B1 Intermediate Other 458 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
EVENING'S DEBATE.
AND WE JUST UNDER TWO WEEKS LEFT
IN THE CAMPAIGN, THERE'S A LOT
ON THE LINE FOR EVERYONE
TONIGHT.
SO SETTLE IN.
I'M PLEASED TO BE JOINED BY THE
LEADERS OF BC'S THREE MAJOR
POLITICAL PARTIES.
WE HAVE THE LIBERALS' CHRISTY
CLARK.
THE GREENS' ANDREW WEAVER.
AND JOHN HORGAN FROM THE NDP.
WELCOME TO YOU ALL.
>>> I WANT TO EXPLAIN HOW THE
NEXT 90 MINUTES WILL UNFOLD.
WE WILL BEGIN WITH OPENING
STATEMENTS IN JUST A MOMENT.
WE HAVE CONSULTED WITH SOME OF
THE TOP POLITICAL OBSERVERS IN
THE PROVINCE TO FORMULATE
QUESTIONS TAILORED TO EACH
SPECIFIC LEADER.
THERE WILL BE A PORTION OF THE
DEBATE WHERE THE LEADERS WILL
HAVE A CHANCE TO QUESTION AND
DEBATE EACH OTHER ON THREE MAJOR
THEMES AND OTHER HOT TOPICS.
AND THERE ARE, OF COURSE,
QUESTIONS FROM AVERAGE BRITISH
COLUMBIANS.
WE ARE GOING TO BE OBSERVING
SOME STRICT RULES OF ORDER.
THERE ARE TIME SEQUENCES AND WE
ARE USING A CLOCK.
IF THE LEADER GOES OVER THE
ALLOTTED TIME, THEIR MIC WILL BE
CUT.
THERE WILL BE TIME FOR FREE
DEBATE BETWEEN THE LEADERS.
WE HAVE DECIDED ONLY TWO LEADERS
WILL BE ALLOWED TO DEBATE AT A
TIME.
THIS WAS A FORMAT THAT WAS
AGREED TO BY THE POLITICAL
PARTIES AND BY THE MEMBERS OF
THE BROADCAST CONSORTIUM.
SO LET'S GET UNDERWAY.
>>> THE ORDER OF THE EVENING HAS
BEEN PREARRANGED IN A DRAW WITH
ALL THE PARTIES AND OPENING
REMARKS WILL BE ONE MINUTE IN
LENGTH EACH.
GOING FIRST IS THE NDP'S JOHN
HORGAN.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE THE FLOOR.
>> THANK YOU, JENNIFER, AND
THANK YOU TO THOSE VIEWERS WHO
ARE TUNING IN TONIGHT.
>>> IN THIS ELECTION, YOU HAVE A
CLEAR CHOICE.
FOUR MORE YEARS OF THE
GOVERNMENT WORKING FOR THE
PEOPLE AT THE TOP OR A
GOVERNMENT THAT'S WORKING FOR
YOU.
OVER THE PAST NUMBER OF YEARS,
LIFE HAS BEEN GETTING MORE
DIFFICULT.
YOU ARE WORKING HARDER BUT NOT
GETTING AHEAD.
MEDICAL SERVICES PREMIUMS KEEP
GOING UP, HYDRO RATES KEEP GOING
UP, HOUSING COSTS ARE OUT OF
CONTROL.
THE SERVICES THAT YOU COUNT ON
AREN'T THERE FOR YOU WHEN YOU
NEED THEM, AND THE JOBS THAT WE
COUNTED ON ARE DISAPPEARING AND
BEING REPLACED BY LOW-WAGE,
PART-TIME WORK.
I DON'T THINK WE CAN AFFORD FOUR
MORE YEARS OF CHRISTY CLARK AND
HER RICH DONORS CALLING THE
SHOTS.
I BELIEVE THERE'S A BETTER WAY.
WE CAN HAVE A BRITISH COLUMBIA
THAT WORKS FOR EVERYBODY.
I WANT TO SEE AN AFFORDABLE
BRITISH COLUMBIA WHERE SERVICES
THAT YOU COUNT ON ARE THERE FOR
YOU AND AN ECONOMY THAT WORKS
FOR EVERYBODY.
THE PEOPLE AT THE TOP HAVE HAD
THEIR PREMIER.
IT'S TIME YOU HAD ONE THAT WORKS
FOR YOU.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU VERY
MUCH, Mr. HORGAN.
>>> LET'S MOVE ON NOW TO ANDREW
WEAVER FROM THE GREENS.
HE HAS THE NEXT SPOT.
YOU HAVE ONE MINUTE.
>> THANK YOU.
GOOD EVENING AND THANK YOU FOR
JOINING US HERE TONIGHT FOR THE
DEBATE TONIGHT.
YOU KNOW, I'M THRILLED TO BE
GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE
WITH YOU OUR EXCITING VISION OF
A PROSPEROUS FUTURE FOR OUR
BEAUTIFUL PROVINCE.
LIKE THE REST OF OUR EXCEPTIONAL
TEAM, I AM NOT A CAREER
POLITICIAN.
I HAVE COME TO THIS AS A
SCIENTISTS, FOR MOST OF MY LIFE,
I HAVE BEEN AN EDUCATEDOR AND A
SCIENTIST.
JUST FIVE YEARS AGO, I WOULD
NEVER HAVE IMAGINED MYSELF AS A
LEADER OF A POLITICAL PARTY, BUT
AFTER YEARS OF CHALLENGING MY
STUDENTS TO BE MORE ENGAGED IN
OUR DEMOCRATIC INSTITUTIONS, IF
THEY WANTED TO FACILITATE
CHANGE, I REALIZED I NEEDED TO
TAKE MY OWN ADVICE.
AND SO WHEN JAMES DIRK, THE
FORMER LEADER OF THE BC GREENS,
ASKED ME FOR THE FOURTH TIME IF
I WOULD RUN, I SAID YES.
SO SINCE BEING ELECTED I HAVE
TRAVELLED ACROSS BRITISH
COLUMBIA AND WHEREVER I HAVE
GONE, BRITISH COLUMBIANS HAVE
SAID THE SAME THING.
THEY ARE DESPERATE FOR A NEW
VISION FOR THIS PROVINCE AND
THAT THEY CAN VOTE FOR RATHER
THAN BEING TOLD WHAT THEY SHOULD
BE VOTING AGAINST.
TONIGHT I'M EXCITED TO BE GIVEN
THE OPPORTUNITY TO SHARE THE BC
GREEN VISION WITH YOU.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. WEAVER.
>>> LET'S MOVE TO LIBERAL
LEADERICS CHRISTY CLARK.
YOU HAVE 60 SECONDS.
>> THANK YOU.
AND THANK YOU FOR TUNING IN
TONIGHT.
I KNOW HOW BUSY EVERYBODY IS.
AND I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR ALL
THAT YOU DO TO HELP BUILD A
STRONG BRITISH COLUMBIA.
YOU KNOW, DOING WHAT IS RIGHT
ISN'T ALWAYS DOING WHAT'S
POPULAR.
BUT DOING WHAT'S RIGHT IS
WORKING.
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, WE ARE
NUMBER ONE IN ECONOMIC GROWTH,
NUMBER ONE IN JOB CREATION.
OUR HEALTHY OUTCOMES ARE AMONGST
THE BEST IN THE WORLD, AND OUR
STUDENTS SCORE AMONGST THE BEST
IN THE WORLD WHEN IT COMES TO
THEIR TEST RESULTS.
WE ARE CONTROLLING SPENDING AND
THAT MEANS THAT WE CAN INVEST IN
HEALTH CARE, IN HOSPITALS, IN
SCHOOLS, IN ROADS AND
INFRASTRUCTURE WITHOUT GOING
INTO DEFICIT.
WE ARE DOING THIS TOGETHER.
BUT IN THE FACE OF RISING
PROTECTIONISM IN THE
UNITED STATES, THE QUESTION IN
THIS ELECTION IS WHICH LEADER
HAS THE SKILLS TO LEAD US IN THE
TIME OF UNCERTAINTY.
WHICH OF US WILL PROTECT AND
PRESERVE JOBS FOR BRITISH
COLUMBIANS, TO SECURE A STRONG
BC AND A BRIGHT FUTURE?
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
AND THANK YOU ALL FOR STAYING TO
TIME.
WE WANT TO NOW FOCUS ON THREE
MAJOR THEMES TO BEGIN THIS
DEBATE IN EARNEST AND WE ASKED
FOR INPUT FROM THE PEOPLE OF BC
AND RECEIVED AN OVERWHELMING
RESPONSE.
THERE WAS ONE PARTICULAR THEME
THAT EMERGED RIGHT OFF THE TOP.
THAT WAS THE HIGH COST OF
HOUSING IN THIS PROVINCE.
GIVE YOU AN EXAMPLE.
PETER DENT FROM KAMLOOPS WROTE
THAT HIS TWO UNIVERSITY-EDUCATED
KIDS SAY THEY JUST CANNOT AFFORD
TO BUY IN THE LOWER MAINLAND AND
SO THEY ARE LOOKING TO MOVE
SOMEWHERE ELSE IN CANADA.
THIS WAS A THEME ECHOED OVER AND
OVER AND OVER AGAIN, AND LED US
TO CHOOSE HOUSING AFFORDABILITY
AS OUR FIRST TOPIC.
SO THE PARTIES HAVE DRAWN FOR
SPOTS.
AND THE FIRST QUESTION FROM THE
CONSORTIUM GOES TO JOHN HORGAN
OF THE NDP.
Mr. HORGAN, YOUR PARTY HAS BEEN
PREPARING TO BECOME GOVERNMENT
FOR SOME 16 YEARS NOW.
AND AS PART OF YOUR PLAN TO MAKE
HOUSING MORE AFFORDABLE, YOU
HAVE SUGGESTED A $400 REBATE FOR
RENTERS.
NOW, WE DID THE MATH.
THAT WORKS OUT TO ABOUT $33 A
MONTH.
CAN YOU TELL US HOW WILL THAT
MAKE A DIFFERENCE TO HOUSING?
YOU HAVE 90 SECONDS TO RESPOND.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
AND THE HOUSING RENTER REBATE IS
JUST ONE PART OF A MULTIFACETED
PLAN TO MAKE LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE FOR BRITISH
COLUMBIANS.
WE HAVE BEEN RAISING ALARM BELLS
ABOUT THE HIGH COST OF HOUSING
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA FOR THE PAST
THREE YEARS.
AND WHAT WE GOT BACK FROM THE BC
LIBERALS WAS STONED FACES.
NO DESIRE TO TAKE ACTION TO STOP
THE FLOOD OF SPECULATIVE MONEY
COMING INTO THE MARKETPLACE AND
DRIVING UP THE COST OF HOMES
HERE IN METRO VANCOUVER.
AND IN FACT, RIGHT ACROSS
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
THE CONSEQUENCE OF THAT IS THAT
WE HAVE A SEEN $600,000 INCREASE
IN THE COST OF A SINGLE-FAMILY
HOME BETWEEN 2014 AND 2016.
IF YOU CAN'T FIND A PLACE TO
BUY, YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO FIND
A PLACE TO RENT, BUT WE CAN'T DO
THAT EITHER.
15,000 BRITISH COLUMBIANS ARE ON
THE WAIT LIST AT BC HOUSING
LOOKING FOR AFFORDABLE HOUSING.
WE BROUGHT IN THE RENTERS REBATE
TO MATCH THE HOMEOWNER GRANT
WHICH HAS BEEN IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA FOR OVER 50 YEARS NOW.
IF HOMEOWNERS CAN GET A BREAK
FOR OWNING A HOME, WE FEEL THAT
RENTERS DESERVE A BREAK AS WELL.
IT'S $400.
IT CAN GO A LONG WAY TO HELP
PEOPLE PUT A FEW MORE DOLLARS IN
THEIR POCKET WHILE THEY ARE
TRYING TO FIND A PLACE TO LIVE.
WE ALSO WANT TO CLOSE THE
LOOPHOLES OF THE ACT THAT ALLOW
BAD LANDLORDS TO MAKE IT
EXTREMELY DIFFICULT FOR TENANTS
BY MAKING SURE THAT THEY HAVE TO
STICK TO LEASES, THE RENOVICTION
AND DEMOLITION ISSUES OVER THE
LOWER MAINLAND.
THE LEADERS OF THE LIBERALS HAVE
FAILED TO ADDRESS THOSE BIG
ISSUES.
>> Jennifer: CHRISTY CLARK IS
UP NEXT.
YOUR GOVERNMENT DENIED THERE WAS
A PROBLEM WITH THE HOUSING
MARKET FOR A LONG TIME.
WHY DIDN'T YOU INTERVENE SOONER?
>> YOU KNOW, THE THING ABOUT
HOMEOWNERSHIP IS FOR PEOPLE WHO
ALREADY OWN A HOME, YOU HAVE A
LOT OF EQUITY IN THAT HOME.
IT IS YOUR INVESTMENT AND IT'S
SOMETHING YOU WANT TO PROTECT.
SO IT WAS REALLY IMPORTANT THAT
OUR GOVERNMENT MADE SURE WE DID
ALL OF OUR HOMEWORK BEFORE WE
MOVED WITH A 15% TAX ON FOREIGN
BUYERS WHICH HAS HAD EXACTLY THE
EFFECT THAT WE HOPED IT WOULD.
WE MOVED ON A LUXURY TAX FOR
HOMES OVER $2 MILLION, AND NOW
WE ARE HELPING FIRST-TIME HOME
BUYERS, 42,000, WITH A LOAN OF
UP TO $37,500 FOR EACH OF THEM
TO HELP GROUP TOGETHER THAT
ALL-IMPORTANT DOWN PAYMENT.
THE NDP WANT TO SCRAP THAT PLAN
AND WHAT THEY WANT TO DO IS THEY
WANT TO SUPPORT PEOPLE STAYING
IN RENTAL HOMES WITH A DOLLAR A
DAY.
EVEN THE NDP'S CANDIDATES SAY
THAT THAT IS ABSOLUTELY A DROP
IN THE BUCKET.
I THINK MOST OF US WANT OUR KIDS
TO BE ABLE TO OWN THEIR OWN
HOME.
THEY DON'T WANT THE GOVERNMENT,
JOHN HORGAN, AS THEIR LANDLORD.
THEY WANT TO LIVE SOMEWHERE THAT
BELONGS TO THEM.
THAT'S WHY WE STARTED THE HOME
PROGRAM AND THAT'S WHY IT IS SO
IMPORTANT FOR PEOPLE, BECAUSE
FIRST-TIME HOME BUYERS SHOULD
HAVE A CHANCE TO GET INTO THIS
MARKET.
THE FOREIGN TAX HAS HAD THE
IMPACT THAT WE WANTED IT TO
HAVE.
RELIEF ON THE PROPERTY PURCHASE
TAX IS HAVING AN IMPACT AT
HELPING PEOPLE GET INTO THEIR
FIRST HOMES AS WELL.
WE BELIEVE THAT THE DREAM OF
HOMEOWNERSHIP SHOULD STAY WITHIN
THE REACH OF THE MIDDLE CLASS
AND THAT'S WHY WE HAVE MADE THE
CHANGES THAT WE HAVE.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
>>> AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST,
Mr. WEAVER.
WE KNOW THAT THE 15% FOREIGN
BUYERS' TAX INITIALLY DID COOL
THE REAL ESTATE MARKET TO SOME
EXTENT.
YOU ARE NOW PROPOSING DOUBLING
THAT TAX TO 30% AND EXPANDING IT
ACROSS THE PROVINCE AS WELL AS
INCREASING THE PURCHASER'S
PROPERTY TAX.
ARE YOU CONCERNED AT ALL ABOUT
THE IMPACT THIS MAY HAVE ON THE
EQUITY THAT BRITISH COLUMBIANS
HAVE IN THEIR HOMES?
>> NO.
IN FACT, WE RECOGNIZE THAT WHAT
HAS HAPPENED IS THERE HAS BEEN A
SPECULATIVE HOUSING MARKET.
HOUSES SHOULD BE THERE FOR
PEOPLE TO LIVE IN, NOT TO BE
VIEWED AS COMMODITIES TO TRADE
LIKE GOLD OR POTASH.
WHAT WE HAVE RECOGNIZED AS WELL
IS THIS GOVERNMENT HAS LEFT THIS
AS AN ISSUE TO GET OUT OF
CONTROL.
WHEN THE FOREIGN OWNER TAX WAS
BROUGHT IN, IT WAS 15% ONLY FOR
METRO VANCOUVER.
THIS HAS NOT SOLVED THE PROBLEM.
IN FACT, GOVERNMENT RECOGNIZES
THAT THEY ARE EXPECTING
INCREASING REVENUE FROM THE
FOREIGN TAX.
IF THE TAX WAS TO WORK, YOU
WOULD EXPECT THE DECREASING
REVENUE.
BUT THEY ARE BUDGETING
INCREASING REVENUE.
WE BELIEVE THE TAX IS TO ENSURE
THAT PEOPLE IN BRITISH COLUMBIAN
CAN ACTUALLY LIVE HERE AND WE'RE
EXTENDING IT TO 30% ACROSS THE
PROVINCE.
NOT JUST IF YOU OWN A PASSPORT
THAT'S FOREIGN AS THE PREMIER
DID.
WHAT WE BELIEVE IS THAT IF YOU
LIVE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND
PAY -- AND YOU PAY TAXES IN
CANADA, YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO LIVE
AND OWN YOUR OWN PROPERTY.
SO THAT IS OUR APPROACH.
IT ACTUALLY PUTS PRESSURE ON THE
UPSIDE OF THE MARKET.
OUR PROPERTY TRANSFER TAX
CHANGES WOULD ACTUALLY MAKE IT
CHEAPER FOR PEOPLE TO SELL AND
BUY HOMES UNDER A MILLION
DOLLARS.
IT ONLY KICKS IN IN LARGER
AMOUNTS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE
MEGA-MANSIONS.
YOU KNOW, I RAISED THIS IN THE
LEGISLATURE FIRST AND WHILE THE
BC NDP WOULD HAVE SAID THAT THEY
HAVE BEEN RAISING IT FOR THREE
YEARS, THE REALITY IS FOR THAT
TIME, THEY HAVEN'T OFFERED ANY
SOLUTIONS.
THE BC GREENS ARE A
SOLUTIONS-BASED PARTY AND WE
PROPOSE A DIVERSE ARRAY OF
POLICIES THAT WILL MAKE LIFE
AFFORDABLE IN BC.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU FOR YOUR
RESPONSE.
NOW THAT YOU HAVE HEARD THE
PARTIES' POSITIONS, WE WILL GET
INTO THE DEBATE PORTION ON
HOUSING AFFORDABILITY.
LEADERS ARE GOING TO HAVE THE
OPPORTUNITY TO ASK EACH OTHER
QUESTIONS NOW ABOUT THIS FIRST
THEME AND THE RESPONDENTS WILL
HAVE 45 SECONDS UNINTERRUPTED
AND THEN THE TWO LEADERS WILL
DEBATE THAT QUESTION FOR 90
SECONDS.
THE LEADER NOT INVOLVED IN THE
DEBATE WILL NOT PARTICIPATE.
AGAIN, WE'LL REMIND YOU
POSITIONS HAVE BEEN DRAWN, AND
Mr. HORGAN WON THIS PARTICULAR
SEGMENT.
HE WILL LEAD OFF WITH A QUESTION
TO Ms. CLARK ON HOUSING
AFFORDABILITY.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE THE FLOOR.
>> THANK YOU.
Ms. CLARK, YOU SAID YOU WAITED
TO GET THE RIGHT ANSWER.
WHILE YOU WAITED, THE AVERAGE
HOUSING PRICE IN VANCOUVER WENT
UP $600,000, ELIMINATING ANY
PROSPECT OF YOUNG PEOPLE BUYING
A HOME IN THIS PROVINCE.
WHY DID YOU WAIT SO LONG?
WAS IT BECAUSE YOUR RICH
DEVELOPERS WERE MAKING A BUNDLE
OR WAS IT YOU JUST DIDN'T CARE
ABOUT FAMILIES NOT BEING ABLE TO
BUY HOMES IN METRO VANCOUVER?
>> WE CARE ABOUT PEOPLE WHO
ALREADY OWN THEIR HOMES TOO.
WE WANT TO MAKE SURE YOUNG
PEOPLE GET INTO THOSE FIRST
HOMES BUT WE WANT TO MAKE SURE
IF YOU OWN YOUR OWN HOME,
GOVERNMENT WASN'T GOING TO TAKE
SOME INITIATIVE SO DRAMATIC AND
SO HARMFUL THAT IT MEANT YOU
LOST THE EQUITY IN THE HOME THAT
YOU HAVE BUILT.
A 15% FOREIGN TAX ON BUYERS HAS
NEVER BEEN DONE IN NORTH
AMERICA.
WE COLLECTED THE DATA AND WE
MADE SURE WE UNDERSTOOD WHAT WAS
GOING TO HAPPEN, AND GUESS WHAT?
IT WORKED.
IT COOLED THE MARKET.
BUT IT'S NOT ALL WE NEED TO DO.
WE NEED TO SUPPORT FIRST-TIME
HOME BUYERS THROUGH THE HOME
PROGRAM WHICH IS UP TO $37,000
LOAN.
THE NDP WANT TO SCRAP THAT.
THEY WANT TO PAY RENTERS A
DOLLAR A DAY TO STAY IN A RENTAL
ACCOMMODATION.
I THINK PEOPLE WANT TO OWN THE
HOME THAT THEY LIVE IN.
>> Jennifer: YOU --
>> I MET TODAY WITH YOUNG
PROFESSIONALS, FAMILIES THAT
CAN'T AFFORD TO STAY IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA.
THEY ARE LEAVING BC FOR OTHER
JURISDICTIONS BECAUSE HOUSING
PRICES ARE JUST TOO HIGH.
WHEN I TALK TO CEOs OF TECH
COMPANIES THEY SAY THE BIGGEST
CHALLENGE THEY HAVE IN RETAINING
PEOPLE IS THEY CAN'T AFFORD TO
LIVE HERE.
THEY DON'T WANT TO LIVE IN A
BASEMENT APARTMENT, BUT THAT'S
ALL THEY CAN FIND.
YOUR NEGLIGENCE OVER THE PAST
TWO YEARS HAS LED TO A MARKET
THAT IS UNATTAINABLE FOR THE
FAMILIES YOU PROFESS TO
REPRESENT.
AND TO MAKE RENTERS SECOND-CLASS
CITIZENS I THINK IS PRETTY --
WELL, I WOULD CALL IT
PATRONIZING --
>> HOW IS ONE DOLLAR A DAY GOING
TO HELP A TECH WORKER BE ABLE TO
RENT A HOME IN VANCOUVER?
AND HOW IS SCRAPPING THE
FIRST-TIME HOME BUYERS PROGRAM,
42,000 PEOPLE, NO INTEREST, NO
PAYMENT LOAN FOR FIVE YEARS, FOR
37 AND A HALF DOLLARS AT THE TOP
END SO THAT PEOPLE CAN OWN THEIR
OWN HOME?
HOW IS SCRAPPING THAT PROGRAM
GOING TO MAKE IT MORE AFFORDABLE
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA?
>> WHY SHOULD ANYONE BELIEVE YOU
NOW?
JUST BEFORE AN ELECTION, YOU ARE
ALWAYS QUICK WITH A SMILE AND A
PROMISE BUT YOU DON'T DELIVER.
SAME THING WITH HOUSING.
THE MARKET HAS SLOWED BUT THE
AVERAGE PRICE HAS NOT COME DOWN.
I STOOD TODAY WITH FAMILIES IN
FRONT OF A HOME 900 SQUARE-FOOT
HOME, $1.2 MILLION ASSESSMENT.
THAT HAD GONE UP $300,000 OVER
THE PAST 18 MONTHS --
>> HOME LESS AFFORDABLE IS NOT
HAVING -- IS HAVING JOB LOSSES
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
AND HAVING THE HIGHEST
UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN THE COUNTRY
AS WE DID UNDER THE LAST NDP
GOVERNMENT.
>> Jennifer: I'LL STOP YOU BOTH
THERE FOR THAT PORTION OF THE
DEBATE.
THANK YOU.
WE WILL MOVE ON TO ALLOW Ms.
CLARK, WHO HAS A QUESTION FOR
Mr. WEAVER, AND HIS ANSWER WILL
BE UNINTERRUPTED AND THEN THERE
WILL BE TIME FOR A DEBATE
BETWEEN THE TWO OF THEM.
GO AHEAD.
>> THANK YOU.
Dr. WEAVER, YOU ARE ADDING THREE
NEW PUNITIVE TAXES FOR PEOPLE
WHO WANT TO PURCHASE A HOME AT A
TIME WHEN GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE
DOING EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE
THING, AND THAT IS LOWERING
TAXES FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BUY
A HOME.
HOW DOES THAT MAKE LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE FOR PEOPLE?
>> WELL, THANK YOU FOR THE
QUESTION.
IN ACTUAL FACT FOR MOST PEOPLE,
THE PROPERTY TRANSFER TAX THAT
WE ARE CHANGING WOULD ACTUALLY
DECREASE THE COST OF BUYING AND
SELLING A HOME.
WHAT WE BELIEVE IS THAT IN OUR
SOCIETY, TAXES SHOULD BE
PROGRESSIVE RATHER THAN
REGRESSIVE.
WE BELIEVE THOSE WHO HAVE THE
ABILITY TO PAY SHOULD PAY A
LITTLE BIT MORE THAN THOSE WHO
DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO PAY.
ONE OF THE THINGS WE'LL CHANGE,
FOR EXAMPLE, IS THE HOMEOWNER
GRANT.
YOU KNOW, SOMEBODY LIVING IN A
MANSION DOES NOT NEED THE
HOMEOWNER GRANT TO THE SAME
EXTENT AS SOMEBODY WHO IS
EARNING -- SORRY, SOMEBODY
LIVING IN A MANSION EARNING A
LOT OF MONEY DOESN'T NEED IT TO
THE EXTENT SOMEONE STRUGGLING TO
GET INTO THEIR FIRST HOME.
THEY NEED A LITTLE BIT MORE.
OUR APPROACH IS TO INCENTIVIZE
THROUGH A PROGRESSIVE TAXATION,
THE BUYING OF SELLING HOMES AT
THE LOWER END AND CLAMPS AT THE
UPPER END, PARTICULARLY SO
BRITISH COLUMBIANS CAN LIVE IN
THEIR OWN PROVINCE.
>> WHAT YOU ARE INTRODUCING, I
MEAN, FOR VIEWERS WHO MAY BE
TUNING IN FOR THE FIRST TIME TO
THE ELECTION, ARE THREE NEW
TAXES.
A LIFETIME CAPITAL GAINS TAX, AN
ADDITIONAL SURTAX ON TOP OF
EXISTING PROPERTY TAXES THAT
WOULD GO TO THE PROVINCIAL
GOVERNMENT, NOT TO YOUR LOCAL
GOVERNMENT, AND A PROPERTY
TRANSFER TAX.
AND I ALWAYS THINK THAT THERE
IS -- YOU KNOW, POLITICIANS CAN
ALWAYS COME UP WITH NEW WAYS TO
GET YOUR TAXES AND SPEND MORE --
>> THAT'S IN ACTUAL FACT, Ms.
CLARK, WHAT WE ARE ADDRESSING IS
THE ISSUE YOU HAVE FAILED TO
ADDRESS FOR THE LAST NUMBER OF
YEARS.
WE'RE ADDRESSING SPECULATION.
WHAT WE'RE ADDRESSING IS PEOPLE
WHO FLIP HOMES.
THEY LIVE IN A HOME FOR SIX
MONTHS, THEY MOVE TO A NEW HOME.
AND THEY ARE USING MOVING TO
HOMES AS A MEANS OF TRADING A
COMMODITY.
OUR LIFETIME CAPITAL GAINS TAX
DOES NOT APPLY TO SOMEBODY
LIVING IN PLACE.
IT DOES NOT APPLY TO SOMEONE
LIVING IN A HOUSE FOR THREE OR
FOUR YEARS.
IT ONLY APPLIES TO PEOPLE WHO
ARE FLIPPING HOMES.
THE OTHER -- THE FOREIGN BUYERS
TAX IS TO ENSURE THAT BRITISH
COLUMBIANS COULD ACTUALLY LIVE
IN OUR PROVINCE.
>> BUT DOCTOR WEAVER, I MEAN,
I'M GOING TO ASK THE SAME
QUESTION OF Mr. HORGAN, WHICH IS
BOTH OF YOU ARE DETERMINED, IN
YOUR PLANS, TO KILL JOBS IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
HOW DOES THAT MAKE IT MORE --
>> WHAT WE'RE PROPOSING TO DO IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA IS TO ENSURE
THAT LIFE IS AFFORDABLE FOR
BRITISH COLUMBIANS, THAT BRITISH
COLUMBIANS CAN ACTUALLY LIVE IN
THEIR HOMES.
WE BELIEVE THAT IT'S TIME TO PUT
PEOPLE FIRST, NOT YOUR CORPORATE
DONORS.
NOT YOUR UNION DONORS.
BUT PEOPLE FIRST IN THE PROVINCE
OF BRITISH COLUMBIA AND THAT IS
THE FOUNDATION OF THE BC GREEN
POLICIES.
>> Jennifer: AND THAT IS TIME.
Mr. WEAVER, MAY I CLARIFY FOR MY
OWN PURPOSES.
IS IT Dr. WEAVER --
>> I DON'T MIND, DOCTOR OR
Mr. OR ANDREW.
>> OR DOCTOR Mr.
>> I STICK WITH THE FORMTIES.
WHICH DO YOU PREFER?
>> I HONESTLY DON'T MIND.
>> Jennifer: Mr. WEAVER IS IN
THE SCRIPT.
SO I'LL STICK WITH THAT.
IT IS YOUR TURN TO ASK THE
QUESTION AND YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO
ADDRESS Ms. CLARK.
THE CLOCK HAS BEEN RESET.
PLEASE GO AHEAD.
>> THANK YOU.
THE HOUSING CRISIS IN BC HAS
BEEN GETTING WORSE FOR YEARS.
YET YOU HAVE BARELY DONE
ANYTHING TO ADDRESS IT.
WHY ARE YOUR LIMITED MEASURES
ONLY FOCUSSED ON VANCOUVER WHEN
PEOPLE ACROSS THIS PROVINCE ARE
STRUGGLING WITH THE COSTS OF
HOUSING?
>> WELL, IT'S FOCUSSED ALL OVER
METRO VANCOUVER.
SO, YOU KNOW, ALL THE WAY FROM
THE LANGLEY BORDER TO -- TO THE
COAST.
AND IT'S A 15% TAX ON FOREIGN
BUYERS.
FIRST PLACE IT'S BEEN DONE
ANYWHERE IN NORTH AMERICA, AND
IT HAS WORKED EXACTLY AS WE
EXPECTED.
TORONTO IS NOW COPYING WHAT
WE'RE DOING HERE AND SLOWED DOWN
THE RATE OF GROWTH IN THE PRICE
OF HOUSING.
WE KNOW WE NEED TO DO MORE OF
THAT BECAUSE WE WANT TO KEEP
HOMES AND HOMEOWNERSHIP WITHIN
THE REACH OF THE MIDDLE CLASS.
I DON'T THINK ADDING THREE NEW
TAXES INCLUDING A SURTAX ON TOP
OF PROPERTY TAXES IS A WAY TO
MAKE LIFE MORE AFFORDABLE.
THE PLAN TO SCRAP THE HOME
PROGRAM IS GOING TO HELP EITHER.
ALL OF THE CHANGES THAT WE HAVE
MADE IS KEEPING IT AFFORDABLE
FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS.
>> AGAIN, Ms. CLARK, YOU HAVE
ACTUALLY MISSED THE POINT OF
ACTUALLY DEALING WITH THE
HOUSING CRISIS.
YOU HAVE NOT ADDRESSED
SPECULATION.
IN THE LEGISLATURE, I RAISED THE
FOREIGN TAX YEARS AGO, WHEN
TALKING ABOUT OTHER
JURISDICTIONS.
FINALLY, YEARS LATER, YOU
INTRODUCE IT.
IN THE LEGISLATURE, I TALKED
ABOUT SPECULATIVE LOOPHOLES,
SO-CALLED BEAR TRUST LOOPHOLE.
WHEN I RAISED IT IN THE
LEGISLATURE, YOUR MINISTER OF
FINANCE SAID TO ME, WE WON'T DO
IT BECAUSE OF THE UNFORESEEN
CONSEQUENCES.
SURE THERE WERE.
A HOUSING MARKET THAT HAS GOT
OUT OF CONTROL.
Ms. CLARK, THE US HOKING CRISIS
EXISTS IN VICTORIA -- HOUSING --
IN KELOWNA, IN KAMLOOPS.
IT'S NOT JUST HERE IN METRO
VANCOUVER.
WHY HAVE YOU LEFT THE REST OF
THE PUBLIC UNDER THE BUS --
THROWN THEM UNDER THE BUS.
>> Dr. WEAVER, WE HAVE
INTRODUCED THE HOME PROGRAM,
WHICH IS A LOAN --
INTEREST-FREE, NO PAYMENT LOAN
FOR FIRST-TIME HOME BUYERS, THE
LUXURY TAX ON HOMES OVER $2
MILLION.
BUT, YOU KNOW, Dr. WEAVER, YOUR
PLAN TO ADD A SURTAX ON TOP OF
PROPERTY TAXES IS NOT GOING TO
MAKE LIFE MORE AFFORDABLE FOR
PEOPLE.
NEITHER IS Mr. HORGAN'S PLAN FOR
A DOLLAR A DAY TO MAKE SURE
PEOPLE CAN CONTINUE TO RENT AND
NEVER OWN THE ROOF OVER THEIR
OWN HEADS --
>> CLEARLY -- WELL, CLEARLY YOUR
PLAN HAS NOT WORKED BECAUSE
WE'RE IN THE CRISIS WE'RE IN
PRECISELY BECAUSE YOUR PLAN HAS
NOT WORKED.
HAD THE BC LIBERALS HAD A PLAN,
LISTENED TO THE BC GREENS IN THE
LEGISLATURE, WE WOULDN'T BE IN
THIS SITUATION TODAY.
BUT WE DIDN'T.
THIS PROBLEM HAS GOT AWAY FROM
ITSELF.
YOU HAVE TAKEN TOO LONG TO
ACTUALLY DEAL WITH IT AND NOW
YOU ARE DOING STOP-GAP METHODS
SLOWLY IN METRO VANCOUVER.
>> Jennifer: THUCHLT WE'LL WRAP
UP THIS PORTION OF THE DEBATE.
TIME FOR THE NEXT THEME HCHLT
WHETHER IT IS JOBS, INVESTMENTS,
AND GROWTH, OR DEBTS, THE
ECONOMY IS TOP OF MIND.
WE SAW THIS JUST YESTERDAY AS
THE SOFTWOOD LUMBER DISPUTE WITH
THE U.S. REARED ITS HEAD AGAIN
AND THAT'S A TOPIC WE MAY HEAR
MORE ABOUT FROM THE LEADERS
TONIGHT.
>>> FOR NOW, THE FIRST QUESTION
ON THE ECONOMY BY DRAW GOES TO
LIBERAL LEADER CHRISTY CLARK.
Ms. CLARK, IN THE LAST ELECTION,
YOU RAN ON A FAMILIES FIRST
AGENDA.
IN THE LAST FOUR YEARS, HOWEVER,
BC HYDRO RATES HAVE GONE UP,
MEDICAL SERVICES PREMIUMS HAVE
SOARED AND ICBC RATES HAVE ALSO
CLIMBED.
CAN YOU TELL BRITISH COLUMBIANS
HOW THIS IS PUTTING FAMILIES
FIRST AND HELPING THEM?
>> YEAH, THANK YOU FOR THE
QUESTION, JENNIFER.
MSP RATES FOR MOST PEOPLE ARE
NOW DOWN BACK AT 1993 LEVELS AND
WE'RE MAKING SURE LIFE IS MORE
AFFORDABLE FOR PEOPLE THROUGH
THE BILLION-DOLLAR TAX CUT, ON
THE WAY TO MAKE SURE THAT WE
ELIMINATE IT ALTOGETHER AS THE
ECONOMY GROWS.
MAKING LIFE MORE AFFORDABLE FOR
PEOPLE WHO USE THE PORT MANN
BRIDGE REGULARLY BY ABOUT
$1,100, GIVING RELIEF ON TOLLS
AND ALSO A SIMILAR PROGRAM FOR
$250 WORTH OF RELIEF FOR PEOPLE
WHO ARE USING THE FERRIES.
BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA, TAKE-HOME PAY HAS
INCREASED BY $8,500.
MOST -- MOSTLY BECAUSE WE HAVE
THE LOWEST MIDDLE-CLASS TAXES
ANYWHERE IN CANADA, AND YOU CAN
TRUST THAT WITH THE LAST TIME
THE NDP WAS IN POWER AT $8,500 A
YEAR GROWTH, TO A $400 LOSS IN
TAKE-HOME PAY IN THE DECADE THAT
JOHN HORGAN AND THE NDP WERE IN
POWER.
THE WAY TO KEEP LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE -- AND YOU ARE GOING
TO HEAR A LOT OF TALK ABOUT
TAXES TONIGHT -- IS NOT TO
DOUBLE THE CARBON TAX, WHICH
BOTH JOHN HORGAN AND Dr. WEAVER
ARE PROPOSING.
IT'S NOT TO ADD SURTAXES AND
MORE TAXES FOR HOMEOWNERS.
IT'S NOT TO ROLL MSP INTO TAXES
AND CALL IT BY ANOTHER NAME.
IT'S TO ELIMINATE TAXES, TO MAKE
GOVERNMENT SMALLER AND PUT MORE
MONEY IN YOUR WALLET, BECAUSE I
THINK YOU CAN SPEND IT BETTER
THAN GOVERNMENT CAN.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
AND OUR NEXT QUESTION ON THE
ECONOMY GOES TO THE LEADER OF
THE GREENS.
Mr. WEAVER, YOU HAVE MADE A
NUMBER OF EXPENSIVE PROMISES
INCLUDING FREE DAYCARE FOR
CHILDREN UNDER 3 AND EXPANSION
OF EDUCATION AS WELL.
ON MONDAY YOU RELEASED THE COST
OF YOUR PLATFORM.
THERE'S $146 MILLION DEFICIT IN
THE FIRST YEAR ALONE.
OUR QUESTION TO YOU IS HOW DO
YOU PLAN TO PAY FOR THOSE
PROMISES AND CAN BRITISH
COLUMBIA AFFORD A GREEN PARTY
GOVERNMENT?
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
IN OUR FULLY COSTED PLAN WE HAVE
ARTICULATED THE VISION OVER THE
NEXT FOUR YEARS, A VISION TO
STIMULATE THE NEW ECONOMY, A
VISION TO MOVE US TO THE 21ST
CENTURY.
OUR PLAN IS BUDGETED TO BE
BALANCED OVER THE COURSE OF THE
FOUR-YEAR TERM THAT WE'RE
SEEKING.
THERE'S NOTHING SPECIAL ABOUT
MARCH THE 31ST IN ANY GIVEN
YEAR, WHEN GOVERNMENT SPENDING
RUNS AMOK AS MINISTRIES TRY TO
GET THE MONEY OUT THE DOOR SO
THEY CAN START AFRESH ON APRIL
1ST.
WE BELIEVE THAT THAT'S
IRRESPONSIBLE GOVERNANCE AND
WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING IS
THINKING ABOUT BUDGETING ON THE
TERM OF YOUR OFFICE.
OUR PLAN IS TO ACTUALLY ASK
PEOPLE WHO CAN PAY A LITTLE BIT
MORE TO DO SO PROVIDED WE'RE
TELLING THEM WHERE THE MONEY
WOULD GO.
OUR PLAN IS ALSO TO ASK
CORPORATIONS TO PAY A LITTLE BIT
MORE, AND WE'RE TELLING THEM
WHERE THE MONEY IS GOING TO GO.
YOU KNOW, WE ARE MAKING PUBLIC
EDUCATION OUR SINGLE MOST
IMPORTANT PRIORITY.
I STOOD ON THE LEGISLATURE TWO
AND A HALF YEARS AGO AND SAID,
WE WOULD MAKE PUBLIC EDUCATION
OUR TOP PRIORITY, AND WE HAVE
DELIVERED.
OVER $4 BILLION INVESTED IN
PUBLIC EDUCATION.
BUT IT'S A QUESTION OF
PRIORITIES.
THE PREMIER'S PRIORITIES
SUPPORTED BY THE LEADER OF THE
OPPOSITION ARE LNG.
THAT'S WHY THEIR PLAN IS SO
SUBSIDIZE WOOD-FIBRE LNG, FOR
EXAMPLE, AND THE 100 UNION JOBS
THERE, TO THE TUNE OF $440,000 A
YEAR PER JOB.
THAT IS RECKLESS ECONOMICS.
OUR PRIORITIES ARE PEOPLE AND
CHILDREN.
WE BELIEVE THAT THE CITIZENSHIP
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA SHARE OUR
PRIORITIES, THAT WE NEED TO PUT
PEOPLE FIRST RATHER THAN THE
VESTED INTERESTS OF OUR
CORPORATE DONORS ON THE LEFT AND
THE BIG UNION DONORS ON MY
RIGHT.
THANK YOU.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. WEAVER.
>>> OUR LAST QUESTION ABOUT THE
ECONOMY FROM THE CONSORTIUM GOES
TO THE NDP LEADER.
AND Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE
COMMITTED TO RAISING TAXES FOR
THOSE MAKING MORE THAN $150,000
AS WELL AS INCREASING CORPORATE
TAXES.
IN OTHER WORDS, ARE YOU
PROMISING TO NOT RAISE ANY OTHER
TAXES FOR FOUR YEARS IF YOU ARE
ELECTED?
>> WE TABLED A FULLY-COSTED
THREE-YEAR FISCAL PLAN BASED ON
THE NUMBERS THAT WERE PROVIDED
BY THE MINISTRY OF FINANCE IN
THE LEGISLATURE IN FEBRUARY.
WE PLAN TO ROLL BACK THE
MILLIONAIRE TAX BREAK THAT
CHRISTY CLARK AND THE BC
LIBERALS GAVE THE WEALTHIEST
PEOPLE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, A
BILLION DOLLARS OVER THE TERM IN
GOVERNMENT, AND GIVE SOME RELIEF
TO THOSE PEOPLE WHO ARE PAYING
ABOUT A THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE A
YEAR AS A RESULT OF THE CHOICES
THAT THE BC LIBERALS MADE.
ICBC RATES, HYDRO RATES, FERRY
FARES, TUITION FEES.
WHEREVER YOU LOOK, WHEREVER
GOVERNMENT COULD PUT THEIR HAND
IN YOUR POCKET, THE BC LIBERALS
HAVE DONE THAT.
WE BELIEVE THAT A MODEST
INCREASE IN OUR CORPORATE INCOME
TAX BY 1%, WHICH WOULD MATCH
ALBERTA, SASKATCHEWAN, AND
MANITOBA IS REASONABLE.
AND I BELIEVE THAT OUR PLAN WILL
WORK TO PUT MONEY BACK IN
PEOPLE'S POCKETS AND KEEP THE
ECONOMY GOING.
THE BC LIBERALS ON THE OTHER
HAND WANT TO KEEP GIVING TO THE
PEOPLE THAT GIVE TO THEM.
THEIR BIG DONORS GET BREAKS
WHILE THE REST OF US PAY THE
PRICE.
I THINK THAT'S WRONG AND I THINK
BRITISH COLUMBIANS THINK THAT'S
WRONG AS WELL.
FOR ME, THIS ELECTION IS ABOUT
GIVING PEOPLE AN OPPORTUNITY TO
LIVE IN THEIR OWN PROVINCE, WHO
WANT TO MAKE LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE.
WE WANT TO MAKE SURE THE
SERVICES THAT PEOPLE COUNT ON
ARE THERE FOR THEM WHEN THEY
NEED IT IN AN ECONOMY THAT WORKS
FOR EVERYBODY.
THAT'S NOT THE BC LIBERAL WAY.
THEY TAKE ALL OF THEIR ENERGY
AND PUT IT INTO THEIR BIG DONORS
AND LEAVE THE REST OF US BLOWING
IN THE WIND.
I THINK THE TIME FOR THAT IS
OVER.
I THINK IN THE DAYS AHEAD, AS
THIS ELECTION RUNS DOWN, THE
LIBERALS WILL HAVE HAD THEIR DAY
AND IT'LL BE TIME FOR THE BC NDP
TO TAKE POWER AND BUILD A BETTER
BC.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. HORGAN.
THAT BRINGS US TO LEADER DEBATE
ON THE ECONOMY NOW, AND YOU HAVE
HEARD EACH LEADER RAISE PLANKS
IN EACH OF THEIR ECONOMIC
PLATFORMS.
NOW MIGHT BE A CHANCE FOR THEM
TO HAMMER SOME OF THEM DOWN.
THE FIRST LEADER UP IS CHRISTY
CLARK.
OPTED TO USE HER FIRST QUESTION
TO ASK JOHN HORGAN OF THE NDP.
GO AHEAD, Ms. CLARK.
>> THANK YOU.
Mr. HORGAN HAS FINALLY DEVELOPED
AN INTEREST IN THE SOFTWOOD
LUMBER AGREEMENT NOW WE ARE ON
THE EVE OP AN ELECTION.
SINCE BECOMING THE NDP LEADER
THREE YEARS AGO, HE DIDN'T RAISE
SOFTWOOD LUMBER EVEN ONCE IN
THREE YEARS IN QUESTION PERIOD.
WHY IS THAT, Mr. HORGAN?
>> WELL, Ms. CLARK, IF YOU CAME
TO QUESTION PERIOD MORE OFTEN,
MAYBE I WOULD HAVE HAD THE
OPPORTUNITY TO DO THAT.
BUT IT'S A BIT RICH FOR SOMEONE
WHO HAS BEEN ABSENT FROM THE
SOFTWOOD LUMBER DEBATE FOR TWO
AND A HALF YEARS TO NOW, 13 DAYS
BEFORE AN ELECTION, TO SOMEHOW
SAY SHE CARES ABOUT FOREST
WORKERS.
THERE ARE 30,000 FEWER FOREST
WORKERS WORKING IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA TODAY THAN THERE WERE
WHEN THE BC LIBERALS CAME TO
POWER.
150 MILLS HAVE CLOSED ON THE BC
LIBERAL WATCH, AND NOW CHRISTY
CLARK EXPECTS YOU TO BELIEVE HER
THAT SHE CARES ABOUT THE JOBS
THAT ARE AT RISK WHILE SHE WAS
CHASING LNG AND NOT FOCUSSING ON
OUR FOUNDATIONAL FOREST
INDUSTRY, THE CONSEQUENCES COULD
BE DIRE FOR FOREST COMMUNITIES
AND CERTAINLY DIRE FOR FOREST
WORKERS.
MY COMMITMENT IS TO WORK EVERY
SINGLE DAY SO WE CAN GET A DEAL
DONE IN THE INTERESTS OF OUR
FOREST SECTOR AND THE PEOPLE WHO
WORK IN IT.
>> Mr. HORGAN, I MEAN, I THINK
WE ALL UNDERSTAND WHY YOU
HAVEN'T DEMONSTRATED MUCH
INTEREST IN SOFTWOOD LUMBER SO
FAR.
THREE OF YOUR CAMPAIGN OFFICIALS
ARE BEING PAID FROM PITTSBURGH
FROM THE STEELWORKERS UNION.
YOU HAVE TAKEN THE BIGGEST
POLITICAL DONATION IN BC HISTORY
FROM THE GUYS DOWN IN
PITTSBURGH.
THE SAME PEOPLE THAT STOOD
BESIDE DONALD TRUMP WHEN HE
CALLED OUR BC FOREST WORKERS A
DISGRACE.
I THINK WE ARE FINALLY BEGINNING
TO UNDERSTAND WHY YOU NEVER EVEN
RAISED IT IN THE LEGISLATURE,
NEVER ASKED ABOUT IT --
>> WE HAVE RAISED FORESTRY
ISSUES FOR THE PAST FOUR
YEARS --
>> YOU HAVEN'T, Mr. HORGAN --
>> YOU HAVE BEEN SENDING RAW
LOGS OUT OF BRITISH COLUMBIA --
>> YOU HAVE NOT TALKED ABOUT THE
SOFTWOOD LUMBER --
>> THOSE ARE JOBS LEAVING
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
YOU DID NOT GO TO WASHINGTON TO
TALK TO TRUMP ADMINISTRATION.
RACHEL NOTLEY DID.
YOU DID NOT GO TO WASHINGTON TO
DEFEND OUR INTERESTS.
BRAD WALL WENT TO DEFEND THE
INTERESTS OF SASKATCHEWAN.
YOU HAVE BEEN ABSENT ON THE
FILE, Ms. CLARK.
THE DEAL EXPIRED TWO YEARS AGO.
TWO YEARS AGO.
AND NOW, TWO WEEKS BEFORE AN
ELECTION, YOU WANT WORKERS IN --
>> I ASKED YOU A QUESTION.
>> -- THAT YOU CARE ABOUT THIS
QUESTION.
YOU DON'T.
YOU DON'T.
>> I DID ASK YOU A QUESTION,
WHICH IS WHY YOU RAISED IT IN
THE LEGISLATURE --
>> YOU ARE NEVER THERE.
>> YOU CAN ONLY ASK A QUESTION
IF I'M THERE -- YOU CAN ASK A
QUESTION ANY DAY YOU ARE
THERE --
>> I INVITE YOU TO LOOK UP
HANSARD.
I KNOW YOU WOULD RATHER WATCH
THE HOCKEY GAME.
GO AND LOOK.
THE NUMBER OF TIME WE HAVE
RAISED FORESTRY IN THE --
>> HOW OFTEN HAVE YOU RAISED
IT -- I HAVE GONE AND LOOKED --
>> I BET YOU HAVE.
>> YOU HAVEN'T RAISED IT IN
QUESTION PERIOD EVEN ONCE.
AND I THINK IT'S A LITTLE BIT --
[ Speaking Simultaneously ].
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU FOR THAT
PORTION OF THE DEBATE.
THANK YOU FOR THAT PORTION OF
THE DEBATE.
Mr. WEAVER IS UP NEXT.
HE HAS A QUESTION FOR Ms. CLARK
ON THE ECONOMY, AND YOU WILL
HAVE SOME TIME TO HAVE THAT
QUESTION AND THEN A RESPONSE AND
DEBATE BETWEEN THE TWO OF YOU.
>> THANK YOU.
Ms. CLARK, PRIOR TO THE LAST
ELECTION, YOU PROMISED A HUNDRED
THOUSAND JOBS.
$100 BILLION PROSPERITY FUND.
A UNICORN IN EACH OF OUR YARDS
FROM LNG, YET YOU FAILED TO
DELIVER.
WHY SHOULD BRITISH COLUMBIANS
TRUST YOU TO DELIVER THIS TIME?
>> WELL, I THINK MOST BRITISH
COLUMBIANS WILL KNOW THAT OIL
AND GAS HASN'T BEEN A GREAT
GROWTH IN THE MARKET RECENTLY.
ALBERTA HAS GOT ITS PROBLEMS
BECAUSE OF IT.
AND OUR LNG PLAN HAS GONE SLOWER
THAN WE WANTED BECAUSE OF MARKET
CONDITIONS.
I THINK PEOPLE UNDERSTAND THAT.
BUT I DON'T THINK PEOPLE WANT US
TO GIVE UP.
I DON'T THINK PEOPLE WANT US TO
WAVE THE WHITE FLAG, AND Dr.
WEAVER, BOTH YOU AND Mr. HORGAN
HAVE OPPOSED PACIFIC NORTHWEST
AND THE MAJOR LNG PROJECTS EVERY
SINGLE STEP OF THE WAY.
I AM GOING TO KEEP AT IT BECAUSE
I AM DETERMINED TO BUILD THAT
PROSPERITY FUND FOR OUR KIDS,
AND I AM DETERMINED TO CREATE
THOSE JOBS FOR WORKING PEOPLE
ALL ACROSS THE PROVINCE.
THERE IS ONLY ONE PARTY THAT HAS
A PLAN TO CUT TAXES, CREATE JOBS
AND CONTROL GOVERNMENT SPENDING,
AND THAT, Dr. WEAVER, IS THE
PARTY THAT I REPRESENT, THE BC
LIBERALS.
>> Ms. CLARK, YOU HAVE NO
CREDIBILITY ON THIS FILE.
THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS YOU
EITHER INTENTIONALLY MISLEAD OR
JUST SIMPLY DIDN'T UNDERSTAND
SIMPLE SUPPLY-DEMAND ECONOMICS
OR YOU DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE NEW
ECONOMY.
AS I STOOD IN THE LEGISLATURE,
FOR YEARS, POINTING OUT THAT
THIS WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN I
RECOGNIZE THAT IT'S A BIT RICH
FOR Mr. HORGAN TO CRITICIZE YOU
ON LNG BECAUSE THEY WERE RIGHT
BEHIND YOU, RIGHT BEHIND YOU
CHEERLEADING THE WAY.
AS I STOOD THERE POINTING OUT
THAT THE ECONOMICS DOESN'T WORK.
PEOPLE HAVE BUILT HOTELS IN
TERRACE IN ANTICIPATION, PEOPLE
HAVE RENOVATED HOMES IN KITIMAT
IN ANTICIPATION.
YOU HAVE MISLED THEM.
>> NO, NO, Dr. WEAVER.
WE ARE NOT GOING TO ALLOW YOU
AND THE NDP TO PUT AN END TO
LNG.
AS THE MARKET IMPROVES, THESE
PROJECTS WILL GO AHEAD FOR
BRITISH COLUMBIANS.
BUT BOTH OF YOU WANT TO WAVE THE
WHITE FLAG AND END THOSE JOBS
AND HOPES AND DREAMS OF ALL
THOSE PEOPLE WHO WOULD LIKE TO
HAVE A REGULAR PAYCHEQUE TO LOOK
AFTER THE PEOPLE THAT THEY
LOVE --
>> I'M NOT SURE WHAT JOBS YOU
ARE TALKING ABOUT, Ms. CLARK,
BECAUSE THERE ARE NO JOBS.
IN FACT, SO DESPERATE IS YOUR
GOVERNMENT TO LAND A SINGLE LNG
PROJECT, SO DESPERATE, THAT YOU
ARE BUILDING THE SITE C DAM FOR
A MARKET THAT DOESN'T EXIST, AT
15 CENTS --
>> DELIVER CLEAN ENERGY FOR OUR
KIDS, Dr. WEAVER.
>> THOSE PLANTS WHO MIGHT CHOOSE
TO COME HERE FOR --
>> WE WANT TO DELIVER CLEAN
ENERGY FOR OUR KIDS.
>> YOU ARE SUBSIDIZING.
>> WE WANT TO MAKE SURE --
>> TO THE TUNE OF $440,000 PER
PERSON, PER YEAR ON THE BACK OF
TAXPAYERS.
>> WE WANT TO CREATE --
>> OUR PRIORITY IS PEOPLE.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU FOR THAT
DEBATE.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU ARE UP NEXT, AND
Mr. HORGAN HAS CHOSEN TO ASK
Mr. WEAVER A QUESTION ABOUT THE
ECONOMY IN THIS LEADER TO LEADER
DEBATE.
GO AHEAD.
>> THANK YOU.
Mr. WEAVER, YOU AND YOUR
SUPPORTERS SUPPORTED TWO BUDGETS
TABLED IN THE BC LEGISLATURE
THAT CUT SERVICES FOR KIDS AND
EDUCATION, AND SENIORS AND CUT
SERVICES IN HEALTH CARE.
WHY WOULD YOUR SUPPORTERS WANT
TO SUPPORT A PARTY THAT THINKS
THAT IT'S OKAY TO BALANCE THE
BUDGET ON THE BACKS OF THE
VULNERABLE, THE WEAK AND THOSE
WHO NEED HELP?
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION,
Mr. HORGAN.
UNLIKE YOUR PARTY, I ACTUALLY
THINK ABOUT WHAT I'M GOING TO
VOTE FOR AND I SAY REASONS WHY I
VOTE FOR IT.
IN ANY DECISION, IT'S ABOUT GIVE
AND TAKE AND IN MY CASE, I HAVE
DOCUMENTED WHY.
WHAT IS A BIT RICH, ACTUALLY,
FOR YOU TO HAVE THE AUDACITY TO
CRITICIZING MY VOTING RECORD
WHEN I SAT IN THE LEGISLATURE
FOR FOUR YEARS AND WATCHED YOUR
M.P. VOTE ON EVERY ISSUE
COLLECTIVELY.
STAND UP AND VOTING FOR
INCREASING THERMAL COAL
EXPANSIONS OUT OF VANCOUVER,
AGAINST WHAT THEY BELIEVE, TO
SEE NICK SIMONS NOT SHOWING THE
ROOM BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T BEAR
TO STAND UP AND VOTE.
TO SEE THEM VOTE FOR THE LNG
INCOME TAX ACT.
IT IS A BIT RICH FOR YOU TO HAVE
THE AUDACITY TO CRITICIZE MY
VOTING RECORD WHICH IS
TRANSPARENT AND BASED ON
EVIDENCE.
>> Mr. WEAVER, WHAT BRITISH
COLUMBIANS HAVE BEEN TIRED OF
OVER THE PAST 16 YEARS IS A BC
LIBERAL GOVERNMENT THAT DOESN'T
PUT THEM FIRST.
AND WHEN YOUR SUPPORTERS SEE
THAT YOU HAVE SUPPORTED THAT
INITIATIVE, THOSE BUDGETS THAT
CUT CLASSROOMS, THAT CUT
RESOURCES TO EMERGENCY ROOMS,
AND CUT SERVICES FOR PEOPLE,
THEY HAVE TO ASK THEMSELVES, ARE
THE GREENS REALLY IN THIS TO WIN
THIS, OR THEY IN THIS --
>> Mr. HORGAN --
>> EVERYONE I TALK TO WANTS THE
BC LIBERALS GONE --
>> Mr. HORGAN, I PROMISE TO DO
POLITICS DIFFERENTLY.
I RECOGNIZE AS A CAREER
POLITICIAN, YOU KNOW NOTHING BUT
SAYING NO AND BEING ANTAGONISTIC
TO THE BC LIBERALS.
WE NEED BETTER GOVERNANCE IN
BC --
>> I'M AN TIG ANALYSISIC TO A
GOVERNMENT THAT DOESN'T PUT
PEOPLE AT THE CENTRE OF THEIR
POLICIES.
THE BC LIBERALS HAVE BEEN IN
THIS FOR THE WEALTHY DONORS AND
NOT THE PEOPLE OF BC.
>> CLEARLY THAT'S NOT THE CASE
BECAUSE YOUR DECISIONS ARE
PUTTING YOUR BIG LABOUR
INTERESTS --
>> NOT AT ALL.
NOT AT ALL.
WE HAVE FOCUSSED EVERY DAY ON
MAKING LIFE BETTER FOR BRITISH
COLUMBIANS.
WE HAVE MADE THREE COMMITMENTS
IN THIS ELECTION CAMPAIGN TO
MAKE LIFE MORE AFFORDABLE --
>> UNCOSTED COMMITMENTS THAT ARE
IRRESPONSIBLE AND WILL --
>> FULLED COSTED --
>> TWO ECONOMISTS COMING OUT
CRITICIZING IT.
WE HAD TWO --
>> HIRED TWOISTS --
>> THE LIBERALS HIRED TWO
ECONOMISTS.
>> NOT SENSIBLE.
WHEREAS YOUR PLAN IS JUST SIMPLY
LA-LA LAND PLAN.
>> MY GOODNESS.
>> MONEY GROSS ON TREES.
ARE YOU GOING TO LOSE YOUR
TEMPER ON ME NOW, BECAUSE YOU
DID IT LAST WEEK.
>> COME ON.
>> THIS IS THE PROBLEM --
>> LISTEN TO ME, ANDREW, YOU
LOOK LIKE THE REST OF THE
POLITICIANS.
PEOPLE IN THE CENTRE OF OUR
POLITICS.
>> WITHOUT EVER OFFER A
SOLUTION.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU.
NOW THAT BRINGS US TO QUESTIONS
FROM THE CONSORTIUM REGARDING
LEADERSHIP.
HOW MUCH OF A FACTOR IS
PERSONALITY OVER POLICY WHEN IT
COMES TO BEING PREMIER, AND WE
WILL BEGIN WITH Mr. WEAVER.
Mr. WEAVER, EARLIER THIS WEEK,
YOU SAID THE GREENS' STAND FOR
ORDINARY PEOPLE IN COMPARISON TO
THE LIBERALS' TIES TO BIG
BUSINESS AND THE NDP TO BIG
UNIONS, WE WANT TO ASK YOU IF
THIS IS A CLOSE ELECTION, AS
MANY BELIEVE IT WILL BE, YOU MAY
BE IN THE POSITION OF DECIDING
WHO WILL GOVERN.
SO WHICH PARTY WHEN YOU SIDE
WITH TO FORM GOVERNMENT?
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
IT'S DIFFICULT TO ANSWER RIGHT
NOW BECAUSE THE PEOPLE OF
BRITISH COLUMBIA HAVE YET TO
DECIDE THE OUTCOME OF THIS
ELECTION.
WE RESPECT THE WILL OF THE
PEOPLE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, SO
WE HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL THE
ELECTION OCCURS.
WE HAVE AGREED AND WE HAVE
PROMISED AT ALL TIMES TO WORK
WITH WHOEVER FORMS GOVERNMENT,
AND WE WOULD HOPE THAT IF WE
FORM GOVERNMENT, THE -- MY
COLLEAGUES TO MY RIGHT AND LEFT
WOULD HAVE HOPED TO WORK WITH
US.
I PROMISE TO DO POLITICS
DIFFERENTLY IN THE LEGISLATURE.
I WORKED TO ENSURE THAT BILLS
GOT PASSED.
I RAISED ISSUES THERE THAT GOT
DEALT WITH, AND YOU CAN BE
EFFECTIVE IN DOING THAT IF YOU
ACTUALLY TREAT YOUR COLLEAGUES
WITH RESPECT.
BUT WHEN YOU ARE SITTING IN THE
LEGISLATURE WATCHING FOUR YEARS
OF Mr. HORGAN HURLING ABUSE AT
Ms. CLARK AND THEN THE MINISTERS
AND HER GOVERNMENT HURLING ABUSE
BACK, WHAT YOU FIND IS THAT IT'S
A DIFFICULT WORK TOGETHER.
SO BC GREENS ARE PUT TOGETHER AN
EXCEPTIONAL SUITE OF CANDIDATES,
EXCEPTIONAL SUITE OF CANDIDATES
WHO ARE STEPPING ASIDE FROM
THEIR CAREERS, NOT BECAUSE THEY
WANT TO BE CAREER POLITICIANS,
BUT BECAUSE OUT OF A SENSE OF
CIVIC DUTY, THEY BELIEVE WE NEED
TO RECLAIM OUR DEMOCRACY,
RECLAIM OUR DEMOCRACY FOR THE
PEOPLE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, AND
THAT'S WHY I'M SO EXCITED ABOUT
OUR TEAM.
AND THAT'S WHY, YOU KNOW, WE'LL
WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS IN THE
ELECTION.
THERE'S A PROCESS THAT HAS TO BE
FOLLOWED.
YOU KNOW, THE PROCESS THAT IS
FOLLOWED IS THE PARTY THAT WINS
THE MOST SEATS MUST GO TO THE
LIEUTENANT GOVERNOR AND SEEK THE
DECISION TO FORM OR NOT FORM A
GOVERNMENT.
WE'LL LET THE PROCESS FORM OUT
AND I'M LOOKING FORWARD.
I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO Ms. CLARK
AND Mr. HORGAN PHONING THE
OFFICE UP AND SAYING, WE WOULD
LIKE TO WORK WITH YOU BECAUSE WE
RECOGNIZE YOU ARE THE ONE
CONTROLLING THE MAJORITY OR YOU
ARE IN A MAJORITY GOVERNMENT OR
POSITION.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU FOR YOUR
ANSWER, SIR.
>>> TO THE LEADER OF THE NDP
NOW, AND Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE
DESCRIBED YOURSELF IN THE PAST
AS MERCURIAL WHICH IS BY
DEFINITION SYNONYMOUS WITH
TEMPERAMENTAL, UNPREDICTABLE,
VOLATILE.
THE QUESTION FOR YOU IS -- AND
Mr. WEAVER RAISED IT ABOUT YOUR
TEMPER -- DO YOU HAVE AN ANGER
MANAGEMENT ISSUE?
>> OF COURSE NOT.
LOOK, I'M AN IRISH DESCENDENT
AND PASSIONATE.
WHEN I SEE A GOVERNMENT THAT
IGNORES CHILDREN IN CARE TO THE
POINT WHERE THEY TAKE THEIR OWN
LIVES, I GET ANGRY AND I THINK
BRITISH COLUMBIANS DO AS WELL.
WHEN I SEE A PREMIER FIGHT WITH
TEACHERS AND MAKE IT DIFFICULT
TO LEARN FOR A GENERATION OF
KIDS, I GET ANGRY.
I'M PASSIONATE AND FEEL STRONGLY
ABOUT A WHOLE HOST OF ISSUES BUT
I HAVE ALWAYS MADE IT ABSOLUTELY
CLEAR IN MY CONSTITUENCY AND TO
WHEREVER I HAVE TRAVELLED
TALKING TO PEOPLE THAT THEY ARE
AT THE CENTRE OF MY POLITICS AND
EVERYTHING THAT I DO.
I GET UP EVERY DAY TRYING TO
MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR MY
NEIGHBOURS, TRYING TO MAKE LIFE
BETTER FOR MY COMMUNITY, AND TRY
AND MAKE LIFE BETTER FOR BRITISH
COLUMBIANS.
THAT'S WHY I'M IN THIS ELECTION.
THAT'S WHY I THINK IT'S SO
IMPORTANT THAT AFTER 16 YEARS OF
NEGLECT, IT'S TIME TO SEND THE
LIBERALS TO THE OPPOSITION
BENCHES AND WE HAVE PUT FORWARD
A PLATFORM THAT FOCUSES ON
PEOPLE, MAKING LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE.
NOT INCREASING HYDRO RATES, NOT
INCREASING MSP RATES, NOT
INCREASING ICBC RATES, BUT
CAPPING THOSE UNTIL WE GET TO
THE BOTTOM OF THE ABSOLUTE MESS
THEY HAVE CREATED OVER THE PAST
16 YEARS.
THESE CROWN CORPORATIONS ARE NOT
INSTANT TELLER MACHINES FOR THE
BC LIBERALS.
THEY WERE CREATED IN THE PAST BY
THE SO CRED GOVERNMENT AND THE
NDP GOVERNMENT TO BE THERE FOR
PEOPLE, NOT FOR POLITICIANS.
WE NEED TO CHANGE THAT.
AND YES I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT
THAT.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. HORGAN.
>>> NEXT QUESTION TO Ms. CLARK
ON THIS TOPIC, AND IN THE PAST
YEAR AS PREMIER, THE RCMP
LAUNCHED AN INVESTIGATION INTO
CAMPAIGN CONTRIBUTIONS AS A
RESULT OF DONATIONS TO YOUR
PARTY.
YOU FINALLY STOPPED TAKING A
SALARY TOP-UP AFTER PRETTY BIG
PUBLIC BACKLASH, AND YOU ALSO
FALSELY ACCUSED THE OPPOSITION
OF HACKING INTO YOUR PARTY'S
WEBSITE.
HOW DO YOU REPAIR BRITISH
COLUMBIANS' DAMAGED TRUST IN
YOU?
>> WELL, YOU KNOW, I THINK THE
THING THAT MATTERS MOST TO
BRITISH COLUMBIANS IS JOBS.
AND IN BRITISH COLUMBIA, WE HAVE
CREATED 226,000 NEW JOBS SINCE
THE INTRODUCTION OF THE JOBS
PLAN.
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN JOB
CREATION IN THE COUNTRY.
WE HAVE THE LOWEST UNEMPLOYMENT
IN THE COUNTRY.
SURE A LOT DIFFERENT FROM THE
NDP TIMES, WHEN UNEMPLOYMENT WAS
DOUBLE ON VANCOUVER ISLAND.
IT WAS 16% IN PLACES LIKE PRINCE
GEORGE.
I THINK WHAT MATTERS TO PEOPLE
IS LOWER TAXES.
WE ARE DELIVERING A BILLION
DOLLARS IN TAX CUTS FOR PEOPLE.
MORE JOBS.
WE ARE NUMBER ONE IN JOB
CREATION IN THE COUNTRY.
AND I WOULD SAY THAT IN THESE
TIMES OF RISING PROTECTIONISM IN
THE UNITED STATES AND THE
ELECTION OF PRESIDENT DONALD
TRUMP, WHAT BRITISH COLUMBIA IS
GOING TO NEED IS A LEADER WHO IS
TOUGH BUT WHO IS CALM AND IS
CONSIDERED.
A LEADER WHO DOES HER HOMEWORK.
WE CANNOT WIN DEALS LIKE THE
SOFTWOOD LUMBER AGREEMENT AND WE
CAN'T WIN THE OTHER
PROTECTIONIST MEASURES THE
AMERICANS ARE PROPOSING TO
UNDERTAKE IF WE DON'T CONTROL
OUR TEMPERS.
I AM SOMEONE, YOU ARE RIGHT, IN
MY TERM AS PREMIER HAS
EXPERIENCED SOME CONTROVERSY,
BUT I HAVE ALWAYS DONE THAT WITH
THE BEST INTEREST OF PEOPLE AT
HEART, MAKING SURE THAT WE ARE
CREATING JOBS FOR PEOPLE.
I KNOW THAT IF WE LEAVE MORE
MONEY IN YOUR POCKET, YOU CAN
SPEND IT BETTER THAN GOVERNMENT
CAN, AND I DON'T THINK
GOVERNMENT SHOULD GET ANY
BIGGER.
THAT'S WHAT LEADERSHIP MEANS TO
ME.
IT MEANS REMEMBERING WHAT'S
IMPORTANT TO ORDINARY BRITISH
COLUMBIANS, AND I HAVE ALWAYS
TRIED TO STICK WITH THAT.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
NOW THE LEADERS GET TO ASK EACH
OTHER ABOUT LEADERSHIP, AND ONCE
AGAIN, THERE IS A QUESTION
FOLLOWED BY AN UNINTERRUPTED
ANSWER, AND THEN A 90-SECOND
DEBATE.
SO WE BEGIN WITH Mr. WEAVER OF
THE GREENS WHO HAS A QUESTION
FOR Mr. HORGAN.
>> YES.
THANK YOU.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE PLAYED BOTH
SIDES OF THE BIG MONEY ISSUE.
ATTACKING Ms. CLARK ON THE ONE
HAND FOR TAKING MONEY FROM
CORPORATIONS AND UNIONS AND AT
THE SAME TIME ACCEPTING THEM
YOURSELF.
IF, AS YOU SAY, WE CAN'T TRUST
HER BECAUSE OF THESE DONATIONS,
HOW CAN PEOPLE TRUST YOU?
>> WELL, THANK YOU FOR THE
QUESTION, AND IT GIVES ME THE
OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE VIEWERS
AT HOME THAT WE, OVER THE PAST
TEN YEARS IN THE OFFICIAL
OPPOSITION, HAVE PUT FORWARD
LEGISLATION SIX TIMES TO GET BIG
MONEY OUT OF POLITICS, TO BAN
UNION AND CORPORATE DONATIONS,
TO PUT A CAP ON INDIVIDUAL
DONATIONS, TO PUT A CAP ON
DONATIONS FROM OUTSIDE OF
BRITISH COLUMBIA TO DO AWAY WITH
THAT.
THE BC LIBERALS VOTED AGAINST
IT.
THE BC LIBERALS WOULDN'T EVEN
ALLOW DEBATE TO TAKE PLACE THE
LAST TIME WE BROUGHT IT FORWARD.
I BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO GET
BIG MONEY OUT OF POLITICS AND
THE FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS FOR
AN NDP GOVERNMENT IS TO DO JUST
THAT.
IT'S NOT RIGHT FOR A GOVERNMENT,
MINISTERS OF THE CROWN AND THE
PREMIER, TO SIT DOWN WITH
DEVELOPERS, MINING COMPANIES,
AND OTHER COMPANIES, CHANGE
PERMITS, ISSUE REGULATION
CHANGES TO HELP THEM WITHOUT
PEOPLE IN BRITISH COLUMBIA BEING
PRETTY SKEPTICAL.
WE NEED TO GET MONEY OUT OF
POLITICS.
>> YOU DIDN'T ANSWER THE
QUESTION.
YOU SPECIFICALLY STATED, WE
CAN'T TRUST THE BC LIBERALS'
DECISIONS BECAUSE OF THE MONEY
THAT'S GOING TO THEM AND YOU
HAVEN'T ANSWERED WHY WE CAN
TRUST YOU.
WE KNOW THAT THE UNITED
STEELWORKERS ARE PAYING TWO OF
YOUR SENIOR CAMPAIGN DIRECTORS
TO ACTUALLY RUN YOUR CAMPAIGN.
WE KNOW THAT THEY CONTRIBUTED
$1.7 MILLION TO YOUR CAMPAIGN
LAST YEAR.
WHO IS CALLING THE SHOTS ON YOUR
CAMPAIGN?
IS IT YOU OR IS IT THE UNITED
STEELWORKERS?
HOW CAN WE TRUST YOU WHEN WE
RECOGNIZE THAT PEOPLE DON'T
DONATE $1.7 MILLION TO YOUR
PARTY WITHOUT AN EXPECTATION
SOMEWHERE THERE'S GOING TO BE
SOMETHING COMING BACK?
>> WORKING PEOPLE IN A PROVINCE
WHERE THEY HAVE SEEN 30,000 JOBS
SHED IN THE FOREST INDUSTRY WANT
SOMEONE THAT'S GOING TO CHAMPION
TO THEM.
IT'S THE SAME COMMITMENT I GAVE
TO THE PEOPLE AT HOME.
I'M IN THIS FOR YOU.
THE DAY AFTER THE ELECTION IF
THE NDP IS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO
FORM THE GOVERNMENT, WE'RE GOING
TO BAN BIG MONEY --
>> DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.
>> TO PEOPLE --
>> DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO.
THE GREENS ARE PRINCIPLED.
>> SIX MONTHS AGO, YOU BECAME
PRINCIPLED.
IN SEPTEMBER --
>> BANNED THE DONATIONS TO OUR
PARTY RECOGNIZING IT WAS WRONG
AND A BIT RICH FOR YOU AND YOUR
PARTY TO STAND UP AND CRITICIZE
THE LIBERALS FOR DOING EXACTLY
WHAT YOU WERE DOING.
$10,000 --
[ Speaking Simultaneously ].
>> BECAUSE TAKEN BIG PILES OF
MONEY.
THE ONLY WAY WE STOP THAT IS TO
PUT --
>> BC LIBERALS ARE GOING TO WIN
THE NEXT ELECTION?
DID YOU JUST SAY THAT?
>> TAKE THE BIG MONEY OUT OF
POLITICS --
>> I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU JUST SAID
THAT, JOHN.
>> Jennifer: WE WILL LEAVE THAT
DEBATE PORTION ON THE FLOOR FOR
THE TIME BEING.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU ARE UP NEXT IF
YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE THAT
TOPIC AND YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO ASK
Mr. WEAVER A QUESTION REGARDING
LEADERSHIP.
>> THANK YOU, JENNIFER.
YOUR DEPUTY LEADER HAS SAID
PUBLICLY HE HAS NO PROBLEM IN
SEEING FOUR MORE YEARS OF
CHRISTY CLARK.
I THINK THAT YOUR SUPPORTERS WHO
WANT TO SEE THE END OF THIS
GOVERNMENT, THE MOST
CORPORATE-FUNDED GOVERNMENT IN
THE HISTORY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA,
WOULD BE SURPRISED BY THAT.
WHY IS IT THAT IT'S OKAY FOR
YOUR DEPUTY LEADER TO SAY I'M
OKAY WITH THE LIBERALS WHILE YOU
SAY YOU WANT TO CHANGE THE
GOVERNMENT.
>> IN ACTUAL FACT, Mr. HORGAN,
YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO, THAT
Mr. OLSEN WAS ASKED A QUESTION
WITH RESPECT TO RUNNING IN A
CAMPAIGN.
FRANKLY, YOUR SUPPORTERS HAVE --
RATHER THAN OFFERING A VISION,
RATHER THAN OFFERING A VISION
FOR BRITISH COLUMBIANS TO GET
BEHIND, YOU HAVE HAD 16 YEARS TO
DO THAT.
16 YEARS.
YOUR WHOLE NARRATIVE IS TO BE
BETTER THAN THE BC LIBERALS.
WELL, Mr. HORGAN, BETTER THAN
REALLY BAD IS JUST PLAIN BAD AND
THIS IS YET ANOTHER EXAMPLE.
YOU DON'T OFFER PEOPLE IDEAS.
YOU DON'T OFFER PEOPLE VISIONS.
YOU PULL UP RHETORIC.
YOU THROW IT OUT OF CONTEXT AND
TO YOU -- I'M SURE YOUR PARTISAN
SUPPORTERS THINK THIS IS GREAT.
BUT YOU HAVE TO TELL US WHAT YOU
DO.
YOU FAILED TO DO SO AGAIN.
YOU HAVE FAILED TO DO SO FOR 16
YEARS, WHICH IS WHY Mr. THE BC
GREENS HAVE GROWING ACROSS THE
PROVINCE BECAUSE PEOPLE KNOW
WE'RE THERE FOR THEM.
>> YOU KNOW FULL WELL THAT THE
PEOPLE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA HAVE
HAD 16 YEARS OF A BC LIBERAL
GOVERNMENT THAT HAS PUT THEIR
CORPORATE DONORS FIRST.
THEY HAVE PUT THE PEOPLE AT THE
BACK BURNER AND THE BC GREENS
HAVE BEEN SUPPORTING THAT.
YOU HAVE BEEN SUPPORTING THAT
OVER THE PAST FOUR YEARS.
I THINK THE PEOPLE AT HOME WANT
TO KNOW, ARE WE GOING TO BE
ELECTING A GOVERNMENT THAT WILL
PUT THEM FIRST.
OUR PLATFORM IS THERE.
BC NDP.CA FOR EVERYONE TO GO AND
SEE.
TALKS ABOUT MAKING LIFE MORE
AFFORDABLE, THE SERVICES THAT
YOU CARE ABOUT, HEALTH CARE,
EDUCATION, BUILDING, TRANSIT,
DOING THE THINGS THAT WILL MAKE
OUR COMMUNITIES STRONGER --
>> THANK YOU, Mr. HORGAN --
THANK YOU FOR READING YOUR
PLATFORM OUT TO -- THE ISSUE
HERE, Mr. HORGAN --
>> WE'RE OFFERING THE PUBLIC A
CHANGE FROM WHAT WE HAVE HAD.
>> YOU HAVE HAD 16 YEARS.
>> HOPE FOR THE FUTURE.
I HAVE BEEN THE LEADER FOR THREE
YEARS.
>> YOU HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO
INSPIRE BRITISH COLUMBIANS --
[ Speaking Simultaneously ].
>> ON THE WEEKEND, AND THERE
WERE A THOUSAND PEOPLE THERE --
>> THERE WEREN'T A THOUSAND
PEOPLE IN THE COME DR BECAUSE --
>> YES, THERE WERE.
>> YOU SHOULD HAVE BEEN AT THE
VICTORIA CONFERENCE CENTRE.
>> YEAH, YEAH, YEAH.
[ Speaking Simultaneously ].
>> PEOPLE WANT TO CHANGE THE
GOVERNMENT.
AND YOU ARE OFFERING --
>> THAT IS NOT COSTED PROPERLY,
OUTRAGEOUS AND IN FACT --
>> IT'S NOT OUTRAGEOUS --
>> LET'S LOOK AT THE EDUCATION
FUND.
>> IT'S THE BC LIBERAL BUDGET --
>> NOTHING THERE FOR EDUCATION.
WE COMMIT $4 BILLION --
>> ON TWITTER AT 2 IN THE
MORNING, YOU HAVE THE
TEACHERS -- YOU ARE ON TWITTER
AT 2 IN THE MORNING ATTACKING
TEACHERS --
>> THERE WE GO.
PERSONAL ATTACKS FROM
Mr. HORGAN.
>> TEACHERS TO MAKE PUBLIC
EDUCATION HAPPEN.
>> Jennifer: CALL FOR A TIMEOUT
RIGHT NOW AND LET COOLER HEADS
PREVAIL FOR JUST A COUPLE OF
SECONDS.
Ms. CLARK, IT IS YOUR TURN TO
DIRECT LEADERSHIP QUESTIONS TO
ONE OF THE OTHER LEADERS, AND
YOU HAVE CHOSEN TO DIRECT IT TO
Mr. WEAVER.
>> THANK YOU.
AND I WILL NOT DEBATE WHETHER MY
RALLY IS BIGGER THAN YOUR RALLY,
Dr. WEAVER.
[ Laughter ]
>> I DON'T WANT TO DEBATE THAT
EITHER.
>> YEAH.
THE NDP AND THE GREENS ARE IN
ALMOST COMPLETE AGREEMENT TO
DOUBLE THE CARBON TAX IN JUST
TWO YEARS, DEVASTATING THOUSANDS
OF JOBS ALL ACROSS THE PROVINCE.
WHY ARE YOU PUTTING THOSE
THOUSANDS OF JOBS AT RISK, Dr.
WEAVER?
>> WELL, THANK YOU FOR THE
QUESTION, AND I'M VERY PLEASED
THAT YOU PUT THAT.
FIRST OFF, THE BC NDP HAVE --
HAVE ACTUALLY SAID THEY'LL DO
$50 SOMEWHERE DOWN THE ROAD.
AS YOU KNOW, Ms. CLARK, WE
BELIEVE THAT LEADERS LEAD.
WE BELIEVE THAT WHEN Mr. GORDON
CAMPBELL STOOD UP AND RECOGNIZED
THAT CLIMATE CHANGE WAS AN
ISSUE, HE RECOGNIZED IT IN EVERY
CHALLENGE AS AN OPPORTUNITY,
WHICH IS WHY THE LIBERALS UNDER
CAMPBELL TOOK OF THE ISSUE OF
RAISING THE CARBON TAX TO $30 A
TONNE.
DID IT ACTUALLY HURT THE
ECONOMY?
NO.
THE BC ECONOMY OUTPERFORMED THE
CANADIAN ECONOMY BECAUSE IT WAS
THE EMERGING ECONOMY THAT WE
TOOK OFF IN.
WE BELIEVE THAT THIS IS THE
CORRECT WAY.
YOU ARE TRYING TO TAKE US BACK
INTO THE 20TH CENTURY, CHASING
JOBS THAT DON'T EXIST, SQUEEZING
WATER FROM ROCKS.
THE BC GREENS HAVE A VISION FOR
A NEW ECONOMY THAT PUTS PEOPLE
FIRST, THAT RECOGNIZES OUR
STRENGTHS AND BUILDS ON THOSE.
NOT CHASE THE WEAKNESSES OF
OTHERS.
>> Dr. WEAVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA
HAS LED THE WAY AND WE CONTINUE
TO LEAD THE WAY IN NORTH
AMERICA.
NO ONE ELSE ON THIS CONTINENT
PAYS A $30 CARBON TAX ALMOST
RIGHT ACROSS THE BOARD.
WE ARE PROUD OF WHAT WE ARE
DOING.
UNITED NATIONS HAS RECOGNIZED --
>> RECOGNIZED Mr. CAMPBELL.
>> NO.
WHICH REMAINS --
>> RECOGNIZED Mr. CAMPBELL.
YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY ON
CLIMATE CHANGE.
>> THE REASON THE CARBON TAX HAS
WORKED --
>> YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY ON
THIS FILE.
>> WE PUT THAT MONEY BACK INTO
YOUR POSHTH --
>> THIS IS WHY THE L.A. TIMES --
>> HOLD ON A SECOND.
HOLD ON A SECOND.
HAS GONE RIGHT BACK INTO --
>> YOU ARE PUTTING SOUND BITES
AND RHETORIC.
NOT DEALING WITH THE ISSUE.
>> IT MEANS WE HAVEN'T HURT JOBS
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
MEANS THAT WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO
ACHIEVE BEING THE FASTEST --
>> BECAUSE OF THE CARBON TAX.
CIRCULAR ARGUMENT.
>> BECAUSE THAT REVENUE CONTROL,
GOING BACK INTO CUTTING PEOPLE'S
TAXES TO KEEP THE ECONOMY
STRONG --
>> THE LA TIMES WROTE A SCATHING
ASSESSMENT OF YOUR CLIMATE
LEADERSHIP AND POINTED OUT THAT
BC HAS GONE FROM LEADERS TO
LAGGERS.
BRITISH COLUMBIANS LOVE TO BE
LEADERS.
THEY WON'T WANT TO BE FOLLOWERS.
LEADERS LEAD.
THEY DON'T WAIT FOR OTHERS TO
CATCH UP AND THEN FOLLOW THEM.
BC USED TO BE A LEADER.
I WAS PART OF THAT LEADERSHIP
TEAM THAT SET IN PLACE THOSE
POLICIES.
YOU SET UP A LEADERSHIP TEAM.
IGNORED THE RESULTS.
Mr. HORGAN IS TAKING SOME OF THE
RESULTS AND IGNORING OTHERS.
>> THE UNITED NATIONS, DR. --
NOT THE LA TIMES -- HAS
RECOGNIZED US AS A --
>> UNITED NATIONS RECOGNIZED
Mr. CAMPBELL'S EFFORTS AND
FRANKLY IT'S A BIT RICH TO TELL
ME WHAT THE U.N. -- AS I SERVED
ON THE U.N. PANEL ON CLIMATE
CHANGE, NOT ONE, TWO, THREE, BUT
FOUR TIMES OVER THE YEAR.
>> Jennifer: THAT IS TIME.
WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR DEBATE
PORTION.
WE WILL CONTINUE DEBATE BETWEEN
THE LEADERS BUT WE WANT TO
SWITCH JUST NOW TO A LITTLE MORE
FREE FORM PART OF THE DEBATE
THAT WE'RE CALLING HOT TOPICS.
THE CONSORTIUM CAME UP WITH A
SPECIFIC QUESTION FOR EACH
LEADER.
ONCE AGAIN HAVE 1:30 TO ANSWER
THOSE QUESTIONS.
NO DEBATE AGAIN ON THESE
PARTICULAR QUESTIONS BUT WE'RE
LOOKING FOR CONCISE AND DIRECT
ANSWERS.
WE'LL BEGIN WITH Mr. HORGAN.
YOU ARE ON THE RECORD AS BEING
OPPOSED TO KINDER MORGAN
EXPANSION, AGAINST THE SITE C
DAM PROJECT AS WELL AS AGAINST
THE CURRENT PROPOSAL TO REPLACE
THE MASSEY TUNNEL WITH A BRIDGE.
WHAT DO YOU SAY TO PEOPLE WHO
ARE COUNTING ON THOSE SPECIFIC
JOBS?
>> CERTAINLY THE KINDER MORGAN
EXPANSION IS NOT IN THE INTEREST
OF BRITISH COLUMBIA.
A SEVEN-FOLD INCREASE IN TANKER
TRAFFIC COMING OUT OF OUR MAJOR
METROPOLITAN CENTRE, THROUGH THE
GULF ISLANDS UP THE STRAIT OF
JUAN DE FUCA IS NOT IN THE
INTEREST OF OUR PEOPLE, ECONOMY
OUR ENVIRONMENT.
SITE C, I BELIEVE THAT EVERY
PROJECT THAT BC HYDRO HAS DONE
SINCE THE 1980s HAS HAD TO GO TO
OUR INDEPENDENT BC UTILITIES
COMMISSION TO GET INDEPENDENT
ASSESSMENT AND APPROVAL AND
CROSS-EXAMINATION OF WHERE BC
HYDRO'S PROCEEDING.
CHRISTY CLARK SAID NO TO THAT
AND IS RAMMING THROUGH A NINE,
TEN, $11 BILLION DAM WITHOUT
ANYONE SAYING IT'S A GOOD IDEA
EXCEPT BC LIBERALS.
I DON'T THINK IT'S ACCEPTABLE
PARTICULARLY IN LIGHT OF THE
FACT THAT HYDRO RATES HAVE GONE
UP 87% ON THE LIBERALS' WATCH.
WE HAVE OTHER THINGS WE CAN
INVEST IN THAT ARE CHEAPER AND
SERVE US BETTER IN THE LONG
TERM.
WHEN IT COMES TO THE MASSEY
BRIDGE, I WANT TO FOLLOW THE
TEN-YEAR PLAN OF THE MAYOR TO
BUILD TRANSPORTATION IN THE
LOWER MAINLAND, AND EVERY MAYOR
IN THE REGION, SAVE ONE, THINKS
THAT THE MASSEY TUNNEL
REPLACEMENT IS NOT THE RIGHT
SOLUTION FOR THAT PROBLEM.
WE NEED TO DEAL WITH CONGESTION
THERE BUT WE HAVE MORE PRESSING
ISSUES.
THE PATTULLO BRIDGE IS PAST THE
LIFE CYCLE IN FIVE YEARS IT
NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AND THE
LIBERALS HAVE ARED THAT.
THEY HAVE GONE FORWARD --
IGNORED -- WITH A PLAN THAT NO
ONE ELSE IN THE REGION SUPPORTS
EXCEPT THEM.
WE HAVE TO LOOK AT OTHER
SOLUTIONS TO MEET OUR
TRANSPORTATION CHALLENGING.
>> Jennifer: Mr. WEAVER, YOUR
QUESTION IS THIS: YOU HAVE COME
OUT WITH A COMPREHENSIVE POLICY
PLATFORM AND YOU ARE RUNNING
CANDIDATES IN EVERY ALMOST EVERY
RIDING.
WHAT DO YOU THINK YOUR CHANCES
ARE OF FORMING GOVERNMENT AND
WHAT DO YOU SAY TO PEOPLE WHO
MAY THINK A VOTE FOR THE GREEN
PARTY IS ACTUALLY A WASTED VOTE.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION
AND I DO APPRECIATE IT.
LOOK, YOU KNOW, IN THE LAST
ELECTION, THE PARTY THAT WON THE
LAST ELECTION WAS NOT THE BC
LIBERALS.
IT WAS THE NON-VOTER.
45% OF BRITISH COLUMBIANS.
THAT'S ALMOST ONE IN TWO BRITISH
COLUMBIANS DIDN'T BOTHER TO VOTE
BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT INSPIRED
TO VOTE.
THE BC GREENS OFFER PEOPLE
SOMETHING TO VOTE FOR, NOT VOTE
AGAINST.
I KNOW THAT THERE'S A LOT OF
PEOPLE WHO VOTE BC LIBERAL.
NOT BECAUSE THEY LIKE WHAT THEY
STAND FOR, BUT THEY ARE SCARED
ABOUT WHAT THE BC NDP STAND FOR.
I KNOW THERE'S A BUNCH OF PEOPLE
WHO VOTE BC NDP.
NOT BECAUSE THEY LIKE WHAT THEY
STAND FOR.
BECAUSE THEY FEAR THEM AND
DISLIKE WHAT THE BC LIBERALS
STAND FOR.
I ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO CHECK OUT
OUR PLATFORM, BCGREENS.CA,
BECAUSE OUR FUTURE IS YOUR
HANDS.
IF YOU COME OUT AND VOTE,
ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE.
YOU KNOW, THIS QUESTION COULD
HAVE BEEN POSED TO Mr. SILVER IN
YUKON, WHO HAD ONE SEAT GOING
INTO THE LAST YUKON ELECTION AND
CAME OUT WITH A MAJORITY
GOVERNMENT.
OR RACHEL NOTLEY, WHO CAME OUT
WITH A MAJORITY GOVERNMENT.
THIS QUESTION COULD HAVE BEEN
POSED TO Mr. TRUDEAU, WHO HAD 33
I BELIEVE SEATS AND THIRD PLACE
AND CAME OUT WITH A STRONG
MAJORITY OF GOVERNMENT.
IT IS PRESUMPTIONOUS TO THINK
THAT ANYONE OWNS A VOTE.
OUR FUTURE IS IN YOUR HANDS.
IF YOU VOTE FOR WHAT YOU BELIEVE
IN INSTEAD OF THE FEAR MONGERING
TACTICS PARTICULARLY FROM
Mr. HORGAN, RATHER THAN
INSPIRING A VOTER WITH A VISION
THEY CAN GET BEHIND ESSENTIALLY
RUNS THE NARRATIVE YOU HAVE GOT
TO VOTE FOR US BECAUSE YOU ARE
BETTER THAN THE BC LIBERALS.
BETTER THAN REALLY BAD IS STILL
BAD.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU.
Ms. CLARK, YOU ARE OFTEN TOUTING
THE ECONOMIC SUCCESS OF THE
PROVINCE.
YET BC STILL HAS THE HIGHEST
CHILD POVERTY RATES IN THE
COUNTRY.
WELFARE RATES HADN'T RISEN IN
TEN YEARS.
HOW CAN YOU BRAG ABOUT THE
ECONOMY WHEN IT APPEARS SO MANY
HAVE BEEN LEFT BEHIND?
>> WE HAVE REDUCED CHILD POVERTY
BY 50% IN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND
WE NEED TO DO MUCH MORE, AND IN
A PROVINCE THAT'S GOT THE
FASTEST RATE OF ECONOMIC GROWTH,
226,000 JOBS SINCE WE INTRODUCED
THE JOBS PLAN, OVER 90% OF THEM
FULL-TIME JOBS, WE NEED TO MAKE
SURE THAT WE ARE SUPPORTING
PEOPLE IN FINDING THEIR WAY INTO
WORK.
THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO MAKE
SURE PEOPLE CAN LOOK AFTER THE
ONES THAT THEY LOVE.
BEING ON SOCIAL ASSISTANCE ISN'T
A GREAT LONG-TERM ANSWER FOR
ANYBODY.
AND I KNOW THAT MOST PEOPLE ON
SOCIAL ASSISTANCE DO WANT TO
FIND THEIR WAY INTO THE
WORKFORCE.
WE HAVE DONE A NUMBER OF THINGS,
IN PARTICULAR SUPPORTING SINGLE
PARENTS -- MOST OF THEM MOMS,
BUT SOME OF THEM DADS -- WE PAY
TUITION, CHILDCARE, BOOKS,
TRANSPORTATION, AND WE WILL
SUPPORT YOU FINDING THAT SKILLS
TRAINING THAT YOU NEED TO GET
OFF SOCIAL ASSISTANCE AND INTO A
JOB BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS
BELIEVED THAT THE BEST WAY TO
ALLEVIATE POVERTY AND THE REASON
WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO REDUCE IT
BY 50% FOR CHILDREN IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA IS BECAUSE WE CREATE
JOBS FOR PEOPLE.
AND WE WANT TO MAKE SURE PEOPLE
HAVE THE TRAINING TO TAKE THOSE
JOBS AND THAT ONCE THEY GET A
JOB, THAT THEY HAVE A CHANCE TO
GET A BETTER JOB AND THAT THEIR
CHILDREN HAVE A CHANCE TO GET A
JOB.
BOTH THE NDP AND THE GREENS HAVE
A BIG PLAN TO KILL JOBS IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
I'D LIKE THE CHANCE TO KEEP
LEADING IN CREATING JOBS AND
MAKING SURE WE STAY NUMBER ONE.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
MOVE TO THE SECOND PART OF HOT
TOPICS AND THAT'S A CHANCE FOR
THE LEADERS THEMSELVES TO ASK
ANOTHER LEADER ANY QUESTION THEY
CHOOSE, NO HOLDS BARRED.
15 SECONDS TO ASK THE QUESTION.
45 UNINTERRUPTED SECONDS TO
REPLY AND THEN THE TWO LEADERS
WILL DEBATE THE ISSUE FOR AN
ENTIRE MINUTE AND A HALF.
THE FIRST LEADER TO LEADER HOT
TOPIC QUESTION GOES TO
Mr. HORGAN, WHO HAS CHOSEN TO
DIRECT HIS QUESTION TO LIBERAL
LEADER CHRISTY CLARK.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU HAVE THE FLOOR.
>> THANK YOU.
AFTER 16 YEARS OF ILLEGAL CUTS
TO PUBLIC EDUCATION AFTER THE
SUPREME COURT SAID THAT YOUR
CHOICES AS MINISTER OF EDUCATION
AND YOUR CHOICES AS PREMIER WERE
AGAINST THE LAW, YOU HAVE NEVER
APOLOGIZED TO THE KIDS THAT LOST
A GENERATION OF EDUCATIONAL
OPPORTUNITY, YOU NEVER
APOLOGIZED TO THEIR PARENTS, TO
TEACHERS.
WILL YOU DO THAT TODAY?
WILL YOU APOLOGIZE TO THE KIDS,
THE GENERATION THAT YOU STOLED?
>> THANK YOU FOR THE KWECHLT I'M
GLAD TO GET -- QUESTION.
I'M GLAD TO TALK ABOUT EDUCATION
BECAUSE I THINK IT'S THE SINGLE
MOST IMPORTANT INVESTMENT WE CAN
MAKE.
IT'S INVESTING IN OUR FUTURE.
I THINK HOW MANY PARENTS COME TO
BRITISH COLUMBIA MAKING
TREMENDOUS SACRIFICES, WE OWE IT
TO THEM TO PROVIDE THEM WITH THE
BEST EDUCATION POSSIBLE FOR
THEIR CHILDREN.
THE NDP PLAN DOESN'T INCLUDE A
NEW PENNY FOR EDUCATION.
THEY MUST THINK THAT WE'RE DOING
SOMETHING RIGHT.
AND OUR KIDS IN BC ARE NUMBER
ONE IN READING IN INTERNATIONAL
COMPARISONS AROUND THE WORLD,
NUMBER TWO IN SCIENCE, NUMBER
SIX IN MATH, AND AS A RESULT OF
THE AGREEMENT THAT WE CAME TO
WITH THE BCTF, WE ARE ADDING
JUST ABOUT 3,000 TEACHERS TO
KLOPPS WHICH I THINK WILL MAKE
IT EVEN BETTER -- CLASSROOM --
>> YOU SHORTCHANGED AN ENTIRE
GENERATION OF KIDS FROM
KINDERGARTEN THROUGH GRADE 1
THAT DIDN'T HAVE THE SUPPORTS IN
CLASSROOMS THEY DESERVED, NO
SPECIALIST TEACHERS, NO TEACHER
LIBRARIANS, AND NO COUNSELLORS.
KIDS COULDN'T GET ASSESSMENTS
FOR YEARS AND YEARS AND YEARS.
YOU ARE ONLY YOUNG ONCE, Ms.
CLARK, AND YOU STOLE A
GENERATION OF KIDS BECAUSE OF
YOUR BULL HEADED ON PUBLIC
EDUCATION --
>> I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM -- I
DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG --
>> ALMOST UNBELIEVABLE.
>> THE THING IS THAT -- I MEAN,
THAT PUTS THE LIGHT TO THAT IS
THE FACT THAT OUR KIDS ARE
NUMBER ONE IN INTERNATIONAL
COMPARISONS --
>> DESPITE YOUR GOVERNMENT, Ms.
CLARK.
DESPITE YOUR GOVERNMENT.
BECAUSE OF THE PROFESSIONALISM
OF THE TEACHERS IN THIS GREAT
PROVINCE.
>> THAT'S PRETTY GOOD --
>> THE SUPREME COURT TOOK 15
MINUTES --
>> HOLD ON A SECOND.
>> 15 MINUTES TO TELL YOU YOU
WERE WRONG.
>> WE CAN CONTINUE TO DO --
>> YOU CAN'T APOLOGIZE FOR
ANYTHING, CAN YOU.
YOU CAN NEVER TAKE
RESPONSIBILITY.
>> THE NDP HASN'T PROMISED A
SINGLE NEW PENNY FOR EDUCATION
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
>> YOU CAN'T APOLOGIZE FOR
ANYTHING -- NEVER ACCOUNTABLE,
NEVER RESPONSIBLE -- THAT'S THE
LIBERAL WAY.
>> THAT'S THE MOST IMPORTANT
THING WE CAN -- WE ARE MAKING --
>> PARENTS FORCED TO FUNDRAISE
FOR TEXTBOOKS.
YOUR LEGACY.
>> WE ARE MAKING THAT
INVESTMENT --
>> FORCED TO MAKE --
>> WE ARE NEED TO KEEP DOING
BETTER.
SO WE CAN STAY AHEAD AND WE'RE
GOING TO CONTINUE TO MAKE THAT
INVESTMENT IN KIDS.
>> FUNDRAISING FOR TEXTBOOKS.
THAT'S THE BC LIBERAL PUBLIC
EDUCATION LEGACY.
>> Jennifer: I NEED TO STOP YOU
THERE.
OUT OF TIME FOR THAT PORTION OF
THE DEBATE.
OUR NEXT LEADER ASKING A
QUESTION OF THEIR CHOOSING IS
GREENS' LEADER ANDREW WEAVER,
WHO IS DIRECTING HIS QUESTION TO
Mr. HORGAN.
Mr. ANDREW WEAVER, YOU MAY GO
AHEAD.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE OPPORTUNITY
TO ASK THIS.
Mr. HORGAN, YOU MADE A PROMISE
TO ABOLISH MSP PREMIUMS YET YOU
AND YOUR CANDIDATES KEEP
CHANGING YOUR POSITION HOW YOU
WILL PAY FOR IT.
HOW CAN BRITISH COLUMBIANS TRUST
THAT YOUR LEADERSHIP, WHEN YOU
PROMISED -- WHEN YOU WON'T TAKE
A CLEAR STAND ON A MAJOR PROMISE
YOU HAVE MADE?
>> I HAVE BEEN CRYSTAL CLEAR ON
THE PREMIUMS RIGHT FROM THE
START.
WE ARE THE ONLY PROVINCE IN THE
COUNTRY THAT HAS THEM AND OVER
THE PAST 16 YEARS, THE BC
LIBERALS HAVE DOUBLED THEM.
EVERY YEAR FROM 2008 UNTIL THIS
YEAR, 4% INCREASE EVERY JANUARY.
AND THE BC LIBERALS REFUSED TO
ACKNOWLEDGE THIS WAS A PROBLEM
UNTIL THEY WERE, AGAIN, DRAGGED
KICKING AND SCREAMING.
OUR PLAN IS TO ELIMINATE HALF OF
THE PREMIUMS BY JANUARY 2018 AND
PUT IN PLACE A BLUE RIBBON PANEL
TO LOOK AT THE PEOPLE INVOLVED
IN THE COLLECTION OF MSP AND
ELIMINATE BY THE END OF OUR
FIRST TERM.
THAT'S YOUR COMMITMENT AND
THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO.
>> WELL, MAY I PROCEED?
>> Jennifer: YES.
DEBATE AGAIN.
>> THANK YOU.
THAT MIGHT BE FINE AND DANDY,
BUT, YOU KNOW, YOU ARE BASICALLY
SAYING THEN THAT YOU HAVE A
PLAN -- TO DEVELOP A PLAN TO
COME UP WITH A PLAN.
>> CORRECT.
CORRECT.
>> HOW CAN WE TRUST -- YOU HAVE
A PLAN TO DEVELOP A PLAN TO COME
UP WITH A PLAN, YET YOU STOOD
BEFORE PEOPLE AND HAVE TOLD
BRITISH COLUMBIANS YOU ARE GOING
TO ELIMINATE MSP --
>> IN THE TERM -- YOU SAID
EARLIER --
>> COULD I ACTUALLY GET SOME
WORDS IN.
YOUR FINANCE CRITIC SAID YOU
WOULD INTRODUCE A PROGRESSIVE
SYSTEM --
>> YOU SAID EARLIER THAT YOU
SHOULD BE ABLE TO BALANCE OVER
YOUR CYCLE OF TIME IN
GOVERNMENT.
WHAT IS IT OKAY FOR YOU TO SAY
THAT BUT NOT OKAY FOR ME TO SAY
THAT?
>> IT'S OKAY FOR YOU TO SAY
THAT, Mr. HORGAN, BUT YOU HAVE
SAID SO MANY THINGS --
>> WHY DOES IT ONLY BELONG TO
YOU?
[ Speaking Simultaneously ].
>> IT'S IN THE PLATFORM, I HAVE
JUST SAID IT AGAIN.
WE'RE GOING TO CUT THE PREMIUMS
IN HALF IN JANUARY AND WE'RE
GOING TO ELIMINATE THEM AT THE
END OF THE FIRST TIME OF AN
NDP --
>> AND THEN HAVE A PANEL TO COME
UP WITH A PLAN TO HAVE A PLAN
AND HAVE A PLAN.
TYPICAL NDP PLAN.
>> YOU SAY YOU WANT TO HAVE A
FOUR-YEAR PLAN AND THAT'S OKAY
FOR YOU.
IF SOMEONE ELSE SAYS THAT,
THAT'S NOT OKAY.
>> WE HAVE ARTICULATED PRECISELY
HOW WE WILL ELIMINATE THE MSP,
BY FOLLOWING THE ONTARIO MODEL.
I WAS THE FIRST TO RAISE THIS IN
THE LEGISLATURE --
>> THE FIRST?
THE FIRST, Mr. WEAVER --
>> 50,000 PEOPLE -- AND GOT BOTH
PARTIES HERE.
THE BC GREENS GOT BOTH PARTIES.
>> ELIMINATED IN THE FIRST TERM
OF AN NDP GOVERNMENT.
MSP WILL BE ELIMINATED IN THE
FIRST TERM OF THE NDP
GOVERNMENT.
>> WE CAN MAKE POLITICS HAPPEN
HERE IN BC.
>> OH, MY GOODNESS.
>> GOING TO GET MAD AT ME NOW
TOO?
>> COME ON, MAN.
>> Jennifer: LET'S KEEP THIS
RESPECTFUL, SHALL WE?
LAST OF THE OPEN DEBATE
QUESTIONS NOW.
LIBERAL LEADER CHRISTY CLARK HAS
A QUESTION FOR Mr. HORGAN.
GO AHEAD.
>> INDEPENDENT ECONOMISTS HAVE
VERIFIED THAT Mr. HORGAN'S
ECONOMIC PLAN IS COMPLETELY
UNAFFORDABLE FOR THE PEOPLE OF
BRITISH COLUMBIA RESULTING IN
HIGHER TAXES AND HUGE DEFICITS.
WHY ARE YOU PUTTING Mr. HORGAN,
OUR KIDS, INTO A CRATER OF DEBT
TO TUNE OF $6 BILLION?
>> FIRST OF ALL, Ms. CLARK,
INDEPENDENT ECONOMISTS AREN'T
INDEPENDENT WHEN THE BC LIBERALS
HIRE THEM TO DO THE ANALYSIS,
AND THEY DID AN ANALYSIS
INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH ON THE
FISCAL PLAN THAT THE MINISTRY OF
FINANCE TABLED IN THE
LEGISLATURE BACK IN FEBRUARY.
WE TOOK THE NUMBERS THAT YOU PUT
BEFORE THE PUBLIC AND THEN RAN
OFF TO SPEND PUBLIC MONEY
CAMPAIGNING, SPENDING TAX
DOLLARS ON $20 MILLION WORTH OF
ADS ON TELEVISION.
WE TOOK THOSE NUMBERS AND WE
MADE DIFFERENT CHOICES.
WE MADE CHOICES FOR PEOPLE.
WE MADE CHOICES TO MAKE SURE
THAT THE SERVICES THAT PEOPLE
DEPEND ON AND THEY CARE ABOUT
WERE THERE FOR THEM.
THAT'S OUR PLAN BASED ON THE
NUMBERS YOUR FINANCE MINISTER
TABLED, YOU HIRE SOMEONE TO DO
AN ANALYSIS, THEY ARE NOT
INDEPENDENT ANYMORE, Ms. CLARK,
THEY ARE EMPLOYEES.
YOU HIRED TWO PEOPLE FROM
ONTARIO TO DO A HATCHET JOB ON
THE PLAN THAT WE EMBRACED THAT
WAS TABLED BY YOUR FINANCE
MINISTER.
>> Mr. HORGAN, IT'S A $6 BILLION
PLAN.
YOU HAVE GOT MSP, WHICH YOU ARE
GOING TO CALL HIGHER TAXES, JUST
BY ANOTHER NAME --
>> Ms. CLARK, YOU HAVE DOUBLED
THOSE PREMIUMS OVER THE PAST --
>> THEY ARE AT 1993 LEVELS.
>> NO CREDIBILITY.
THEY ARE NOT.
>> YES, THEY ARE --
>> THEY ARE GOING TO CHANGE IN
JANUARY.
THIS IS A TYPICAL BC LIBERAL
PROMISE.
>> HANG ON.
>> WE'LL DO SOMETHING FOR YOU
AFTER THE ELECTION.
EVERYTHING YOU DO, Ms. CLARK, IS
PREDICATED ON WINNING AN
ELECTION, NOT ON GOVERNING FOR
THE PEOPLE OF BRITISH COLUMBIA.
>> WE WOULD ALL LIKE TO BE ABLE
TO TALK, BECAUSE I THINK PEOPLE
WANT --
>> PEOPLE KNOW WHAT YOU STAND
FOR, Ms. CLARK, AND THAT'S WHY
THEY WANT YOU GONE.
>> THE BC LIBERALS PLAN IS $6
BILLION IN NEW SPENDING THAT HAS
TO COME -- NDP --
>> THEY HAVE ACCOUNTED IT IN THE
FISCAL PLAN THAT WE TABLED TWO
WEEKS AGO.
>> IT WILL BE IN HIGHER TAXES
AND DEFICITS THAT OUR KIDS
ULTIMATELY HAVE TO PAY AS THE
DEBT --
>> BALANCING IN YEAR ONE, TWO,
THREE --
>> Mr. HORGAN, YOU INTRODUCED
YOUR GOVERNMENT -- YOUR
GOVERNMENT INTRODUCED EIGHT
CONSECUTIVE --
>> IT WASN'T MY GOVERNMENT.
IT'S 2017, Ms. CLARK.
>> OUR GOVERNMENT HAS
INTRODUCED --
>> PEOPLE AT HOME WANT TO KNOW
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR
THEM TOMORROW?
THAT'S WHAT THEY ARE INTERESTED
IN.
>> THAT'S NOT TRUE.
I THINK PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW WHAT
WE'RE GOING TO DO FOR THEIR KIDS
AND MAKE SURE THEIR KIDS HAVE A
GREAT FUTURE.
>> TOMORROW.
TOMORROW.
>> I THINK ALL THE PEOPLE WHO
SACRIFICE TO LOOK AFTER THEIR
KIDS DON'T JUST WANT TO KNOW
ABOUT TOMORROW.
I THINK PEOPLE WANT TO KNOW WHAT
THE LONG-TERM FUTURE --
>> THAT'S TOMORROW, Ms. CLARK.
I DON'T KNOW WHAT --
>> THAT MEANS MAKING SURE THAT
WE RELIEVE THEM OF DEBT AS MUCH
AS WE CAN, THAT WE KEEP TAXES
LOW AND CREATE JOBS FOR THEM.
>> TIME IS UP.
>> Jennifer: TIME IS UP.
YOU ARE CORRECT.
A SPIRITED DEBATE.
BOTH LOOKED INVESTED.
I THOUGHT I WOULD GIVE YOU A FEW
EXTRA SECONDS.
>> I'M SORRY.
>> Jennifer: NOT AT ALL.
THANK YOU FOR FOLLOWING THE
TIME.
>> UNBELIEVABLE.
UNBELIEVABLE.
>> Jennifer: FASCINATING TO
LISTEN TO.
>> JUST LOVE TALKING.
>> Jennifer: NO, NO, THAT'S
FINE.
>>> LET'S MOVE ON TO QUESTIONS
FROM THE VIEWERS AND LISTENERS.
AS I MENTIONED EARLIER, WE
RECEIVED SOME 1,300 SUBMISSIONS
AND WE WANT TO THANK ALL OF YOU
FOR TAKING THE TIME.
BUT WE WERE ONLY TABLE TO USE A
SELECT FEW, OBVIOUSLY.
SO IN THIS ROUND, THINGS WILL
SPEED UP A LITTLE BIT.
EACH LEADER WILL RESPOND TO THE
QUESTION WITH A 45-SECOND OR
LESS ANSWER.
SO HERE WE GO.
OUR FIRST QUESTION IS ABOUT THE
SOFTWOOD LUMBER TARIFF ANNOUNCED
BY THE UNITED STATES.
VERN RAT CLIFF OF COURTENAY
ASKED THIS: WHAT DO YOU INTEND
TO DO TO HELP THE BACKBONE OF
THIS PROVINCE WITH A 20% TARIFF
ON SOFTWOOD LUMBER?
CHRISTY CLARK STARTS US OFF
FOLLOWED BY ANDREW WEAVER AND
THEN JOHN HORGAN.
>> 60,000 PEOPLE DEPEND ON IT,
ON FOREST INDUSTRY.
140 COMMUNITIES.
JOHN HORGAN HASN'T RAISED IT
ONCE IN QUESTION PERIOD IN THE
LEGISLATURE.
I AM GOING TO FIGHT FOR JOBS.
I AM GOING TO STAND TOE TO TOE.
I'M GOING TO BE TOUGH.
I WILL BE STRONG, AND I WILL BE
CALM AND RESILIENT IN MAKING
SURE THAT WE GET THE BEST,
FAIREST DEAL FOR BRITISH
COLUMBIA WHEN IT COMES TO
SOFTWOOD.
AND, YOU KNOW, WE ALL KNOW
WHY -- WHY Mr. HORGAN TURTLED
WHEN IT CAME TO SOFTWOOD.
IT'S BECAUSE HE IS TAKING HIS
ORDERS FROM THE UNION IN
PITTSBURGH THAT IS FIGHTING FOR
AMERICAN JOBS AND STANDING
BESIDE DONALD TRUMP WHEN HE --
WHEN HE CALLS OUR FOREST WORKERS
A DISGRACE.
WE NEED TO CONTINUE TO WORK AND
TO FIGHT FOR YOU.
I HAVE A RECORD OF FIGHTING FOR
JOBS IN OUR PROVINCE.
I'M GOING TO CONTINUE TO DO THAT
WHEN IT COMES TO SOFTWOOD.
AND I WANT PEOPLE IN THOSE
COMMUNITIES AND OUR VIEWER
TONIGHT TO KNOW WE HAVE GOT YOUR
BACK.
>> Jennifer: GO AHEAD,
Mr. WEAVER.
>> THANK YOU.
WE HAVE KNOWN ABOUT THIS LOOMING
ISSUE FOR TWO YEARS NOW.
AND ONE OF THE THINGS THAT HAS
NOT HAPPENED IS THIS GOVERNMENT
HAS NOT GONE TO OTTAWA TO RAISE
THIS IMPORTANT ISSUE, TO GET
NEGOTIATIONS HAPPENING EARLY,
COLLECTIVELY, PROVINCE-WIDE,
CANADA-WIDE.
YOU KNOW, OUR RECOGNITION IS
THAT THE RESOURCES IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA ARE OWNED BY THE
PEOPLE.
THEY ARE NOT OWNED BY
MULTINATIONALS.
THIS GOVERNMENT'S APPROACH HAS
TO GIVE -- HAS BEEN TO GIVE
TIMBER LOT LICENCES TO
MULTINATIONALS.
FIVE COMPANIES OWN VIRTUALLY ALL
THE LOTS HERE IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA AND THEY ARE BUYING UP
SAW MILLS IN THE STATES STATES
TO SHIP RAW LOGS TO THE STATES
TO BE MILLED THERE.
WE NEED TO LOOK HARD AT THE
LICENSING PROJECT BECAUSE WE
BELIEVE BC COMPANIES, BC PEOPLE
SHOULD BE PUT FIRST, NOT THE
MULTINATIONALS WHO ARE BASED
ELSEWHERE.
>> Jennifer: Mr. HORGAN, YOU
HAVE THE FLOOR.
>> THANK YOU, JENNIFER.
I HAVE WORKED IN THE FOREST
INDUSTRY.
I REPRESENT A FORMER FORESTRY
COMMUNITY THAT NO LONGER IS A
FORESTRY COMMUNITY BECAUSE THE
LOGS ARE LEAVING THE COMMUNITY
AND GOING OFFSHORE.
THAT'S THE BC LIBERAL LEGACY.
Ms. CLARK HAD TWO AND A HALF
YEARS TO STAND UP FOR FOREST
WORKERS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA AND
SHE CHOSE NOT TO.
SHE COULD HAVE GONE TO
WASHINGTON LIKE THE PREMIER OF
ALBERTA AND THE PREMIER OF
SASKATCHEWAN, TO DEFEND OUR
INTERESTS AGAINST A
PROTECTIONIST ADMINISTRATION.
SHE CHOSE NOT TO.
MY COMMITMENT TO FOREST WORKERS
AND PEOPLE DEPENDING ON A DEAL
TO MAKE SURE THAT WE CAN
CONTINUE TO THRIVE AND PROSPER
WITH OUR RENEWABLE RESOURCE SO
MAKE SURE I'M WORKING ON IT
EVERY SINGLE DAY, MAKE SURE I
HAVE YOUR BACK, FIGHTING FOR
YOUR AND FIGHTING FOR A DEAL FOR
BRITISH COLUMBIA'S FOUNDATIONAL
INDUSTRY.
IT'S CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TO ME
AND BRITISH COLUMBIANS.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU VERY
MUCH.
WE'LL MOVE ON TO YOUR NEXT
QUESTION NOW.
AND IT IS REGARDING THE FENTANYL
CRISIS.
IT'S FROM JACQUES MAREUX IN
VANCOUVER.
HIS QUESTION IS: MY FAMILY
TEMPORARILY MOVED TO CHINATOWN
IN FROM POINT GREY, GROUND ZERO
OF THE OPIOID CRISIS.
EVERY TIME WE HEAR A SIREN, WE
THINK SOMEONE ELSE HAS DIED.
WHAT WOULD YOU DO TO ADDRESS THE
PROBLEM?
ANDREW WEAVER WILL START OFF BY
US, FOLLOWED BY JOHN HORGAN AND
CHRISTY CLARK.
Mr. WEAVER.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE KWECHLT
IT'S A GREAT QUESTION.
THIS PROBLEM HAS THREE ASPECTS
TO IT.
NUMBER ONE IS THE ISSUE OF
PREVENTION.
NUMBER TWO, HARM REDUCTION AND
NUMBER THREE, THE PATHWAY TO
RECOVERY.
THE BC GREENS RECOGNIZE AN OUNCE
OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND
OF CURE.
WE HAVE MADE A PROMISE TO INVEST
$4 BILLION IN OUR PUBLIC
EDUCATION SYSTEM.
WE HAVE A GENERATION OF CHILDREN
WHO HAVE GONE THROUGH THE
SYSTEM, WHO HAD THOSE SERVICES
TAKEN AWAY FROM THEM.
THEY HAVEN'T HAD THE
PSYCHOLOGICAL SERVICES.
THEY CAN'T GET ASSESSED AND
PROBLEMS DEVELOP IF YOU DON'T
HAVE THE SERVICES WHEN CHILDREN
ARE YOUNG.
THE HARM REDUCTION IS ACTUALLY
BEING DEALT WITH WELL BY THE BC
LIBERALS BUT WE ALSO NEED A
PATHWAY TO RECOVERY AND THAT'S
WHY WE ARE INVESTING AND
CREATING A SEPARATE MINISTRY OF
ADDICTIONS AND MENTAL HEALTH TO
PULL THAT OUT OF THE HEALTH CARE
BUDGET TO ENSURE THAT REMAINS A
PRIORITY FOR US.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. WEAVER.
Mr. HORGAN?
>> THANK YOU.
I WAS AT A TOWN HALL MEETING
LAST WEEK IN VICTORIA WHEN A
MOTHER AND FATHER ASKED ME WHAT
WE WERE GOING TO DO AS A LEGACY
FOR THEIR DAUGHTER WHO DIED AS A
RESULT OF THE OPIOID CRISIS?
900 OTHER FAMILIES HAD THE SAME
QUESTION FOR GOVERNMENTS, AND I
BELIEVE THIS IS A CRITICALLY
IMPORTANT ISSUE.
WE ARE GOING TO MAKE SURE THAT
IN THE BC NDP GOVERNMENT THERE'S
A CHAMPION WHO GETS UP EVERY
SINGLE DAY AND MAKES SURE THAT
MENTAL HEALTH AND ADDICTIONS
ISSUES ARE AT THE FRONT OF THEIR
AGENDA.
THAT'S CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TO
SUCCESS.
THIS IS A MENTAL HEALTH AND
ADDICTIONS CRISIS HAPPENING IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
AND WE NEED TO TAKE IMMEDIATE
ACTION.
SAFE INJECTION SITES IS
CRITICALLY IMPORTANT,
ENFORCEMENT TO MAKE SURE
FENTANYL IS NOT COMING IN THE
COUNTRY, AND WORKING WITH THE
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND USING THE
MONEY OFFERED.
IT'S SITTING IN AN ENVELOPE
SOMEWHERE WAITING FOR ACTION.
WE NEED TO TAKE ACTION NOW.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. HORGAN.
AND NOW THE QUESTION GOES TO
CHRISTY CLARK.
>> THANKS TO JACQUES FOR THE
QUESTION, BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS
SOMETHING THAT MANY, MANY, MANY
PEOPLE ACROSS THE PROVINCE ARE
DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT.
I'M A MOTHER.
I AM DEEPLY CONCERNED ABOUT IT
TOO.
AND I -- I DO THINK THAT THERE
ARE SOME THINGS THAT ARE REALLY
ABOVE POLITICS.
NOT THAT WE DON'T TALK ABOUT
THEM IN DEBATES.
WE SHOULD.
BUT WE SHOULDN'T PLAY POLITICS
WITH THAT.
BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE LOSING THEIR
LIVES.
OVER A THOUSAND PEOPLE SO FAR,
OR ABOUT A THOUSAND PEOPLE SO
FAR, HAVE LOST THEIR LIVES TO
OPIOIDS.
WE ARE LEADING THE CONTINENT IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
A HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS SPENT
ON SUPPORTING PEOPLE, FINDING
THEIR WAY TO RECOVERY AND SAVING
LIVES.
AND I KNOW THAT MANY PEOPLE
THINK, WELL, WHY YOU HELPING
PEOPLE WHO PUT DRUGS IN THEIR
BODY; NOBODY USE DRUGS.
BUT WE SHOULD REMEMBER THAT
EVERY SINGLE PERSON THAT DIED IS
LOVED BY SOMEBODY AND THEY
DESERVE OUR HELP.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
WE WILL CHANGE GEARS SLIGHTLY.
OUR NEXT QUESTION IS ONE FROM
JACKLIN MURRAY IN DELTA AND THIS
IS ONE OF MANY WHO WANTED TO
TALK ABOUT POLLING AND TRAFFIC
GRIDLOCK AND DRIVING IN THIS
PROVINCE.
SHE WANTED TO KNOW WHY JUST A
FEW CROSSINGS HAVE TOLLS, AND
SHE ASKS, IF IT WOULDN'T MAKE
SENSE TO HAVE MINIMAL TOLLS ON
ALL CROSSINGS.
JOHN HORGAN STARTS OFF FOLLOWED
BY Ms. CLARK AND THEN
Mr. WEAVER.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION
AND I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.
THAT'S WHY WE'RE ELIMINATING THE
TOLLS ON THE PORTMAN AND THE
GOLDEN EARS BRIDGE TO STOP THE
CONGESTION MOVING TO THE
PATTULLO BRIDGE AND ALEX FRASER.
PEOPLE CAN'T AFFORD TO CROSS THE
RIVER; THEREFORE THEY ARE GOING
TO OTHER JURISDICTIONS.
THE LIBERALS BUILT A FOUR AND A
HALF BILLION BRIDGE AND EXPECTED
ONE GROUP OF CITIZENS TO PAY FOR
IT.
WE'RE NOT PAYING TOLLS ON THE
SEA-TO-SKY HIGHWAY, ON THE NEW
BRIDGE IN KELOWNA.
I BELIEVE THAT PUBLIC
INFRASTRUCTURE BELONGS TO ALL
BRITISH COLUMBIANS.
WE HAVE TO MAKE SURE THAT WE
HAVE A COHERENT PLAN TO BUILD
FOR THE NEXT GENERATION AND WE
HAVE A CAPITAL PLAN THAT WILL
PUT 96,000 PEOPLE TO WORK,
BUILDING NEW TRANSIT, NEW
INFRASTRUCTURE IN THE LOWER
MAINLAND AND RIGHT ACROSS
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
I THINK THAT'S GOOD FOR OUR
ECONOMY.
IT'S GOOD FOR OUR ENVIRONMENT AS
WELL.
>> Jennifer: Ms. CLARK.
>> THANK YOU.
BUT I SHOULD ADD, Mr. HORGAN HAS
OPPOSED ALMOST EVERY OTHER
PUBLIC INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT
THAT'S GOTTEN UNDERWAY SINCE HE
HAS BEEN IN THE LEGISLATURE
INCLUDING THE REPLACEMENT FOR
THE GEORGE MASSEY BRIDGE, THE
PORT MANN BRIDGE, SITE C, AND
THE SEA-TO-SKY HIGHWAY.
ON THE TOLL PLAN, OUR PARTY IS
THE ONLY ONE WITH A FULLY
COSTED, BELIEVABLE PLAN TO MAKE
SURE THAT WE SUPPORT PEOPLE
MAKING FREQUENT COMMUTE, IN
MAKING LIFE A BIT MORE
AFFORDABLE.
UP TO ABOUT $1,100 SAVINGS BY
CAPPING TOLLS AT $500.
THE NDP PLAN IS TO LOOT THE
PROSPERITY FUND, OUR CHILDREN'S
INHERITANCE OF $500 MILLION AND
THEN AFTER, THAT TAX EVERYBODY
IN BRITISH COLUMBIA TO PAY FOR
TOLLS DOWN IN THE LOWER
MAINLAND.
I DON'T THINK THAT'S THE RIGHT
WAY TO GO.
>> Jennifer: AND Mr. WEAVER,
YOUR RESPONSE TO THE QUESTION
FROM OUR VIEWER.
>> YES.
THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
YOU KNOW, THIS IS PART OF THE
PROBLEM WITH POLITICS IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA.
ON THE ONE HAND, JUST BEFORE AN
ELECTION, YOU HAVE THE NDP
TRYING TO BUY VOTES.
ON THE OTHER HAND YOU HAVE THE
BC LIBERALS TRYING TO DO THE
SAME THING.
WE RECOGNIZE THOSE TOLLS WERE
PUT IN PLACE FOR A REASON.
GOOD PUBLIC POLICY ENSURES THAT
YOU ACTUALLY USE YOUR -- THE
TOOLS YOU HAVE TO ACTUALLY PAY
FOR THE INFRASTRUCTURE YOU ARE
DEVELOPING, TO ACTUALLY ENSURE
THAT -- WE WANT TO ENCOURAGE
PEOPLE TO GET OUT OF THE CARS.
THAT'S WHY THE GREEN APPROACH IS
TO INVEST HEAVILY IN PUBLIC
TRANSPORTATION.
WE WILL BE MEETING THE MAYORS'
TEN-YEAR PLAN BECAUSE THAT IS
THE REAL ISSUE.
PEOPLE CANNOT GET OUT OF THE
CARS IF THEY DON'T HAVE THE
OPPORTUNITY TO GET OUT OF THE
CARS.
THAT IS THE BC GREEN APPROACH.
IT'S NOT CYNICAL VOTE BUYING OR
VOTE GETTING.
IT'S TO ACTUALLY DO WHAT'S IN
THE BEST INTEREST OF PUBLIC
THROUGH GOOD PUBLIC POLICY.
>> Jennifer: WE HAVE ANOTHER
QUESTION FROM SOMEONE WHO WROTE
IN TO US.
PATRICIA BEATON OF NORTH
VANCOUVER WOULD LIKE TO KNOW, IF
YOUR PARTY IN PARTICULAR FORMS
THE NEXT GOVERNMENT, WHAT WILL
YOU DO TO SUPPORT YOUNG PEOPLE
WHO ARE AGING OUT OF FOSTER
CARE?
CHRISTY CLARK STARTS THIS ONE
FOLLOWED BY Mr. WEAVER AND THEN
Mr. HORGAN.
>> THANKS FOR THE QUESTION,
PATRICIA.
IT'S -- IT'S A REAL ISSUE IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA FOR YOUNG
PEOPLE WHO HAVE SPENT THEIR TIME
IN GOVERNMENT CARE, TRYING TO
FIND THEIR WAY AFTER THEY LEAVE
GOVERNMENT CARE.
AND, YOU KNOW, THE REALITY --
THE FACT IS GOVERNMENT DOESN'T
MAKE THE BEST PARENT.
WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE DO
EVERYTHING WE CAN -- AND WE
ARE -- TO MAKE SURE THAT FEWER
CHILDREN FIND THEIR WAY INTO
GOVERNMENT CARE BY SUPPORTING
FAMILIES IN DOING A BETTER JOB.
THAT'S HOW MY MOTHER SPENT MOST
OF HER VOLUNTEER HOURS AS I WAS
GROWING UP.
IF WE CAN'T AND WE RECOGNIZE WE
CAN'T DO THAT FOR EVERYONE, WE
NEED TO SUPPORT CHILDREN WHO ARE
IN CARE, ESPECIALLY AS THEY ARE
AGING OUT.
WE HAVE EXTENDED THE AMOUNT OF
TIME OVER WHICH WE CAN CONTINUE
TO SUPPORT THE CHILDREN WHO ARE
IN CARE AFTER THEY AGE OUT, AND
MAKE SURE THAT WE ARE SUPPORTING
THEM ALONG THE WAY IN FINDING
THEIR PATH WHICH IS SOMETIMES A
REALLY DIFFICULT ONE.
>> Jennifer: WE NEED TO STOP
YOU THERE IN THE INTEREST OF
TIME, Ms. CLARK, AND TO YOU
Mr. WEAVER, YOUR RESPONSE.
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
Ms. CLARK, YOUR GOVERNMENT HAS
NO CREDIBILITY ON PUTTING
FAMILIES FIRST OR DEALING WITH
CHILDREN IN FOSTER CARE.
FRANKLY IT'S SHOCKING WAS BEEN
TRANSPIRING OVER THE LAST FEW
YEARS.
THE BC GREENS HAVE A VERY CLEAR
PLAN.
WE RECOGNIZE THAT CHILDREN BORN
INTO SITUATIONS THAT THEY THIS
HAD NO CONTROL WITH NEED A
LITTLE HELPING HAND TO GET
THROUGH.
WE INTRODUCED THE CONCEPT OF
BASIC INCOME TO ENSURE THAT ALL
CHILDREN AGING OUT OF FOSTER
CARE WILL HAVE ACCESS TO BASIC
INCOME, WHICH WILL ENSURE THAT
THEY GET OFF TO A GOOD START.
IT'S A GREAT INVESTMENT IN OUR
YOUTH OF TODAY TO ENSURE THAT
WE'RE NOT DEALING WITH PROBLEMS
TOMORROW.
THAT'S WHY OUR WHOLE APPROACH IS
TO ACTUALLY INVEST IN
PREVENTION, GIVE PEOPLE A
FIGHTING CHANCE SO THAT WE'RE
NOT DEALING WITH PROBLEMS IN A
REACTIVE WAY WHICH BOTH THESE
OTHER PARTIES WILL DO.
>> Jennifer: Mr. HORGAN, YOU
HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO RESPOND
TO THE QUESTION FROM PATRICIA.
>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH AND THANK
YOU FOR THE QUESTION, PATRICIA.
ALEX GERVAIS AND CARLY FRASER
TOOK THEIR OWN LIVES BECAUSE
THEY WERE FEARFUL OF WHAT THEIR
LIVE WOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN THEY
AGED OUT OF CARE.
I THINK THAT'S THE CRITICAL
ISSUE THAT WE NEED TO FOCUS ON
HERE.
YOUNG PEOPLE ARE NOT GETTING THE
SUPPORTS THEY NEED WHEN THE
STATE IS RESPONSIBLE -- WHEN THE
STATE IS THE PARENT, WE HAVE A
FUNDAMENTAL OBLIGATION, ALL OF
US, TO MAKE SURE THOSE CHILDREN
ARE GETTING THE BEST CARE
POSSIBLE, AND BRIDGED INTO THEIR
ADULTHOOD IF REQUIRED.
THE CHILDREN'S REPRESENTATIVE,
MARCH ELLE TURPEL-LAFOND LAV HAS
MADE RECOMMENDATIONS ABOUT
EXTENDING THE TIME KIDS HAVE
SUPPORTS AND REALIZE THEIR FULL
POTENTIAL.
THE LIBERALS HAVE IGNORED THOSE.
WE'RE NOT GOING TO DO THAT.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. HORGAN.
NEXT QUESTION FROM SHARON HALES
IN RICHMOND.
SHE WRITES, "THE NEW YORK TIMES"
BRANDED BC THE WILD WEST OF
POLITICAL DONATIONS.
WHAT WILL YOU DO TO ADDRESS THE
PERCEPTION THAT FAVOURS CAN BE
BOUGHT BY DONATIONS?
>> THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
FROM OUR PARTY, I THINK WE'RE
THE ONLY ONES WITH CLEAN HANDS
ON THIS.
WE RECOGNIZE THAT YOU CANNOT
TALK ABOUT BEING PRINCIPLED, YOU
CAN'T TALK -- TAKE THE HIGH ROAD
AND ARGUE AGAINST UNION AND
CORPORATE DONATIONS WHILE YOU
CONTINUE TO DO IT YOURSELF.
I HAVE TURNED DOWN I DON'T KNOW
HOW MANY CORPORATE DONATIONS AND
THE REASON WHY WE HAVE DONE THIS
IS BECAUSE WE BELIEVE IT'S
WRONG.
THE BC NDP WILL CRITICIZE THE
LIBERALS FOR DOING THIS AND
THEY'LL STILL HAVE THE SAME
$5,000 A PLATE PER-MEAL PAY FOR
ACCESS EVENTS AND ACCEPT 1.8
MILLION FROM THE -- $1.7 MILLION
FROM THE UNITED STEELWORKERS AND
STAFF BEING PAID BY THEM TO RUN
THE CAMPAIGN.
WHO IS SETTING THE STAGE?
THE KEY DECISIONS IN THE
CAMPAIGN ARE BEING MADE BY THE
STEELWORKERS WHO ARE DROPPED
INTO THE -- THIS IS WRONG.
AND BC GREENS RECOGNIZE THE
PRINCIPLED APPROACH IS DOING
SOMETHING ABOUT IT OURSELVES.
LEADERS LEAD.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. WEAVER.
Mr. HORGAN.
>> THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
SIX TIMES WE HAVE TABLED
LEGISLATION IN OUR LEGISLATURE
TO BAN BIG MONEY IN POLITICS.
STOP UNION DONATIONS.
STOP CORPORATE DONATIONS.
CAP INDIVIDUAL DONATIONS AND THE
BC LIBERALS SAID NO.
THEY SAID NO BECAUSE THEY LIKE
IT THIS WAY.
Ms. CLARK SAID NO BECAUSE SHE
HAS HAD A $300,000 SALARY TOP-UP
OVER THE PAST SIX YEARS AS SHE
HAS BEEN THE LEADER OF THE BC
LIBERAL PARTY.
THAT'S UNACCEPTABLE.
IF YOU ARE SITTING DOWN IN THE
HOME OF THE FORMER CEO OF WARE
HOUSER, THE SAME COMPANY THAT
BROUGHT A PETITION AGAINST
FOREST WORKERS IN BRITISH
COLUMBIA, PEOPLE RIGHTLY SHOULD
BE CONCERNED ABOUT THAT.
WHEN A MINISTER OF MINES SITS
DOWN WITH MINE CORPORATIONS
INVITING LAWS -- VIOLATING LAWS,
YOU NEED TO CHANGE THAT.
THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GOING TO DO.
>> Jennifer: YOUR RESPONSE TO
SHARON HALES?
>> THANK YOU, SHARON.
I APPRECIATE THE QUESTION.
LISTENING TO JOHN HORGAN, YOU
MIGHT NOT REALIZE THAT HE HAS
TAKEN THE BIGGEST POLITICAL
DONATION IN BC HISTORY.
THREE OF HIS CAMPAIGN STAFF ARE
BEING PAID BY A UNION OUT OF
PITTSBURGH THAT IS FIGHTING WITH
DONALD TRUMP TO KILL FORESTRY
JOBS IN BRITISH COLUMBIA.
HE HAS TAKEN OVER $100,000 FROM
THE BCG E.U. AND NOW HE WANTS TO
PUT MARIJUANA IN OUR LIQUOR
STORES DESPITE THE FACT THAT NO
ONE IN NORTH AMERICA IS DOING
THAT.
THE SYSTEM NEEDS TO CHANGE SO WE
WILL APPOINT AN INDEPENDENT
PANEL -- NOT POLITICAL -- WHO
WILL MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS THAT
COULD BE UNANIMOUSLY ENDORSED BY
THE LEGISLATURE TO CHANGE THE
WAY FUNDRAISING IS DONE IN
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU, Ms.
CLARK.
LET'S MOVE TO A QUESTION FROM
WILLIE OLSEN FROM LANGLEY,
BRITISH COLUMBIA.
HE HAS A QUESTION ABOUT MEDICAL
WAIT LISTS AND HE SAYS, I SPEND
$14,000 ON KNEE OPERATIONS TO
WAIT FOR AN MRI AND SURGERY IN
THE PUBLIC SYSTEM WOULD HAVE
BEEN THREE AND A HALF YEARS.
I'M CONCERNED ABOUT THIS AS WELL
AS WASTE IN THE SYSTEM.
WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT
IT?
THIS QUESTION GOES FIRST TO
Mr. HORGAN, THEN Ms. CLARK AND
Mr. WEAVER FOR 45 SECONDS EACH.
>> BC LIBERALS IGNORING
CHALLENGES LIKE WAIT TIMES IN
OUR EMERGENCY ROOMS, WAIT TIMES
FOR SURGERIES IS A CRITICAL
PROBLEM IN THIS ELECTION AND
GOING FORWARD.
WE NEED TO MAKE SURE WE'RE
PROVIDING SERVICES FOR PEOPLE
THAT THEY NEED.
THAT'S WHY WE'RE PROPOSING TO
PUT IN PLACE URGENT CARE CENTRES
SO THAT WE CAN STOP THE CLOGGING
IN EMERGENCY ROOMS AND MAKE SURE
PEOPLE ARE GETTING TO WARDS AND
SURGERIES THAT THEY NEED.
I BELIEVE THAT'S THE SOLUTION.
BRING ON MORE HEALTH CARE
PROFESSIONALS TO MEET THE NEEDS
OF INDIVIDUAL PATIENTS.
NURSE PRACTITIONERS, THERAPISTS,
DIETITIANS.
EVERYONE IN THE CONTINUUM OF
CARE IN ONE FACILITY SO DOCTORS
CAN FOCUS ON SURGERIES THEY
NEED.
WE NEED TO INCREASE SURGERY
TIMES.
MEANS MORE OPERATING HOURS AND
INVESTMENT IN PUBLIC HEALTH
CARE.
THE BC LIBERALS ARE PREPARED TO
IGNORE THAT.
I'M NOT.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU.
Ms. CLARK?
>> THANK YOU.
WELL, Mr. HORGAN DOESN'T TELL
YOU THAT WHEN HIS GUYS WERE LAST
IN GOVERNMENT, THEY DIDN'T ADD A
SINGLE NEW SPACE FOR DOCTORS TO
BE TRAINED.
THEY CUT 1600 FULL-TIME NURSES
AND WORST OF ALL, THEY CUT A
THIRD OF THE BEDS IN BC
HOSPITALS AND THE REASON THEY
DID THAT IS BECAUSE WE RAN OUT
OF MONEY.
THEY WERE SPENDING SO MUCH OF
YOUR MONEY THAT THEY RAN OUT AND
THEY HAD TO CUT HEALTH CARE.
THAT IS THE WRONG WAY TO LOOK
AFTER OUR HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
WE HAVE SOME OF THE BEST HEALTH
OUTCOMES IN CANADA.
UNDER THE NDP, THERE WAS -- THE
WAIT LIST WENT UP BY 110%.
WE ARE WORKING TO MAKE SURE WE
ARE INVESTING IN HEALTH CARE AND
WE'RE DOING THAT BECAUSE WE HAVE
A STRONG ECONOMY, BECAUSE WE'RE
INDICATING JOBS ACROSS THE
PROVINCE THAT GIVES US THE MEANS
TO BUILD HOSPITALS, TO TRAIN
DOCTORS AND MAKE SURE WE'RE
LOOKING AFTER PEOPLE.
>> Jennifer: AND WE WILL LEAVE
IT AT THAT.
BUT WE HAVE ONE MORE QUESTION
THAT WE HEARD MORE THAN ONCE.
OH, I'M SORRY, Mr. WEAVER,
PARDON ME, GO AHEAD.
>> YEAH.
THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
IT'S A COMPLEX QUESTION AND 45
SECONDS IS DIFFICULT TO DEAL
WITH IT.
I ENCOURAGE YOU TO LOOK AT THE
PLATFORM.
THROWING MORE MONEY AT THE
SYSTEM IN A TOP-DOWN MANNER IS
NOT ACTUALLY DEALING WITH THE
ISSUES IN HEALTH CARE.
OUR APPROACH IS MORE
COMMUNITY-BASED, TO ACTUALLY
BUILD FROM THE BOTTOM UP,
COMMUNITY HEALTH CENTRES,
ONE-STOP SHOPPING CENTRES, WHICH
WILL PULL THE -- WILL PULL A LOT
OF THE PRESSURES THAT ARE IN OUR
ACUTE FACILITIES OUT OF THE
HOSPITALS, TO ENSURE THAT
THERE'S MORE ROOM THERE.
WE ALSO BELIEVE THAT WE NEED TO
SEPARATE CHRONIC AND ACUTE
HEALTH CARE.
SO WE'RE ALSO GOING TO TAKE
MEASURES TO ENSURE THAT THE
CHRONIC CARE BEING DONE IN THE
HEALTH CARE SYSTEM IS ACTUALLY
TAKEN OUT OF THE HOSPITALS AND
INTO THE RIGHT PLACE.
AND ALSO WE HAVE MEASURES TO
ACTUALLY ENSURE THAT PEOPLE CAN
STAY IN HOMES.
SO THANK YOU FOR THE QUESTION.
>> Jennifer: THANK YOU,
Mr. WEAVER.
WE'RE GOING TO ASK THE LEADERS
TO KEEP THE NEXT QUESTION TO 30
SECONDS AS WE ARE GETTING INTO A
BIT OF A TIME CRUNCH.
THIS QUESTION FROM KELOWNA:
WILL YOU CHANGE FAMILY DAY SO IT
ALIGNS WITH THE OTHER PROVINCES.
[ Laughter ]
>> THANK YOU,.
I WAS PROUD TO INTRODUCE FAMILY
DAY.
I WANTED TO MAKE SURE THERE WAS
A DAY FOR FAMILIES TO BE
TOGETHER AND THE REASON WE CHOSE
THE DAY THAT WE DID IS WE DID --
WELL, WE DID A PUBLIC PROCESS.
WE ASKED PEOPLE TO VOTE ONLINE,
AND THE VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE
VOTED IN FAVOUR OF THE DAY THAT
WE HAVE.
AND, YOU KNOW, ONE OF THE
REASONS THAT DAY IS SO GREAT IS
IT'S DIFFERENT IN OTHER
PROVINCES.
SO YOU KNOW WHAT, WHEN YOU GO TO
THE SKI HILL, BIG WHITE IN
KELOWNA, YOU ARE NOT IN HUGE
LINEUP WITH A BUNCH OF FOLKS
FROM AROUND THE REST OF THE
COUNTRY.
>> Jennifer: Mr. WEAVER, YOU
HAVE 30 SECONDS.
>> THANK YOU FOR RAISING THAT
BECAUSE THE REAL REASON WE HAVE
FAMILY DAY ON A DIFFERENT DAY IS
BECAUSE THE SKI INDUSTRY
LOBBYISTS WANT TO YOUR
GOVERNMENT AND WANTED IT TO BE
SO.
THE REST OF CANADA AND THE U.S.
IS WORKING ON OUR FAMILY DAY, SO
THEY ARE TAKING OFF THE -- ON
THEIR FAMILY DAY, OUR PEOPLE
HAVE TO GO TO WORK AND THERE'S
NOTHING TO DO.
IT'S OUTRAGEOUS.
SO NOT ONLY DO I AGREE WITH
THAT; I INTRODUCED A PRIVATE
MEMBER'S BILL THIS PAST SESSION
TO DO PRECISELY THAT.
BRING FAMILY ACROSS CANADA TO BE
THE SAME
>> Jennifer: Mr. HORGAN, 30
SECONDS.
>> ABSOLUTELY.
AGAIN, Ms. CLARK HAD A BOGUS
CONSULTATION AND SAID WE'RE
GOING TO DO IT ON THAT DAY.
I AGREE WITH Mr. WEAVER AND THE
VAST MAJORITY OF PEOPLE ACROSS