Placeholder Image

Subtitles section Play video

  • Egypt will be temporarily closing the case file on the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni.

  • Prosecutors there and in Italy said in a joint statement that the person who killed him is still unknown.

  • Regeni vanished in Cairo in January 2016.

  • His body was found almost a week later.

  • Onda postmortem examination showed he had been tortured before his death.

  • There's contention between his home country and Egypt over who the culprit might be.

  • Theo Gyptian public prosecutor, says it has evidence against a criminal gang accused of robbing the 28 year old Cambridge University student, but as of Monday, it said the material perpetrator of the murder remains unknown.

  • Meanwhile, Rooms Prosecutor's office was wrapping up its own separate investigation into five Egyptian security agents it suspects in the case.

  • The statement said it would shortly present its findings to a judge.

  • A legal source told Reuters that they're expected to push for the trial of some or all of the five.

  • Egypt's public prosecutor maintains there is insufficient evidence to bring the case to court.

  • Regiones family called the statement the quote umpteenth slap in the face from Egyptian authorities.

  • Intelligence and security sources told Reuters back in 2016 that police had arrested re Janey outside a Cairo metro station before transferring him to a compound run by Homeland Security.

  • The police deny this on.

  • Egyptian officials have also denied any involvement in Regeni's murder.

Egypt will be temporarily closing the case file on the murder of Italian student Giulio Regeni.

Subtitles and vocabulary

Operation of videos Adjust the video here to display the subtitles

B2 egypt egyptian prosecutor murder cairo statement

Unsolved murder case of Italian in Egypt closed

  • 1 0
    林宜悉 posted on 2020/12/01
Video vocabulary