Advanced US 700 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
>>> IT'S TIME TO VOTE
FOR AMERICA AND
AMERICA FIRST.
>> AMERICA'S DESTINY
IS OURS TO CHOOSE.
>> WE WILL MAKE
AMERICA SAFE AGAIN.
>> WE JOIN TOGETHER TO
GET RID OF THE THREATS
WE FACE.
>> JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.
>> I WILL BE A
PRESIDENT FOR ALL
AMERICANS.
>> FROM NBC NEWS.
DECISION 2016.
THE FIRST PRESIDENTIAL
DEBATE.
LIVE FROM HOFSTRA
UNIVERSITY IN
HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK.
HERE NOW, SAVANNAH
GUTHRIE AND CHUCK
TODD.
>> AND GOOD EVENING,
EVERYBODY.
NICE TO HAVE YOU WITH
US.
CHUCK, AFTER ALL THE
HYPE, ALL THE PREP,
ALL THE PREDEBATE
GAMESMANSHIP FROM BOTH
CAMPAIGNS THIS IS IT,
WE'RE LITERALLY
MINUTES WAY FROM THE
START OF THE FIRST AND
ALL IMPORTANT
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ON
A STAGE BEHIND US.
WE'VE ALREADY SEEN THE
CANDIDATES TONIGHT
HILLARY CLINTON AND
DONALD TRUMP ARRIVING
HERE A BIT EARLIER
THIS EVENING.
THEY'RE WAITING
BACKSTAGE.
AND CHUCK, WE'VE HAD A
MOMENT TONIGHT.
>> YEAH.
>> PRESIDENT BILL
CLINTON IS IN THE
HOUSE.
AND MET MRS. MELANIA
TRUMP.
THEY JUST SHARED THAT
HANDSHAKE.
WE'VE GOT THE WHOLE
FAMILIES ASSEMBLED
HERE.
>> WE DO.
AND I THINK ONE THING
WE OUGHT TO REMEMBER
AS BIG OF
PERSONALITIES THAT
THEY ARE, WE KNOW THIS
IS GOING TO BE A CLASH
OF BIG PERSONALITIES,
THIS IS ALSO A CLASH
OF TWO COMPETING
VISIONS OF AMERICA.
HILLARY CLINTON
EMBRACING THE MANY
CULTURAL CHANGES,
DIVERSITY,
ACCELERATION OF
GLOBALIZATION THAT'S
HAPPENING.
DONALD TRUMP EMBRACING
A VISION THAT SAYS
WHOA, LET'S SLOW DOWN,
LET'S SLOW THINGS
DOWN, LET'S LOOK
INWARD A LITTLE BIT.
LET'S NOT LET THAT GET
LOST TONIGHT.
>> LET'S BRING IN OUR
COLLEAGUE TOM BROKAW,
OBVIOUSLY SOMEBODY
WHO'S WATCHED A LOT OF
DEBATES.
DOESN'T THIS FEEL LIKE
THERE'S SOMETHING
SPECIAL ABOUT THIS
ONE, IF NOTHING ELSE
BECAUSE THEY THINK
MAYBE 100 MILLION
PEOPLE COULD BE
WATCHING.
>> NEVER SEEN ONE
QUITE LIKE THIS IN
PART BECAUSE THE 100
MILLION PEOPLE, A LOT
ARE TRYING TO MAKE UP
THEIR MINDS.
THIS IS AN IMPORTANT
DEBATE.
ADD TO THE TELEVISION
VIEWERSHIP, SOCIAL
MEDIA GOING ON,
TWEETING THAT IS GOING
ON, TEXTING THAT IS
GOING ON, THE
STREAMING THAT IS
GOING ON.
THIS IS THE BIGGEST
ELECTRONIC EVENT IN
AMERICAN HISTORY TO
SAY NOTHING OF
AMERICAN PRESIDENTIAL
POLITICS.
>> THE STAKES ARE SO
HIGH WITH THE POLLS
TIGHT AS WE'VE SEEN AS
RECENTLY AS TODAY.
LET'S GO TO ANDREA
MITCHELL, EXCUSE ME,
HALEY JACKSON IS IN
THE SPINROOM FOR US.
GOOD EVENING.
>> HI, SAVANNAH.
HERE MEDIA AND
SURROGATES ARE READY
FOR WHAT HAPPENS AFTER
THE DEBATE.
BEFORE THEN, HERE'S
DONALD TRUMP'S BIGGEST
TEST.
CAN HE PROVE HE HAS
THE TEMPERMENT TO BE
COMMANDER IN CHIEF?
IT'S ONE OF HIS
BIGGEST NEGATIVES TO
VOTERS.
TOO MANY INSULTS HE
COULD COME OFF AS A
BULLY, TOO FEW
SPECIFICS AND COULD
SEEM UNPREPARED.
SAVANNAH?
>> HALLIE JACKSON,
THANK YOU.
>> LET'S GO TO ANDREA
MITCHELL COVERING THE
HILLARY CLINTON
CAMPAIGN.
WHAT'S HILLARY
CLINTON'S GOAL
TONIGHT, ANDREA?
>> HER NEED IS TO
RELATE TO PEOPLE
ESPECIALLY MILLENNIAL
VOTERS AND VERY
FRANKLY ONE OF HER TOP
AIDES SAID TO ME WE'RE
GLAD WE HAVE DONALD
TRUMP TO DEBATE
AGAINST BECAUSE HE'S
THE DRAW, HE'S DRAWING
100 MILLION PEOPLE.
AND THAT'S THE KIND OF
CROWD HILLARY CLINTON
HAS NOT BEEN ABLE TO
ATTRACT.
SHE NOW HAS TO SELL
HERSELF TONIGHT AND
BILL CLINTON IS HERE.
HE NEVER ATED ANY
OF THE PRIMARY
DEBATES.
>> THANK YOU, ANDREA.
>> WE'RE ABOUT 30
SECONDS AWAY FROM THE
DEBATE.
THE STAKES ARE VERY
HIGH.
AS I MENTIONED
EARLIER, THE POLLS ARE
EX-FREEDOMLY TIGHT.
>> THEY ARE.
I DO THINK THE
AUDIENCE IS VERY
FLUID.
WE HAVE A BUNCH OF
PEOPLE WHO ARE EITHER
NONE OF THE ABOVE OR
UNDECIDED.
I THINK THE POLLS WILL
MOVE TONIGHT.
>> THE
MULTIBILLIONAIRE,
FORMER FIRST LADY,
SECRETARY OF STATE,
U.S. SENATOR ABOUT TO
DEBATE.
WE'LL LET LESTER HOLT
TAKE IT AWAY.
>> GOOD EVENING FROM
HOFSTRA UNIVERSITY IN
HEMPSTEAD, NEW YORK,
I'M LESTER HOLT.
ANCHOR OF \"NBC NIGHTLY
NEWS.\"
I WANT TO WELCOME YOU
TO THE FIRST
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE.
THE PARTICIPANTS
TONIGHT ARE DONALD
TRUMP AND HILLARY
CLINTON.
THIS DEBATE IS
SPONSORED BY THE
COMMISSION ON
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES.
A NONPARTISAN,
NON-PROFIT
ORGANIZATION.
THE COMMISSION DRAFTED
TONIGHT'S FORMAT AND
THE RULES HAVE BEEN
AGREED TO BY THE
CAMPAIGNS.
THE 90 MINUTE DEBATE
IS DIVIDED INTO 6
SEGMENTS EACH 15
MINUTES LONG.
WE'LL EXPLORE THREE
TOPIC AREAS TONIGHT,
ACHIEVING PROSPERITY,
AMERICA'S DIRECTION,
AND SECURING AMERICA.
AT THE START OF EACH
SEGMENT, I WILL ASK
THE SAME LEADOFF
QUESTION TO BOTH
CANDIDATES AND THEY
WILL EACH HAVE UP TO
TWO MINUTES TO
RESPOND.
FROM THAT POINT, UNTIL
THE END OF THE
SEGMENT, WE'LL HAVE AN
OPEN DISCUSSION.
THE QUESTIONS ARE MINE
AND HAVE NOT BEEN
SHARED WITH THE
COMMISSION OF THE
CAMPAIGNS.
THE AUDIENCE HERE IN
THE ROOM HAS AGREED TO
REMAIN SILENT SO THAT
WE CAN FOCUS ON WHAT
THE CANDIDATES ARE
SAYING.
I WILL INVITE YOU TO
APPLAUD, HOWEVER, AT
THIS MOMENT AS WE
WELCOME THE
CANDIDATES, DEMOCRATIC
NOMINEE FOR PRESIDENT
OF THE UNITED STATES,
HILLARY CLINTON.
AND REPUBLICAN NOMINEE
FOR PRESIDENT OF THE
UNITED STATES, DONALD
J. TRUMP.
>> HEY, HOW ARE YOU?
>> GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
>> GOOD TO SEE YOU.
THANK YOU.
>> GOOD TO SEE YOU.
>> WELL, I DON'T
EXPECT US TO COVER ALL
THE ISSUES OF THIS
CAMPAIGN TONIGHT, BUT
I REMIND EVERYONE
THERE ARE TWO MORE
PRESIDENTIAL DEBATES
SCHEDULED.
WE ARE GOING TO FOCUS
ON MANY OF THE ISSUES
THAT VOTERS TELL US
ARE MOST IMPORTANT AND
WE'RE GOING TO PRESS
FOR SPECIFICS.
I AM HONORED TO HAVE
THIS ROLE, BUT THIS
EVENING BELONGS TO THE
CANDIDATES, AND JUST
AS IMPORTANT TO THE
AMERICAN PEOPLE.
CANDIDATES, WE LOOK
FORWARD TO HEARING YOU
ARTICULATE POLICIES
AND POSITIONS AS WELL
AS YOUR VISIONS AND
YOUR VALUES.
SO, LET'S BEGIN.
WE'RE CALLING THIS
OPENING SEGMENT
ACHIEVING PROSPERITY
AND CENTRAL TO THAT IS
JOBS.
THERE ARE TWO ECONOMIC
REALITIES IN AMERICA
TODAY.
THERE'S BEEN A RECORD
SIX STRAIGHT YEARS OF
JOB GROWTH AND NEW
CENSUS NUMBERS SHOW
INCOMES HAVE INCREASED
AT A RECORD RATE AFTER
YEARS OF STAGNATION.
HOWEVER, INCOME
INEQUALITY REMAINS
SIGNIFICANT AND NEARLY
HALF OF AMERICANS ARE
LIVING PAYCHECK TO
PAYCHECK.
BEGINNING WITH YOU,
SECRETARY CLINTON, WHY
ARE YOU A BETTER
CHOICE THAN YOUR
OPPONENT TO CREATE THE
KINDS OF JOBS THAT
WILL PUT MORE MONEY
INTO THE POCKETS OF
AMERICAN WORKERS?
>> WELL, THANK YOU,
LESTER, AND THANKS TO
HOFSTRA FOR HOSTING
US.
THE CENTRAL QUESTION
IN THIS ELECTION IS
REALLY WHAT KIND OF
COUNTRY WE WANT TO BE
AND WHAT KIND OF
FUTURE WE'LL BUILD
TOGETHER.
TODAY IS MY
GRANDDAUGHTER'S SECOND
BIRTHDAY SO I THINK
ABOUT THIS A LOT.
FIRST, WE HAVE TO
BUILD AN ECONOMY THAT
WORKS FOR EVERYONE,
NOT JUST THOSE AT THE
TOP.
THAT MEANS WE NEED NEW
JOBS, GOOD JOBS, WITH
RISING INCOMES.
I WANT US TO INVEST IN
YOU.
I WANT US TO INVEST IN
YOUR FUTURE.
THAT MEANS JOBS AND
INFRASTRUCTURE AND
ADVANCED
MANUFACTURING.
INNOVATION AND
TECHNOLOGY.
CLEAN RENEWABLE ENERGY
AND SMALL BUSINESS
BECAUSE MOST OF THE
NEW JOBS WILL COME
FROM SMALL BUSINESS.
WE ALSO HAVE TO MAKE
THE ECONOMY FAIRER.
THAT STARTS WITH
RAISING THE NATIONAL
MINIMUM WAGE AND ALSO
GUARANTEE FINALLY
EQUAL PAY FOR WOMEN'S
WORK.
I ALSO WANT TO SEE
MORE COMPANIES DO
PROFIT SHARING.
IF YOU HELP CREATE THE
PROFITS, YOU SHOULD BE
ABLE TO SHARE IN THEM,
NOT JUST THE
EXECUTIVES AT THE TOP.
AND I WANT US TO DO
MORE TO SUPPORT PEOPLE
WHO ARE STRUGGLING TO
BALANCE FAMILY AND
WORK.
I'VE HEARD FROM SO
MANY OF YOU ABOUT THE
DIFFICULT CHOICES YOU
FACE AND THE STRESSES
THAT YOU'RE UNDER.
SO LET'S HAVE PAID
FAMILY LEAVE.
EARNED SICK DAYS.
LET'S BE SURE WE HAVE
AFFORDABLE CHILDCARE
AND DEBT-FREE COLLEGE.
HOW ARE WE GOING TO DO
IT?
WE'RE GOING TO DO IT
BY HAVING THE WEALTHY
PAY THEIR FAIR SHARE
AND CLOSE THE
CORPORATE LOOPHOLES.
FINALLY WE TONIGHT ARE
ON THE STAGE TOGETHER,
DONALD TRUMP AND I.
DONALD, IT'S GOOD TO
BE WITH YOU.
WE'RE GOING TO HAVE A
DEBATE WHERE WE ARE
TALKING ABOUT THE
IMPORTANT ISSUES
FACING OUR COUNTRY.
YOU HAVE TO JUDGE US.
WHO CAN SHOULDER THE
IMMENSE, AWESOME
RESPONSIBILITIES OF
THE PRESIDENCY?
WHO CAN PUT INTO
ACTION THE PLANS THAT
WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE
BETTER?
I HOPE THAT I WILL BE
ABLE TO EARN YOUR VOTE
ON NOVEMBER 8th.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON,
THANK YOU.
MR. TRUMP, THE SAME
QUESTION TO YOU.
IT'S ABOUT PUTTING
MONEY, MORE MONEY INTO
THE POCKETS OF
AMERICAN WORKERS.
YOU HAVE UP TO TWO
MINUTES.
>> THANK YOU, LESTER.
OUR JOBS ARE FLEEING
THE COUNTRY.
THEY'RE GOING TO
MEXICO, THEY'RE GOING
TO MANY OTHER
COUNTRIES.
YOU LOOK AT WHAT CHINA
IS DOING TO OUR
COUNTRY IN TERMS OF
MAKING OUR PRODUCT.
THEY'RE DEVALUING
THEIR CURRENCY AND
THERE'S NOBODY IN OUR
GOVERNMENT TO FIGHT
THEM AND WE HAVE A
VERY GOOD FIGHT AND WE
HAVE A WINNING FIGHT
BECAUSE THEY'RE USING
OUR COUNTRY AS A PIGGY
BANK TO REBUILD CHINA
AND MANY OTHER
COUNTRIES ARE DOING
THE SAME THING.
SO WE'RE LOSING OUR
GOOD JOBS.
SO MANY OF THEM.
WHEN YOU LOOK AT
WHAT'S HAPPENING IN
MEXICO, A FRIEND OF
MINE WHO BUILDS PLANTS
SAID IT'S THE EIGHTH
WONDER OF THE WORLD,
THEY'RE BUILDING SOME
OF THE BIGGEST PLANTS
ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD,
SOME OF THE MOST
SOPHISTICATED, SOME OF
THE BEST PLANTS.
WITH THE UNITED
STATES, AS YOU SAID,
NOT SO MUCH.
SO, FORD IS LEAVING,
YOU SEE THAT.
THEIR SMALL CAR
DIVISION LEAVING.
THOUSANDS OF JOBS
LEAVING MICHIGAN,
LEAVING OHIO.
THEY'RE ALL LEAVING.
WE CAN'T ALLOW IT TO
HAPPEN ANYMORE.
AS FAR AS CHILDCARE IS
CONCERNED AND SO MANY
OTHER THINGS I THINK
HILLARY AND I AGREE ON
THAT.
WE PROBABLY DISAGREE A
LITTLE BIT AS TO
NUMBERS AND AMOUNTS,
AND WHAT WE'RE GOING
TO DO, BUT PERHAPS
WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT
THAT LATER.
BUT WE HAVE TO STOP
OUR JOBS FROM BEING
STOLEN FROM US.
WE HAVE TO STOP OUR
COMPANIES FROM LEAVING
THE UNITED STATES AND
WITH IT, FIRING ALL OF
THE PEOPLE.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS
TAKE A LOOK AT CARRIER
AIR-CONDITIONING IN
INDIANAPOLIS.
THEY FIRED 1,400
PEOPLE.
THEY'RE GOING TO
MEXICO.
SO MANY HUNDREDS AND
HUNDREDS OF COMPANIES
ARE DOING THIS.
WE CANNOT LET IT
HAPPEN.
UNDER MY PLAN, I'LL BE
REDUCING TAXES
TREMENDOUSLY FROM 35%
TO 15% FOR COMPANIES,
SMALL AND BIG
BUSINESSES.
THAT'S GOING TO BE A
JOB CREATOR LIKE WE
HAVEN'T SEEN SINCE
RONALD REAGAN.
IT'S GOING TO BE A
BEAUTIFUL THING TO
WATCH.
COMPANIES WILL COME.
THEY WILL BUILD.
THEY WILL EXPAND.
NEW COMPANIES WILL
START.
AND I LOOK VERY, VERY
MUCH FORWARD TO DOING
IT.
WE HAVE TO RENEGOTIATE
OUR TRADE DEALS AND WE
HAVE TO STOP THESE
COUNTRIES FROM
STEALING OUR COMPANIES
AND OUR JOBS.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON,
WOULD YOU LIKE TO
RESPOND?
>> WELL, I THINK THAT
TRADE IS AN IMPORTANT
ISSUE.
OF COURSE, WE HAVE 5%
OF THE WORLD'S
POPULATION.
WE HAVE TO TRADE WITH
THE OTHER 95%.
AND WE NEED TO HAVE
SMART, FAIR TRADE
DEALS.
WE ALSO, THOUGH, NEED
TO HAVE A TAX SYSTEM
THAT REWARDS WORK AND
NOT JUST FINANCIAL
TRANSACTIONS.
AND THE KIND OF PLAN
THAT DONALD HAS PUT
FORTH WOULD BE
TRICKLE-DOWN ECONOMICS
ALL OVER AGAIN, IN
FACT, IT WOULD BE THE
MOST EXTREME VERSION,
THE BIGGEST TAX CUTS
FOR THE TOP PERCENTS
OF THE PEOPLE IN THIS
COUNTRY THAN WE'VE
EVER HAD.
I CALL IT TRUMPED UP
TRICKLE DOWN BECAUSE
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT
WOULD BE.
THAT IS NOT HOW WE
GROW THE ECONOMY.
WE JUST HAVE A
DIFFERENT VIEW ABOUT
WHAT'S BEST FOR
GROWING THE ECONOMY.
HOW WE MAKE
INVESTMENTS THAT WILL
ACTUALLY PRODUCE JOBS
AND RISING INCOMES.
I THINK WE COME AT IT
FROM SOMEWHAT
DIFFERENT
PERSPECTIVES.
I UNDERSTAND THAT.
YOU KNOW, DONALD WAS
VERY FORTUNATE IN HIS
LIFE AND THAT'S ALL TO
HIS BENEFIT.
HE STARTED HIS
BUSINESS WITH $14
MILLION, BORROWED FROM
HIS FATHER, AND HE
REALLY BELIEVES THAT
THE MORE YOU HELP
WEALTHY PEOPLE, THE
BETTER OFF WE'LL BE
AND THAT EVERYTHING
WILL WORK OUT FROM
THERE.
I DON'T BUY THAT.
I HAVE A DIFFERENT
EXPERIENCE.
MY FATHER WAS A SMALL
BUSINESSMAN.
HE WORKED REALLY HARD.
HE PRINTED DRAPERY
FABRICS ON LONG TABLES
WHERE HE PULLED OUT
THOSE FABRICS AND HE
WENT DOWN WITH A SILK
SCREEN AND DUMPED THE
PAINT IN AND TOOK THE
SQUEEGEE AND KEPT
GOING.
WHAT I BELIEVE, THE
MORE WE CAN DO FOR THE
MIDDLE CLASS, THE MORE
WE CAN INVEST IN YOU,
YOUR EDUCATION, YOUR
SKILLS, YOUR FUTURE,
THE BETTER WE WILL BE
OFF AND THE BETTER
WE'LL GROW.
THAT'S THE KIND OF
ECONOMY I WANT US TO
SEE AGAIN.
>> LET ME FOLLOW-UP
WITH MR. TRUMP IF I
CAN.
YOU TALKED ABOUT
CREATING 25 MILLION
JOBS AND PROMISED TO
BRING BACK MILLIONS OF
JOBS FOR AMERICANS.
HOW ARE YOU GOING TO
BRING BACK THE
INDUSTRIES THAT HAVE
LEFT THIS COUNTRY FOR
CHEAPER LABOR
OVERSEAS?
HOW SPECIFICALLY ARE
YOU GOING TO TELL
AMERICAN MANUFACTURERS
THAT YOU HAVE TO COME
BACK?
>> WELL, FOR ONE
THING, AND BEFORE WE
START ON THAT, MY
FATHER GAVE ME A VERY
SMALL LOAN IN 1975 AND
I BUILT IT INTO A
COMPANY THAT'S WORTH
MANY, MANY BILLIONS OF
DOLLARS WITH SOME OF
THE GREATEST ASSETS IN
THE WORLD.
AND I SAY THAT ONLY
BECAUSE THAT'S THE
KIND OF THINKING THAT
OUR COUNTRY NEEDS.
OUR COUNTRY IS IN DEEP
TROUBLE.
WE DON'T KNOW WHAT
WE'RE DOING WHEN IT
COMES TO DEEVALUATIONS
AND ALL OF THESE
COUNTRIES ALL OVER THE
WORLD, ESPECIALLY
CHINA.
THEY'RE THE BEST.
THE BEST EVER AT IT.
WHAT THEY'RE DOING TO
US IS A VERY, VERY SAD
THING.
SO WE HAVE TO DO THAT.
WE HAVE TO RENEGOTIATE
OUR TRADE DEALS.
AND LESTER, THEY'RE
TAKING OUR JOBS.
THEY'RE GIVING
INCENTIVES.
THEY'RE DOING THINGS,
FRANKLY, WE DON'T DO.
LET ME GIVE YOU THE
EXAMPLE OF MEXICO.
THEY HAVE A VAT TAX.
WE'RE ON A DIFFERENT
SYSTEM.
WHEN WE SELL INTO
MEXICO, THERE'S A TAX.
WHEN THEY SELL IN,
AUTOMATIC 16%
APPROXIMATELY.
WHEN THEY SELL INTO
US, THERE'S NO TAX.
IT'S A DEFECTIVE
AGREEMENT.
IT'S BEEN DEFECTIVE
FOR A LONG TIME.
MANY YEARS.
BUT THE POLITICIANS
HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING
ABOUT IT.
NOW, IN ALL FAIRNESS
TO SECRETARY CLINTON,
YES, IS THAT OKAY?
GOOD.
I WANT YOU TO BE VERY
HAPPY.
IT'S VERY IMPORTANT TO
ME.
BUT IN ALL FAIRNESS TO
SECRETARY CLINTON,
WHEN SHE STARTED
TALKING ABOUT THIS, IT
WAS REALLY VERY
RECENTLY.
SHE'S BEEN DOING THIS
FOR 30 YEARS.
AND WHY HASN'T SHE
MADE THE AGREEMENTS
BETTER?
THE NAFTA AGREEMENT IS
DEFECTIVE.
JUST BECAUSE OF THE
TAX AND MANY OTHER
REASONS, BUT JUST
BECAUSE OF THE --
>> LET ME INTERRUPT
JUST A MOMENT.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON
AND OTHERS,
POLITICIANS, SHOULD
HAVE BEEN DOING THIS
FOR YEARS.
NOT RIGHT NOW BECAUSE
OF THE FACT THAT WE'VE
CREATED A MOVEMENT.
THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN
DOING THIS FOR YEARS.
WHAT'S HAPPENED TO OUR
JOBS AND OUR COUNTRY
AND OUR ECONOMY,
GENERALLY, IS, LOOK,
WE OWE $20 TRILLION.
WE CANNOT DO IT ANY
LONGER, LESTER.
>> BACK TO THE
QUESTION, THOUGH, HOW
DO YOU BRING BACK,
SPECIFICALLY BRING
BACK JOBS?
AMERICAN
MANUFACTURERS.
HOW DO YOU MAKE THEM
BRING THE JOBS BACK?
>> WELL, THE FIRST
THING YOU DO IS DON'T
LET THE JOBS LEAVE.
THE COMPANIES HAVE
LEAVING.
I COULD NAME -- I
MEAN, THERE ARE
THOUSANDS OF THEM.
THEY'RE LEAVING AND
THEY'RE LEAVING IN
BIGGER NUMBERS THAN
EVER.
AND WHAT YOU DO IS YOU
SAY, FINE, YOU WANT TO
GO TO MEXICO OR SOME
OTHER COUNTRY, GOOD
LUCK, WE WISH YOU A
LOT OF LUCK, BUT IF
YOU THINK YOU'RE GOING
TO MAKE YOUR AIR
CONDITIONERS OR YOUR
CARS OR YOUR COOKIES
OR WHATEVER YOU MAKE
AND BRING THEM INTO
OUR COUNTRY WITHOUT A
TAX, YOU'RE WRONG.
AND ONCE YOU SAY
YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE
TO TAX THEM COMING IN,
AND OUR POLITICIANS
NEVER DO THIS, BECAUSE
THEY HAVE SPECIAL
INTERESTS AND THE
SPECIAL INTERESTS WANT
THOSE COMPANIES TO
LEAVE BECAUSE IN MANY
CASES THEY OWN THE
COMPANIES.
SO WHAT I'M SAYING IS
WE CAN STOP THEM FROM
LEAVING.
WE HAVE TO STOP THEM
FROM LEAVING AND
THAT'S A BIG, BIG
FACTOR.
>> LET ME LET
SECRETARY CLINTON GET
IN HERE.
>> WELL, LET'S STOP
FOR A SECOND AND
REMEMBER WHERE WE WERE
EIGHT YEARS AGO.
WE HAD THE WORST
FINANCIAL CRISIS, THE
GREAT RECESSION, THE
WORST SINCE PRESIDENT
1930s.
THAT WAS IN LARGE PART
BECAUSE OF TAX
POLICIES THAT SLASHED
TAXES ON THE WEALTHY,
FAILED TO INVEST IN
THE MIDDLE CLASS, TOOK
THEIR EYES OFF OF WALL
STREET, AND CREATED A
PERFECT STORM.
IN FACT, DONALD WAS
ONE OF THE PEOPLE WHO
ROOTED FOR THE HOUSING
CRISIS.
HE SAID BACK IN 2006,
GEE, I HOPE IT DOES
COLLAPSE BECAUSE THEN
I CAN GO IN AND BUY
SOME AND MAKE SOME
MONEY.
WELL, IT DID COLLAPSE.
>> THAT'S CALLED
BUSINESS, BY THE WAY.
>> 9 MILLION PEOPLE, 9
MILLION PEOPLE LOST
THEIR JOBS.
5 MILLION PEOPLE LOST
THEIR HOMES AND $13
TRILLION IN FAMILY
WEALTH WAS WIPED OUT.
NOW, WE HAVE COME BACK
FROM THAT ABYSS AND IT
HAS NOT BEEN EASY.
SO WE'RE NOW ON THE
PRECIPICE OF HAVING A
POTENTIALLY MUCH
BETTER ECONOMY, BUT
THE LAST THING WE NEED
TO DO IS TO GO BACK TO
THE POLICIES THAT
FAILED US IN THE FIRST
PLACE.
INDEPENDENT EXPERTS
HAVE LOOKED AT WHAT
I'VE PROPOSED AND
LOOKED AT WHAT
DONALD'S PROPOSED AND
BASICALLY THEY'VE SAID
THIS.
THAT IF HIS TAX PLAN,
WHICH WOULD BLOW UP
THE DEBT BY OVER $5
TRILLION AND WOULD, IN
SOME INSTANCES,
DISADVANTAGE MIDDLE
CLASS FAMILIES
COMPARED TO THE
WEALTHY, WERE TO GO
INTO EFFECT, WE WOULD
LOSE 3.5 MILLION JOBS.
AND MAYBE HAVE ANOTHER
RECESSION.
THEY'VE LOOKED AT MY
PLANS AND THEY'VE
SAID, OKAY, IF WE CAN
DO THIS, AND I INTEND
TO GET IT DONE, WE
WILL HAVE 10 MILLION
MORE NEW JOBS BECAUSE
WE WILL BE MAKING
INVESTMENTS WHERE WE
CAN GROW THE ECONOMY.
TAKE CLEAN ENERGY.
SOME COUNTRY IS GOING
TO BE THE CLEAN ENERGY
SUPERPOWER OF THE 21st
CENTURY.
DONALD THINKS THAT
CLIMATE CHANGE IS A
HOAX PERPETRATED BY
THE CHINESE.
I THINK IT'S REAL.
>> I DID NOT.
>> SCIENCE IS REAL.
>> I DID NOT SAY THAT.
>> AND I THINK --
>> I DO NOT SAY THAT.
>> I THINK IT'S
IMPORTANT THAT WE GRIP
THIS AND DEAL WITH IT
BOTH AT HOME AND
ABROAD AND HERE'S WHAT
WE CAN DO.
WE CAN DEPLOY A HALF A
BILLION MORE SOLAR
PANELS.
WE CAN HAVE ENOUGH
CLEAN ENERGY TO POWER
EVERY HOME.
WE CAN BUILD A NEW
MODERN ELECTRIC GRID.
THAT'S A LOT OF JOBS.
THAT'S A LOT OF NEW
ECONOMIC ACTIVITY.
SO I'VE TRIED TO BE
VERY SPECIFIC ABOUT
WHAT WE CAN AND SHOULD
DO AND I AM DETERMINED
THAT WE'RE GOING TO
GET THE ECONOMY REALLY
MOVING AGAIN.
BUILDING ON THE
PROGRESS WE'VE MADE
OVER THE LAST EIGHT
YEARS BUT NEVER GOING
BACK TO WHAT GOT US IN
TROUBLE IN THE FIRST
PLACE.
>> MR. TRUMP?
>> SHE TALKS ABOUT
SOLAR PANELS.
WE INVESTED IN A SOLAR
COMPANY, COUNTRY, THAT
WAS A DISASTER.
THEY LOST PLENTY OF
MONEY ON THAT ONE.
NOW, LOOK, I'M A GREAT
BELIEVER IN ALL FORMS
OF ENERGY, BUT WE'RE
PUTTING A LOT OF
PEOPLE OUT OF WORK.
OUR ENERGY POLICIES
ARE A DISASTER.
OUR COUNTRY IS LOSING
SO MUCH IN TERMS OF
ENERGY, IN TERMS OF
PAYING OFF OUR DEBT.
YOU CAN'T DO WHAT
YOU'RE LOOKING TO DO
WITH $20 TRILLION IN
DEBT.
THE OBAMA
ADMINISTRATION FROM
THE TIME THEY'VE COME
IN IS OVER 230 YEARS'
WORTH OF DEBT AND HE'S
TOPPED IT.
HE'S DOUBLED IT IN A
COURSE OF ALMOST EIGHT
YEARS.
7 1/2 YEARS TO BE
SEMI-EXACT.
SO I WILL TELL YOU
THIS.
WE HAVE TO DO A MUCH
BETTER JOB AT KEEPING
OUR JOBS AND WE HAVE
TO DO A MUCH BETTER
JOB AT GIVING
COMPANIES INCENTIVE TO
BUILD NEW COMPANIES OR
TO EXPAND BECAUSE
THEY'RE NOT DOING IT.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS
LOOK AT MICHIGAN, LOOK
AT OHIO AND LOOK AT
ALL OF THESE PLACES
WHERE SO MANY OF THEIR
JOBS AND THEIR
COMPANIES ARE JUST
LEAVING.
THEY'RE GONE.
AND HILLARY, I JUST
ASK YOU THIS, YOU'VE
BEEN DOING THIS FOR 30
YEARS.
WHY ARE YOU JUST
THINKING ABOUT THESE
SOLUTIONS RIGHT NOW?
FOR 30 YEARS YOU'VE
BEEN DOING IT AND NOW
YOU'RE JUST STARTING
TO THINK OF SOLUTIONS.
>> WELL, ACTUALLY --
>> I WILL BRING --
EXCUSE ANY.
I WILL BRING BACK
JOBS.
YOU CAN'T BRING BACK
JOBS.
>> WELL, ACTUALLY, I
HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT
THIS QUITE A BIT.
>> YEAH, FOR 30 YEARS.
>> I HAVE -- WELL, NOT
QUITE THAT LONG.
I THINK MY HUSBAND DID
A PRETTY GOOD JOB IN
THE 1990s.
I THINK A LOT ABOUT
WHAT WORKED AND HOW --
>> HE APPROVED NAFTA,
SINGLE WORST TRADE
DEAL APPROVED IN THE
COUNTRY.
>> INCOMES WENT UP FOR
EVERYBODY.
MANUFACTURING JOBS
WENT UP ALSO IN THE
1990s IF WE'RE GOING
IT LOOK AT THE FACTS.
WHEN I WAS IN THE
SENATE, I HAD A NUMBER
OF TRADE DEALS THAT
CAME BEFORE ME AND I
HELD THEM ALL TO THE
SAME TEST.
WILL THEY CREATE JOBS
IN AMERICA?
WILL THEY RAISE
INCOMES IN AMERICA?
AND ARE THEY GOOD FOR
OUR NATIONAL SECURITY?
SOME OF THEM I VOTED
FOR.
THE BIGGEST ONE, A
MULTINATIONAL ONE
KNOWN AS CAFTA, I
VOTED AGAINST AND
BECAUSE I HOLD THE
SAME STANDARDS AS I
LOOK AT ALL OF THESE
TRADE DEALS.
BUT LET'S NOT ASSUME
THAT TRADE IS THE ONLY
CHALLENGE WE HAVE IN
THE ECONOMY.
I THINK IT IS A PART
OF IT AND I'VE SAID
WHAT I'M GOING TO DO.
I'M GOING TO HAVE A
SPECIAL PROSECUTOR.
WE'RE GOING TO ENFORCE
THE TRADE DEALS WE
HAVE.
AND WE'RE GOING TO
HOLD PEOPLE
ACCOUNTABLE.
WHEN I WAS SECRETARY
OF STATE, WE ACTUALLY
INCREASED AMERICAN
EXPORTS GLOBALLY 30%.
WE INCREASED THEM TO
CHINA 50%.
SO I KNOW HOW TO
REALLY WORK TO GET NEW
JOBS AND TO GET
EXPORTS THAT HELP TO
CREATE MORE NEW JOBS.
>> VERY QUICKLY --
>> YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT
IN 30 YEARS OR 26
YEARS.
>> I'VE BEEN A
SENATOR, DONALD.
>> YOU HAVEN'T DONE
IT.
YOU HAVEN'T DONE IT.
>> I'VE BEEN SECRETARY
OF STATE.
>> EXCUSE ME, YOUR
HUSBAND SIGNED NAFTA,
ONE OF THE WORST
THINGS THAT EVER
HAPPENED TO THE
MANUFACTURING
INDUSTRY.
>> THAT IS YOUR
OPINION.
>> YOU GO TO NEW
ENGLAND, GO TO OHIO,
PENNSYLVANIA, YOU GO
TO ANYWHERE YOU WANT,
SECRETARY CLINTON, AND
YOU WILL SEE
DEVASTATION WHERE
MANUFACTURERS DOWN
30%, 40%, SOMETIMES
50%.
NAFTA IS THE WORST
TRADE DEAL SIGNED
ANYWHERE, IN THIS
COUNTRY.
NOW YOU WANT TO
APPROVE TRANS-PACIFIC
PARTNERSHIP.
YOU WERE TOTALLY IN
FAVOR OF IT THEN HEARD
WHAT I WAS SAYING HOW
BAD IT IS AND SAID I
CAN'T WIN THAT DEBATE.
YOU KNOW IF YOU DID
WIN, YOU WOULD APPROVE
THAT AND ALMOST BE AS
BAD AS NAFTA.
NOTHING WILL TOP NANAFA.
>> THAT IS NOT
ACCURATE.
I WAS AGAINST IT ONCE
IT WAS FINALLY
NEGOTIATED.
THE TERMS WERE LAID
OUT.
I WROTE --
>> YOU CALLED IT THE
GOLD STANDARD.
YOU CALLED IT THE GOLD
STANDARD OF TRADE
DEALS.
SAID IT WAS THE FINEST
DEAL YOU'VE EVER SEEN.
YOU HEARD WHAT I SAID
ABOUT IT AND YOU WERE
AGAINST IT.
>> DONALD, I KNOW YOU
LIVE IN YOUR OWN
REALITY --
>> OH, YEAH.
>> -- THAT IS NOT THE
FACTS.
I DID SAY, I HOPED IT
WOULD BE A GOOD DEAL.
WHEN IT WAS
NEGOTIATED --
>> NOT.
>> -- WHICH I WAS NOT
RESPONSIBLE FOR, I
CONCLUDED IT WASN'T.
I WROTE ABOUT THAT --
>> SO IS IT PRESIDENT
OBAMA'S FAULT?
IS IT PRESIDENT
OBAMA'S FAULT?
>> BEFORE YOU EVEN
ANNOUNCED.
LOOK, THERE ARE --
>> SECRETARY, IS IT
PRESIDENT OBAMA'S
FAULT?
>> THERE ARE
DIFFERENT --
>> BECAUSE HE'S
PUSHING IT.
>> THERE ARE DIFFERENT
VIEWS ABOUT WHAT'S
GOING FOR OUR COUNTRY,
OUR ECONOMY, AND OUR
LEADERSHIP IN THE
WORLD.
I THINK IT'S IMPORTANT
TO LOOK AT WHAT WE
NEED TO DO TO GET THE
ECONOMY GOING AGAIN.
THAT'S WHY I SAID NEW
JOBS WITH RISING
INCOMES, INVESTMENTS.
NOT IN MORE TAX CUTS
THAT WOULD ADD $5
TRILLION TO THE DEBT.
>> BUT YOU HAVE NO
PLAN.
>> EDUCATE -- OH, I
DO.
>> SECRETARY, YOU HAVE
NO PLAN.
>> I'VE WRITTEN A BOOK
ABOUT IT.
IT'S CALLED \"STRONGER
TOGETHER.\"
PICK IT UP TOMORROW.
>> THAT'S ABOUT ALL --
>> AT A BOOKSTORE OR
AT AN AIRPORT NEAR
YOU.
>> WE'RE GOING TO MOVE
TO --
>> IT'S BECAUSE I SEE
THIS, WHEN NEED TO
HAVE STRONG GROWTH,
FAIR GROWTH, SUSTAINED
GROWTH.
WE ALSO HAVE TO LOOK
AT HOW WE HELP
FAMILIES BALANCE THE
RESPONSIBILITIES AT
HOME AND THE
RESPONSIBILITIES AT
BUSINESS.
SO WE HAVE A VERY
ROBUST SET OF PLANS.
AND PEOPLE HAVE LOOKED
AT BOTH OF OUR PLANS,
HAVE CONCLUDED THAT
MINE WOULD CREATE 10
MILLION JOBS AND YOURS
WOULD LOSE US 3.5
MILLION JOBS AND
EXPLODE THE DEBT --
>> YOU ARE GOING TO
APPROVE ONE OF THE
BIGGEST TAX CUTS IN
HISTORY.
YOU'RE GOING TO
APPROVE ONE OF THE
BIGGEST TAX INCREASES
IN HISTORY.
YOU ARE GOING TO DRIVE
BUSINESS OUT.
YOUR REGULATIONS ARE A
DISASTER.
YOU'RE GOING TO
INCREASE REGULATIONS
ALL OVER THE PLACE.
BY THE WAY, MY TAX CUT
IS THE BIGGEST SINCE
RONALD REAGAN.
I'M VERY PROUD OF IT.
IT WILL CREATE
TREMENDOUS NUMBERS OF
NEW JOBS, BUT
REGULATIONS, YOU ARE
GOING TO REGULATE
THESE BUSINESSES OUT
OF EXISTENCE.
WHEN I GO AROUND,
LESTER, I TELL YOU
THIS, I'VE BEEN ALL
OVER, AND WHEN I GO
AROUND, DESPITE THE
TAX CUT, THE THINGS
THAT BUSINESSES AND
PEOPLE LIKE THE MOST
IS THE FACT THAT I'M
CUTTING REGULATION.
YOU HAVE REGULATIONS
ON TOP OF REGULATIONS,
AND NEW COMPANIES
CANNOT FORM AND OLD
COMPANIES ARE GOING
OUT OF BUSINESS AND
YOU WANT TO INCREASE
THE REGULATIONS AND
MAKE THEM EVEN WORSE.
I'M GOING TO CUT
REGULATIONS.
I'M GOING TO CUT TAXES
BIG LEAGUE AND YOU'RE
GOING TO RAISE TAXES
BIG LEAGUE.
END OF STORY.
>> LET ME GET YOU TO
PAUSE RIGHT THERE.
WE'RE GOING TO MOVE
INTO THE NEXT SEGMENT.
WE'RE GOING TO TALK --
>> THAT CAN'T BE
LEFT --
>> PLEASE, TAKE 30
SECONDS.
>> I KIND OF ASSUMED
THAT THERE WOULD BE A
LOT OF THESE CHARGES
AND CLAIMS AND SO --
>> FACTS.
>> -- WE HAVE TAKEN
THE HOME PAGE OF MY
WEBSITE,
HILLARYCLINTON.COM AND
TURNED IT INTO A FACT
CHECKER SO IF YOU WANT
TO SEE IN REALTIME
WHAT THE FACTS ARE,
PLEASE GO AND TAKE A
LOOK.
BECAUSE --
>> AND TAKE A LOOK AT
MINE ALSO AND YOU'LL
SEE.
>> WILL NOT ADD A
PENNY TO THE DEBT AND
YOUR PLANS WOULD ADD
$5 TRILLION TO THE
DEBT.
WHAT I HAVE PROPOSED
WOULD CUT REGULATIONS
AND STREAMLINE THEM
FOR SMALL BUSINESSES.
WHAT I HAVE PROPOSED
WOULD BE PAID FOR BY
RAISING TAXES ON THE
WEALTHY BECAUSE THEY
HAVE MADE ALL THE
GAINS IN THE ECONOMY
AND I THINK IT'S TIME
THAT THE WEALTHY AND
CORPORATIONS PAID
THEIR FAIR SHARE TO
SUPPORT THIS COUNTRY.
>> YOU JUST OPENED THE
NEXT SEGMENT.
>> COULD I JUST FINISH
THAT?
I THINK I SHOULD.
YOU GO TO HER WEBSITE
AND TAKE A LOOK AT HER
WEBSITE, SHE'S GOING
TO RAISE TAXES $1.3
TRILLION.
>> MR. TRUMP --
>> AND LOOK AT HER
WEBSITE.
YOU KNOW WHAT, IT'S NO
DIFFERENT THAN THIS.
SHE'S TELLING US HOW
TO FIGHT ISIS.
GO TO HER WEBSITE.
SHE TELLS YOU HOW TO
FIGHT ISIS ON HER
WEBSITE.
I DON'T THINK GENERAL
DOUGLAS MacARTHUR
WOULD LIKE THAT TOO
MUCH.
>> THE NEXT SEGMENT --
>> AT LEAST I HAVE A
PLAN TO FIGHT ISIS.
>> NO, NO, YOU'RE
TELLING THE ENEMY
EVERYTHING I WANT TO
DO.
>> NO, WE'RE NOT.
>> SEE, YOU TELLING
THE ENEMY EVERYTHING
YOU WANT TO DO.
NO WONDER YOU'VE,
FIGHTING -- NO WONDER
YOU'VE BEEN FIGHTING
ISIS YOUR ENTIRE ADULT
LIFE.
>> THAT'S A -- GO TO
THE -- PLEASE, THE
FACT CHECKERS, GET TO
WORK.
>> YOU ARE UNPACKING A
LOT HERE.
WE'RE STILL ON THE
ISSUE OF ACHIEVING
PROSPERITY.
AND I WANT TO TALK
ABOUT TAXES.
THE FUNDAMENTAL
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE
TWO OF YOU CONCERNS
THE WEALTHY.
SECRETARY CLINTON,
YOU'RE CALLING FOR A
TAX INCREASE ON THE
WEALTHIEST AMERICANS.
I'D LIKE YOU TO
FURTHER DEFEND THAT.
MR. TRUMP, YOU'RE
CALLING FOR TAX CUTS
FOR THE WEALTHY.
I'D LIKE YOU TO DEFEND
THAT.
THE NEXT TWO-MINUTE
ANSWER GOES TO YOU,
MR. TRUMP.
>> I'M CALLING FOR
MAJOR JOBS.
THE WEALTHY ARE GOING
TO CREATE TREMENDOUS
JOBS.
GOING TO EXPAND THEIR
COMPANIES, THEY'RE
GOING TO DO A
TREMENDOUS JOB.
I'M GETTING RID OF THE
INTEREST PROVISION AND
IF YOU REALLY LOOK,
IT'S NOT A TAX -- IT'S
REALLY NOT A GREAT
THING FOR THE WEALTHY.
IT'S A GREAT THING FOR
MIDDLE CLASS.
IT'S A GREAT THING FOR
COMPANIES TO EXPAND.
AND WHEN THESE PEOPLE
ARE GOING TO PUT
BILLIONS AND BILLIONS
OF DOLLARS INTO
COMPANIES AND WHEN
THEY'RE GOING TO BRING
$2.5 TRILLION BACK
FROM OVERSEAS, WHERE
THEY CAN'T BRING THE
MONEY BACK BECAUSE
POLITICIANS LIKE
SECRETARY CLINTON
WON'T ALLOW THEM TO
BRING THE MONEY BACK
BECAUSE THE TAXES ARE
SO ONEROUS, AND THE
BUREAUCRATIC RED TAPE,
SO WHAT -- IS SO BAD.
WHAT THEY'RE DOING IS
LEAVING OUR COUNTRY
AND THEY'RE, BELIEVE
IT OR NOT, LEAVING
BECAUSE TAXES ARE TOO
HIGH AND BECAUSE SOME
OF THEM HAVE LOTS OF
MONEY OUTSIDE OF OUR
COUNTRY AND INSTEAD OF
BRINGING IT BACK AND
PUTTING THE MONEY TO
WORK BECAUSE THEY
CAN'T WORK OUT A DEAL
TO, AND EVERYBODY
AGREES IT SHOULD BE
BROUGHT BACK, INSTEAD
OF THAT, THEY'RE
LEAVING OUR COUNTRY TO
GET THEIR MONEY
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T
BRING THEIR MONEY BACK
INTO OUR COUNTRY
BECAUSE OF
BUREAUCRATIC RED TAPE
BECAUSE THEY CAN'T GET
TOGETHER.
BECAUSE WE HAVE A
PRESIDENT THAT CAN'T
SIT THEM AROUND A
TABLE AND GET THEM TO
APPROVE SOMETHING AND
HERE'S THE THING,
REPUBLICANS AND
DEMOCRATS AGREE THAT
THIS SHOULD BE DONE.
$2.5 TRILLION.
I HAPPEN TO THINK IT'S
DOUBLE THAT.
PROBABLY $5 TRILLION
THAT WE CAN BRING INTO
OUR COUNTRY, LESTER,
AND WITH A LITTLE
LEADERSHIP YOU'D GET
IT IN HERE VERY
QUICKLY AND IT COULD
BE PUT TO USE ON THE
INNER CITIES AND LOTS
OF OTHER THINGS AND IT
WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL BUT
WE HAVE NO LEADERSHIP
AND HONESTLY, THAT
STARTS WITH SECRETARY
CLINTON.
>> ALL RIGHT.
YOU HAVE IS TWO
MINUTES OF THE SAME
QUESTION TO DEFEND TAX
INCREASES ON THE
WEALTHIEST AMERICANS,
SECRETARY CLINTON.
>> I HAVE A FEELING BY
THE END OF THIS
EVENING I'M GOING TO
BE BLAMED FOR
EVERYTHING THAT'S EVER
HAPPENED.
>> WHY NOT.
>> WHY NOT, YEAH.
WHY NOT.
YOU KNOW, JUST JOIN
THE DEBATE BY SAYING
MORE CRAZY THINGS.
NOW --
>> HEY, THERE'S
NOTHING CRAZY ABOUT
NOT LETTING OUR
COMPANIES BRING THEIR
MONEY BACK INTO THEIR
COUNTRY.
>> THIS IS SECRETARY
CLINTON'S TWO MINUTES,
PLEASE.
>> YES.
>> WELL, LET'S START
THE CLOCK AGAIN,
LESTER.
WE'VE LOOKED AT YOUR
TAX PROPOSALS.
I DON'T SEE CHANGES IN
THE CORPORATE TAX
RATES OR THE KINDS OF
PROPOSALS YOU'RE
REFERRING TO THAT
WOULD CAUSE THE
REPATEUATION.
>> YOU DIDN'T READ IT.
>> I HAPPEN TO SUPPORT
THAT IN A WAY THAT
WILL ACTUALLY WORK TO
OUR BENEFIT.
BUT WHEN I LOOK AT
WHAT YOU HAVE
PROPOSED, YOU HAVE
WHAT IS CALLED NOW THE
TRUMP LOOPHOLE BECAUSE
IT WOULD SO ADVANTAGE
YOU AND THE BUSINESS
YOU DO.
YOU'VE PROPOSED --
>> WHO GAVE IT THAT
NAME?
THE FIRST EVER -- WHO
GAVE IT THAT --
>> THIS IS SECRETARY
CLINTON'S --
>> $4 BILLION TAX
BENEFIT FOR YOUR
FAMILY.
AND WHEN YOU LOOK
AT --
>> HOW MUCH, HOW MUCH?
LESTER, HOW MUCH?
>> IT S AS I SAID,
TRUMPED UP TRICKLE
DOWN.
TRICKLE DOWN DID NOT
WORK.
IT GOT US INTO THE
MESS WE WERE IN 2008
AND 2009.
SLASHING TAXES ON THE
WEALTHY HASN'T WORKED,
AND A LOT OF REALLY
SMART WEALTHY PEOPLE
KNOW THAT.
AND THEY ARE SAYING,
HEY, WE NEED TO DO
MORE TO MAKE THE
CONTRIBUTIONS WE
SHOULD BE MAKING TO
REBUILD THE MIDDLE
CLASS.
I DON'T THINK TOP-DOWN
WORKS IN AMERICA.
I THINK BUILDING THE
MIDDLE CLASS,
INVESTING IN THE
MIDDLE CLASS, MAKING
COLLEGE DEBT FREE SO
MORE YOUNG PEOPLE CAN
GET THEIR EDUCATION.
HELPING PEOPLE
REFINANCE THEIR TAX --
THEIR DEBT FROM
COLLEGE AT A LOWER
RATE.
THOSE ARE THE KINDS OF
THINGS THAT WILL
REALLY BOOST THE
ECONOMY.
BROAD-BASED INCLUSIVE
GROWTH IS WHAT WE NEED
IN AMERICA.
NOT MORE ADVANTAGES
FOR PEOPLE AT THE VERY
TOP.
>> MR. TRUMP --
>> TYPICAL POLITICIAN.
ALL TALK, NO ACTION.
SOUNDS GOOD, DOESN'T
WORK.
NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.
OUR COUNTRY IS
SUFFERING BECAUSE
PEOPLE LIKE SECRETARY
CLINTON HAVE MADE SUCH
BAD DECISIONS IN TERMS
OF OUR JOBS, AND IN
TERMS OF WHAT'S GOING
ON.
NOW, LOOK, WE HAVE THE
WORST REVIVAL OF AN
ECONOMY SINCE THE
GREAT DEPRESSION, AND
BELIEVE ME, WE'RE IN A
BUBBLE RIGHT NOW AND
THE ONLY THING THAT
LOOKS GOOD IS THE
STOCK MARKET, BUT IF
YOU RAISE INTEREST
RATES EVEN A LITTLE
BIT, THAT'S GOING TO
COME CRASHING DOWN.
WE ARE IN A BIG, FAT,
UGLY BUBBLE, AND WE
BETTER BE AWFULLY
CAREFUL AND WE HAVE A
FED THAT'S DOING
POLITICAL THINGS.
THIS JANET YELLEN OF
THE FED, THE FED IS
DOING POLITICAL BY
KEEPING THE INTEREST
RATES AT THIS LEVEL,
AND BELIEVE ME, THE
DAY OBAMA GOES OFF AND
HE LEAVES AND GOES OUT
TO THE GOLF COURSE FOR
THE REST OF HIS LIFE
TO PLAY GOLF, WHEN
THEY RAISE INTEREST
RATES, YOU'RE GOING TO
SEE SOME VERY BAD
THINGS HAPPEN BECAUSE
THE FED IS NOT DOING
THEIR JOB.
THE FED IS BEING MORE
POLITICAL THAN
SECRETARY CLINTON.
>> MR. TRUMP, WE'RE
TALKING ABOUT THE
BURDEN THAT AMERICANS
HAVE TO FAY, YET YOU
HAVE NOT RELEASED YOUR
TAX RETURNS AND THE
REASON NOMINEES HAVE
RELEASED THEIR RETURNS
FOR DECADES IS SO
VOTERS WILL KNOW IF
THEIR POTENTIAL
PRESIDENT OWES MONEY
TO, WHO HE OWES IT TO
AND ANY BUSINESS
CONFLICTS.
DON'T AMERICANS HAVE A
RIGHT TO KNOW IF THERE
ARE ANY CONFLICTS OF
INTEREST?
>> I DON'T MIND
RELEASING.
I'M UNDER A ROUTINE
AUDIT.
IT WILL BE RELEASED.
AS SOON AS THE AUDIT
IS FINISHED, IT WILL
BE RELEASED.
YOU WILL LEARN MORE
ABOUT DONALD TRUMP BY
GOING DOWN TO THE
FEDERAL ELECTIONS
WHERE I FILED A
104-PAGE, ESSENTIALLY,
FINANCIALLY SAPEN OF
SORTS, FORMS THEY
HAVE.
IT SHOWS INCOME.
THE INCOME, I JUST
LOOKED TODAY, THE
INCOME IS FILED AT
$694 MILLION FOR THIS
PAST YEAR.
$694 MILLION.
IF YOU WOULD HAVE TOLD
ME I WAS GOING TO MAKE
THAT 15 OR 20 YEARS
AGO, I WOULD HAVE BEEN
VERY SURPRISED.
THAT'S THE KIND OF
THINKING OUR COUNTRY
NEEDS.
WHEN WE HAVE A COUNTRY
THAT'S GOING SO BADLY,
THAT'S BEING RIPPED
OFF BY EVERY SINGLE
COUNTRY IN THE WORLD,
IT'S THE KIND OF
THINKING THAT OUR
COUNTRY NEEDS BECAUSE
EVERYBODY -- LESTER,
WE HAVE A TRADE
DEFICIT WITH ALL OF
THE COUNTRIES THAT WE
DO BUSINESS WITH OF
ALMOST $800 BILLION A
YEAR.
YOU KNOW WHAT THAT IS?
THAT MEANS WHO'S
NEGOTIATING THESE
TRADE DEALS?
WE HAVE PEOPLE THAT
ARE POLITICAL HACKS
NEGOTIATING OUR TRADE
DEALS.
>> THE IRS SAYS AN
AUDIT OF YOUR TAXES --
YOU'RE PERFECTLY FREE
TO RELEASE YOUR TAXES
DURING AN AUDIT.
SO THE QUESTION, DOES
THE PUBLIC'S RIGHT TO
KNOW OUTWEIGH YOUR
PERSONAL --
>> WELL, I TOLD YOU, I
WILL RELEASE THEM AS
SOON AS THE AUDIT --
LOOK, I'VE BEEN UNDER
AUDIT ALMOST FOR 15
YEARS.
I KNOW A LOT OF
WEALTHY PEOPLE THAT
HAVE NEVER BEEN
AUDITED.
I SAID, DO YOU GET
AUDITED?
I GET AUDITED ALMOST
EVERY YEAR.
AND IN A WAY, I SHOULD
BE COMPLAINING.
I'M NOT EVEN
COMPLAINING.
I DON'T MIND IT.
IT'S ALMOST BECOME A
WAY OF LIFE.
I GET AUDITED BY THE
IRS.
OTHER PEOPLE DON'T.
I WILL SAY THIS.
WE HAVE A SITUATION IN
THIS COUNTRY THAT HAS
TO BE TAKEN CARE OF.
I WILL RELEASE MY TAX
RETURNS AGAINST MY
LAWYER'S WISHES.
WHEN SHE RELEASES HER
33,000 E-MAILS THAT
HAVE BEEN DELETED.
AS SOON AS SHE
RELEASES THEM, I WILL
RELEASE -- I WILL
RELEASE MY TAX RETURNS
AND THAT'S AGAINST, MY
LAWYERS THEY SAY DON'T
DO IT.
I WILL TELL YOU THIS.
IN FACT, WATCHING
SHOWS, READING THE
PAPERS, ALMOST EVERY
LAWYER SAYS YOU DON'T
RELEASE YOUR RETURNS
UNTIL THE AUDIT'S
COMPLETE.
WHEN THE AUDIT'S
COMPLETE, I'LL DO IT
BUT I WOULD GO AGAINST
THEM IF SHE RELEASES
HER E-MAILS
>> SO IT'S NEGOTIABLE?
>> IT'S NOT
NEGOTIABLE, NO, LET
HER RELEASE -- WHY DID
SHE DELETE 33,000 --
>> I'LL LET HER ANSWER
THAT.
LET ME ADMONISH THE
AUDIENCE ONE MORE
TIME.
THERE WAS AN
AGREEMENT, WE ASKED
YOU TO BE SILENT.
IT WOULD BE HELPFUL
FOR US.
SECRETARY CLINTON?
>> I THINK YOU'VE SEEN
ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF
BAIT AND SWITCH HERE.
FOR 40 YEARS, EVERYONE
RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT
HAS RELEASED THEIR TAX
RETURNS.
YOU CAN GO AND SEE
NEARLY, I THINK, 39,
40 YEARS OF OUR TAX
RETURNS, BUT EVERYONE
HAS DONE IT.
WE KNOW THE IRS HAS
MADE CLEAR THERE IS NO
PROHIBITION ON
RELEASING IT WHEN
YOU'RE UNDER AUDIT.
SO YOU'VE GOT TO ASK
YOURSELF, WHY WON'T HE
RELEASE HIS TAX
RETURNS?
AND I THINK THERE MAY
BE A COUPLE OF
REASONS.
FIRST, MAYBE HE'S NOT
AS RICH AS HE SAYS HE
IS.
SECOND, MAYBE HE'S NOT
AS CHARITABLE AS HE
CLAIMS TO BE.
THIRD, WE DON'T KNOW
ALL OF HIS BUSINESS
DEALINGS, BUT WE HAVE
BEEN TOLD THROUGH
INVESTIGATIVE
REPORTING THAT HE OWES
ABOUT $650 MILLION TO
WALL STREET AND
FOREIGN BANKS.
OR MAYBE HE DOESN'T
WANT THE AMERICAN
PEOPLE, ALL OF YOU
WATCHING TONIGHT, TO
KNOW THAT HE'S PAID
NOTHING IN FEDERAL
TAXES BECAUSE THE ONLY
YEARS THAT ANYBODY'S
EVER SEEN WERE A
COUPLE OF YEARS WHEN
HE HAD TO TURN THEM
OVER TO STATE
AUTHORITIES WHEN HE
WAS TRYING TO GET A
CASINO LICENSE AND
THEY SHOWED HE DIDN'T
PAY ANY FEDERAL INCOME
TAX.
>> THAT MAKES ME
SMART.
>> IF HE'S PAID ZERO,
THAT MEANS ZERO FOR
TROOPS, ZERO FOR VETS,
ZERO FOR SCHOOLS OR
HEALTH, AND I THINK
PROBABLY HE'S NOT ALL
THAT ENTHUSIASTIC
ABOUT HAVING THE REST
OF OUR COUNTRY SEE
WHAT THE REAL REASONS
ARE BECAUSE IT MUST BE
SOMETHING REALLY
IMPORTANT, EVEN
TERRIBLE THAT HE'S
TRYING TO HIDE.
AND THE FINANCIAL
DISCLOSURE STATEMENT,
THEY DON'T GIVE YOU
THE TAX RATE.
THEY DON'T GIVE YOU
ALL THE DETAILS THAT
TAX RETURNS WOULD.
AND IT JUST SEEMS TO
ME THAT THIS IS
SOMETHING THAT THE
AMERICAN PEOPLE
DESERVE TO SEE AND I
HAVE NO REASON TO
BELIEVE THAT HE'S EVER
GOING TO RELEASE HIS
TAX RETURNS BECAUSE
THERE'S SOMETHING HE'S
HIDING.
ANDGUESSING AT WHAT
IT MIGHT BE THAT HE'S
HIDING BUT I THINK THE
QUESTION IS WERE HE
EVER TO GET NEAR THE
WHITE HOUSE, WHAT
WOULD BE THOSE
CONFLICTS?
WHO DOES HE OWE MONEY
TO?
WELL, HE OWES YOU THE
ANSWERS TO THAT.
AND HE SHOULD PROVIDE
THEM.
>> HE ALSO -- HE ALSO
RAISED THE ISSUE OF
YOUR E-MAILS.
YOU WANT TO RESPOND TO
THAT?
>> I DO.
YOU KNOW, I MADE A
MISTAKE USING A
PRIVATE E-MAIL.
>> THAT'S FOR SURE.
>> AND IF I HAD TO DO
IT OVER AGAIN, I WOULD
OBVIOUSLY DO IT
DIFFERENTLY, BUT I'M
NOT GOING TO MAKE ANY
EXCUSES.
IT WAS A MISTAKE AND I
TAKE RESPONSIBILITY
FOR THAT.
>> MR. TRUMP?
>> THAT WAS MORE THAN
A MISTAKE.
THAT WAS DONE
PURPOSELY.
OKAY?
THAT WAS NOT A
MISTAKE.
THAT WAS DONE
PURPOSELY.
WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR
STAFF TAKING THE 5th
AMENDMENT, TAKING THE
5th SO THEY'RE NOT
PROSECUTED, WHEN YOU
HAVE THE MAN THAT SET
UP THE ILLEGAL SERVER
TAKING THE 5th, I
THINK IT'S DISGRACEFUL
AND BELIEVE ME, THIS
COUNTRY THINKS IT'S --
REALLY THINKS IT'S
DISGRACEFUL ALSO.
AS FAR AS MY TAX
RETURNS, YOU DON'T
LEARN THAT MUCH FROM
TAX RETURNS.
THAT I CAN TELL YOU.
YOU LEARN A LOT FROM
FINANCIAL DISCLOSURE.
AND YOU SHOULD GO DOWN
AND TAKE A LOOK AT
THAT.
THE OTHER THING, I'M
EXTREMELY
UNDERLEVERAGED.
THE REPORT THAT SAID
$650 MILLION WHICH, BY
THE WAY, A LOT OF
FRIENDS OF MINE THAT
KNOW MY BUSINESS SAYS
BOY, THAT'S NOT A LOT
OF MONEY RELATIVE TO
WHAT I HAD.
THE BUILDINGS THAT
WERE IN QUESTION, THEY
SAID IN THE SAME
REPORT WHICH WAS
ACTUALLY IT WASN'T
EVEN A BAD STORY, TO
BE HONEST WITH YOU,
BUT THE BUILDINGS ARE
WORTH $3.9 BILLION.
THE $650 ISN'T EVEN ON
THAT.
IT'S NOT $650.
IT'S MUCH LESS THAN
THAT.
I CAN GIVE YOU A LIST
OF BANKS IF THAT WOULD
HELP YOU.
I CAN GIVE YOU A LIST
OF BANKS, VERY FINE
INSTITUTIONS, VERY
FINE BANKS.
I COULD DO THAT VERY
QUICKLY.
I'M VERY
UNDERLEVERAGED.
I HAVE A GREAT
COMPANY.
I HAVE A TREMENDOUS
INCOME.
THE REASON I SAY THAT
IS NOT IN A
BRAGEDOSIOUS WAY.
IT'S ABOUT TIME THIS
COUNTRY HAS SOMEBODY
RUNNING IT THAT HAS AN
IDEA ABOUT MONEY.
WHEN WE HAVE $20
TRILLION IN DEBT AND
OUR COUNTRY'S A MESS,
YOU KNOW, IT'S ONE
THING TO HAVE $20
TRILLION IN DEBT AND
OUR ROIDS ARE GOOD AND
OUR BRIDGES ARE GOOD
AND EVERYTHING'S IN
GREAT SHAPE, OUR
AIRPORTS -- OUR ARNT
AIRPORTS ARE LIKE FROM
A THIRD-WORLD COUNTRY.
YOU LAND AT LaGUARDIA,
LAND AT KENNEDY, LAND
AT L.A.X., LAND AT
NEWARK AND COME IN
FROM DUBAI AND QATAR,
COME IN FROM CHINA,
YOU SEE THESE
INCREDIBLE AIRPORTS
AND YOU LAND -- WE'VE
BECOME A THIRD-WORLD
COUNTRY.
SO, THE WORST OF ALL
THINGS HAS HAPPENED.
WE OWE $20 TRILLION
AND WE'RE A MESS.
WE HAVEN'T EVEN
STARTED.
AND WE'VE SPENT $6
TRILLION IN THE MIDDLE
EAST ACCORDING TO A
REPORT THAT I JUST
SAW.
WHETHER IT'S $6
TRILLION OR $5
TRILLION, LOOKS LIKE
IT'S $6 TRILLION.
$6 TRILLION IN THE
MIDDLE EAST, WE COULD
HAVE REBUILT OUR
COUNTRIES TWICE.
IT'S REALLY A SHAME.
IT'S POLITICIANS LIKE
SECRETARY CLINTON THAT
HAVE CAUSED THIS
PROBLEM.
OUR COUNTRY HAS
TREMENDOUS PROBLEMS.
WE'RE A DEBTOR NATION.
WE'RE A SERIOUS DEBTOR
NATION.
AND WE HAVE A COUNTRY
THAT NEEDS NEW ROADS,
NEW TUNNELS, NEW
BRIDGES, NEW AIRPORTS,
NEW SCHOOLS, NEW
HOSPITALS.
AND WE DON'T HAVE THE
MONEY BECAUSE IT'S
BEEN SQUANDERED ON SO
MANY OF YOUR IDEAS.
>> LET YOU RESPOND --
>> MAYBE BECAUSE YOU
HAVEN'T PAID ANY
FEDERAL INCOME TAX FOR
A LOT OF YEARS AND THE
OTHER THING I THINK IS
IMPORTANT --
>> IT WOULD BE
SQUANDERED, TOO,
BELIEVE ME.
>> -- IS IF YOUR MAIN
CLAIM TO BE PRESIDENT
OF THE UNITED STATES
IS YOUR BUSINESS, THEN
I THINK WE SHOULD TALK
ABOUT THAT.
YOU KNOW, YOUR
CAMPAIGN MANAGER SAID
THAT YOU BUILT A LOT
OF BUSINESSES ON THE
BACKS OF LITTLE GUYS,
AND INDEED, I HAVE MET
A LOT OF THE PEOPLE
WHO WERE STIFFED BY
YOU AND YOUR
BUSINESSES, DONALD.
I'VE MET DISHWASHERS,
PAINTERS, ARCHITECTS,
GLASS INSTALLERS,
MARBLE INSTALLERS,
DRAPERY INSTALLERS
LIKE MY DAD WAS, WHO
YOU REFUSED TO PAY
WHEN THEY FINISHED THE
WORK THAT YOU ASKED
THEM TO DO.
WE HAVE AN ARCHITECT
IN THE AUDIENCE WHO
DESIGNED ONE OF YOUR
CLUBHOUSES AT ONE OF
YOUR GOLF COURSES.
IT'S A BEAUTIFUL
FACILITY.
IT IMMEDIATELY WAS PUT
TO USE.
AND YOU WOULDN'T PAY
WHAT THE MAN NEEDED TO
BE PAID WHAT HE WAS
CHARGING YOU --
>> MAYBE HE DIDN'T DO
A GOOD JOB AND I WAS
UNSATISFIED WITH HIS
WORK WHICH OUR COUNTRY
SHOULD DO, TOO.
>> THE THOUSANDS OF
PEOPLE THAT YOU HAVE
STIFFED OVER THE
COURSE OF YOUR
BUSINESS NOT DESERVE
SOME KIND OF APOLOGY
FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS
TAKEN THEIR LABOR,
TAKEN THE GOODS THAT
THEY PRODUCED AND THEN
REFUSED TO PAY THEM?
I CAN ONLY SAY THAT
I'M CERTAINLY RELIEVED
THAT MY LATE FATHER
NEVER DID BUSINESS
WITH YOU.
HE PROVIDED A GOOD
MIDDLE CLASS LIFE FOR
US, BUT THE PEOPLE HE
WORKED FOR, HE
EXPECTED THE BARGAIN
TO BE KEPT ON BOTH
SIDES.
AND WHEN WE TALK ABOUT
YOUR BUSINESS, YOU'VE
TAKEN BUSINESS
BANKRUPTCY SIX TIMES.
THERE ARE A LOT OF
GREAT BUSINESSPEOPLE
THAT HAVE NEVER TAKEN
BANKRUPTCY ONCE.
YOU CALL YOURSELF THE
KING OF DEBT.
YOU TALK ABOUT
LEVERAGE.
YOU EVEN AT ONE TIME
SUGGESTED THAT YOU
WOULD TRY TO NEGOTIATE
DOWN THE --
>> WRONG.
>> -- NATIONAL DEBT OF
THE UNITED STATES.
>> WRONG.
>> WELL, SOMETIMES
THERE'S NOT A DIRECT
TRANSFER OF SKILLS
FROM BUSINESS TO
GOVERNMENT, BUT
SOMETIMES WHAT
HAPPENED IN BUSINESS
WOULD BE REALLY BAD
FOR GOVERNMENT.
>> LET'S LET MR.
TRUMP --
>> WE NEED TO BE VERY
CLEAR ABOUT THAT.
>> I DO THINK IT'S
TIME.
LOOK, IT'S ALL WORDS.
IT'S ALL SOUND BITES.
I BUILT AN
UNBELIEVABLE COMPANY.
SOME OF THE GREATEST
ASSETS ANYWHERE IN THE
WORLD, REAL ESTATE
ASSETS ANYWHERE IN THE
WORLD BEYOND THE
UNITED STATES.
IN EUROPE, LOTS OF
DIFFERENT PLACES.
IT'S AN UNBELIEVABLE
COMPANY, BUT ON
OCCASION, FOUR TIMES,
WE USED CERTAIN LAWS
THAT ARE THERE AND
WHEN SECRETARY CLINTON
TALKS ABOUT PEOPLE
THAT DIDN'T GET PAID,
FIRST OF ALL, THEY DID
GET PAID A LOT, BUT
TAKING ADVANTAGE OF
THE LAWS OF THE
NATION.
NOW, IF YOU WANT TO
CHANGE THE LAWS,
YOU'VE BEEN THERE A
LONG TIME, CHANGE THE
LAW.
BUT I TAKE ADVANTAGE
OF THE LAWS OF THE
NATION BECAUSE I'M
RUNNING A COMPANY, MY
OBLIGATION RIGHT NOW
IS TO DO WELL FOR
MYSELF, MY FAMILY, MY
EMPLOYEES, FOR MY
COMPANIES AND THAT'S
WHAT I DO.
BUT WHAT SHE DOESN'T
SAY IS THAT TENS OF
THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE
THAT ARE UNBELIEVABLY
HAPPY AND THEY LOVE
ME.
I'LL GIVE YOU AN
EXAMPLE.
WE'RE JUST OPENING UP
ON PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE
RIGHT NEXT TO THE
WHITE HOUSE, SO IF I
DON'T GET THERE ONE
WAY, I'M GOING TO GET
TO PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE
ANOTHER.
BUT WE'RE OPENING THE
OLD POST OFFICE.
UNDER BUDGET, AHEAD OF
SCHEDULE.
SAVED TREMENDOUS
MONEY.
I'M A YEAR AHEAD OF
SCHEDULE.
AND THAT'S WHAT THIS
COUNTRY SHOULD BE
DOING.
WE BUILD ROADS AND
THEY COST TWO, THREE,
FOUR TIMES WHAT
THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO
COST.
WE BUY PRODUCTS FOR
OUR MILITARY AND COME
AT COSTS THAT ARE SO
FAR ABOVE WHAT THEY'RE
SUPPOSED TO BE BECAUSE
WE DON'T HAVE PEOPLE
THAT KNOW WHAT THEY'RE
DOING.
WHEN WE LOOK AT THE
BUDGET, THE BUDGET IS
BAD TO A LARGE EXTENT
BECAUSE WE HAVE PEOPLE
THAT HAVE NO IDEA AS
TO WHAT TO DO AND HOW
TO BUY.
THE TRUMP
INTERNATIONAL IS WAY
UNDERBUDGET AND WAY
AHEAD OF SCHEDULE AND
WE SHOULD BE ABLE TO
DO THAT FOR OUR
COUNTRY.
>> WE'RE WELL BEHIND
SCHEDULE, SO I WANT TO
MOVE TO OUR NEXT
SEGMENT.
WE MOVE INTO OUR NEXT
SEGMENT TALKING ABOUT
AMERICA'S DIRECTION.
LET'S START BY TALKING
ABOUT RACE.
A SHARE OF AMERICANS
WHO SAY RACE RELATIONS
ARE BAD IN THIS
COUNTRY IS THE HIGHEST
IT'S BEEN IN DECADES.
MUCH OF IT AMPLIFIED
BY SHOOTINGS OF
AFRICAN-AMERICANS BY
POLICE.
AS WE'VE SEEN RECENTLY
IN CHARLOTTE AND
TULSA.
RACE HAS BEEN A BIG
ISSUE IN THIS
CAMPAIGN, AND ONE OF
YOU IS GOING TO HAVE
TO BRIDGE A VERY WIDE
AND BITTER GAP.
SO HOW DO YOU HEAL THE
DIVIDE?
SECRETARY CLINTON, YOU
GET TWO MINUTE MINUTES
ON THIS.
>> WELL, YOU'RE RIGHT.
RACE REMAINS A
SIGNIFICANT CHALLENGE
IN OUR COUNTRY.
UNFORTUNATELY, RACE
STILL DETERMINES TOO
MUCH.
OFTEN DETERMINES WHERE
PEOPLE LIVE,
DETERMINES WHAT KIND
OF EDUCATION IN THEIR
PUBLIC SCHOOLS THEY
CAN GET, AND, YES, IT
DETERMINES HOW THEY'RE
TREATED IN THE
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
SYSTEM.
WE'VE JUST SEEN THOSE
TWO TRAGIC EXAMPLES IN
BOTH TULSA AND
CHARLOTTE.
AND WE'VE GOT TO DO
SEVERAL THINGS AT THE
SAME TIME.
WE HAVE TO RESTORE
TRUST BETWEEN
COMMUNITIES AND THE
POLICE.
WE HAVE TO WORK TO
MAKE SURE THAT OUR
POLICE ARE USING THE
BEST TRAINING, THE
BEST TECHNIQUES, THAT
THEY'RE WELL PREPARED
TO USE FORCE ONLY WHEN
NECESSARY.
EVERYONE SHOULD BE
RESPECTED BY THE LAW
AND EVERYONE SHOULD
RESPECT THE LAW.
RIGHT NOW, THAT'S NOT
THE CASE IN A LOT OF
OUR NEIGHBORHOODS.
SO I HAVE EVER SINCE
THE FIRST DAY OF MY
CAMPAIGN CALLED FOR
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
REFORM.
I'VE LAID OUT A
PLATFORM THAT I THINK
WOULD BEGIN TO REMEDY
SOME OF THE PROBLEMS
WE HAVE IN THE
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
SYSTEM, BUT WE ALSO
HAVE TO RECOGNIZE IN
ADDITION TO THE
CHALLENGES THAT WE
FACE WITH POLICING,
THERE ARE SO MANY
GOOD, BRAVE POLICE
OFFICERS WHO EQUALLY
WANT REFORM.
SO WE HAVE TO BRING
COMMUNITIES TOGETHER
IN ORDER TO BEGIN
WORKING ON THAT AS A
MUTUAL GOAL.
AND WE'VE GOT TO GET
GUNS OUT OF THE HANDS
OF PEOPLE WHO SHOULD
NOT HAVE THEM.
THE GUN EPIDEMIC IS
THE LEADING CAUSE OF
DEATH OF YOUNG
AFRICAN-AMERICAN MEN.
MORE THAN THE NEXT
NINE CAUSES PUT
TOGETHER.
SO WE HAVE TO DO TWO
THINGS AS I SAID.
WE HAVE TO RESTORE
TRUST.
WE HAVE TO WORK WITH
THE POLICE.
WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE
THEY RESPECT THE
COMMUNITIES AND THE
COMMUNITIES RESPECT
THEM.
AND WE HAVE TO TACKLE
THE PLAGUE OF GUN
VIOLENCE WHICH IS A
BIG CONTRIBUTOR TO A
LOT OF THE PROBLEMS
THAT WE'RE SEEING
TODAY.
>> ALL RIGHT, MR.
TRUMP, YOU HAVE TWO
MINUTES.
HOW DO YOU HEAL THE
DIVIDE?
>> FIRST OF ALL,
SECRETARY CLINTON
DOESN'T WANT TO USE A
COUPLE OF WORDS AND
THAT'S LAW AND ORDER.
WE NEED LAW AND ORDER.
IF WE DON'T HAVE IT,
WE'RE NOT GOING TO
HAVE A COUNTRY, AND
WHEN I LOOK AT WHAT'S
GOING ON IN CHARLOTTE,
A CITY I LOVE, A CITY
WHERE I HAVE
INVESTMENTS, WHEN I
LOOK AT WHAT'S GOING
ON THROUGHOUT VARIOUS
PARTS OF OUR COUNTRY,
WHETHER IT'S -- I
MEAN, I CAN JUST KEEP
NAMING THEM ALL DAY
LONG.
WE NEED LAW AND ORDER
IN OUR COUNTRY AND I
JUST GOT TODAY THE, AS
YOU KNOW, THE
ENDORSEMENT OF THE
FRATERNAL ORDER OF
POLICE.
JUST CAME IN.
WE HAVE ENDORSEMENTS
FROM, I THINK, ALMOST
EVERY POLICE GROUP,
VERY -- I MEAN, A
LARGE PERCENTAGE OF
THEM IN THE UNITED
STATES.
WE HAVE A SITUATION
WHERE WE HAVE OUR
INNER CITIES,
AFRICAN-AMERICANS,
HISPANICS, ARE LIVING
IN HELL BECAUSE IT'S
SO DANGEROUS.
YOU WALK DOWN THE
STREET, YOU GET SHOT.
IN CHICAGO, THEY'VE
HAD THOUSANDS OF
SHOOTINGS, THOUSANDS
SINCE JANUARY 1st.
THOUSANDS OF
SHOOTINGS.
I SAY, WHERE IS THIS?
IS THIS A WAR-TORN
COUNTRY?
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
AND WE HAVE TO STOP
THE VIOLENCE.
WE HAVE TO BRING BACK
LAW AND ORDER.
IN A PLACE LIKE
CHICAGO WHERE
THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE
HAVE BEEN KILLED.
THOUSANDS OVER THE
LAST NUMBER OF YEARS.
IN FACT, ALMOST 4,000
HAVE BEEN KILLED SINCE
BARACK OBAMA BECAME
PRESIDENT.
OVER -- ALMOST 4,000
PEOPLE IN CHICAGO HAVE
BEEN KILLED.
WE HAVE TO BRING BACK
LAW AND ORDER.
NOW, WHETHER OR NOT IN
A PLACE LIKE CHICAGO
YOU DO STOP AND FRISK,
WHICH WORKED VERY
WELL, MAYOR GIULIANI
IS HERE, IT WORKED
VERY WELL IN NEW YORK.
IT BROUGHT THE CRIME
RATE WAY DOWN, BUT YOU
TAKE THE GUN AWAY FROM
CRIMINALS THAT
SHOULDN'T BE HAVING
IT.
WE HAVE GANGS ROAMING
THE STREET AND IN MANY
CASES THEY'RE
ILLEGALLY HERE.
ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
AND THEY HAVE GUNS.
AND THEY SHOOT PEOPLE.
AND WE HAVE TO BE VERY
STRONG AND WE HAVE TO
BE VERY VIGILANT.
WE HAVE TO BE -- WE
HAVE TO KNOW WHAT
WE'RE DOING.
RIGHT NOW, OUR POLICE
IN MANY CASES ARE
AFRAID TO DO ANYTHING.
WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR
INNER CITIES BECAUSE
AFRICAN-AMERICAN
COMMUNITIES ARE BEING
DECIMATED BY CRIME.
>> YOUR TWO MINUTES
HAS EXPIRED.
I DO WANT TO
FOLLOW-UP.
STOP AND FRISK WAS
RULED UNCONSTITUTIONAL
IN NEW YORK BECAUSE IT
LARGELY SINGLED OUT
BLACK AND HISPANIC
YOUNG MEN.
>> NO, YOU'RE WRONG.
IT WENT BEFORE A JUDGE
WHO WAS A VERY AGAINST
POLICE JUDGE.
IT WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM
HER AND OUR MAYOR, OUR
NEW MAYOR, REFUSED TO
GO FORWARD WITH THE
CASE.
THEY WOULD HAVE WANTED
IT REPEALED.
IF YOU LOOK AT IT
THROUGHOUT THE
COUNTRY, THERE ARE
MANY PLACES --
>> THE ARGUMENT IS
IT'S A FORM OF RACIAL
PROFILING.
>> NO, THE ARGUMENT IS
WE HAVE TO TAKE THE
GUNS AWAY FROM THESE
PEOPLE THAT HAVE THEM
AND ARE BAD PEOPLE
THAT SHOULDN'T HAVE
THEM.
THESE ARE FELONS.
THESE ARE PEOPLE THAT
ARE BAD PEOPLE THAT
SHOULDN'T BE -- WHEN
YOU HAVE 3,000
SHOOTINGS IN CHICAGO
FROM JANUARY 1st, WHEN
YOU HAVE 4,000 PEOPLE
KILLED IN CHICAGO BY
GUNS FROM THE
BEGINNING OF THE
PRESIDENCY OF BARACK
OBAMA, HIS HOMETOWN,
YOU HAVE TO HAVE STOP
AND FRISK.
YOU NEED MORE POLICE.
YOU NEED A BETTER
COMMUNITY, YOU KNOW,
RELATION.
YOU DON'T HAVE GOOD
COMMUNITY RELATIONS IN
KMAUG.
CHICAGO.
IT'S TERRIBLE.
I HAVE PROPERTY THERE.
IT'S TERRIBLE WHAT'S
GOING ON IN CHICAGO.
YOU GO TO FERGUSON, GO
TO SO MANY DIFFERENT
PLACES.
YOU NEED BETTER
RELATIONSHIPS.
I AGREE WITH SECRETARY
CLINTON ON THIS.
YOU NEED BETTER
RELATIONSHIPS BETWEEN
THE COMMUNITIES AND
THE POLICE BECAUSE IN
SOME CASES IT'S NOT
GOOD.
BUT YOU LOOK AT
DALLAS, WHERE THE
RELATIONSHIPS WERE
REALLY STUDIED.
THE RELATIONSHIPS WERE
REALLY A BEAUTIFUL
THING.
AND THEN FIVE POLICE
OFFICERS WERE KILLED.
ONE NIGHT, VERY
VIOLENTLY.
SO THERE'S SOME BAD
THINGS GOING ON.
SOME REALLY BAD
THINGS.
>> SECRETARY
CLINTON --
>> BUT WE NEED --
LESTER, WE NEED LAW
AND ORDER AND WE NEED
LAW AND ORDER IN THE
INNER CITIES BECAUSE
THE PEOPLE THAT ARE
MOST AFFECTED BY
WHAT'S HAPPENING ARE
AFRICAN-AMERICAN AND
HISPANIC PEOPLE.
AND IT'S VERY UNFAIR
TO THEM WHAT OUR
POLITICIANS ARE
ALLOWING TO HAPPEN.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON.
>> WELL, I'VE HEARD --
I'VE HEARD DONALD SAY
THIS AT HIS RALLIES
AND IT'S REALLY
UNFORTUNATE THAT HE
PAINTS SUCH A DIRE
NEGATIVE PICTURE OF
BLACK COMMUNITIES IN
OUR COUNTRY.
THE VIBRANCY OF THE
BLACK CHURCH, THE
BLACK BUSINESSES THAT
EMPLOY SO MANY PEOPLE.
THE OPPORTUNITIES THAT
SO MANY FAMILIES ARE
WORKING TO PROVIDE FOR
THEIR KIDS.
THERE'S A LOT THAT WE
SHOULD BE PROUD OF AND
WE SHOULD BE
SUPPORTING AND LIFTING
UP, BUT WE DO ALWAYS
HAVE TO MAKE SURE WE
KEEP PEOPLE SAFE.
THERE ARE THE RIGHT
WAYS OF DOING IT AND
THEN THERE ARE WAYS
THAT ARE INEFFECTIVE.
STOP AND FRISK WAS
FOUND TO BE
UNCONSTITUTIONAL AND
IN PART BECAUSE IT WAS
INEFFECTIVE.
IT DID NOT DO WHAT IT
NEEDED TO DO.
NOW, I BELIEVE IN
COMMUNITY POLICING
AND, IN FACT, VIOLENT
CRIME IS ONE-HALF OF
WHAT IT WAS IN 1991.
PROPERTY CRIME IS DOWN
40%.
WE DON'T WANT TO SEE
IT CREEP BACK UP.
WE'VE HAD 25 YEARS OF
VERY GOOD COOPERATION,
BUT THERE WERE SOME
PROBLEM, SOME
UNINTENDED
CONSEQUENCES.
TOO MANY YOUNG
AFRICAN-AMERICAN AND
LATINO MEN ENDED UP IN
JAIL FOR NONVIOLENT
OFFENSES AND IT'S JUST
A FACT THAT IF YOU'RE
A YOUNG
AFRICAN-AMERICAN MAN
AND YOU DO THE SAME
THING AS A YOUNG WHITE
MAN, YOU ARE MORE
LIKELY TO BE ARRESTED,
CHARGED, CONVICTED AND
INCARCERATED.
SO WE'VE GOT TO
ADDRESS THE SYSTEMIC
RACISM IN OUR CRIMINAL
JUSTICE SYSTEM.
WE CANNOT JUST SAY LAW
AND ORDER.
WE HAVE TO SAY WE --
WE HAVE TO COME
FORWARD WITH A PLAN
THAT IS GOING TO
DIVERT PEOPLE FROM THE
CRIMINAL JUSTICE
SYSTEM, DEAL WITH
MANDATORY MINIMUM
SENTENCES WHICH HAVE
PUT TOO MANY PEOPLE
AWAY FOR TOO LONG FOR
DOING TOO LITTLE.
WE NEED TO HAVE MORE
SECOND-CHANCE
PROGRAMS.
I'M GLAD THAT WE'RE
ENDING PRIVATE PRISONS
IN THE FEDERAL SYSTEM.
I WANT TO SEE THEM
ENDED IN THE STATE
SYSTEM.
YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE A
PROFIT MOTIVATION TO
FILL PRISON CELLS WITH
YOUNG AMERICANS.
SO THERE ARE SOME
POSITIVE WAYS WE CAN
WORK ON THIS, AND I
BELIEVE STRONGLY THAT
COMMON SENSE GUN
SAFETY MEASURES WOULD
ASSIST US.
RIGHT NOW, AND THIS IS
SOMETHING DONALD HAS
SUPPORTED ALONG WITH
THE GUN LOBBY, RIGHT
NOW WE'VE GOT TOO MANY
MILITARY-STYLE WEAPONS
ON THE STREETS AND A
LOT OF PLACES OUR
POLICE ARE OUT-GUNNED.
WE NEED COMPREHENSIVE
BACKGROUND CHECKS AND
WE NEED TO KEEP GUNS
OUT OF THE HANDS OF
THOSE WHO WILL DO HARM
AND WE FINALLY NEED TO
PASS A PROHIBITION ON
ANYONE WHO'S ON THE
TERRORIST WATCHLIST
FROM BEING ABLE TO BUY
A GUN IN OUR COUNTRY.
IF YOU'RE TOO
DANGEROUS TO FLY, YOU
ARE TOO DANGEROUS TO
BUY A GUN.
SO THERE ARE THINGS WE
CAN DO AND WE OUGHT TO
DO IT IN A BIPARTISAN
WAY.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON,
LAST WEEK YOU SAID
WE'VE GOT DO
EVERYTHING POSSIBLE TO
IMPROVE POLICING TO GO
RIGHT AT IMPLICIT
BIAS.
DO YOU BELIEVE THAT
POLICE ARE IMPLICITLY
BIASED AGAINST BLACK
PEOPLE?
>> LESTER, I THINK
IMPLICIT BIAS IS A
PROBLEM FOR EVERYONE,
NOT JUST POLICE.
I THINK,
UNFORTUNATELY, TOO
MANY OF US IN OUR
GREAT COUNTRY JUMP TO
CONCLUSIONS ABOUT EACH
OTHER, AND, THEREFORE,
I THINK WE NEED ALL OF
US TO BE ASKING HARD
QUESTIONS ABOUT, YOU
KNOW, WHY AM I FEELING
THIS WAY?
BUT WHEN IT COMES TO
POLICING, SINCE IT CAN
HAVE LITERALLY FATAL
CONSEQUENCES, I HAVE
SAID IN MY FIRST
BUDGET WE WOULD PUT
MONEY INTO THAT BUDGET
TO HELP US DEAL WITH
IMPLICIT BIAS BY
RETRAINING A LOT OF
OUR POLICE OFFICERS.
I'VE MET WITH A GROUP
OF VERY DISTINGUISHED,
EXPERIENCED POLICE
CHIEFS A FEW WEEKS
AGO.
THEY ADMIT IT'S AN
ISSUE.
THEY'VE GOT A LOT OF
CONCERNS.
MENTAL HEALTH IS ONE
OF THE BIGGEST
CONCERNS BECAUSE NOW
POLICE ARE HAVING TO
HANDLE A LOT OF REALLY
DIFFICULT MENTAL
HEALTH PROBLEMS ON THE
STREET.
THEY WANT SUPPORT.
THEY WANT MORE
TRAINING.
THEY WANT MORE
ASSISTANCE.
AND I THINK THE
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT
COULD BE IN A POSITION
WHERE WE WOULD OFFER
AND PROVIDE THAT.
>> I'D LIKE TO
RESPOND.
>> PLEASE.
>> FIRST OF ALL, I
AGREE AND A LOT OF
PEOPLE EVEN WITHIN MY
OWN PARTY WANT TO GIVE
CERTAIN RIGHTS TO
PEOPLE ON WATCH LISTS
AND NO-FLY LISTS.
I AGREE WITH YOU, WHEN
A PERSON IS ON A WATCH
LIST OR NO-FLY LIST,
AND I HAVE THE
ENDORSEMENT OF THE
NRA, WHICH I'M VERY
PROUD OF.
THESE ARE VERY, VERY
GOOD PEOPLE AND
THEY'RE PROTECTING THE
2nd AMENDMENT, BUT I
THINK WE HAVE TO LOOK
VERY STRONGLY AT
NO-FLY LISTS AND WATCH
LISTS AND WHEN PEOPLE
ARE ON THERE, EVEN IF
THEY SHOULDN'T BE ON
THERE, WE'LL HELP THEM
LEGALLY, WE'LL HELP
THEM GET OFF, BUT I
TEND TO AGREE WITH
THAT.
QUITE STRONGLY.
I DO WANT TO BRING UP
THE FACT THAT YOU WERE
THE ONE THAT BROUGHT
UP THE WORD,
SUPERPREDATOR, ABOUT
YOUNG BLACK YOUTH.
THAT'S A TERM THAT I
THINK WAS A -- IT'S
BEEN HORRIBLY MET AS
YOU KNOW.
I THINK YOU'VE
APOLOGIZED FOR IT.
BUT I THINK IT WAS A
TERRIBLE THING TO SAY.
AND WHEN IT COMES TO
STOP AND FRISK, YOU'RE
TALKING ABOUT TAKING
GUN AWAY.
I'M TALKING ABOUT
TAKING GUNS AWAY FROM
GANGS AND PEOPLE THAT
USE THEM AND I REALLY
DON'T THINK YOU
DISAGREE WITH ME ON
THIS, IF YOU WANT TO
KNOW THE TRUTH.
I THINK MAYBE THERE'S
A POLITICAL REASON WHY
YOU CAN'T SAY IT, BUT
I REALLY DON'T
BELIEVE -- IN NEW YORK
CITY, STOP AND FRISK,
WE HAD 2,200 MURDERS
AND STOP AND FRISK
BROUGHT IT DOWN TO 500
MURDERS.
500 MURDERS IS A LOT
OF MURDERS.
HARD TO BELIEVE.
500 IS LIKE SUPPOSED
TO BE GOOD?
BUT WE WENT FROM 2,200
TO 500 AND IT WAS
CONTINUED ON BY MAYOR
BLOOMBERG AND IT WAS
TERMINATED BY CURRENT
MAYOR.
BUT STOP AND FRISK HAD
A TREMENDOUS IMPACT ON
THE SAFETY OF NEW YORK
CITY, TREMENDOUS
BEYOND BELIEF.
SO WHEN YOU SAY IT HAS
NO IMPACT, IT REALLY
DID.
IT HAD A VERY, VERY
BIG IMPACT.
>> WELL, IT'S ALSO
FAIR TO SAY, IF WE'RE
GOING TO TALK ABOUT
MAYORS, THAT UNDER THE
CURRENT MAYOR, CRIME
HAS CONTINUED TO DROP
INCLUDING MURDERS.
SO THERE --
>> YOU'RE WRONG.
YOU'RE WRONG.
>> NO, I'M NOT.
>> MURDERS ARE UP.
ALL RIGHT.
YOU CHECK IT.
>> NEW YORK HAS --
>> YOU CHECK IT.
>> -- DONE AN
EXCELLENT JOB.
I GIVE CREDIT.
I GIVE CREDIT ACROSS
THE BOARD GOING BACK
TWO MAYORS, TWO POLICE
CHIEFS, BECAUSE IT
WORKED AND OTHER
COMMUNITIES NEED TO
COME TOGETHER TO DO
WHAT WILL WORK AS
WELL.
LOOK, ONE MURDER IS
TOO MANY, BUT IT --
>> TRUE.
>> -- IS IMPORTANT
THAT WE LEARN ABOUT
WHAT HAS BEEN
EFFECTIVE AND NOT GO
TO THINGS THAT SOUND
GOOD THAT REALLY DID
NOT HAVE THE KIND OF
IMPACT THAT WE WOULD
WANT.
WHO DISAGREES WITH
KEEPING NEIGHBORHOODS
SAFE?
BUT LET'S ALSO ADD NO
ONE SHOULD DISAGREE
ABOUT RESPECTING THE
RIGHTS OF YOUNG MEN
WHO LIVE IN THOSE
NEIGHBORHOODS.
AND SO WE NEED TO DO A
BETTER JOB OF WORKING,
AGAIN, WITH THE
COMMUNITIES, FAITH
COMMUNITIES, BUSINESS
COMMUNITIES, AS WELL
AS THE POLICE TO TRY
TO DEAL WITH THIS
PROBLEM.
>> THIS CONVERSATION
IS ABOUT RACE AND SO
MR. TRUMP, I HAVE TO
ASK YOU --
>> I'D LIKE TO JUST
RESPOND IF I MIGHT.
>> PLEASE, 20 SECONDS.
>> I'D LIKE TO
RESPOND.
>> PLEASE RESPOND THEN
I HAVE A FOLLOW-UP
QUESTION.
>> LOOK, THE
AFRICAN-AMERICAN
COMMUNITY HAS BEEN LET
DOWN BY OUR
POLITICIANS.
THEY TALK GOOD AROUND
ELECTION TIME LIKE
RIGHT NOW, AND AFTER
THE ELECTION, THEY
SAY, SEE YOU LATER,
I'LL SEE YOU IN FOUR
YEARS.
THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN
COMMUNITY -- LOOK, THE
COMMUNITY WITHIN THE
INNER CITIES HAS BEEN
SO BADLY TREATED.
THEY'VE BEEN ABUSED
AND USED IN ORDER TO
GET VOTES BY DEMOCRAT
POLITICIANS BECAUSE
THAT'S WHAT IT IS.
THEY CONTROL THESE
COMMUNITIES FOR UP TO
100 YEARS.
>> MR. TRUMP --
>> UNBROKEN.
AND I WILL TELL YOU,
YOU LOOK AT THE INNER
CITIES AND I JUST LEFT
DETROIT AND I JUST
LEFT PHILADELPHIA AND
I JUST -- YOU KNOW,
YOU'VE SEEN ME.
I'VE BEEN ALL OVER THE
PLACE.
YOU DECIDED TO STAY
HOME AND THAT'S OKAY.
BUT I WILL TELL YOU,
I'VE BEEN ALL OVER AND
I'VE MET SOME OF THE
GREATEST PEOPLE I'LL
EVER MEET WITHIN THESE
COMMUNITIES.
AND THEY ARE VERY,
VERY UPSET WITH WHAT
THEIR POLITICIANS HAVE
TOLD THEM AND WHAT
THEIR POLITICIANS HAVE
DONE.
>> MR. TRUMP --
>> I THINK DONALD JUST
CRITICIZED ME FOR
PREPARING FOR THIS
DEBATE.
AND YES, I DID.
AND YOU KNOW WHAT ELSE
I PREPARED FOR?
I PREPARED TO BE
PRESIDENT AND I THINK
THAT'S A GOOD THING.
>> MR. TRUMP, FOR FIVE
YEARS, YOU PERPETUATED
A FALSE CLAIM OF THE
NATION'S FIRST BLACK
PRESIDENT WAS NOT A
NATURAL BORN CITIZEN.
YOU QUESTIONED HIS
LEGITIMACY.
THE LAST COUPLE OF
WEEKS YOU ACKNOWLEDGE
WHAT MOST AMERICANS
HAVE ACCEPTED FOR
YEARS, THE PRESIDENT
WAS BORN IN THE UNITED
STATES.
CAN YOU TELL US WHAT
TOOK YOU SO LONG?
>> I'LL TELL YOU --
WELL, JUST VERY SIMPLE
TO SAY.
SYDNEY BLUMENTHAL
WORKS FOR THE CAMPAIGN
AND VERY CLOSE FRIEND
OF SECRETARY CLINTON.
AND HER CAMPAIGN
MANAGER, PATTI DOYLE,
WENT TO -- DURING THE
CAMPAIGN, HER CAMPAIGN
AGAINST PRESIDENT
OBAMA, FOUGHT VERY
HARD, AND YOU CAN GO
LOOK IT UP AND YOU CAN
CHECK IT OUT AND IF
YOU LOOK AT CNN THIS
PAST WEEK, PATTI DOYLE
WAS ON \"WOLF BLITZER\"
SAYING THAT THIS
HAPPENED.
BLUMENTHAL SENT
McCLATCHY, HIGHLY
RESPECTED REPORTER, TO
KENYA TO FIND OUT
ABOUT IT.
THEY WERE PRESSING IT
VERY HARD.
SHE FAILED TO GET THE
BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
WHEN I GOT INVOLVED, I
DIDN'T FAIL.
I GOT HIM TO GIVE THE
BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
SO I'M SATISFIED WITH
IT.
I'LL TELL YOU WHY I'M
SATISFIED WITH IT
BECAUSE I WANT TO GET
ON TO DEFEATING ISIS.
I WANT TO GET ON TO
CREATING JOBS.
I WANT TO GET ON TO
HAVING A STRONG
BORDER.
BECAUSE I WANT TO GET
ON TO THINGS THAT ARE
VERY IMPORTANT TO ME
AND THAT ARE VERY
IMPORTANT TO THE
COUNTRY.
>> I'LL LET YOU
RESPOND.
THAT'S THE POINT.
I WANT TO GET THE
ANSWER HERE.
THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE
WAS PRODUCED IN 2011.
YOU CONTINUED TO TELL
THE STORY AND QUESTION
THE PRESIDENT'S
LEGITIMACY IN 2012,
2013, 2014, 2015, AS
RECENTLY AS JANUARY.
THE QUESTION IS WHAT
CHANGED YOUR MIND?
>> WELL, NOBODY WAS
PRESSING IT.
NOBODY WAS CARING MUCH
ABOUT IT.
I FIGURED YOU'D ASK
THE QUESTION TONIGHT,
OF COURSE.
BUT NOBODY WAS CARING
MUCH ABOUT IT.
BUT I WAS THE ONE THAT
GOT HIM TO PRODUCE THE
BIRTH CERTIFICATE AND
I THINK I DID A GOOD
JOB.
SECRETARY CLINTON ALSO
FOUGHT IT, YOU KNOW,
EVERYBODY IN THE
MAINSTREAM IS GOING TO
SAY THAT'S NOT TRUE.
SYDNEY BLUMENTHAL SENT
THE REPORTER -- TAKE A
LOOK AT CNN LAST WEEK,
THE INTERVIEW WITH
YOUR FORMER CAMPAIGN
MANAGER AND SHE WAS
INVOLVED.
BUT JUST LIKE SHE
CAN'T BRING BACK JOBS,
SHE CAN'T PRODUCE.
>> I'M SORRY, I'M
GOING TO -- I WILL LET
YOU RESPOND TO THAT.
THERE'S A LOT THERE.
WE'RE TALKING ABOUT
RACIAL HEALING IN THIS
SEGMENT.
WHAT DO YOU SAY TO
AMERICANS --
>> WELL, I WAS VERY --
I SAY NOTHING.
I SAY NOTHING BECAUSE
I WAS ABLE TO GET HIM
TO PRODUCE IT.
HE SHOULD HAVE
PRODUCED IT A LONG
TIME BEFORE.
I SAY NOTHING.
BUT LET ME JUST TELL
YOU, WHEN YOU TALK
ABOUT HEALING, I THINK
THAT I DEVELOPED VERY,
VERY GOOD
RELATIONSHIPS OVER THE
LAST LITTLE WHILE WITH
THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN
COMMUNITY.
I THINK YOU CAN SEE
THAT.
AND I FEEL THAT THEY
REALLY WANTED ME TO
COME TO THAT
CONCLUSION AND I THINK
I DID A GREAT JOB AND
A GREAT SERVICE NOT
ONLY FOR THE COUNTRY,
BUT EVEN FOR THE
PRESIDENT IN GETTING
HIM TO PRODUCE HIS
BIRTH CERTIFICATE.
>> SECRETARY CLINTON.
>> WELL, JUST LISTEN
TO WHAT YOU HEARD.
AND CLEARLY AS DONALD
JUST ADMITTED, HE KNEW
HE WAS GOING TO STAND
ON THIS DEBATE STAGE
AND LESTER HOLT WAS
GOING TO BE ASKING US
QUESTIONS, SO HE TRIED
TO PUT THE WHOLE
RACIST BIRTHER LIE TO
BED.
IT CAN'T BE DISMISSED
THAT EASILY.
HE HAS REALLY STARTED
HIS POLITICAL ACTIVITY
BASED ON THIS RACIST
LIE THAT OUR FIRST
BLACK PRESIDENT WAS
NOT AN AMERICAN
CITIZEN.
THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY
NO EVIDENCE FOR IT,
BUT HE PERSISTED.
HE PERSISTED YEAR
AFTER YEAR BECAUSE
SOME OF HIS
SUPPORTERS, PEOPLE
THAT HE WAS TRYING TO
BRING INTO HIS FOLD,
APPARENTLY BELIEVED IT
OR WANTED TO BELIEVE
IT.
BUT REMEMBER, DONALD
STARTED HIS CAREER
BACK IN 1973 BEING
SUED BY THE JUSTICE
DEPARTMENT FOR RACIAL
DISCRIMINATION BECAUSE
HE WOULD NOT RENT
APARTMENTS IN ONE OF
HIS DEVELOPMENTS TO
AFRICAN-AMERICANS AND
HE MADE SURE THAT THE
PEOPLE WHO WORKED FOR
HIM UNDERSTOOD THAT
WAS THE POLICY.
HE ACTUALLY WAS SUED
TWICE BY THE JUSTICE
DEPARTMENT.
SO HE HAS A LONG
RECORD OF ENGAGING IN
RACIST BEHAVIOR.
AND THE BIRTHER LIE
WAS A VERY HURTFUL
ONE.
YOU KNOW, BARACK OBAMA
IS A MAN OF GREAT
DIGNITY AND I COULD
TELL HOW MUCH IT
BOTHERED HIM AND
ANNOYED HIM THAT THIS
WAS BEING TOUTED AND
USED AGAINST HIM, BUT
I LIKE TO REMEMBER
WHAT MICHELLE OBAMA
SAID IN HER AMAZING
SPEECH AT OUR
DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL
CONVENTION.
\"WHEN THEY GO LOW, WE
GO HIGH.\"
AND BARACK OBAMA WENT
HIGH DESPITE DONALD
TRUMP'S BEST EFFORTS
TO BRING HIM DOWN.
>> MR. TRUMP, YOU CAN
RESPOND THEN WE'RE
GOING TO MOVE TO THE
NEXT SEGMENT.
>> I WOULD LOVE TO
RESPOND.
FIRST OF ALL I GOT TO
WATCH IN PREPARING FOR
THIS SOME OF YOUR
DEBATE AGAINST BARACK
OBAMA.
YOU TREATED HIM WITH
TERRIBLE DISRESPECT
AND I WATCHED THE WAY
YOU TALK NOW ABOUT HOW
LOVELY EVERYTHING IS
AND HOW WONDERFUL YOU
ARE.
DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.
YOU WERE AFTER HIM.
YOU WERE TRYING TO --
YOU EVEN SENT OUT,
YOUR CAMPAIGN SENT OUT
PICTURES OF HIM IN A
CERTAIN GARB.
VERY FAMOUS PICTURES.
I DON'T THINK YOU CAN
DENY THAT.
BUT JUST LAST WEEK
YOUR CAMPAIGN MANAGER
SAID IT WAS TRUE.
SO WHEN YOU TRY TO ACT
HOLIER THAN THOU, IT
REALLY DOESN'T WORK.
IT REALLY DOESN'T.
NOW, AS FAR AS THE
LAWSUIT, YES, WHEN I
WAS VERY YOUNG, I WENT
INTO MY FATHER'S
COMPANY, REAL ESTATE
COMPANY IN BROOKLYN
AND QUEENS AND WE
ALONG WITH MANY, MANY
OTHER COMPANIES
THROUGHOUT THE
COUNTRY, A FEDERAL
LAWSUIT, WERE SUED.
WE SETTLED THE SUIT
WITH ZERO, WITH NO
ADMISSION OF GUILT.
IT WAS VERY EASY TO
DO, BUT THEY SUED MANY
PEOPLE.
I NOTICE YOU BRING
THAT UP A LOT, AND,
YOU KNOW, I ALSO
NOTICE THE VERY NASTY
COMMERCIALS THAT YOU
DO ON ME AND SO MANY
DIFFERENT WAYS WHICH I
DON'T DO ON YOU.
MAYBE I'M TRYING TO
SAVE THE MONEY.
BUT FRANKLY, I LOOK --
I LOOK AT THAT AND I
SAY, ISN'T THAT
AMAZING, BECAUSE I
SETTLED THAT LAWSUIT
WITH NO ADMISSION OF
GUILT.
BUT THAT WAS A LAWSUIT
BROUGHT AGAINST MANY
REAL ESTATE FIRMS AND
IT'S JUST ONE OF THOSE
THINGS.
I'LL GO ONE STEP
FURTHER.
IN PALM BEACH,
FLORIDA, TOUGH
COMMUNITY, A BRILLIANT
COMMUNITY, A WEALTHY
COMMUNITY, PROBABLY
THE WEALTHIEST
COMMUNITY THERE IS IN
THE WORLD, I OPENED A
CLUB AND REALLY GOT
GREAT CREDIT FOR IT.
NO DISCRIMINATION
AGAINST
AFRICAN-AMERICANS,
AGAINST MUSLIMS,
AGAINST ANYBODY.
AND IT'S A
TREMENDOUSLY
SUCCESSFUL CLUB AND
I'M SO GLAD I DID IT
AND I HAVE BEEN GIVEN
GREAT CREDIT FOR WHAT
I DID AND I'M VERY,
VERY PROUD OF IT.
AND THAT'S THE WAY I
FEEL.
THAT IS THE TRUE WAY I
FEEL.
>> OUR NEXT SEGMENT IS
CALLED SECURING
AMERICA.
WE WANT TO START WITH
A 21st CENTURY WAR
HAPPENING EVERY DAY IN
THIS COUNTRY.
OUR INSTITUTIONS ARE
UNDER CYBER ATTACK.
AND OUR SECRETS ARE
BEING STOLEN.
SO MY QUESTION IS,
WHO'S BEHIND IT AND
HOW DO WE FIGHT IT?
SECRETARY CLINTON,
THIS ANSWER GOES TO
YOU.
>> WELL, I THINK CYBER
SECURITY, CYBER
WARFARE, WILL BE ONE
OF THE BIGGEST
CHALLENGES FACING THE
NEXT PRESIDENT BECAUSE
CLEARLY WE'RE FACING
AT THIS POINT TWO
DIFFERENT KINDS OF
ADVERSARIES.
THERE ARE THE
INDEPENDENT HACKING
GROUPS THAT DO IT
MOSTLY FOR COMMERCIAL
REASONS TO TRY TO
STEAL INFORMATION THAT
THEY THEN CAN USE TO
MAKE MONEY.
BUT INCREASINGLY, WE
ARE SEEING CYBER
ATTACKS COMING FROM
STATES.
ORGANS OF STATES.
THE MOST RECENT AND
TROUBLING OF THESE HAS
BEEN RUSSIA.
THERE'S NO DOUBT NOW
THAT RUSSIA HAS USED
CYBER ATTACKS AGAINST
ALL KINDS OF
ORGANIZATIONS IN OUR
COUNTRY AND I AM
DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT
THIS.
I KNOW DONALD'S VERY
PRAISE WORTHY OF
VLADIMIR PUTIN, BUT
PUTIN IS PLAYING --
>> WONG.
>>
PLAYING A REALLY TOUGH
LONG GAME HERE.
ONE OF THE THINGS HE'S
DONE IS TO LET LOOSE
CYBER ATTACKERS TO
HACK IN TO GOVERNMENT
FILES, TO HACK INTO
PERSONAL FILES.
HACK INTO THE
DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL
COMMITTEE.
AND WE'VE RECENTLY
HAVE LEARNED THAT THIS
IS ONE OF THEIR
PREFERRED METHODS OF
TRYING TO WREAK HAVOC
AND COLLECT