B1 Intermediate US 18 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
>> THANK YOU ALL FOR JOINING US
THIS AFTERNOON FOR "NOW THIS" IN
A CONVERSATION WITH PRESIDENTIAL
CANDIDATE ANDREW YANG FRESH OFF
THE POLK COUNTY STEAK FRY STAGE,
I AM SUE DINSDALE THE EXECUTIVE
DIRECTOR OF IOWA CITIZEN ACTION
NETWORK AND WE HAVE BEEN WORKING
WITH THE MAIN STREET ALLIANCE
FOR ABOUT THE LAST 11 YEARS.
AND IT'S SO PERFECT THAT WE ARE
HAVING IT HERE IN THIS SPOT.
BECAUSE ONE DAY WHEN I WAS
STARTING TO ORGANIZE AND FIND
SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS AND WE
WERE ORGANIZING AROUND
HEALTHCARE, I WALKED BY A LITTLE
SHOP ABOUT A BLOCK AWAY AND
THERE WAS A T-SHIRT IN THE
WINDOW THAT SAID AMERICA.
ONLY THE INSURED SURVIVE.
SO I WENT IN AND VISITED WITH
THE OWNER, MIKE DRAPER.
AND ENDED UP FACILITATING A TRIP
FOR HIM TO D.C. TO TESTIFY
BEFORE CONGRESS.
>> GOOD FOR YOU.
>> ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF
HEALTHCARE FOR SMALL BUSINESS
OWNERS.
SO THAT IS THE FOCUS OF OUR
CONVERSATION TODAY.
WE MIT HIT ON A FEW OTHER TOPICS
TOOK BUT WE'LL START WITH SOME
HEALTHCARE QUESTIONS.
>> THAT'S AN EXPERIENCE I CAN
RELATE TO VERY DIRECTLY.
I RAN A SMALL BUSINESS AND
HEALTHCARE WAS ONE OUR BIGGEST
EXPENSES.
THE WORST PART ABOUT IF IS ALL
OF THE INCENTIVES ATTACHED TO IT
WERE VERY MUCH THE OPPOSITE WHAT
WHAT YOU WOULD WANTS.
WHERE IF YOU TIRED SOMEONE YOU
HAD TO FACTOR IN HEALTHCARE
EXPENSES.
IF YOU HAD TO CONSIDER WHETHER
SOMEONE WAS A FULL-TIME EMPLOYEE
OR A CONTRACTOR, ALL OF A SUDDEN
WHEN THEY TURNED TO FULL-TIME
EMPLOYEE THEIR HEALTHCARE
EXPENSES WOULD BE MUCH, MUCH
HIGHER.
WHICH IS THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT
YOU WANT YOU WOULD LIKE TO
ENCOURAGE A BUSINESSLIKE MINE TO
HIGHER PEOPLE.
AND THE PRICES ONLY WENT IN ONE
DIRECTION, EVER.
YOU NEVER GET GOOD NEWS.
GOOD NEWS YOUR HEALTH INSURANCE
IS CHEAPER.
WHY HAVE WE NEVER ACTUALLY HEARD
THAT?
AND PERHAPS THE WORST PART, WAS
THAT YOU HAD TO HAVE PERIODIC
REALLY DIFFICULT CONVERSATIONS
WITH YOUR STAFF.
>> RIGHT.
>> BECAUSE YOU ARE LIKE, HEY,
GUYS, INSURANCE COSTS WENT UP
AGAIN, SO WE ARE GOING TO COVER
THIS, BUT WE WANT LIKE YOU TO
COVER THIS.
AND LIKE, YOU KNOW, SO THAT
STINKS.
AND THEN WHEN WE HAD TO ACTUALLY
CHANGE COVERAGE, THEN IT BECAME
THIS MASSIVE PROCESS BECAUSE
PEOPLE OBVIOUSLY HAVE VERY
STRONG FEELINGS ABOUT THEIR
HEALTHCARE COVERAGE.
AND THERE WAS A BIG PART OF ME
THAT JUST THOUGHT HOW RIDICULOUS
IS THIS?
LIKE I AM RUNNING A BUSINESS, IN
MY CASE IT WAS AN EDUCATION
BUSINESS, I SHOULD NOT BE LIKE
GIVING MYSELF BRAIN DAMAGE
TRYING TO FIGURE OUT ALL THESE
INSURANCE PLANS.
AND I SHOULD NOT BE HAVING THESE
CONVERSATIONS WITH MY WORKERS
THAT END UP BEING VERY PERSONAL.
SOME OF THEM HAVE HEALTH
SITUATIONS SOME HAVE FAMILY
MEMBERS, SOME ARE FAMILY
PLANNING MODE, ET CETERA, ET
CETERA.
AND I THOUGHT TO MYSELF, THIS
ENTIRE SET OF OBLIGATIONS
FALLING ON EMPLOYER THIS IS WAY
IS NOT WHAT WE SHOULD WANT AS A
COUNTRY.
BECAUSE WE SHOULD BE ENCOURAGING
BUSINESSES TO HIRE PEOPLE RIGHT
AND LEFT.
>> EXACT.
>> I TO TREAT THEM WELL, TO GIVE
THEM BENEFITS, WE SHOULD BE
ENCOURAGING PEOPLE TO CHANGE
JOBS AND START NEW BUSINESS FIST
THAT'S WHAT THEY WANT.
RIGHT NOW OUR HEALTH INSURANCE
SYSTEM KEEPS PEOPLE LOCKED IN
PLACE THERE IS A TECHNICAL
ECONOMIC TOMORROW FOR IT.
IT'S CALLED JOB LOCK.
THERE ARE MILLIONS OF AMERICANS
IN JOB LOCK RIGHT NOW.
WHERE THEY ARE ON THE FENCE TOO
FAST WHETHER THIS IS WHAT THEY
SHOULD BE DOING, BUT THEN THEY
THINK, WELL, I CAN'T LEAVE
BECAUSE OF MY HEALTHCARE.
HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW SOMEONE IN
THAT SITUATION OR YOURSELF?
WE ALL DO.
I AM ALL FOR PEOPLE STAYING PUT
IN THAT'S WHERE THEY BELONG.
BUT I'M NOT FOR PEOPLE STAYING
PUT BECAUSE STILL LIKE THEY WERE
NO CHOICE.
ECONOMY WIDE AND SOCIETY AT THIS
WIDE DYNAMISM IS A POSITIVE
THING.
PEOPLE STARTING NEW BUSINESS IS
HIS INCREDIBLY POSITIVE THING
AND I AM 100 PERCENT SURE THAT
OUR HEALTHCARE COSTS RIGHT NOW
ARE STIFLING PEOPLE FROM
STARTING BUSINESSES IN MANY
CONTEXT HERE AND IOWA.
>> AND WE DO FIND THAT WHEN WE
TALK TO SMALL BUSINESS OWNERS
AROUND THE STATE, IT'S A BIG
ISSUE.
IT'S THE BIGGEST ISSUE FOR THEM.
>> IT'S ONE OF THE THINGS THAT
KEEPS PEOPLE FROM TAKING A RISK
AND STARTING IS A BUSINESS.
AN SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE THAT
IT'S REALLY DIFFICULT.
THE LAST THING YOU WANT TO DO IS
ADD IN ANOTHER FACTOR OF
DIFFICULTY AND COST AND ANXIETY
AND I FRANKLY EVERYBODY
RELATIONSHIP STRESS.
WHERE IF YOU ARE A PERSON WHO --
LIKE I AM MARRIED AND HAVE TWO
KIDS, IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE THAT
CHANGE, THAT'S NOT JUST YOU YOU
HAVE TO TURN TO YOUR FAMILY AND
PARTNER, SAYING HEY, I WANT TO
START THIS BUSINESS BUT WE RELY
UPON MY JOB FOR HEALTHCARE
COVERAGE, SO HOW ABOUT WE CUT
BACK ON THAT.
OR HOW ABOUT WE FIND SOME OTHER
WAY.
THESE CONVERSATIONS HAPPEN EVERY
DAY.
IMAGINE IF IT WAS A DIFFERENT
CONVERSATION HEY, I WANT TO
START THIS BUSINESS AND
HEALTHCARE WAS PROVIDED BY OUR
GOVERNMENT.
IN THE PUBLIC SECTOR AND YOU
WOULD GET RID OF THIS GIANT
OBSTACLE.
RIGHT NOW, ONE OF THE -- THERE
ARE SO MANY STATISTICS IN
AMERICA THAT ARE TO ME VERY,
VERY DISCOURAGING.
BUT ONE OF THEM IS THAT THE
RATES OF BUSINESS FORMATION AND
ENTREPRENEURSHIP ARE AT
MULTI-DECK EIGHT LOWS IN THE
COUNTRY.
SO WE TALK ABOUT AMERICA AS A
HOME OF ENTREPRENEURSHIP, BUT WE
ARE MAKING IT MUCH, MUCH HARDER
FOR PEOPLE TO ACTUALLY START
BUSINESSES AND THIS IS DOUBLY
TRUE FOR YOUNG PEOPLE.
IF YOU LOOK AT BUSINESS
FORMATION RATES FOR YOUNGER
AMERICANS, THEY ARE ALSO AT ALL
TIME OR HISTORIC LOWS AND
SOMETHING THAT WE HAVE TO TURN
AROUND.
>> VERY GOOD.
WELL, WE HAVE A GREAT GROUP OF
PEOPLE HERE AND I KNOW THEY HAVE
LOTS OF QUESTIONS FOR YOU.
SO WOULD YOU LIKE TO START.
>> YEAH.
I AM KYLIE ROSE A STUDENT AT
DRAKE UNIVERSITY.
AND IT'S MY SENIOR YEAR, AND
SOMETHING THAT I JUST NOTICED AS
A YOUNG WOMAN IS THAT THERE IS
NOT A LOT OF ACCESS TO BASIC
CONTRACEPTIVE CARE, ESPECIALLY
IN LOW-INCOME COMMUNITIES.
MY QUESTION FOR YOU IS HOW AS
PRESIDENT WOULD YOU MAKE BASIC
CONTRACEPTION MORE AVAILABLE?
>> I AM IN MEDICARE FOR ALL CAMP
THAT WE NEED A QUALITY PUBLIC
OPTION.
AND IF YOU HAD A PUBLIC OPTION,
I AM NOT IN THE CAMP THAT YOU
SHOULD GET RID OF ALL PRIVATE
INSURERS IMMEDIATELY.
THE GOAL OF THE PUBLIC OPTION
SHOULD BE TO DEMONSTRATE IT'S A
SUPERIOR OPTION TO WHAT ELSE IS
OUT THERE BASED ON COST AND
COVERAGE AND EFFICACY.
BUT IF YOU HAD A PUBLIC OPTION,
ONE OF THE FIRST THINGS THAT YOU
WOULD BE DOING IS MAKING BASIC
CON EXTRA ACCEPT TIFF CARE
AVAILABLE TO ANYONE WHO WANTS
IT.
AND I SAY THIS WITH 100 PERCENT
QUALITY CONTRA SEVEN TIFF CONTRA
YOU ARE HELPING WOMEN MAKE PLANS
ABOUT THEIR PROFESSIONAL LIVES
AND CAREERS AND THAT ACTUALLY
ADDS A LOT TO YOUR ECONOMIC
PRODUCTIVITY.
WOMEN ARE IN MY MIND THE
GREATEST UNDER APPRECIATED AND
UNTAPPED RESOURCE HERE IN THIS
COUNTRY.
AND YOU THINK IT'S LIKE, WHAT DO
YOU MEAN?
WOMEN ARE ALREADY -- NO, THEY
ARE NOT.
I AM TOTALLY SURE OF THIS
BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN THE
OBSTACLES PRESENTS TO WOMEN
TRYING TO START BUSINESSES BUSID
HAVING QUALITY CONTRACEPTIVE
CARE SHOULD NOT BE AN OBSTACLE
AT ALL.
IT WOULD PAY FOR ITSELF MANY,
MANY TIMES OVER.
>> KIND OF FOLLOWING ALONG OWE
THAT LINE.
A WOMAN'S RIGHT TO CHOICE WHAT
HAPPENED WITH HER BODY, ARE
YOU --
>> I AM FOR WOMEN'S REPRODUCTIVE
RIGHTS AS FUNDAMENTAL HUMAN
RIGHTS.
I THINK IT'S EMBARRASSING THAT
MALE LEGISLATORS HAVE AN OPINION
ON THIS.
WE SHOULD JUST LEAVE THE ROOM
AND LET WOMEN FIGURE IT OUT.
COME BACK AND THE WOMEN TELL US
WHAT THEY WANT TO DO.
I HAVE A FEELING I KNOW WHICH
WAY THEY WOULD DECIDE.
BUT FOR -- NOW, IN THE ABSENCE
OF THAT SITUATION.
THEN I WOULD CHAMPION WOMEN'S
REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS THAT HIGH
LEFT LEVELS, INCLUDING ADDING
SUPREME YOUR JUSTICES.
THERE IS NOTHING SAYING THAT WE
NEED NINE SUPREME COURT JUSTICE
WE JUST REMEMBER THAT BUT IN OUR
HISTORY THERE HAVE BEEN FIVE,
11, 12.
SO I AM ALL FOR PROTECTING
WOMEN'S REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS IN
THE MOST FUNDAMENTAL WAYS.
>> THANK YOU.
>> I AM KEVIN PETERSON I LIVE IN
WEST DES MOINES I HAVE A
LIFESTYLE WELLNESS COMPANY.
CALLED PETERSON HOLISTIC
SERVICES IN URBAN DALE AND I
HAVE BEEN A HEALTH AND WELLNESS
PROVIDER FOR OVER 10 YEARS.
I HAVE GONE FLEW HEALTH CONS
FORMS ACTION MYSELF I LOST
150 POUNDS OVER THE YEARS.
I KNOW ABOUT HEALTH
TRANSFORMATION IT'S SOMETHING
THIS COUNTRY REALLY NEEDS.
AND AS A PROVIDER, I REALLY
BELIEVE THAT THE HEART AND SOUL
OF THAT TRANSFORMATION IS CLEAN
NUTRITION AND NUTRITION
EDUCATION, FUNCTIONAL FITNESS
TRAINING AND THINGS LIKE THAT.
WHAT I WANT TO KNOW FOR YOU IS
WHERE IN YOUR PLATFORM, WHERE IN
YOUR MANAGING OF THIS HEALTHCARE
SYSTEM.
ARE THOSE TRULY PREVENTIVE
MEASURES OF NUTRITION AND
FUNCTION THE MOVEMENT THAT ARE
REALLY ARE THAT HEART AND SOUL
OF HEALTH -- CARRYING ON HEALTH
AND PREVENTING DISEASE?
>> I LOVE THIS QUESTION SO MUCH.
I WANT TO SHAKE YOUR HAND.
[ LAUGHTER ]
>> I HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD IN
SO MANY WAYS.
AND I WAS TALKING TO MARK CUBAN,
DO YOU KNOW WHO HE IS?
>> YEAH.
>> MARK CUBAN SAID TO ME THAT
ONE OF THE BIG PROBLEMS IN
HEALTHCARE, IS FOOD AND
NUTRITION.
AND THAT IF YOU HAD BUILDING UP
ALL OF THIS HEALTH DEBT, IF YOU
WILL, BY EATING CRAP AND THE
REST OF IT, IT ENDS UP COST OUR
SOCIETY IN BOTH HUMAN AND
ECONOMIC WAYS.
AND SO THE QUESTION IS HOW DO
YOU GO EARLIER IN THE FOOD CHAIN
AND MAKE IT SO THAT PEOPLE HAVE
BETTER NUTRITION AND EDUCATION
ABOUT NUTRITION, BETTER ACCESS
TO DECENT HEALTHY FOOD INSTEAD
OF THE CRAP ON THE CORNER.
AND THE CRAP COT CORNER WE ALL
KNOW IS MUCH, MUCH CHEAPER SO IF
YOU ARE IN ANY ECONOMIC PROBLEMS
THE EASY THING DO IS IT'S
FREAKING DOLLAR MENU TIME.
>> I AM STAGGERED AT HOW MUCH
FAST FOOD YOU CAN BUY FOR A VERY
LOW AMOUNT OF MONEY.
THE DOLLAR MENU BLOWS MY MIND.
I DON'T EN INDULGE IN THE DOLLAR
MENU IF AT ALL.
ANYWAY, I DIGRESS, THERE ARE
VERY IMPORTANT THINGS THAT WE
CAN DO TO HELP MOVE SOCIETY IN
THE DIRECTION YOU ARE
DESCRIBING.
NUMBER ONE, IS AS YOU ALL KNOW,
MY FLAGSHIP PROPOSAL IS TO PUT A
THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH IN TO
PEOPLE'S HANDS IF THEY HAD THAT
ECONOMIC BOOT OFF THEIR THROATS,
THEN THEY COULD MAKE A CHOICE TO
PURSUE EATING MORE FRESH FOOD,
FRUIT AND VEGETABLE, LESS FAST
FOOD.
AND THEN SOME OF THOSE RETAILERS
AND PROVIDERS WOULD ACTUALLY GO
TO THE NEIGHBORHOODS.
BECAUSE WE KNOW RIGHT NOW IF YOU
ARE AT WHOLE FOODS YOU ARE NOT
GOING ANYWHERE NEAR, YOU KNOW,
LIKE SOME POOR NEIGHBORHOOD.
THEY CAN'T AFFORD MY STUFF.
IF MORE PEOPLE CAN AFFORD YOUR
STUFF, THEN MAYBE YOU DO END UP
TRYING TO GET THERE.
SO THAT'S BIG MOVE NUMBER ONE.
BIG MOVE NUMBER TWO.
IS THAT RIGHT NOW, WE HAVE BOTH
AN ECONOMY MEASURED AROUND
PRODUCTIVE AND A HEALTHCARE
SYSTEM DESIGNED AROUND COST AND
REVENUE.
BOTH OF THESE THINGS OF LEADING
US IN THE WRONG DIRECTION, GD
IT.
P IS AT RECORD HIGHS BUT OUR
LIFE EXPECTANCY DID IS GOING
DOWN, WHAT DO YOU LISTEN TO?
LIFE EXPECTANCY WHAT GOOD IS
PRODUCTIVE IF YOU ARE TYING.
I I WOULD TAKE GDP AND A PLAINLY
THIS MEASUREMENT IS 100 YEAR OLD
OLD AND OUT OF DATE,
INCREASINGLY USELESS AND LOW
RELATIONSHIPS TO ACTUALLY HOW WE
ARE DOING WHICH IS OUR HEALTH
AND LIFE EXPECTANCY, WELLNESS.
OUT MENTAL HEALTH, FREEDOM FROM
SUBSTANCE ABUSE, CHILD SUCCESS
RACE, CLEAN AIR AND WATER I
WOULD MAKE THOSE THE
MEASUREMENTS OF THE NEW ECONOMY.
ALL THE ENERGIES GOING TOWARDS
TRYING TO INCREASE YOUR GDP
WOULD BE GOING TOWARDS TRYING TO
INCREASE OUR WELL BEING AND LOOK
AROUND THE COMMUNITIES AND SAY A
LOT OF PEOPLE ARE EATING VERY
POORLY, A LOT OF PEOPLE COULD BE
MADE MUCH, MUCH HEALTHIER AND
THE GREAT THING IS THAT IT WOULD
SAVE US A TON OF MONEY, IF YOU
HAVE PEOPLE WHO ARE DEVELOPING
DIABETES DISCUSS SHOWING UP FOR
TREATMENTS AT EARLIER AGES
THAT'S INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE AND
WE BEAR THAT COST NOT JUST IN
THE TREATMENT.
BUT ALSO BECAUSE THOSE PEOPLE
BECOME LESS PRODUCTIVE, THEY
BECOME SICKER EARLIER AND HAVE
PROBLEMS, SO THERE WAS ONE STUDY
THAT SHOWED IF YOU WERE TO
ALLEVIATE POVERTY, YOU WOULD
INCREASE GDP BY $700 BILLION
JUST ON THE BASES OF BET
EVERYONE INDICATION AND HEALTH
OUTCOMES, YOU HAVE PEOPLE
HEALTHIER LONGER AND THEY WOULD
GET MORE STUFF DONE.
THE BIG MOVE IS TO CHANGE OUR
ACTUAL MEASUREMENTS TO
CORRESPOND WITH THE WORK THAT
YOU ARE DOING.
CAN YOU IMAGINE DES MOINES
GETTING LIKE A HEALTH AND
WELLNESS SCORE THE SAME WAY AS
GETTING SPORTS SCORES, ON THE
NEWS, EVERY QUARTER IT WOULD BE
LIKE, HEY, HOUR WE DOING THIS
QUARTER IT WOULD BE LIKE THIS.
AND THEN, YOU KNOW, I HAVE A
FEELING WE COULD GROW YOUR
BUSINESS A GREAT DEAL.
BECAUSE OF THE PEOPLE THAT WOULD
NEED OR SHOULD BE USING YOUR
BUSINESS, WHAT PERCENTAGE
ACTUALLY PURSUE THIS REGIMENT
THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT?
PROBABLY TWO, THREE, FOUR, 5%.
IT'S LIKE VERY, VERY LOW.
>> I THINK A LOT OF THE BARRIER
IS REALLY IN RIGHT NOW THE
INSURANCE COVERAGE.
YOU KNOW, I THINK PEOPLE ARE
WANTING
WANTING AND CRAVE THIS
INFORMATION AND GUIDANCE.
I THINK THE YOUNGER AGAIN RAISE
WOULD BENEFIT FROM THIS
CONVERSATION THEY QUAIL HEAR
ABOUT THE VALUE OF NUTRITION AND
CLEAN EATING.
BUT IT IS THE FOLKS IN THEIR MID
30s IN TO THERAPISTs THAT
HAVE GONE THROUGH THIS BOOM OF
NEVERRED FOODS AND THEY HAVE TO
GO THROUGH A PROCESS TO GET
THEMSELVES OUT OF IT.
>> SOUNDS BEING LIKE YOU WENT
THROUGH THAT PERSONALLY?
>> I AB ABSOLUTELY WENT THROUGH
THAT PERSONALLY AND I WORK TO
TAKE THINGS THROUGH THAT
PROCESS.
>> GOOD FOR YOU YOU ARE SUCH A
ROLE MODEL.
>> THANK YOU.
>> THE THIRD WAITS IS WE MAKE IT
SO YOUR WORK IS MAINSTREAM AND
YOU GO IN TO THE GUT OF THE
HEALTHCARE SYSTEM.
WHY ARE WE SPENDING OUR GDP ON
HEALTHCARE.
>> IT'S BECAUSE IT'S NOT
DESIGNED TO MAKE US HEALTHY IT'S
DESIGNED TO GENERATE REVENUE.
YOU HAVE DEVICE COMPANIES AND
DRUG COMPANIES AND HEALTH
INSURANCE COMPANY THAT SAYS ALL
HAVE RECORD-HIGH PROFIT MARGINS.
THEY ARE PROFITING OFF OF US
IT'S THIS TROUBLING WEIGHT ON
OUR ECONOMY AND SOCIETY AND YOU
HAVE TO CHANGE INCENTIVES AND I
AM INSPIRED BY THE RESULTS THAT
CLEVELAND CLINIC WHERE DOCTORS
GET PAID A FLAT SALARY AND THEY
THINK YOU NEED TO PRESCRIBE
FEWER PROCEDURES BECAUSE THEY
DON'T GET PAID BASED UPON HOW
MANY PROCEDURES THEY DO.
AND THEIR OUTCOMES ARE BETTER
THAN OTHER HOSPITALS BECAUSE WE
ARE OVER TREATING THINGS, WE
OVER TREAT BECAUSE PEOPLE DON'T
WANT TO GET SUED YOU CAN ONLY
GET SUED FOR NOT DOING THE
THING, IT'S LIKE I DECIDED YOU
DIDN'T NEED IT IF SOMETHING
HAPPENS I COULD BE SUED AND I
GUESS I WILL SAY YOU NEED IT IT.
SO YOU WIND UP BUILDING UP ALL
OF THIS COST.
IF YOU COULD CHANGE IMAGINE A
HOSPITAL'S INCENTIVE BEING TIED
TO HOW HEALTHY PEOPLE ARE
LOCALLY.
YOU KNOW WHAT THAT HOSPITAL
WOULD UP VEST IN, HIS SERVICE,
YOU KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO.
WE NEED TOMORROW INDICATE PEOPLE
ON NUTRITION, GET BETTER FOOD,
WE NEED TO TRY TO -- THE IDEAL
DESIGN OF A HOSPITAL WOULD BE A
HOSPITAL DESIGNED TO PEOPLE
PEOPLE FROM NOT SHOWING UP TO
THAT HOSPITAL.
IF NO ONE SHOWED YOU RIGHT NOW
THE HOSPITAL WOULD GO OUT OF
BUSINESSLIKE THAT MUCH BECAUSE
THE HOSPITAL NEEDS TO HAVE ANY
NEED TO DO THINGS TO GET THEM
PAID.
THESE ARE BIG CHANGES BUT MORE
FEASIBLE THAN YOU ALL THINK.
OR WATCHING THIS DO YOU THINK.
NUMBER ONE EVERYONE GETTING A
THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH IT
SOUNDS LYING A FANTASY ALL IT
TAKES IS THE MAJORITY OF
AMERICANS SAYING WE ARE GOING DO
THAT.
IT'S DONE, THEY DID IT IN ALASKA
IT'S BEEN IN EFFECT FOR 40
YEARS, YOU JUST NEED A MAJORITY
OF US AND CONGRESS SAYING WE CAN
DO IT.
AND DO IT.
DEFINITION OF GDP ALL IT TAKES
IS PRESIDENT YOUNG GOING TO THE
BUREAU ECONOMIC ANALYSIS SAYING
THE GDP IS OUT DATED AND DUMB
AND WE'LL UPDATE IT AND I'LL
PRESENT THESE NUMBERS TO YOU
THAT STAYED OF THE UNION EVERY
YEAR, NOTHING CAN PREVENT ME
FROM DOING THAT.
HERE ARE THE NUMBERS, EIGHT
AMERICANS ARE DOING OF DRUGS
EVERY HOUR THAT'S HORRIFYING,
WE'LL TRY TO GET THAT DOWN.
YOU HAVE REAL PROBLEMS AND
PRESENT THEM.
THE THIRD ONE IS THE HARDEST
GETTING THE HEALTHCARE SYSTEMS
INCENTIVES TIED TO OUR HEALTH
AND WELLNESS THAT, ONE IS NOT
EASY.
I'M HOOP I TO SAY PROMISING
EXPERIENCES ARE HAPPENING IN
THAT SPACE RIGHT FOUND AROUND
SOMETHING CALLED VALUE-BASED
MEDICINE.
IF YOU ARE PRODUCING VALUE WITH
PATIENTS HE GET COMMENTS AND
PUBLIC OPTION IS A HUGE STEP IN
THAT DIRECTION.
AS SOON AS THE GOVERNMENT
ASSUMES THE COST FOR 10s OF
MILLIONS OF AMERICANS, ALL OF A
SUDDEN THE GOVERNMENT'S
INCENTIVES ARE TO TRY TO GET YOU
HEALTHIER THAT WOULD END UP
MAINSTREAMING A LOT OF WHAT YOU
ARE DOING FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS.
>> NEXT UP.
>> HI.
MY NAME IS JESSE MAY.
AND I AM A BIRTH DUE LOS ANGELES
HERE IN DES MOINES.
>> GOOD FOR YOU, THAT'S
INCREDIBLE.
THIS MIGHT BE TOO MUCH
INFORMATION AND WE USE AID DOULA
AND AS THE HUSBAND AND FATHER I
LOVED HER.
>> THAT'S WHAT ALL THE HUSBANDS
SAY, TOO, YES, THANK YOU SO
MUCH.
>> DOULAS ARE AMAZING AND THIS
DUE HA LA IN PARTICULAR IS
AMAZING WHAT'S YOUR NAME.
>> JESSE MAY.
>> THE DO LOS ANGELES WHO LIVES
WHERE?
>> DES MOINES.
>> SO IF YOU ARE ANYWHERE NEAR
DES MOINES AND NEED A De LEEUW
BEING IT'S JESSE MAY.
>> THANK YOU.
OKAY, MY QUESTION IS DIRECTIONED
TOWARDS THIS.
OUR NATION IS STRAGGLE TO GO
KEEP MOTHERS HEALTHY, SAFE AND
ALIVE.
AND DISPROPORTIONATELY, BLACK
MOTHERS AND IMMIGRANT MONTH
NEVERS AND [ INAUDIBLE ] SURE
MONTH
MOTHERS SEPARATE RATES THREE TO
FIVE TIMES OF WHITE WOMEN IN
THIS COUNTRY.
WHEN PRESIDENT, WHAT STEPS WILL
YOU TAKE THAT FEDERAL AND STATE
LEVELS TO DECREASE THE MATERNAL
MORTALITY RATE AND INCREASE
MATERNAL HEALTH AS A WHOLE IN
THIS COUNTRY?
>> THIS IS VERY PERSONAL FOR ME.
I HAVE FRIEND THAT HAVE
STRUGGLED WITH MA TERM HEALTH.
A LOT OF IT IS SOCIOECONOMIC.
IF YOU ARE IN A POOR AREA, POOR
NEIGHBORHOOD.
YOU HAVE WORSE OR NONEXISTENT
PRENADAL CARE.
NUTRITION.
VITAMINS LEADING UP.
IN EXTREME CASES MIGHT HAVE A
DRUG PROBLEM AND SOMETIMES SAID
CHILD IS BORN INHERITING THOSE
PROBLEMS.
BUT THE STATISTICS AROUND THIS
IT, SHOULD BE SHOCKING TO
AMERICANS.
BECAUSE OUR -- OUR LIFE
EXPECTANCY ORRIN FANT MORTALITY
RATE IS A TOTAL ABERRATION
RELATIVE TO OTHER DEVELOPED
COUNTRIES.
IF YOU LOOK AT A LIST IT'S LIKE
OTHER DEVELOPED COUNTRIES AND
THE UNITED STATES, AND A LOT
THAT HAVE IS BECAUSE OF THE
ECONOMIC AND EQUITYS THAT YOU
POINT OUT.
A LOT OF IT IS BECAUSE OF LIKE
BLACK WELL, BLACK MOMS,
IMMIGRANT MOMS DON'T HAVE THE
RESOURCES THEY NEED.
THEY NEEDED RESOURCES TO HAVE AT
LEAST A CHANCE TO HELP THE BABY
DEVELOP IN A HEALTHY WAY AND
NEED TO TIE THESE INSTITUTIONS
INCENTIVES TO HAVE AN INFANT
MORTALITY RATE FRANKLY WITHIN
THE NATIONAL NORMS OR STANDARDS
AND THIS HAPPENS IMMEDIATELY
AFTER BIRTH BUT I THINK IT'S
CRUCIAL.
ONLY FOUR COUNTRIES DON'T HAVE
MANDATORY PAID MATERNAL LEAVE
FOR NEW MOMS THE UNITED STATES
OF AMERICA, SWAZ EILAND, LASSO
THOUGH AND PAPUA NEW GUINEA, I
WOULD SUGGEST THIS IS IN THE A
LIST WE BELONG ON IT JUST GOES
TO SHOW HOW PATHOLOGICALLY
ANTI-MOM, ANTI-FAMILY THIS
DOESN'T ARE YOU IS.
I WAS SHOCKED MYSELF WHEN MY
WIFE GAVE BIRTH LIKE JUST HOW
RIDICULOUS THE PROCESS WAS
AGAINST HER IT FELT LIKE AT
EVERY TURN.
I FEEL VERY PASSIONATELY ABOUT
THIS.
MY WIFE DECIDED TO PURSUE
NATURAL WILD BIRTH WITH A DOULA
SO I APPLAUD WHAT YOU DO FOR A
LIVING.
AND WE HAD A TREMENDOUS
EXPERIENCE WITH THAT AND WOULD
RECOMMEND IT TO OTHERS.
OBJECT OBVIOUSLY
IT'S VERY PERSONAL FOR THE
MOTHER ON WHAT SHE DECIDES TO DO
BUT THAT WORKED TODAY US.
>> YOU TALKED ABOUT THE PAID
FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE AND
CHILDCARE AND THOSE ARE ISSUES
THAT YOU DON'T NORMALLY THINK OF
SMALL BUSINESSES BEING EXCITED
ABOUT, BUT THEY ARE.
THERE ARE PLANS OUT THERE IN
IOWA, TWO OPPOSING PLANS WE HAVE
A COUPLE OF OUR CONGRESSIONAL
REPRESENTATIVES SIGNING ONTO THE
FAMILY ACT AND THAN WE HAVE OUR
SENATOR WHO WANTS TO ROB SOCIAL
SECURITY EARNINGS.
TO PAY FOR PAID FAMILY MEDICAL
LEAVE.
HOW WOULD YOU PAY FOR THAT?
AND THEN WHAT WOULD WE DO ABOUT
LIKE CHILDCARE DESERT, OR
EXORBITANT COST OF CHILDCARE
THAT WE WANT THE CHILDCARE
WORKERS TO BE PAID, BECAUSE THEY
ARE PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT
PEOPLE IN A CHILD'S LIFE ASIDE
FROM THEIR PARENTS.
>> THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF US
SHOEING OURSELVES IN THE FOOT IN
TERMS OF HOW WE THINK ABOUT
COSTS.
IT'S VERY CLEAR FROM THE DATA
PAYING FOR PAID MATERNAL LEAVE
IT PAYS FOR ITSELF.
IT PAYS IN TERMS OF THE WOMAN
STAYING IN THE CORK FORCE AND I
AM SURE CHILD DEVELOPMENT AND
THE REST OF IT.
AS SOMEONE WHO HAS RAN A SMALL
BUSINESS I WAS HAPPY TO PAY FOR
THINGS IN THAT DIRECTION I THINK
IT SHOULD NOT COME OFF THE
SHOULDERS OF THE SMALL BUSINESS
IT'S SOCIETY THAT WILL BENEFIT
SOCIETY BENEFITS IN THAT WOMAN
IS ABLE TO RETURN TO WORK IN A
CERTAIN TIME FRAME.
SOCIETY BENEFITS IF THE KID IS
DEVELOPED.
>> DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE
FATHERS TOO.
>> THE FATHER, IDEALLY YOU WOULD
HAVE MATERNITY LEAVE, YES, BUT
ALSO SHARED PA PARENT THE LEAVE
AND THE PARENTS CAN CAN DIVVY IP
BUT IT SHOULD NOT COME OFF THE
BACKS OF EMPLOYERS.
ALL YOUR FINANCIAL INCENTIVES
ARE TO THE TO DO THE WRONG THING
IT'S TERRIBLE.
>> IT IS.
>> AS A PERSON YOU ARE TRYING TO
DO THE RIDE THING.
>> Reporter: BUT WAIT A MINUTE,
WHY ARE TREMENDOUS TRYING TO
MAKE IS SO HARD TO DO THE WRONG
THING.
AS A SEWED WE SHOULD DO THE
RIGHT THING AND THEN YOU SHOULD
FOCUS YOUR BUSINESS AND NOT HAVE
TO MAKE DIFFICULT HUMAN
DECISIONS ALL THE TIME.
>> THANK YOU.
>> AS YOU CAN TELL I LIVED IT.
IT'S A BIZARRE SYSTEM.
>> IT'S INTERESTING IN IOWA WHEN
I TALK TO PEOPLE ABOUT PAID
FAMILY MEDICAL LEAVE THEY DON'T
KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.
IT'S NOT AN ISSUE THAT'S REALLY
RISEN UP AND SO I THINK WE ALL
NEED TO WORK ON MAKING THAT AN
ISSUE IN THE NEXT ELECTION.
>> THIS IS THE BIG
TRANSFORMATION.
I CHANGE ECONOMIC MEASUREMENTS
TO BE HUMAN PROGRESS, ALL OF THE
SUDDEN DAY-CARE PAYS FOR ITSELF.
MATERNAL LEAVE PAYS FOR ITSELF.
THAT'S THE PERHAPS THAT COUNTRY
HAS GOTTEN IN TO WE SEE
EVERYTHING AS AN ECONOMIC INPUT
AND THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE
ABOUT CAPITAL EFFICIENCY THEN
YOU HAVE VERY RIDICULOUS
OUTCOMES FROM THAT.
IT'S LIKE, HEY, YOU ARE GOING TO
LOSE YOUR JOB IN A COAL MINE
MAYBE WE'LL TURN NEW TO CODERS,
EVEN THOUGH THAT MAKES ZERO
SENSE, THE ONLY WAY YOU THINK
THAT'S I HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE IS
IF YOU GET BRAIN WASHED THAT
ECONOMIC VALUE IS THE SAME THING
AS HUMAN VALUE.
IF ANYTHING, WE HAVE TO GO THE
OTHER DIRECTION AND SAY, HUMAN
VALUE IS ECONOMIC VALUE.
AND THEN ALL OF A SUDDEN,
CHILDCARE, EDUCATION, NURTURING,
CARE GIVING IT ALL BECOMES
INVESTMENTS I
INVESTMENTS INSTEAD OF EXPENSE
LINES, THAT HAS TO BE THE
DIRECTION WE GO.
IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MY
CAMPAIGN YOU KNOW I AM ABOUT
TRYING TO EVOLVE THE NBA TO THE
21st CENTURY ECONOMY, ALL OF A
LOT OF THE CAPITAL EFFICIENT
JOBS ARE GOING TO GET USURPED BY
MACHINES, CLEARLY.
THERE ARE SELF DRIVING TRUCKS ON
THE HIGHWAYS RIGHT NOW DRIVING A
TRUCK IS THE MOST COMMON JOB IN
29 STATES.
WHAT IS THE PATH FORWARD?
THE ONLY PATH FORWARD THAT WINS
FOR US IS IF WE CHANGE OUR
ECONOMIC MEASUREMENTS TO BE
HUMAN FLOURISHING AND THEN MOVE
IN THAT DIRECTION AS FAST AS
POSSIBLE.
>> THANK YOU.
>> MY NAME IS JAMIE AM A CURRENT
MEDICAL STUDENT HERE IN IOWA.
BUT I AM ORIGINALLY FROM A
ORIGINALLY A MEDICALLY UNDER
SERVED COMMUNITY IN WASHINGTON
STATE.
MY QUESTION IS ABOUT EDUCATION,
STAGGERING AMOUNTS OF DEBT --
>> 200K EASY.
>> QUARTER OF A MILLION UP TO --
>> MORE?
>> YEAH.
COMBINING UNDER GRAD DEBT ALONG
WITH THAT LEADING IN TO ALMOST
HALF A MILLION DOLLARS FOR SOME
OF MY FRIENDS .
>> WOW.
I WAS TRYING TO BE CONSERVATIVE.
IT'S MORE LIKE THREE OR 400K.
>> I MEAN, IT'S I KNOW FROM
GOING IN TO GRADUATION, AND
GOING LOOKING FOR A RESIDENCY
POSITION OR LOOKING FOR A JOB
GOING ON AND SO SO FORTH, THAT A
WEIGHT THAT MYSELF AND A LOT OF
PEERS WILL BE FEELING.
EVEN THOUGH PEOPLE LIKE US WOULD
WANT TO GO IN TO SERVE SOME OF
THESE COMMUNITIES LIKE MEDICALLY
UNDER SERVED COMMUNITIES THAT WE
ARE FROM.
>> I HAVE SUCH STRONG FEELINGS
ABOUT THIS.
CONTINUES.
>> MY QUESTION TO YOU WOULD BE
HOW IN YOUR FIRST DAY AS
PRESIDENT WOULD YOU MAKE
GRADUATE MEDICAL EDUCATION MORE
AFFORDABLE AND ACCESSIBLE
ESPECIALLY THOSE FROM LOW INCOME
FAMILIES SO THAT THEY CAN GO
BACK AND SERVE THE COMMUNITIES
THAT THEY CAME FROM?
>> I LOVE THIS QUESTION SO MUCH.
AND IT'S SO PROFOUND, I HAVE A
QUESTION FOR THAT NO ONE EVER
THINKS ABOUT.
WHY ARE THERE TWO FEW DOCTORS IN
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?
IS IT BECAUSE THERE IS A
SHORTAGE OF YOUNG PEOPLE WHO
WANT TO BECOME DOCTORS?
NO.
IT'S BECAUSE WE HAVE
ARTIFICIALLY CONSTRAINEDDED THE
SUPPLY OF DOCTORS FOR DECADES.
WE HAVE MADE IT INCREDIBLY
EXPENSIVE TO EDUCATE DOCTORS,
AND WE HAVE SAID GUESS WHAT, WE
ARE NOT GOING INCREASE THE
NUMBER OF SLOTS.
THIS IS ESSENTIALLY THE AMA
MEDICAL LOBBY ARTIFICIAL
CONSTRAINING SUPPLIES SO THAT
THEY CAN KEEP EARNINGS VERY,
VERY HIGH.
AND THE COST OF EDUCATION IS
SKYROCKETED.
I SOUNDS LIKE YOU WILL SO
SEVERAL HUNDRED THOUSAND DOLLARS
I OWED $100,000 MYSELF IN SCHOOL
LOANS SO I KNOW HOW ONEROUS IT
IS.
HERE IS WHAT WE DO, TAKE SMART
PEOPLE THAT WANTS TO BE DOCTORS
AND SAY, GREAT, YOU GOT IN TO
MEDICAL SCHOOL.
THERE WERE A LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE
THAT WANTED TO BE DOING TOUR BUD
THEY SHUT THE DOOR ON THEM AND
THEN THROW HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS
OF DOLLARS OF DEBT AND MAYBE YOU
WANTED TO BE A PRIMARY CARE
DOCTOR IN AN UNDERSERVED AREA
BUT WE ARE SETTING UP THE
INCENTIVES SO IT'S VERY
DIFFICULT FOR YOU DO THAT.
WE HAVE A MASSIVE DEBT AND IF
YOU GO FOR THAT AREA YOU MAKE
LESS MONEY IN A MORE DIFFICULT
ENVIRONMENT.
SO WHEN YOU ARE IN TRAINING YOUR
EN UP INCENTIVES ARE TO
SPECIALIZE AND DO SOMETHING MORE
LUCRATIVE AND NOT PRIMARY CARE,
NOT FAMILY MEDICINE.
AND THEN AFTER YOU SPECIALIZE,
THEN YOUR INCENTIVES ARE TO GO
TO A DENSELY POPULATED URBAN
AREA THAT WILL PAY NEW YOUR
SPECIALTY A LOT OF MONEY.
I MADE A JOKE THAT LAST DEBATE
THAT I AM ASIAN AND I KNOW DOOR
DOCTORS BUT THEY ARE TRUE FACT I
AM ASIAN AND I KNOW A LOT OF
DOCTORS THEY LIVED VERSIONS OF
THIS SHOWED UP TO MEDICAL SCHOOL
AND YOU ARE IN THE SYSTEM AND
WAIT A MINUTE, I OWE HOW MUCH?
WHAT?
IT'S LIKE I GUESS I SHOULD STICK
AROUND AND GET THAT FELLOWSHIP
IN, YOU KNOW, ANESTHESIOLOGIST,
TERM TO GO.
AND DERMATOLOGY, NOW I HAVE
THIS THING, IF I GO TO THE
COASTAL CITY I CAN MAKE A KILLII
GUESS THAT'S MY MOVE.
THOSE ARE THE INCENTIVES WE SET
UP.
WHAT DO WE NEED DO?
FIRST?
THE SHORT-TERM WE SHOULD FORGET
A LOT OF THE MEDICAL SCHOOL DEBT
FOR SOMEONE WHO DECIDES TO GO TO
AN UNDERSERVED AREA.
I THINK ABOUT 30% OF THE COUNTRY
IS A PRIMARY CARE DESERT WHERE
PEOPLE CAN'T ACCESS PRIMARY CARE
DOCTORS.
THE BIG THING WE NEED TO DO,
THOUGH, WE NEED TO BREAK THE
STRANGLE HOLD OF THE MEDICAL
LOBBY ON TREATING PATIENTS.
BECAUSE THE FACT IS IN THIS ERA.
IF YOU HAVE A NURSE TRACK TIPS
THE OR PRIMARY CARE SPECIALIST
SUPPLEMENTED BY AI THAT CAN TELL
THEM, YOU KNOW, WHAT THIS IS
LIST FOR YOU, A.I. AT THIS POINT
CAN SUPPLEMENT A HUMAN DIAGNOSIS
IN SOME CASES IT CAN DO A LOT OF
THE WORK.
RIGHT NOW IT'S SUPERIOR TO A
HUMAN RADIOLOGIST ON IDENTIFYING
TUMORS ON A RADIOLOGIST FILM
BECAUSE SOFTWARE CAN SEE SHADES
OF GRAY THAT HUMANS CAN'T THEY
CAN REFERENCE DATA POINTS WHERE
A HUMAN CAN ONLY REFERENCE
HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS.
WE NEED TO MAKE THAT RESOURCE
AVAILABLE TO MORE AMERICANS BY
SAYING, LOOK, THIS INFURIATES ME
YOU GO TO THE DOCTOR AND SAY
THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH DOCTORS,
HOW ABOUT WE LET NURSE PRACTICE
PRACTITIONERS SEE PATIENTS IN
RURAL AREAS THAT DON'T HAVE
DOCTORS, WHAT DO YOU THINK THE
MEDICAL LOBBY SAYS ABOUT THAT?
NO, IT'S A DOCTOR.
IT HAS TO BE A DOCTOR.
THAT'S MESSED UP.
YOU HAVE TO EITHER INCREASE THE
SUPPLY AND WE'LL PUT MONEY TO
WORK TO HEM YOU DO THAT.
AND WE HAVE TO LOOSEN UP
LICENSES RESTRICTIONS.
THERE IS ANOTHER TRAP IN THE
DOCTOR WORLD THAT YOU'LL SEE, IS
THAT YOU HAVE STATE BY STATE
LICENSING.
AND THE STATE BY STATE LICENSING
MAKES VERY LITTLE SENSE BECAUSE
FRANKLY, IF YOU ARE A DORK
QUALIFIED IN IOWA, YOU COULD
PROBABLY SEE HUMAN PATIENTS IN
MINNESOTA.
HUMAN ANATOMY IS MORE OR LESS
THE SAME ACROSS STATE LINES IT'S
NOT LIKE MINUTE MINNESOTANS HAV.
>> YOU NEVER KNOW.
>> SO WHY IS IT STATE BY STATE?
AGAIN, JUST THE LOBBYIST TRYING
TO PROTECT SRAEFR JUSTICE
BUSINESSES YOU LOWER THE
LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND MAKE
MEDICAL TRAINING MORE PORTABLE
AND INCREASE THE SUPPLY AND TRY
TO GET THE COST DOWN AND YOU
FORGIVE THE DEBT AND THEN YOU
HOPEFULLY PROVIDE NEW WAYS FOR
PEOPLE GETTING CARE.
THIS IS OBVIOUSLY, YOU KNOW, I
HAVE I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT THIS
BECAUSE I SEE HOW DEEP THE EN
FISH IS IS
EFFICIENCIES ARE BECAUSE MY
FRIENDS ARE DOCTORS LITTLE YOU
FEEL LIKE YOU HAVE NO CHOICE
BECAUSE WE HAVE SADDLED YOU WITH
LIFE-CHANGING DEBT.
I DON'T THINK THAT IS
NECESSARILY THE RIGHT WAY TO
INCENTIVIZE DOCTORS TO DO THE
RIGHT THING, IT'S LIKE I WAS
TALKING ABOUT SMALL BUSINESS
OWNERS IT'S LIKE WE ARE GOING TO
ASK YOU TO DO THE RIGHT THING
BUT WE'LL HAVE ALL YOUR
INCENTIVES BEING THE OTHER
DIRECTION IT'S THE SAME WITH
DOCTORS WE WANT TO YOU RETURN TO
YOUR COMMUNITY AND SEE POOR
PEOPLE WHO NEED A FAMILY DOCTOR,
BUT WE ARE GOING TO ACTUALLY
MAKE IT MUCH, MUCH EASIER FOR
YOU TO GO LIKE TRY TO BECOME AN
ORTHOPEDIC SURGEON IN NEW YORK
CITY.
>> VERY GOOD.
YOU JUST MENTIONED SMALL
BUSINESS OWNERS, AND I JUST WANT
TO MAKE A COMMENT TO PEOPLE THAT
ARE LISTENING ONLINE, THAT WE
ARE HOLDING THIS IN A SMALL
BUSINESS AND IN A COFFEE SHOP
WHERE THE BARISTA IS WORKING
REALLY HARD OVER THERE.
SO IF YOU ARE HEARING SOME
NOISES THAT DON'T SOUND LIKE YOU
ARE IN SOMEONE'S LIVING ROOM,
THAT'S WHY.
AND WE ARE VERY HAPPY THAT MIKE
DRAPER LET US USE HIS STORE
TODAY FOR THIS EVENT.
AND YOU ARE UP.
>> SURE.
>> HI, I AM AUBREY MASSMAN, I AM
ALSO A MEDICAL STUDENT IN MY
THIRD YEAR STARTING TO CLINICAL
CO ROTATIONS SO FINALLY GETTING
OUT IN TO THE WORLD AND SEEING
PATIENTS HERE IN IOWA AND I WANT
TO ASK ABOUT MENTAL HEALTH I
NOTICE THAT'S A PRETTY BIG
DISPARITY ESPECIALLY HERE IN
IOWA.
WE ARE RANKED AS THE LAST IN THE
COUNTRY ON INPATIENT PSYCHIATRIC
UNITS PER CAP PA.
AND SO I I WOULD LIKE TO ASK
FIRST OF ALL, I KNOW YOU TALK
ABOUT EXEC OPINIONSING ACCESS TO
MENTAL HEALTH HOW DO YOU BOLSTER
THAT WORKFORCE, I KNOW THE BIG
ISSUE HERE IS A LACK OF SUPPLY.
AND YOU ALSO HAVE MENTIONED IN
THE PAST IS UP LAMB THAT GO WITH
A.I. AND I WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU
DO THAT IN SUCH A DIFFICULT
FIELD.
>> MY BROTHER SAY PSYCHOLOGY
PROFESS ORAL SO I HAVE STRONG
FEELINGS ABOUT THE FACT THAT WE
ARE IN THE MIDST OF A MENTAL
HEALTH CRISIS IN THIS COUNTRY
GOING UNADDRESSED AND ONE OF THE
BIG PRINCIPAL IS HIS THAT MENTAL
HEALTH IS HEALTH.
AND THERE ARE SOME EFFORTSES TO%
INTEGRATE MENTAL HEALTH WITH
TREATMENTS THAT PEOPLE SEEK.
IMAGINE SOMEONE SHOWING UP TO
THE HOSPITAL WITH A RANGE OF
ISSUES, LET'S CALL THEM DRUG
ADDITIONS.
A LOT OF THESE THINGS HAVE
PSYCHOLOGICAL TIE INS SO THERE
WAS ONE FACILITY.
THEY PREFER TO YOU THE THERAPIST
DOWN THE HALL.
AND THE THERAPIST SEES YOU TOO.
AND AND THEY HAVE BETTER HEALTH
OUTCOMES THAN A STAND-ALONE
FACILITY.
BUT THAT DOESN'T ADDRESS WHAT
YOU ARE TOPPING ABOUT THE LACK
OF PROVIDERS.
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF PEOPLE
THAT WANT THE ROLES, THEY ARE
MAKING IT HARD AND EXPENSIVE FOR
SOMEONE TO ACTUALLY GET THOSE
ROLES.
PART OF IT IS IF THEY SHIFT OUR
MEANT LITTLE HEALTH AND WE SAY
WE ARE NOT INVESTING MUCH IN THE
MENTAL HEALTH OF PEOPLE IN A
PARTICULAR AREA.
AND THEN OVERTIME, THE
[email protected] TO FILL THOSE
GAPS.
IT WOULD LOOK UP AND SAYING
WELL, LITERALLY IT'S THE
GOVERNMENT'S JOB TO MAKE US
STRONGER AND HEALTHIER, IF YOU%
ARE LOOKING UP AND SAYING, WELL,
PEOPLE ARE UNHEALTHY IN THAT
AREA BECAUSE, GUESS WHAT, THEY
KNOW PSYCHOLOGISTS, NO
THERAPISTS, NO COUNSELORS, THE
GOVERNMENT WOULD SAY LET'S
CHANGE THAT AND YOU PUT
RESOURCES TO WORK.
PEOPLE KNOW PEOPLE.
I SNOW SOMEBODY WHO WOULD LOVE
TO ENTER THIS FIELD.
WE HAVE MADE THE TRAINING
DIFFICULT TO ACCESS, EXPENSIVE,
WE HAVE SET UP IN MY MIND, VERY
ART FINISH BARRIERS AROUND TEST
SCORES, IT'S LIKE YOU NEED TO BE
A FREAKING GENIUS TO -- TO LIKE
GET CERTAIN DEGREES AND IT'S
TOTALLY UNNECESSARY.
THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE THAT
WOULD BE EXCELLENT IN ROLES
HELPING OTHER PEOPLE.
WE NEED TO OPEN IT UP SO PEOPLE
CAN BE IN THAT POSITION.
>> WHEN WE ARE TALKING ABOUT
MENTAL HEALTH, A LOT OF PEOPLE,
YOU KNOW, WHERE THEY END UP IS
IN OUR JAILS AND PRISON SYSTEM.
>> VERY MUCH SO.
>> I THINK THAT'S A BIG, BICK
ISSUE WHEN IT COMES TO THAT.
AND WHAT CAN WE DO ABOUT THAT?
WITH USED TO HAVE FACILITIES IN
IOWA IN EVERY COUNT THAT I
PEOPLE CAN GO TO AND NOW THEY
ARE LIKE, WHAT, THREE IN THE
STATE, MAYBE?
I MEAN, IT'S --
>> IT'S ALL TIED TOGETHER.
WE HAVE THIS INCREDIBLY PUNITIVE
SYSTEM OF MASS INCARCERATION AND
IN SOMEONE IS MENTALLY ILL AND
STRUGGLING AND COMMITS SOMETHING
CRIMINAL WE JUST THROW THEM IN
JAIL AND THINGS IN MANY CASES
JUST GET WORSE IN JAIL.
>> RIGHT.
>> COMPOUND THAT GO, WE HAVE
PRIVATE PRISONS.
SO THEIR ECONOMIC INCENTIVES ARE
ACTUALLY TO TREATY FAIRLY POORLY
BECAUSE THEY CAN SAVE MONEY AND
THEN IF YOU COME BACK, THEY MAKE
MORE MONEY.
>> RIGHT.
>> THAT'S A GHASTLY SET OF
INCENTIVES, AS I THINK YOU CAN
TELL, I AM ABOUT TRYING TO GET
THE RIGHT INCENTIVES IN PLACE SO
THAT WE CAN DO THE RIGHT THING.
IT'S ONE OF MY GREAT
FRUSTRATIONS IS THAT ESSENTIALLY
RIGHT NOW THE INCENTIVES IN
AMERICAN LIFE ARE GEM CORRUPT.
WHERE THEY ARE ALL ABOUT
MAXIMIZING THE BOTTOM LINE IN
EVERY DIRECTION.
AND THE BOTTOM LINE AND THE
HUMAN BOTTOM LINE ARE DID I
VERGEING IN VERY IMPORTANT WAYS,
SO IF YOU HAVE A PRIVATE PRISON
AND YOU ARE TRYING TO BE
MAXIMALLY PROFIT AM, YOU CUT
CORN ORES TREATMENT.
YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT RECIDIVISM
AT ALL.
AND SO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO IS IN
MY MIND GET RID OF PRIVATE
PRISONS IN NOT AN AREA WHERE
PROFIT MOTIVATION MAKES ANY
SENSE AND THEN YOU WOULD PAY
JAILS BASED UPON SUCCESS
PRESSURES LIKE REHABILITATION
AND REENTERING SOCIETY AND
TREATMENT OF MENTAL ILLNESSES
AND YOU KNOW WHAT WILL HELP A
LOT.
IS WHEN THEY OUT IF THEY HAVE A
THOUSAND BUCKS A MONTH AND THERE
IS NO JOB WAITING FOR THEM WITH
A THOUSAND BUCKS A MONTH PEOPLE
WOULD BE HAPPY TO SEE THEM.
HEY, I AM YOU THE ON.
GREAT, YOU BROUGHT A DID I HAVE
DID HE WANT WITH YOU.
IT'S UNFORTUNATE THAT PROBABLY
WOULD CHANGE THE RAY PEOPLE
REACT.
>> HI, I AM RYAN MORSE JETER AND
IS A LIVE HERE IN DES MOINES.
ONE OF THE THINGS THAT
CAPTIVATED MYSELF AND MY FAMILY
ABOUT YOUR CAMPAIGN IS, YOUR
WANT AND OUR NEED TO CHANGE THE
WAY THAT WE MEASURE WHAT A
SUCCESSFUL SOCIETY AND
SUCCESSFUL ECONOMY LOOK LIKE.
AND I ALSO REALLY LOVE THE FACT
THAT YOU WANT TO USE POWER POINT
DECKS TO DO SOME OF THIS.
I WORK FOR A LARGE CORPORATION,
I SEE A LOT OF POWER POINT
DECKS, SOME ARE BETTER SOME ARE
WORSE BUT THEY ALL GET THE
INFORMATION ACROSS FAIRLY
SIMPLY, THEY ARE EASILY TO
UNDERSTAND.
I GUESS I HAVE TWO QUESTIONS.
FIRST QUESTION WOULD BE CAN YOU
PROMISE THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT
YOU WON'T USE A SHARPIE TO
ADJUST ANY OF THOSE
PRESENTATIONS?
>> YES, THUMBS UP, AWESOME.
>> SECOND QUESTION WOULD BE HOW
TO YOU PLAN TO IMPLEMENT SOME OF
THESE CHANGES IN THE WAY WE
APPRECIATE YOU ARE, YOU ANSWERED
SOME BEFORE IN REGARDS TO GDP.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR A CUMULATIVE
NUMBER OR PUT TOGETHER A POWER
POINT PRESS TAKES WITH DIFFERENT
NUMBERS THAT SHOW YOU HAVE A WAY
YOU WANT TO SHOW US, WHAT, I
GUESS SCORE, HOW DO WE SCORE
THIS?
>> WELL, THANK YOU, AND YOU SEE
THE VISION VERY CLEARLY, A GDP
IS LEADING US OFF A CLIFF AND
IT'S AT RECORD HIGH, ALSO RECORD
HIGHS SUICIDES, DRUG OVERDOSES,
ANXIETY, STRESS, IT'S THE
OPPOSITE OF WHAT WE NEED.
NOW, I AM HAPPY TO SAY WE HAVE
MEASUREMENTS FOR THINGS LIKE
LIKE EXPECTANCY OBVIOUSLY.
WE HAVE MEASUREMENTS, THEY ARE
NOT WHAT THEY SHOULD BE FOR
THINGS LIKE MENTAL HEALTH, DRUG
OVERDOSE RATES AND DEATHS OF
DESPAIR, CHILDHOOD SUCCESS RATE
TORQUE SOME DEGREE, TO SOME
DEGREE WE HAVE ENVIRONMENTAL
QUALITY MEASUREMENTS LIKE YOU
HAVE SOME LIMITED SENSE OF HOW
CLEAN OUR AIR AND WATER ARE.
AND I AM HAPPY TO SAY THAT ME
GOING DOWN THE STREET TO THE
BUREAU OF ECONOMIC ANALYSIS AND
SAYING, GUESS WHAT, THESE ARE
THE NEW PRESSURES AND REPORTING
GDP YOU USE THESE AND USING THE
POWER POINT SAYING, ALL RIGHT,
HERE IS OUR CURRENT LIFE
EXPECTANCY, 78.4, GOING DOWN FOR
THREE YEARS.
THAT IS NOT NORMAL.
THAT HAS NOT HAPPENED IN 100
YEARS.
WHAT ARE THE MOVES WE CAN MAKE
QUICKLY TO HELP REVERSE THIS
DECLINE IN LIFE EVENING PECK
TANS I.
RIGHT NOW THE TWO BIG PROBLEMS
ARE SUICIDES AND DRUG OVERDOSES
SO YOU SAY IF EIGHT AMERICANS
ARE DIEING OF DRUGS EVERY HOUR,
THAT IS HORRIFYING.
AND WAY TOO HIGH.
AND SO THEN HOW ARE REGOING TO
GET THOSE NUMBERS DOWN IN A
SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.
NUMBER LIKE THE AMERICAN
SCORECARD YOU GET USED TO SAY
AND SAY THE AMERICAN SCORECARD
IS GETTING BETTER OR WORSE AND
THEN INDIVIDUAL MEASUREMENTS FOR
DEATH, DESPAIR FOR LIFE EXPECT
TANS I, MENTAL HEALTH AND THEN
AFTER WE GOT GOOD AT THAT IT.
YOU COULD INTERVIEWS
MEASUREMENTS HE YOU WANT FOR
THINGS LIKE ASSOCIATES YOUR
ECONOMIC FAIRNESS AND CULTURAL
DYNAMISM YOU COULD BE HEY, IF
THERE IS LIKE -- LET'S SAY, FOR
EXAMPLE, INSTEAD OF ARTISTS
DOING SOME BEAUTIFYING DES
MOINES, THAT ACTUALLY LIKE GETS
A TICK SOMEWHERE.
THAT'S AFTER YOU GET VERY, VERY
SOPHISTICATED.
THE BASIC MEASUREMENTS ARE
THERE.
AND MOST OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE
WOULD UNDERSTAND IMMEDIATELY.
IF I SAY LIFE EXPECTANCY, YOU
GET IT.
IF I SAY DRUG OVERDOSES EVERYONE
GETS IT UNFORTUNATELY.
OVERTIME THIS IS JUST WHAT ANY
IN MY MIND EFFECTIVE
ORGANIZATION WOULD DO.
IS THAT YOU LOOK AT WHAT THE
REAL PROBLEMS ARE, AND THEN YOU
START TRYING TO ATTACK THEM.
BUT YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHAT THE
BASELINE IS?
>> BUT THANK YOU FOR SEEING THE
VISION.
THIS IS A VISION OF A HUMAN
CERTAINTIED ECONOMY.
OR HUMAN CAPITALISM FOR SURE.
>> WE SEAT VISION FOR SHORT.
>> GREAT.
DO YOU SEE THE VISION, I AM NOT
SUPPOSED TO LOOK AT YOU.
[ LAUGHTER ]
>> OKAY, SO I THINK I AM THE
LAST MEDICAL STUDENT IN THE
ROOM.
[ LAUGHTER ]
>> MY NAME IS ALEXI AM A SECOND
YEAR MEDICAL STUDENTS IN DES
MOINES, MY QUESTION IS KIND OF
CENTERED ON ABORTION.
SO AS WE ALL KNOW, WOMEN'S
REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS ARE
CURRENTLY UNDER ATTACK ALL
ACROSS COUNTRY.
SPECIFICALLY I THINK MOST
NOTABLY BY LIMITING ACCESS TO
SAFE AND COMPETENT ABORTION
SERVICES.
LIKE WOMEN ARE CERTAINLY WE TALK
ABOUT THE DESERT OF LIKE PRIMARY
HEALTHCARE DEBTS EFFORTS DESERTO
DRIVE HOURS AND HOURS WITH
MANDATORY WAITING PERIODS FORK
ME PERSONALLYING I AM HOPING TO
SPECIAL EYES IN REPRODUCTIVE
MEDICINE SO THIS IS A
PARTICULARLY IMPORTANT KIND OF
TREND THAT I HAVE BEEN PAYING
ATTENTION TO.
WHAT IS YOUR PLAN SPECIFICALLY
TO ADDRESS THESE ATTACKS ON
WOMEN'S RIGHTS WITHIN YOUR FIRST
100 DAYS IN OFFICE?
>> I WOULD LIKE TO CODIFY ROW V
WADE IN TO LAW.
THE RESOURCES AVAILABLE FOR
PLANNED PARENTHOOD AND WOMEN'S
REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS SENTERS
AROUND THE COUNTRY RIM.
TO ME THESE CENTERS ARE, ONE,
IMPORTANT FOR HEALTH.
LIKE WOMEN'S HEALTH IS HEALTH.
BUT, TWO, THERE IS LIKE A REAL
EQUITY ISSUE BECAUSE AS YOU ARE
SAYING, THAT IN YOU LIVE IN A
POOR AREA, THEN IT'S MUCH, MUCH
HARDER AND THAT TO ME IS
NAUGHTON 1KWRU6D.
SO WE NEED TO PUT RESOURCES TO
WORK TO TO PUT HE CAN WIT I IN
THAT.
MY PROPOSE IS TO GIVE EVERYBODY
A THOUSAND DOLLARS A MONTH WHICH
WOULD HELP BALANCE SAID
INEQUITIES BETWEEN JUNE
COMMUNITIES, QUICKLY.
THE MAIN THING IS TO TRY TO
REVERSE THE ATTACKS AND
REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS AND GET
CENTERS TO PROVIDE THIS CARE.
>> WOULD YOU PUSH FOR
LEGISLATION TO KIND OF LIKE DOWN
REGULATE TRACK LAWS.
THE TARGETED REGULATION OF
ABORTION PROVIDERS A LOT OF
THOSE LOOK AT LEGISLATION INNING
SID CUT
INSIDIOUS,, DOCTORS PASSIONATE
ABOUT IT AND WILL GIVE ABORTIONS
THERE ARE GAG RULES DO YOU HAVE
PLANS TO PUSH FOR LEGISLATION
THAT WOULD BASICALLY BE THOSE
LAWS?
>> TO ME THERE SHOULD BE NOTHING
STAND BE
STANDING BETWEEN WHAT A DOCTOR
THINKS IS RIGHT FOR THE PATIENT
AND NOTHING FOR EXPECTANT MOM
FROM PURSUING THAT CARE, TO ME
WE HAVE TO RESPECT WOMEN'S
RIGHTS TO CHOOSE AND THAT
INCLUDES NOT JUST THROWING UP
BARRIERS IN THE WAY.
>> I AM A VERY UNIQUE POSITION
BECAUSE I AM A SOCIAL WORKER
HERE IN DES MOINES AS I CARE FOR
MY SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER I WORK
FOR A SMALL BUSINESS WHERE I
CAN'T AFFORD HEALTH INSURANCE.
IRONICALLY ENOUGH THE REASON I
AM HERE IS BECAUSE MY DAUGHTER
LOST HER MEDICATION AND MY
QUESTION TO YOU HAS DIRECT LINKS
TO BIG FARM.
ONE OF HER MEDICATIONS, SO SHE
LOST A MONTH'S -- A MONTH'S
SUPPLY OF MEDICATION.
ONE OF NOT SCRIPTS, JUST ONE,,
ON GOOD RX SIEVE HUNDRED $89 AND
THAT'S THE GENERIC VERSION,
THAT'S ONE OF THE FOUR PILLS
THAT SHE HAS TO TAKE.
IN ADDITION TO HEALTHCARE BEING
AS EXPENSIVE AS IT IS FOR SMALL
BUSINESSES AND THE FACT THAT I
AM A PRODUCT OF THAT SMALL
BUSINESS.
YOU ALSO HAVE PREEXISTING
CONDITIONS BUT WE STILL ALSO
HAVE BIG FARM.
AND NBA THIS INDUSTRY THAT IS
LUCRATIVE AND RIDICULOUS.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO ABOUT THAT?
>> WELL, FIRST, THANK YOU FOR
EVERYTHING THAT YOU DO, ONE OF
MY BOYS IS AUTISTIC AND TO ME,
BEING NEUROLOGICALLY ATYPICAL IS
THE NEW NORMAL.
BUT I UNDERSTAND WHAT PARENTS
DO.
YOU KNOW.
I I AM ONE.
SO THANK YOU.
WHY IS IT THAT DRUG PRICES ONLY
GO IN ONE DIRECTION?
WHY DO THEY ONLY GO UP?
SO I HAVE A FOUR-POINT PLAN TO
REVERSE THE INCREASES IN DRUG
PRICE THAT'S THINK WOULD WORK
QUICKLY.
IF YOU NEGOTIATE ON BEHALF OF
THE AMERICAN PEOPLE YOU WILL NOT
BELIEVE THIS H RIGHT NOW THE
GOVERNMENT IS NOT ALLOWED TO
NEGOTIATE FOR LOWER DRUG PRICES
ON BEHALF OF AMERICAN PEOPLE
BECAUSE THE DRUG LOB IS A SO
POWERFUL OF COURSE THEY MADE IT
SO YOU CAN'T EVERYBODY
NEGOTIATE.
THAT'S NUMBER ONE, NEGOTIATE NO
LOWER PRICES, NUMBER TWO, IS YOU
ADOPT INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS
FOR THE COST OF DRUGS AND
PROVIDE -- APPLY IT TO AMERICAN
DRUG COMPANIES.
YOU ARE ALSO NOT GOING TO
BELIEVE THIS, AMERICAN DRUG
COMPANIES ROUTINELY CHARGE US
TWO, THREE, FOUR TIMES AS MUCH
AS THEY CHARGE FOR THE SAME
DRUGS IN OTHER COUNTRIES.
IN MANY CASE WEST SIX IS A DIED
THE DEVELOPMENT OF THAT YOUNG.
SO WHAT WE'LL SAY IS WE'LL HAVE
I PRICING SCHEDULE SAY YOU
CANNOT CHARGE THE AMERICAN
PEOPLE MORE THAN YOU ARE
CHARGING OTHER PEOPLE BASED ON A
COST AVERAGE.
NUMBER THREE, WE HAVE THE
ABILITY TO ENFORCEBLY LICENSE
YOUR DRUG IF YOU DO NOT ABIDE BY
NUMBER TWO AND WE HAVE OUR OWN
MANUFACTURING FACILITIES TO
MANUFACTURE THE DRUG UNDER OUR
OWN LICENSE.
THAT'S LIKE A HARMER, IF YOU
HAVE YOUR OWN GOVERNMENT
FACILITIES.
DO YOU THINK DRUG COMPANIES
WOULD COMPETE THEIR PRICES YOU U
WERE CONTROLLED IF THEY SAY THAT
WAS THE OUTCOME IF THEY GOAL
GAUGE US.
THIS IS THE ONLY WAY FOR IT TO
WORK THE ONLY WAY FOR THEM IS TO
STICK IT TO US AND PROFIT THE
HIGHEST ABILITY THAT THEY CAN.
AND YOU KIND UP IN SITUATIONS
LIKE YOURS WHERE, YOU KNOW, YOU
CAN'T AFFORD THE DRUGS THAT YOU
NEED.
AND THEY DON'T CARE.
THEIR INCENTIVES ARE ALL TO JUST
TRY AND SQUEEZE MORPH I OUT OF
US.
THE HEALTHCARE HAS RUN AMUCK AND
THE GOVERNMENT IS WAY BEHIND THE
CURVE AND HELD CAPTIVE.
OUR GOVERNMENT RIGHT NOW IS NOT
OUR GOVERNMENT IN MANY RESPECTS.
THIS MAY SOUND FAR AFIELD BUT I
THINK IT'S IMPORTANT.
I HAVE BEEN RUNNING FOR
GOVERNMENT FOR MONTHS, PEOPLE
AND MONEY ARE IN TWO DIFFERENT
PLACES, IF A THOUSAND IOWANS OR
10,000 IOWANS VOTE FOR YOU
THAT'S TREMENDOUS, BUT YOU HAVE
ALL THE MONEY COMING FROM THE
CORPORATES.
LIKE THE DRUG INDUSTRY SPEND
HUNDREDs OF MILLIONS OF
DOLLARS LOBBYING.
IF YOU ARE A POLITICIAN YOU ARE
RESPONSIVE TO THE MONEY, YOU CAN
COUNT THE MONEY, YOU KNOW, YOU
CAN SEE IT IN YOUR BANK ACCOUNT.
AND THEIR FOOD IS NICER, LIKE
THE PEOPLE ARE, YOU KNOW, THE
PEOPLE ARE BETTER DRESSED.
AND SOME OF THEM CAN GIVE YOU A
JOB AFTER.
SO IF YOU ARE A LEGISLATOR YOUR
EN SENSITIVE IS TO GO TOWARDS
THE MON, THE WAY WE OVERCOME IN
IS TO MAKE IT SO THE DRUG
COMPANIES CAN'T STICK IT TO US
AT EVERY TURN YOU GIVE EVERY
AMERICANA DID YOU WANT HUNDRED
100 DEMOCRACY DOLLARS THAT WE
CAN GIVE TO ANY CAMPAIGN WE
WOULD THIS WOULD WASH OUT THE
LOBBYIST FACTOR BY 8-1, IF YOU
GET ENOUGH PEOPLE BEHIND YOU
SAYING PRESIDENT YANG AND YOU
SHOULD KNOW I AM RIGHT NOW
FUELED ENTIRELY BY SMALL DOLLAR
DONATIONS.
THE AVERAGE DONATION TO MY
CAMPAIGN IS $25 ONLINE, MY FANS
ARE EVERYBODY CHEAPER THAN
BERNIES.
I HAVE NO CORPORATE MONEY TO PER
ANSWER TO.
IF I GO TO THE LEGISLATURE AND
SAY, HEY, GUYS, GUESS WHAT, DRUG
COMPANIES ARE RUNNING A MUCK.
WE HAVE THIS FOUR-POINT PLAN TO
BRING THE PRICES YOU REMEMBERED
CONTROL.
OVEN TO GET THE LEGISLATORS TO
GO AGAINST THE COR THE PRACTICE
MASTERS THE ONLY WAY TO THEY DO
THAT IS IF THEY SEE SIDING FOR
THE PEOPLE -- WITH THE PEOPLE IS
GOOD FOR THEM.
HOW WILL THEY DO THE RIGHT THING
FIGURE WE HAVE THE MONEY.
THAT'S THE ONLY WAY.
THIS IS THE WHY TO SAY I THINK
DETERMINED TO HAVING DRUG
COMPANIES WORK FOR US RATHER
THAN SUBJECT TO THEIR ARBITRARY
PRICE INCREASES.
>> HI, ANDREW, MY NAME IS
MICHAEL AND I AM UNIQUELY
PRIVILEGED TO COME FROM A FAMILY
WHO HAS BEEN GIVEN A HEART FOR
MENTAL HEALTH.
AND MORE SPECIFICALLY, IN THE
LAST FIVE TO 10 YEARS, DRUG
ADDICTION.
I HAVE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY TO
WORK THAT POLK COUNTY JAIL WITH
AN ALTERNATIVE SENTENCING
PROGRAM, AS WELL ALSO MY DAD WHO
HAS WORK ED IN THAT ALTERNATIVE
SENTENCING PROGRAM, FOR PEOPLE
WITH NONVIOLENT DRUG-BASED
OFFENSES.
MY QUESTION, IS HOW YOU WOULD
DEAL WITH THE RESIT JIM RECIDIVS
FOR THESE MEN AND WOMEN AND
LOOKING ATTA DICK, WHAT YOUR
PLAN IS MOVING FORWARD FOR THESE
PEOPLE WHOSE LIFE HAVE HIS BEEN
UP TURNED EITHER BY BIG
PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANIES THAT
HAVE EFFECTIVELY MADE THEM
ADDICTED OR JUST THROUGH THE WAY
THAT LIFE HAS FALLEN UPON THEM?
>> CONGRATULATIONS FOR ALL THAT
YOU AND YOUR FAMILY HAVE DONE.
WHY DO WE HAVE AN OPIOID
EPIDEMIC THIS COUNTRY?
BECAUSE PURDUE PHARMA
DISTRIBUTED MILLIONS OF OKAY
ICON TIFF PREVISIONS AND MADE
10s OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS
THEY DO THE FINED FIVE OR
600 MILLION WHICH SOUND LIKE A
LOT THAT UNTIL YOU KNOW THEY
MADE THIRD BILLION THEY NOT A 2%
FINE AND THEY ARE SOME OF THE
RICHEST PEOPLE IN THE COUNTRY.
THEY DISTRIBUTED MILLIONS OF
OXYCONTIN PRECIPITATIONS THERE
WAS ONE POINT WHERE THERE I WAS
MORE PRESUMPTIONS THAN HUMAN
BEINGS IN THE STATE OF OHIO.
WHO CAN LOOK AT THAT AND SAY
IT'S APPROPRIATE.
IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE, THEY
MARKETED IT AS A NONADDICTIVE
WONDER DRUG.
IT WAS SUPER KICK TIFF.
THE OXI ADDICTION HAS SPEARED
NOW IN TO HEROINE AND FENTANYL.
AND OTHER OPIATES THAT ARE
CHEAPER.
EASIER TO GET.
AID AMERICANS DIEING EVERY HOUR,
COUNTLESS OTHERS LIFED IMPACTED.
OR?
SOME CASES RUINED.
    You must  Log in  to get the function.
Tip: Click on the article or the word in the subtitle to get translation quickly!

Loading…

2020 Hopeful Andrew Yang Talks with Voters in Des Moines, Iowa | NowThis

18 Folder Collection
王惟惟 published on January 13, 2020
More Recommended Videos
  1. 1. Search word

    Select word on the caption to look it up in the dictionary!

  2. 2. Repeat single sentence

    Repeat the same sentence to enhance listening ability

  3. 3. Shortcut

    Shortcut!

  4. 4. Close caption

    Close the English caption

  5. 5. Embed

    Embed the video to your blog

  6. 6. Unfold

    Hide right panel

  1. Listening Quiz

    Listening Quiz!

  1. Click to open your notebook

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔