?
>> Well, first of all, it's on a hill,
>> Fort Greene is on a hill.
>> So, it's very hilly terrain to run.
>> And you run around this dirt track around the outside.
>> So you just run loops.
>> Right. And you do, like, 50 loops?
>> I do 50-100
>> depending on how I'm feeling.
>> Right.
>> So, what are you doing after this?
>> After this,
>> Nothing.
>> No plans.
>> Should we get dinner?
>> Yeah.
>> Where should we get dinner?
>> I don't know, somewhere in the neighborhood.
>> There's good stuff around here.
>> Ok.
>> I'll find us something.
>> We're in Chelsea.
>> right now.
>> We are in Chelsea.
>> But we're really close to the Union Square area.
>> Flatiron... >> That's true.
>> We have lots of options.
>> Rachel knows a lot about the Union Square area.
>> I used to live there. >> She used to live there, for?
>> Like, four years.
>> Four years. >> Yeah.
>> There's a Barnes and Noble there.
>> And a very strange sculpture.
>> On the side of a building...
>> that used to be a Circuit City.
>> Wait, what sculpture?
>> There's a sculpture,
>> A round sculpture spews smoke.
>> Oh right, right. >> Or steam.
>> So that used to be a Circuit City?
>> It did.
>> What is it now?
>> Is it a Best Buy?
>> I'm not quite sure why we're talking about this!
And now the whole conversation:
>> Tom, what did you do today? >> Today?
>> Today. >> Today I woke up and I went for a run.
>> And, um, then I just worked. >> So, where do you run?
>> I run in Fort Greene Park, in Brooklyn. >> That's a nice park.
>> It is a nice park. >> But, isn't it really small?
>> It's a very small park. >> So, how, how do you run there?
>> Well, first of all, it's on a hill, Fort Greene is on a hill. So, it's very hilly terrain
to run. And you run around this dirt track around the outside.
>> So you just run loops. >> Right. And you do, like, 50 loops?
>> I do 50-100 depending on how I'm feeling. >> Right.
>> So, what are you doing after this? >> After this, nothing.
>> No plans. >> No plans.
>> Should we get dinner? >> Yeah.
>> Where should we get dinner? >> I don't know, somewhere in the neighborhood.
>> There's good stuff around here. >> Ok.
>> I'll find us something. >> We're in Chelsea right now.
>> We are in Chelsea. But we're really close to the Union Square area, Flatiron...
>> That's true. >> We have lots of options.
>> Rachel knows a lot about the Union Square area.
>> I used to live there. >> She used to live there, for?
>> Like, four years. >> Four years.
>> Yeah. >> There's a Barnes and Noble there. And a
very strange sculpture on the side of a building that used to be a Circuit City.
>> Wait, what sculpture? >> There's a sculpture, a round sculpture
that spews smoke >> Oh right, right.
>> Or steam. >> So that used to be a Circuit City?
>> It did. >> What is it now?
>> Is it a Best Buy? I'm not quite sure why we're talking about this!
That's it, and thanks so much for using Rachel's English.
    You must  Log in  to get the function.
Tip: Click on the article or the word in the subtitle to get translation quickly!

Loading…

American English Imitation Exercise: What did you do today?

14279 Folder Collection
Halu Hsieh published on October 3, 2013
More Recommended Videos
  1. 1. Search word

    Select word on the caption to look it up in the dictionary!

  2. 2. Repeat single sentence

    Repeat the same sentence to enhance listening ability

  3. 3. Shortcut

    Shortcut!

  4. 4. Close caption

    Close the English caption

  5. 5. Embed

    Embed the video to your blog

  6. 6. Unfold

    Hide right panel

  1. Listening Quiz

    Listening Quiz!

  1. Click to open your notebook

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔