A2 Basic US 17 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
♪♪
ANYTHING THAT IMPRESSIVE FROM A SIMPLE COIN.
SIMPLE COIN.
SIMPLE COIN. >> SUCH FINE TECHNIQUES ARE
>> SUCH FINE TECHNIQUES ARE
>> SUCH FINE TECHNIQUES ARE INCORPORATED IN THE 500 YEN
INCORPORATED IN THE 500 YEN
INCORPORATED IN THE 500 YEN COIN.
COIN.
COIN. AND YET IT'S PRODUCED WITH JUST
AND YET IT'S PRODUCED WITH JUST
AND YET IT'S PRODUCED WITH JUST ONE PRESSING.
ONE PRESSING.
ONE PRESSING. THE PATTERNS ARE ENGRAVED BY A
THE PATTERNS ARE ENGRAVED BY A
THE PATTERNS ARE ENGRAVED BY A HIGH PRESSURE STAMPING MACHINE.
HIGH PRESSURE STAMPING MACHINE.
HIGH PRESSURE STAMPING MACHINE. ALL THE PATTERNS ARE FORMED IN A
ALL THE PATTERNS ARE FORMED IN A
ALL THE PATTERNS ARE FORMED IN A SINGLE PRESSING.
SINGLE PRESSING.
SINGLE PRESSING. ANOTHER AMAZING TECHNOLOGY IS
ANOTHER AMAZING TECHNOLOGY IS
ANOTHER AMAZING TECHNOLOGY IS USED HERE.
USED HERE.
USED HERE. AS THE COIN IS RELEASED FROM THE
AS THE COIN IS RELEASED FROM THE
AS THE COIN IS RELEASED FROM THE MOLD, IT'S TURNED SLIGHTLY SO
MOLD, IT'S TURNED SLIGHTLY SO
MOLD, IT'S TURNED SLIGHTLY SO THAT DIAGONAL GROOVES ARE ETCHED
THAT DIAGONAL GROOVES ARE ETCHED
THAT DIAGONAL GROOVES ARE ETCHED ON ITS SIDE.
ON ITS SIDE.
ON ITS SIDE. THIS IS CALLED THE HELICOMB
THIS IS CALLED THE HELICOMB
THIS IS CALLED THE HELICOMB MILLING PROCESS AND IT'S A
MILLING PROCESS AND IT'S A
MILLING PROCESS AND IT'S A GLOBAL FIRST.
GLOBAL FIRST.
GLOBAL FIRST. 13 COINS ARE PRODUCED EACH
13 COINS ARE PRODUCED EACH
13 COINS ARE PRODUCED EACH SECOND.
SECOND.
SECOND. >> THIS MUST BE A LOT OF WORK,
>> THIS MUST BE A LOT OF WORK,
>> THIS MUST BE A LOT OF WORK, BUT WHY DID YOU MAKE IT
BUT WHY DID YOU MAKE IT
BUT WHY DID YOU MAKE IT DIAGONAL?
DIAGONAL?
DIAGONAL? >> IT'S MEANT TO PREVENT
>> IT'S MEANT TO PREVENT
>> IT'S MEANT TO PREVENT COUNTERFEITING.
COUNTERFEITING.
COUNTERFEITING. COUNTERFEITING STARTS WITH
COUNTERFEITING STARTS WITH
COUNTERFEITING STARTS WITH MAKING MOLDS FROM GENUINE COINS.
MAKING MOLDS FROM GENUINE COINS.
MAKING MOLDS FROM GENUINE COINS. BUT THESE DETAILED CONTOURS
BUT THESE DETAILED CONTOURS
BUT THESE DETAILED CONTOURS CANNOT BE REPRODUCED THAT WAY.
CANNOT BE REPRODUCED THAT WAY.
CANNOT BE REPRODUCED THAT WAY. SO THIS COIN IS QUITE DIFFICULT
SO THIS COIN IS QUITE DIFFICULT
SO THIS COIN IS QUITE DIFFICULT TO COPY.
TO COPY.
TO COPY. >> THE FORMER 500 YEN COIN
>> THE FORMER 500 YEN COIN
>> THE FORMER 500 YEN COIN SUFFERED COUNTERFEITING IN THE
SUFFERED COUNTERFEITING IN THE
SUFFERED COUNTERFEITING IN THE 1990s.
1990s.
1990s. SO A NEW MATERIAL AND COMPLEX
SO A NEW MATERIAL AND COMPLEX
SO A NEW MATERIAL AND COMPLEX ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TECHNIQUES
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TECHNIQUES
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING TECHNIQUES WERE ADOPTED.
WERE ADOPTED.
WERE ADOPTED. AND THE RESULTING VERSION USED
AND THE RESULTING VERSION USED
AND THE RESULTING VERSION USED NOW IS SAID TO BE THE MOST
NOW IS SAID TO BE THE MOST
NOW IS SAID TO BE THE MOST COUNTERFEIT REPELLENT IN THE
COUNTERFEIT REPELLENT IN THE
COUNTERFEIT REPELLENT IN THE WORLD.
WORLD.
WORLD. JAPAN'S MINTING TECHNIQUES HAVE
JAPAN'S MINTING TECHNIQUES HAVE
JAPAN'S MINTING TECHNIQUES HAVE BEEN RECOGNIZED OVERSEAS.
BEEN RECOGNIZED OVERSEAS.
BEEN RECOGNIZED OVERSEAS. IN 2014, AN ORDER CAME FROM
IN 2014, AN ORDER CAME FROM
IN 2014, AN ORDER CAME FROM BANGLADESH TO PRODUCE 500
BANGLADESH TO PRODUCE 500
BANGLADESH TO PRODUCE 500 MILLION COINS.
MILLION COINS.
MILLION COINS. IN 2016, 14 MILLION GEORGIAN
IN 2016, 14 MILLION GEORGIAN
IN 2016, 14 MILLION GEORGIAN COINS WERE PRODUCED.
COINS WERE PRODUCED.
COINS WERE PRODUCED. >> I WAS SURPRISED THAT THESE
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT THESE
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT THESE COINS ARE NOT ONLY EXTREMELY
COINS ARE NOT ONLY EXTREMELY
COINS ARE NOT ONLY EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL IN DETAILS BUT THEY
BEAUTIFUL IN DETAILS BUT THEY
BEAUTIFUL IN DETAILS BUT THEY ALSO HAVE VERY GREAT SAFETY
ALSO HAVE VERY GREAT SAFETY
ALSO HAVE VERY GREAT SAFETY FEATURES THAT PREVENT FRAUD.
FEATURES THAT PREVENT FRAUD.
FEATURES THAT PREVENT FRAUD. THE JAPANESE ARE TRYING TO MAKE
THE JAPANESE ARE TRYING TO MAKE
THE JAPANESE ARE TRYING TO MAKE THEM EVEN SAFER.
THEM EVEN SAFER.
THEM EVEN SAFER. I THINK THAT MAKES JAPANESE
I THINK THAT MAKES JAPANESE
I THINK THAT MAKES JAPANESE COINS SUPER COOL.
COINS SUPER COOL.
COINS SUPER COOL. BEAUTIFUL AND SAFE.
BEAUTIFUL AND SAFE.
BEAUTIFUL AND SAFE. >> WONDERFUL.
>> WONDERFUL.
>> WONDERFUL. >> DID YOU KNOW THIS?
>> DID YOU KNOW THIS?
>> DID YOU KNOW THIS? >> I DON'T THINK MANY JAPANESE
>> I DON'T THINK MANY JAPANESE
>> I DON'T THINK MANY JAPANESE KNOW.
KNOW.
KNOW. I BET THEY WERE SURPRISED.
I BET THEY WERE SURPRISED.
I BET THEY WERE SURPRISED. >> THEY'LL TAKE A BETTER LOOK
>> THEY'LL TAKE A BETTER LOOK
>> THEY'LL TAKE A BETTER LOOK NOW.
NOW.
NOW. >> MAKES ME WANT TO TELL
>> MAKES ME WANT TO TELL
>> MAKES ME WANT TO TELL SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS.
SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS.
SOMEBODY ABOUT THIS. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. ANNA WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY
ANNA WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY
ANNA WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT YOUR VISIT?
ABOUT YOUR VISIT?
ABOUT YOUR VISIT? >> IT WAS REALLY IMPRESSIVE.
>> IT WAS REALLY IMPRESSIVE.
>> IT WAS REALLY IMPRESSIVE. BECAUSE I USE JAPANESE COINS
BECAUSE I USE JAPANESE COINS
BECAUSE I USE JAPANESE COINS EVERY DAY AND I NEVER LOOKED AT
EVERY DAY AND I NEVER LOOKED AT
EVERY DAY AND I NEVER LOOKED AT IT CLOSELY AND I NEVER EXPECTED
IT CLOSELY AND I NEVER EXPECTED
IT CLOSELY AND I NEVER EXPECTED THIS.
THIS.
THIS. IT'S AMAZING HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS
IT'S AMAZING HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS
IT'S AMAZING HOW BEAUTIFUL IT IS AND WHAT THOUGHT IS BEHIND IT
AND WHAT THOUGHT IS BEHIND IT
AND WHAT THOUGHT IS BEHIND IT TOO.
TOO.
TOO. >> ALL RIGHT.
>> ALL RIGHT.
>> ALL RIGHT. WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE
WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THE MINTING TECHNOLOGIES, CRAIG,
MINTING TECHNOLOGIES, CRAIG,
MINTING TECHNOLOGIES, CRAIG, COOL?
COOL?
COOL? >> YES, THE DETAIL IN THE
>> YES, THE DETAIL IN THE
>> YES, THE DETAIL IN THE PRODUCTION AND HOW YOU CAN FIND
PRODUCTION AND HOW YOU CAN FIND
PRODUCTION AND HOW YOU CAN FIND THE 500 YEN.
THE 500 YEN.
THE 500 YEN. I NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE.
I NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE.
I NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE. SO, YEAH.
SO, YEAH.
SO, YEAH. >> IT WAS AMAZING, YEAH.
>> IT WAS AMAZING, YEAH.
>> IT WAS AMAZING, YEAH. JAPAN IS UNIQUE IN MAKING COINS
JAPAN IS UNIQUE IN MAKING COINS
JAPAN IS UNIQUE IN MAKING COINS THIS ADVANCED.
THIS ADVANCED.
THIS ADVANCED. >> OKAY.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY. WHO ELSE?
WHO ELSE?
WHO ELSE? >> THE ANTI-COUNTERFEITING
>> THE ANTI-COUNTERFEITING
>> THE ANTI-COUNTERFEITING MEASURES ARE ALSO VERY ARTISTIC.
MEASURES ARE ALSO VERY ARTISTIC.
MEASURES ARE ALSO VERY ARTISTIC. I THINK OTHER COUNTRIES MAY NOT
I THINK OTHER COUNTRIES MAY NOT
I THINK OTHER COUNTRIES MAY NOT PAY ATTENTION SO MUCH TO THE
PAY ATTENTION SO MUCH TO THE
PAY ATTENTION SO MUCH TO THE ARTISTIC VALUE OF THE
ARTISTIC VALUE OF THE
ARTISTIC VALUE OF THE ANTI-COUNTERFEITING MEASURES.
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING MEASURES.
ANTI-COUNTERFEITING MEASURES. I THINK JAPAN BLENDS THE TWO
I THINK JAPAN BLENDS THE TWO
I THINK JAPAN BLENDS THE TWO TOGETHER.
TOGETHER.
TOGETHER. IT'S AN ANTI-COUNTERFEIT MEASURE
IT'S AN ANTI-COUNTERFEIT MEASURE
IT'S AN ANTI-COUNTERFEIT MEASURE BUT IT'S VERY BEAUTIFUL AT THE
BUT IT'S VERY BEAUTIFUL AT THE
BUT IT'S VERY BEAUTIFUL AT THE SAME TIME.
SAME TIME.
SAME TIME. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK JAPANESE
DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK JAPANESE
DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK JAPANESE MONEY DESIGNS ARE BEAUTIFUL?
MONEY DESIGNS ARE BEAUTIFUL?
MONEY DESIGNS ARE BEAUTIFUL? WHO SAYS YES?
WHO SAYS YES?
WHO SAYS YES? REALLY?
REALLY?
REALLY? THIS IS SURPRISING.
THIS IS SURPRISING.
THIS IS SURPRISING. YOU'RE NOT JUST BEING NICE ARE
YOU'RE NOT JUST BEING NICE ARE
YOU'RE NOT JUST BEING NICE ARE YOU?
YOU?
YOU? ARE YOU BEING HONEST?
ARE YOU BEING HONEST?
ARE YOU BEING HONEST? >> AS I SAID BEFORE, BUT
>> AS I SAID BEFORE, BUT
>> AS I SAID BEFORE, BUT ACTUALLY OUR CURRENCY TENDS TO
ACTUALLY OUR CURRENCY TENDS TO
ACTUALLY OUR CURRENCY TENDS TO LOOK MORE AND MORE LIKE, YOU
LOOK MORE AND MORE LIKE, YOU
LOOK MORE AND MORE LIKE, YOU KNOW, MONOPOLY CURRENCY, GAME
KNOW, MONOPOLY CURRENCY, GAME
KNOW, MONOPOLY CURRENCY, GAME KIND OF THING.
KIND OF THING.
KIND OF THING. THIS LOOKS VERY, TRUSTWORTHY,
THIS LOOKS VERY, TRUSTWORTHY,
THIS LOOKS VERY, TRUSTWORTHY, VERY REAL YOU KNOW MONEY.
VERY REAL YOU KNOW MONEY.
VERY REAL YOU KNOW MONEY. ANCIENT.
ANCIENT.
ANCIENT. THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT.
THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT.
THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT. >> ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT THE
>> ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT THE
>> ONE THING I LOVE ABOUT THE COINS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO
COINS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO
COINS, ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO THE AMERICAN DOLLARS, THEY HAVE
THE AMERICAN DOLLARS, THEY HAVE
THE AMERICAN DOLLARS, THEY HAVE THE NUMBERS IN IT.
THE NUMBERS IN IT.
THE NUMBERS IN IT. LIKE IN THE U.S. DOLLARS THEY
LIKE IN THE U.S. DOLLARS THEY
LIKE IN THE U.S. DOLLARS THEY DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, YOU NEED TO
DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, YOU NEED TO
DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, YOU NEED TO READ HOW MUCH -- WHICH OF THEM
READ HOW MUCH -- WHICH OF THEM
READ HOW MUCH -- WHICH OF THEM IS WORTH IT.
IS WORTH IT.
IS WORTH IT. VERY, VERY HARD.
VERY, VERY HARD.
VERY, VERY HARD. >> THEY READ $0.25.
>> THEY READ $0.25.
>> THEY READ $0.25. IN LETTERS INSTEAD OF NUMERALS.
IN LETTERS INSTEAD OF NUMERALS.
IN LETTERS INSTEAD OF NUMERALS. >> THEY DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, THEY
>> THEY DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, THEY
>> THEY DON'T HAVE NUMBERS, THEY ONLY HAVE LETTERS.
ONLY HAVE LETTERS.
ONLY HAVE LETTERS. >> YEAH, THE SCENERY, THE
>> YEAH, THE SCENERY, THE
>> YEAH, THE SCENERY, THE NATURE, REALLY CAPTURED ALL THE
NATURE, REALLY CAPTURED ALL THE
NATURE, REALLY CAPTURED ALL THE JAPANESE BEAUTY INTO A SMALL
JAPANESE BEAUTY INTO A SMALL
JAPANESE BEAUTY INTO A SMALL PIECE OF PAPER.
PIECE OF PAPER.
PIECE OF PAPER. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. DO THEY REFLECT NATIONAL
DO THEY REFLECT NATIONAL
DO THEY REFLECT NATIONAL CHARACTERISTICS?
CHARACTERISTICS?
CHARACTERISTICS? WE ASKED THE PARTICIPANTS TO
WE ASKED THE PARTICIPANTS TO
WE ASKED THE PARTICIPANTS TO SHOW THEIR MONEY.
SHOW THEIR MONEY.
SHOW THEIR MONEY. >> IN THE COUNTRY WE USE
>> IN THE COUNTRY WE USE
>> IN THE COUNTRY WE USE PRESIDENTS.
PRESIDENTS.
PRESIDENTS. SO FOR BOTH MONEY AND COINS.
SO FOR BOTH MONEY AND COINS.
SO FOR BOTH MONEY AND COINS. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS A
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS A
IT DOESN'T MATTER IF HE WAS A GOOD PRESIDENT OR BAD PRESIDENT,
GOOD PRESIDENT OR BAD PRESIDENT,
GOOD PRESIDENT OR BAD PRESIDENT, HE'S ON THE MONEY.
HE'S ON THE MONEY.
HE'S ON THE MONEY. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> WHAT I REALLY THINK ABOUT THE
>> WHAT I REALLY THINK ABOUT THE
>> WHAT I REALLY THINK ABOUT THE JAPANESE PEOPLE MONEY, IS THE
JAPANESE PEOPLE MONEY, IS THE
JAPANESE PEOPLE MONEY, IS THE FACT THAT YOU USE HIGH PEOPLE
FACT THAT YOU USE HIGH PEOPLE
FACT THAT YOU USE HIGH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ACHIEVED MUCH.
WHO HAVE ACHIEVED MUCH.
WHO HAVE ACHIEVED MUCH. FOR INSTANCE, YOU HAVE NOGUCHI
FOR INSTANCE, YOU HAVE NOGUCHI
FOR INSTANCE, YOU HAVE NOGUCHI OKAY.
OKAY.
OKAY. WHO ARE THOSE ON YOUR BILLS?
WHO ARE THOSE ON YOUR BILLS?
WHO ARE THOSE ON YOUR BILLS? >> THIS IS AN OPERA SINGER AND
>> THIS IS AN OPERA SINGER AND
>> THIS IS AN OPERA SINGER AND THIS IS A WRITER.
THIS IS A WRITER.
THIS IS A WRITER. I THINK SO YEAH.
I THINK SO YEAH.
I THINK SO YEAH. >> THEY'RE WOMEN.
>> THEY'RE WOMEN.
>> THEY'RE WOMEN. >> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING. SO THE OPERA SINGER IS
SO THE OPERA SINGER IS
SO THE OPERA SINGER IS NATIONALLY POPULAR FIGURE?
NATIONALLY POPULAR FIGURE?
NATIONALLY POPULAR FIGURE? >> SHE I ONLY HEARD OF BECAUSE
>> SHE I ONLY HEARD OF BECAUSE
>> SHE I ONLY HEARD OF BECAUSE OF THE 100 BILL, ACTUALLY.
OF THE 100 BILL, ACTUALLY.
OF THE 100 BILL, ACTUALLY. BUT NOW THEY ARE CHANGING.
BUT NOW THEY ARE CHANGING.
BUT NOW THEY ARE CHANGING. >> THESE ARE THE NEW NORWEGIAN
>> THESE ARE THE NEW NORWEGIAN
>> THESE ARE THE NEW NORWEGIAN BILLS THAT ARE DUE FOR ISSUE IN
BILLS THAT ARE DUE FOR ISSUE IN
BILLS THAT ARE DUE FOR ISSUE IN 2017.
2017.
2017. THE FRONT SIDES HAVE MARINE
THE FRONT SIDES HAVE MARINE
THE FRONT SIDES HAVE MARINE THEMES.
THEMES.
THEMES. THERE ARE PATTERNS ON THE BACK.
THERE ARE PATTERNS ON THE BACK.
THERE ARE PATTERNS ON THE BACK. THEY'RE DRAWING HIGH ATTENTION
THEY'RE DRAWING HIGH ATTENTION
THEY'RE DRAWING HIGH ATTENTION AS BEING INNOVATIVE.
AS BEING INNOVATIVE.
AS BEING INNOVATIVE. >> IS EVERYONE HAPPY IN NORWAY
>> IS EVERYONE HAPPY IN NORWAY
>> IS EVERYONE HAPPY IN NORWAY ABOUT THE DESIGNS CHANGING FROM
ABOUT THE DESIGNS CHANGING FROM
ABOUT THE DESIGNS CHANGING FROM NOTABLE FIGURES TO PATTERNS?
NOTABLE FIGURES TO PATTERNS?
NOTABLE FIGURES TO PATTERNS? >> I DON'T KNOW.
>> I DON'T KNOW.
>> I DON'T KNOW. I LIKE IT TO BE MORE CLASSIC
I LIKE IT TO BE MORE CLASSIC
I LIKE IT TO BE MORE CLASSIC LIKE THIS OR EVEN BETTER, THE
LIKE THIS OR EVEN BETTER, THE
LIKE THIS OR EVEN BETTER, THE YEN.
YEN.
YEN. >> OKAY, WHAT ELSE?
>> OKAY, WHAT ELSE?
>> OKAY, WHAT ELSE? OTHER THAN POLITICIANS.
OTHER THAN POLITICIANS.
OTHER THAN POLITICIANS. >> IN BRAZIL, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE
>> IN BRAZIL, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE
>> IN BRAZIL, THEY ACTUALLY HAVE ANIMALS AND NATURE.
ANIMALS AND NATURE.
ANIMALS AND NATURE. >> NO HUMANS?
>> NO HUMANS?
>> NO HUMANS? >> NO.
>> NO.
>> NO. ON THE OTHER SIDE, THERE IS A
ON THE OTHER SIDE, THERE IS A
ON THE OTHER SIDE, THERE IS A FACE.
FACE.
FACE. BUT THIS IS NOT SOMEONE.
BUT THIS IS NOT SOMEONE.
BUT THIS IS NOT SOMEONE. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> ALL THE OTHERS HAVE
>> ALL THE OTHERS HAVE
>> ALL THE OTHERS HAVE POLITICIANS, THE CHINESE BILLS
POLITICIANS, THE CHINESE BILLS
POLITICIANS, THE CHINESE BILLS HAVE POLITICIANS.
HAVE POLITICIANS.
HAVE POLITICIANS. AND THAT'S LINCOLN.
AND THAT'S LINCOLN.
AND THAT'S LINCOLN. >> MOST OF OUR CURRENCY HAS
>> MOST OF OUR CURRENCY HAS
>> MOST OF OUR CURRENCY HAS PRESIDENT'S FACES.
PRESIDENT'S FACES.
PRESIDENT'S FACES. AND IN FACT, THE U.S. IS
AND IN FACT, THE U.S. IS
AND IN FACT, THE U.S. IS CURRENTLY REDESIGNING THE BILLS
CURRENTLY REDESIGNING THE BILLS
CURRENTLY REDESIGNING THE BILLS TO HAVE MORE WITHOUT PRESIDENTS,
TO HAVE MORE WITHOUT PRESIDENTS,
TO HAVE MORE WITHOUT PRESIDENTS, IN FACT.
IN FACT.
IN FACT. THEY'RE LOOKING AT PEOPLE LIKE
THEY'RE LOOKING AT PEOPLE LIKE
THEY'RE LOOKING AT PEOPLE LIKE MARTIN LUTHER KING JR..
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR..
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.. >> REALLY?
>> REALLY?
>> REALLY? >> OTHER FAMOUS AMERICANS
>> OTHER FAMOUS AMERICANS
>> OTHER FAMOUS AMERICANS INSTEAD OF USING -- RIGHT.
INSTEAD OF USING -- RIGHT.
INSTEAD OF USING -- RIGHT. >> PROFESSOR?
>> PROFESSOR?
>> PROFESSOR? >> YES, JAPANESE MONEY DEPICTS
>> YES, JAPANESE MONEY DEPICTS
>> YES, JAPANESE MONEY DEPICTS NATURE, BUT IT'S MOSTLY PLANTS
NATURE, BUT IT'S MOSTLY PLANTS
NATURE, BUT IT'S MOSTLY PLANTS AND THAT'S A VERY INTERESTING
AND THAT'S A VERY INTERESTING
AND THAT'S A VERY INTERESTING FACT, ACTUALLY.
FACT, ACTUALLY.
FACT, ACTUALLY. TAKE THE RICE STALKS FOR
TAKE THE RICE STALKS FOR
TAKE THE RICE STALKS FOR EXAMPLE.
EXAMPLE.
EXAMPLE. THE 500 YEN COIN IS SIMILAR.
THE 500 YEN COIN IS SIMILAR.
THE 500 YEN COIN IS SIMILAR. PERHAPS IT'S ALL ABOUT THE
PERHAPS IT'S ALL ABOUT THE
PERHAPS IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BLESSINGS OF NATURE.
BLESSINGS OF NATURE.
BLESSINGS OF NATURE. RICE IS SYMBOLIC OF JAPAN.
RICE IS SYMBOLIC OF JAPAN.
RICE IS SYMBOLIC OF JAPAN. THERE ARE ALSO IMAGES OF MOUNT
THERE ARE ALSO IMAGES OF MOUNT
THERE ARE ALSO IMAGES OF MOUNT FUJI.
FUJI.
FUJI. ALL ARE BEAUTIES OF NATURE.
ALL ARE BEAUTIES OF NATURE.
ALL ARE BEAUTIES OF NATURE. OUR MONEY DEPICTS WHAT WE
OUR MONEY DEPICTS WHAT WE
OUR MONEY DEPICTS WHAT WE CONSIDER BEAUTIFUL IN NATURE.
CONSIDER BEAUTIFUL IN NATURE.
CONSIDER BEAUTIFUL IN NATURE. MONEY IS SOMETHING BACKED UP BY
MONEY IS SOMETHING BACKED UP BY
MONEY IS SOMETHING BACKED UP BY POLITICAL AUTHORITY.
POLITICAL AUTHORITY.
POLITICAL AUTHORITY. SO IT SEEMS MORE NATURAL TO
SO IT SEEMS MORE NATURAL TO
SO IT SEEMS MORE NATURAL TO DEPICT POLITICAL FIGURES.
DEPICT POLITICAL FIGURES.
DEPICT POLITICAL FIGURES. BUT THIS IS NOT DONE IN JAPAN
BUT THIS IS NOT DONE IN JAPAN
BUT THIS IS NOT DONE IN JAPAN AND IT'S QUITE UNIQUE.
AND IT'S QUITE UNIQUE.
AND IT'S QUITE UNIQUE. I THINK THAT THE WAY THE
I THINK THAT THE WAY THE
I THINK THAT THE WAY THE JAPANESE REGARD MONEY IS HIDDEN
JAPANESE REGARD MONEY IS HIDDEN
JAPANESE REGARD MONEY IS HIDDEN SOMEWHERE IN THIS.
SOMEWHERE IN THIS.
SOMEWHERE IN THIS. >> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING. LET'S SEE, DAVID, WHAT DO YOU
LET'S SEE, DAVID, WHAT DO YOU
LET'S SEE, DAVID, WHAT DO YOU HAVE?
HAVE?
HAVE? >> I LOVE HOW JAPAN HAS NO
>> I LOVE HOW JAPAN HAS NO
>> I LOVE HOW JAPAN HAS NO TIPPING.
TIPPING.
TIPPING. THIS IS WHY I WANT TO LIVE HERE
THIS IS WHY I WANT TO LIVE HERE
THIS IS WHY I WANT TO LIVE HERE FOREVER.
FOREVER.
FOREVER. IN MY COUNTRY, THIS IS -- WE
IN MY COUNTRY, THIS IS -- WE
IN MY COUNTRY, THIS IS -- WE HAVE THIS VILE CUSTOM WHERE YOU
HAVE THIS VILE CUSTOM WHERE YOU
HAVE THIS VILE CUSTOM WHERE YOU HAVE TO ADD EXTRA MONEY AND IT'S
HAVE TO ADD EXTRA MONEY AND IT'S
HAVE TO ADD EXTRA MONEY AND IT'S JUST REALLY COMPLICATED, IT'S A
JUST REALLY COMPLICATED, IT'S A
JUST REALLY COMPLICATED, IT'S A BIG TO DO, EVERYBODY IS LIKE I
BIG TO DO, EVERYBODY IS LIKE I
BIG TO DO, EVERYBODY IS LIKE I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH TO PAY, I
DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH TO PAY, I
DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH TO PAY, I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THIS THING
DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THIS THING
DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH THIS THING IS.
IS.
IS. JAPAN IS SIMPLE, CLEAN, NO
JAPAN IS SIMPLE, CLEAN, NO
JAPAN IS SIMPLE, CLEAN, NO TIPPING ANYWHERE.
TIPPING ANYWHERE.
TIPPING ANYWHERE. >> YOU LIKE THAT?
>> YOU LIKE THAT?
>> YOU LIKE THAT? >> THANK YOU FOR THAT.
>> THANK YOU FOR THAT.
>> THANK YOU FOR THAT. >> WHO ELSE THINKS THAT HAVING
>> WHO ELSE THINKS THAT HAVING
>> WHO ELSE THINKS THAT HAVING NO TIPPING IS COOL?
NO TIPPING IS COOL?
NO TIPPING IS COOL? IS NO TIPPING COOL?
IS NO TIPPING COOL?
IS NO TIPPING COOL? REALLY?
REALLY?
REALLY? NO TIPPING'S COOL?
NO TIPPING'S COOL?
NO TIPPING'S COOL? OH, OKAY.
OH, OKAY.
OH, OKAY. >> OH, BUT THEY SAY NO.
>> OH, BUT THEY SAY NO.
>> OH, BUT THEY SAY NO. >> LET'S ASK THEM.
>> LET'S ASK THEM.
>> LET'S ASK THEM. >> YOU SAY NO?
>> YOU SAY NO?
>> YOU SAY NO? >> IN FRANCE, FOR EXAMPLE,
>> IN FRANCE, FOR EXAMPLE,
>> IN FRANCE, FOR EXAMPLE, WHERE -- I'M NOT SAYING WAITERS
WHERE -- I'M NOT SAYING WAITERS
WHERE -- I'M NOT SAYING WAITERS ARE WELL-PAID.
ARE WELL-PAID.
ARE WELL-PAID. EVEN IF THEY DON'T GET A TIP,
EVEN IF THEY DON'T GET A TIP,
EVEN IF THEY DON'T GET A TIP, IT'S FINE.
IT'S FINE.
IT'S FINE. YOU WON'T GET A COMPLAINT IF YOU
YOU WON'T GET A COMPLAINT IF YOU
YOU WON'T GET A COMPLAINT IF YOU GET ENOUGH.
GET ENOUGH.
GET ENOUGH. IN JAPAN YOU DON'T WANT TO
IN JAPAN YOU DON'T WANT TO
IN JAPAN YOU DON'T WANT TO WAITER TO TALK TO YOU.
WAITER TO TALK TO YOU.
WAITER TO TALK TO YOU. YOU WANT HIM TO TAKE THE FOOD.
YOU WANT HIM TO TAKE THE FOOD.
YOU WANT HIM TO TAKE THE FOOD. IN FRANCE IF YOU HAVE A GUY WHO
IN FRANCE IF YOU HAVE A GUY WHO
IN FRANCE IF YOU HAVE A GUY WHO IS FUNNY OR A LADY WHO IS FUNNY
IS FUNNY OR A LADY WHO IS FUNNY
IS FUNNY OR A LADY WHO IS FUNNY AND IS LIKE MAKING YOU HAVE A
AND IS LIKE MAKING YOU HAVE A
AND IS LIKE MAKING YOU HAVE A GREAT EXPERIENCE, THANKS TO HIM
GREAT EXPERIENCE, THANKS TO HIM
GREAT EXPERIENCE, THANKS TO HIM OR HER, THEN YOU PAY A BIT
OR HER, THEN YOU PAY A BIT
OR HER, THEN YOU PAY A BIT EXTRA.
EXTRA.
EXTRA. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> I'M THE SAME.
>> I'M THE SAME.
>> I'M THE SAME. LIKE GOOD RESTAURANTS, USUALLY
LIKE GOOD RESTAURANTS, USUALLY
LIKE GOOD RESTAURANTS, USUALLY YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD
YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD
YOU WANT TO HAVE A GOOD EXPERIENCE.
EXPERIENCE.
EXPERIENCE. THE WAITER OR WAITRESS PROVIDES
THE WAITER OR WAITRESS PROVIDES
THE WAITER OR WAITRESS PROVIDES THAT EXTRA GOOD TIME FOR YOU,
THAT EXTRA GOOD TIME FOR YOU,
THAT EXTRA GOOD TIME FOR YOU, THEN, OF COURSE GIVE THEM A TIP.
THEN, OF COURSE GIVE THEM A TIP.
THEN, OF COURSE GIVE THEM A TIP. >> JACKIE WHAT DO YOU SAY?
>> JACKIE WHAT DO YOU SAY?
>> JACKIE WHAT DO YOU SAY? >> I THINK YES IT'S COOL NOT TO
>> I THINK YES IT'S COOL NOT TO
>> I THINK YES IT'S COOL NOT TO GIVE TIPS.
GIVE TIPS.
GIVE TIPS. IN KENYA WE USE THEM FOR THE
IN KENYA WE USE THEM FOR THE
IN KENYA WE USE THEM FOR THE HOSPITALITY INJURY AND IT
HOSPITALITY INJURY AND IT
HOSPITALITY INJURY AND IT DEPENDS ON THE COST OF SERVICE.
DEPENDS ON THE COST OF SERVICE.
DEPENDS ON THE COST OF SERVICE. IF YOU PAID EXPENSIVE FOR THE
IF YOU PAID EXPENSIVE FOR THE
IF YOU PAID EXPENSIVE FOR THE SERVICE YOU EXPECT MORE FOR
SERVICE YOU EXPECT MORE FOR
SERVICE YOU EXPECT MORE FOR TIPPING.
TIPPING.
TIPPING. IN JAPAN EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE,
IN JAPAN EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE,
IN JAPAN EVEN IF IT'S EXPENSIVE, NO TIP.
NO TIP.
NO TIP. >> DOES TIPPING EXIST IN CHINA?
>> DOES TIPPING EXIST IN CHINA?
>> DOES TIPPING EXIST IN CHINA? NO I THOUGHT SO.
NO I THOUGHT SO.
NO I THOUGHT SO. IN OTHER COUNTRIES, WHY HAS
IN OTHER COUNTRIES, WHY HAS
IN OTHER COUNTRIES, WHY HAS TIPPING SURVIVED SO LONG IN YOUR
TIPPING SURVIVED SO LONG IN YOUR
TIPPING SURVIVED SO LONG IN YOUR COUNTRIES?
COUNTRIES?
COUNTRIES? WHY DOES IT PERSIST?
WHY DOES IT PERSIST?
WHY DOES IT PERSIST? >> I THINK IN BRAZIL, SIMILAR TO
>> I THINK IN BRAZIL, SIMILAR TO
>> I THINK IN BRAZIL, SIMILAR TO THE U.S., LIKE THE WAGES ARE NOT
THE U.S., LIKE THE WAGES ARE NOT
THE U.S., LIKE THE WAGES ARE NOT SO HIGH.
SO HIGH.
SO HIGH. SO THEY LEAVE A PORTION, LIKE
SO THEY LEAVE A PORTION, LIKE
SO THEY LEAVE A PORTION, LIKE 10% TO BE RELYING ON THE
10% TO BE RELYING ON THE
10% TO BE RELYING ON THE CUSTOMER.
CUSTOMER.
CUSTOMER. >> AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE
>> AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE
>> AND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ARGUMENT IS WHAT ABOUT THE DISH
ARGUMENT IS WHAT ABOUT THE DISH
ARGUMENT IS WHAT ABOUT THE DISH WASHER IN THE BACK WASHING THE
WASHER IN THE BACK WASHING THE
WASHER IN THE BACK WASHING THE DISHES.
DISHES.
DISHES. DOES HE GET A TIP?
DOES HE GET A TIP?
DOES HE GET A TIP? WHY IS IT ONLY THE WAITER OR
WHY IS IT ONLY THE WAITER OR
WHY IS IT ONLY THE WAITER OR WAITRESS THAT GETS THE TIP.
WAITRESS THAT GETS THE TIP.
WAITRESS THAT GETS THE TIP. >> GOOD POINT.
>> GOOD POINT.
>> GOOD POINT. THAT'S UNFAIR.
THAT'S UNFAIR.
THAT'S UNFAIR. HOW IS THAT PROBLEM RESOLVED?
HOW IS THAT PROBLEM RESOLVED?
HOW IS THAT PROBLEM RESOLVED? >> SOME RESTAURANTS WILL TAKE
>> SOME RESTAURANTS WILL TAKE
>> SOME RESTAURANTS WILL TAKE THE TIPS AWAY AND THEN SPLIT IT
THE TIPS AWAY AND THEN SPLIT IT
THE TIPS AWAY AND THEN SPLIT IT AMONG, YOU KNOW, AND EVEN THE
AMONG, YOU KNOW, AND EVEN THE
AMONG, YOU KNOW, AND EVEN THE MANAGER THAT MAKES, YOU KNOW,
MANAGER THAT MAKES, YOU KNOW,
MANAGER THAT MAKES, YOU KNOW, SIX FIGURES GETS A CUT.
SIX FIGURES GETS A CUT.
SIX FIGURES GETS A CUT. SO I MEAN, AT LEAST FOR ME, IT'S
SO I MEAN, AT LEAST FOR ME, IT'S
SO I MEAN, AT LEAST FOR ME, IT'S NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE MONEY,
NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE MONEY,
NOT SO MUCH ABOUT THE MONEY, IT'S JUST THE INCONVENIENCE OF
IT'S JUST THE INCONVENIENCE OF
IT'S JUST THE INCONVENIENCE OF THE CUSTOM.
THE CUSTOM.
THE CUSTOM. I DON'T MIND PAYING MORE, JUST
I DON'T MIND PAYING MORE, JUST
I DON'T MIND PAYING MORE, JUST INCLUDE IT AS A SERVICE CHARGE.
INCLUDE IT AS A SERVICE CHARGE.
INCLUDE IT AS A SERVICE CHARGE. TELL ME HOW MUCH I NEED TO PAY.
TELL ME HOW MUCH I NEED TO PAY.
TELL ME HOW MUCH I NEED TO PAY. >> YOU DON'T WANT TO WORRY OVER
>> YOU DON'T WANT TO WORRY OVER
>> YOU DON'T WANT TO WORRY OVER IT.
IT.
IT. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. ALL RIGHT.
ALL RIGHT.
ALL RIGHT. >> SINCE I CAME HERE, I TRIED TO
>> SINCE I CAME HERE, I TRIED TO
>> SINCE I CAME HERE, I TRIED TO TIP EVERYONE.
TIP EVERYONE.
TIP EVERYONE. BUT THEY DON'T REALLY ACCEPT IT.
BUT THEY DON'T REALLY ACCEPT IT.
BUT THEY DON'T REALLY ACCEPT IT. NO, THEY DON'T TAKE IT.
NO, THEY DON'T TAKE IT.
NO, THEY DON'T TAKE IT. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. IN JAPAN, EVEN IF YOU GET
IN JAPAN, EVEN IF YOU GET
IN JAPAN, EVEN IF YOU GET FANTASTIC SERVICE, SINCE THERE'S
FANTASTIC SERVICE, SINCE THERE'S
FANTASTIC SERVICE, SINCE THERE'S NO TIPPING CUSTOM, THERE'S NO
NO TIPPING CUSTOM, THERE'S NO
NO TIPPING CUSTOM, THERE'S NO WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR
WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR
WAY TO EXPRESS YOUR APPRECIATION.
APPRECIATION.
APPRECIATION. >> THEY NEVER ACCEPT IT.
>> THEY NEVER ACCEPT IT.
>> THEY NEVER ACCEPT IT. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. JACKIE, WHAT'S THAT?
JACKIE, WHAT'S THAT?
JACKIE, WHAT'S THAT? >> THIS IS OF GIFTING OF MONEY,
>> THIS IS OF GIFTING OF MONEY,
>> THIS IS OF GIFTING OF MONEY, THE MONEY GIFT.
THE MONEY GIFT.
THE MONEY GIFT. SO WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS THE
SO WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS THE
SO WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS THE ENVELOPES THAT YOU PUT IN THE
ENVELOPES THAT YOU PUT IN THE
ENVELOPES THAT YOU PUT IN THE MONEY.
MONEY.
MONEY. VERY BEAUTIFUL.
VERY BEAUTIFUL.
VERY BEAUTIFUL. I THINK IT'S REALLY COOL THE
I THINK IT'S REALLY COOL THE
I THINK IT'S REALLY COOL THE FACT THEY DO GIVE MONEY.
FACT THEY DO GIVE MONEY.
FACT THEY DO GIVE MONEY. FOR EXAMPLE, FOR WEDDINGS ARE
FOR EXAMPLE, FOR WEDDINGS ARE
FOR EXAMPLE, FOR WEDDINGS ARE VERY EXPENSIVE, SO THE MANY YOU
VERY EXPENSIVE, SO THE MANY YOU
VERY EXPENSIVE, SO THE MANY YOU GIVE IN THE WEDDINGS WILL HELP
GIVE IN THE WEDDINGS WILL HELP
GIVE IN THE WEDDINGS WILL HELP THEM COVER FOR THE WEDDING
THEM COVER FOR THE WEDDING
THEM COVER FOR THE WEDDING EXPENSES.
EXPENSES.
EXPENSES. SAME THING FOR THE BABY.
SAME THING FOR THE BABY.
SAME THING FOR THE BABY. >> IN JAPAN WE HAVE THE CUSTOM
>> IN JAPAN WE HAVE THE CUSTOM
>> IN JAPAN WE HAVE THE CUSTOM OF GIVING CASH AS GIFTS.
OF GIVING CASH AS GIFTS.
OF GIVING CASH AS GIFTS. IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO YOU MAKE
IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO YOU MAKE
IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO YOU MAKE GIFTS OF CASH?
GIFTS OF CASH?
GIFTS OF CASH? IS THAT SOMETHING YOU DO?
IS THAT SOMETHING YOU DO?
IS THAT SOMETHING YOU DO? >> I THINK I'M THE ONLY ONE.
>> I THINK I'M THE ONLY ONE.
>> I THINK I'M THE ONLY ONE. >> CHINA OF COURSE.
>> CHINA OF COURSE.
>> CHINA OF COURSE. >> JUST LIKE IN JAPAN, YOU DO
>> JUST LIKE IN JAPAN, YOU DO
>> JUST LIKE IN JAPAN, YOU DO THAT IN CHINA.
THAT IN CHINA.
THAT IN CHINA. >> EXACTLY.
>> EXACTLY.
>> EXACTLY. >> THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM?
>> THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM?
>> THAT'S NOT A PROBLEM? >> NO.
>> NO.
>> NO. WHY YOU DON'T DO THAT?
WHY YOU DON'T DO THAT?
WHY YOU DON'T DO THAT? >> AT FUNERALS, TOO?
>> AT FUNERALS, TOO?
>> AT FUNERALS, TOO? >> DEPENDS ON, BUT I THINK, YES,
>> DEPENDS ON, BUT I THINK, YES,
>> DEPENDS ON, BUT I THINK, YES, BUT IT'S COSTLY.
BUT IT'S COSTLY.
BUT IT'S COSTLY. PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO.
PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO.
PEOPLE WOULD LIKE TO. >> OF COURSE.
>> OF COURSE.
>> OF COURSE. THEN WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT
THEN WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT
THEN WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THE JAPANESE CUSTOM OF GIVING
THE JAPANESE CUSTOM OF GIVING
THE JAPANESE CUSTOM OF GIVING CASH?
CASH?
CASH? HOW DO YOU FEEL?
HOW DO YOU FEEL?
HOW DO YOU FEEL? >> IN BRAZIL, IT'S A VERY NO NO.
>> IN BRAZIL, IT'S A VERY NO NO.
>> IN BRAZIL, IT'S A VERY NO NO. A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE MONEY.
A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE MONEY.
A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE MONEY. IT SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE BUYING YOUR
IT SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE BUYING YOUR
IT SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE BUYING YOUR APPRECIATION.
APPRECIATION.
APPRECIATION. AND THEN IT GETS TO THE POINT,
AND THEN IT GETS TO THE POINT,
AND THEN IT GETS TO THE POINT, LIKE WHO GIVES MORE, CARES MORE
LIKE WHO GIVES MORE, CARES MORE
LIKE WHO GIVES MORE, CARES MORE ABOUT YOU THAN THE OTHERS.
ABOUT YOU THAN THE OTHERS.
ABOUT YOU THAN THE OTHERS. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> IT'S A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE
>> IT'S A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE
>> IT'S A VERY BAD THING TO GIVE MONEY.
MONEY.
MONEY. >> HOW ABOUT IN FRANCE?
>> HOW ABOUT IN FRANCE?
>> HOW ABOUT IN FRANCE? NO?
NO?
NO? >> NO.
>> NO.
>> NO. YEAH.
YEAH.
YEAH. I MEAN, FOR ME, AND THE TIME
I MEAN, FOR ME, AND THE TIME
I MEAN, FOR ME, AND THE TIME THAT YOU SPEND, ACTUALLY
THAT YOU SPEND, ACTUALLY
THAT YOU SPEND, ACTUALLY THINKING WHAT THIS PERSON WANTS
THINKING WHAT THIS PERSON WANTS
THINKING WHAT THIS PERSON WANTS IS ALMOST MORE IMPORTANT THAN
IS ALMOST MORE IMPORTANT THAN
IS ALMOST MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE VALUE ITSELF.
THE VALUE ITSELF.
THE VALUE ITSELF. AND AS IT'S BEEN SAID IF IT'S
AND AS IT'S BEEN SAID IF IT'S
AND AS IT'S BEEN SAID IF IT'S ONLY ABOUT MONEY IT'S HOW MUCH
ONLY ABOUT MONEY IT'S HOW MUCH
ONLY ABOUT MONEY IT'S HOW MUCH YOU GIVE, YOU KNOW.
YOU GIVE, YOU KNOW.
YOU GIVE, YOU KNOW. >> IN JAPAN I THINK THE
>> IN JAPAN I THINK THE
>> IN JAPAN I THINK THE OBLIGATION IS EVERYONE SHOULD
OBLIGATION IS EVERYONE SHOULD
OBLIGATION IS EVERYONE SHOULD GIVE 30,000 YEN.
GIVE 30,000 YEN.
GIVE 30,000 YEN. EVEN IF A --
EVEN IF A --
EVEN IF A -- >> NOT QUITE SO.
>> NOT QUITE SO.
>> NOT QUITE SO. >> I'VE HEARD THIS EXPRESSION IN
>> I'VE HEARD THIS EXPRESSION IN
>> I'VE HEARD THIS EXPRESSION IN JAPANESE, YOU KNOW, WHERE GOING
JAPANESE, YOU KNOW, WHERE GOING
JAPANESE, YOU KNOW, WHERE GOING TO TOO MANY WEDDINGS BECAUSE YOU
TO TOO MANY WEDDINGS BECAUSE YOU
TO TOO MANY WEDDINGS BECAUSE YOU KEEP HAVING TO PAY OUT CASH.
KEEP HAVING TO PAY OUT CASH.
KEEP HAVING TO PAY OUT CASH. >> MANY OF US SAY THAT.
>> MANY OF US SAY THAT.
>> MANY OF US SAY THAT. THESE EVENTS TEND TO COME IN A
THESE EVENTS TEND TO COME IN A
THESE EVENTS TEND TO COME IN A SERIES.
SERIES.
SERIES. >> IT IS NOW CHANGING FOR THE
>> IT IS NOW CHANGING FOR THE
>> IT IS NOW CHANGING FOR THE WEDDINGS.
WEDDINGS.
WEDDINGS. BECAUSE FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU LIVE
BECAUSE FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU LIVE
BECAUSE FOR EXAMPLE, IF YOU LIVE IN THE CITY AND YOU HAVE A
IN THE CITY AND YOU HAVE A
IN THE CITY AND YOU HAVE A WEDDING AND SOMEONE COMES FROM
WEDDING AND SOMEONE COMES FROM
WEDDING AND SOMEONE COMES FROM THE COUNTRY SIDE AND GIVES YOU A
THE COUNTRY SIDE AND GIVES YOU A
THE COUNTRY SIDE AND GIVES YOU A COW, YOU CANNOT USE THAT COW,
COW, YOU CANNOT USE THAT COW,
COW, YOU CANNOT USE THAT COW, REALLY, YOU'RE LIVING IN THE
REALLY, YOU'RE LIVING IN THE
REALLY, YOU'RE LIVING IN THE CITY.
CITY.
CITY. SO I'D RATHER SELL THE COW AND
SO I'D RATHER SELL THE COW AND
SO I'D RATHER SELL THE COW AND GIVE YOU THE MONEY, IT'S
GIVE YOU THE MONEY, IT'S
GIVE YOU THE MONEY, IT'S CHANGING.
CHANGING.
CHANGING. >> YEAH, OF COURSE.
>> YEAH, OF COURSE.
>> YEAH, OF COURSE. WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A COW IN
WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A COW IN
WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH A COW IN THE CITY?
THE CITY?
THE CITY? MOVING ON.
MOVING ON.
MOVING ON. CRAIG, WHAT'S COOL FOR YOU?
CRAIG, WHAT'S COOL FOR YOU?
CRAIG, WHAT'S COOL FOR YOU? >> SPLITTING THE BILL HERE IN
>> SPLITTING THE BILL HERE IN
>> SPLITTING THE BILL HERE IN JAPAN.
JAPAN.
JAPAN. JAPANESE SPLITTING THE BILL.
JAPANESE SPLITTING THE BILL.
JAPANESE SPLITTING THE BILL. >> OKAY.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY. >> LIKE, IT TAKES AGES, YOU
>> LIKE, IT TAKES AGES, YOU
>> LIKE, IT TAKES AGES, YOU KNOW, I HAD THIS AND BLAH BLAH
KNOW, I HAD THIS AND BLAH BLAH
KNOW, I HAD THIS AND BLAH BLAH BLAH.
BLAH.
BLAH. NO, YOU HAD THAT.
NO, YOU HAD THAT.
NO, YOU HAD THAT. NO, YOU DIDN'T.
NO, YOU DIDN'T.
NO, YOU DIDN'T. SO YEAH, IT'S JUST EVERYONE HERE
SO YEAH, IT'S JUST EVERYONE HERE
SO YEAH, IT'S JUST EVERYONE HERE PAYING.
PAYING.
PAYING. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. IN JAPAN, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU
IN JAPAN, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU
IN JAPAN, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU ATE OR DIDN'T EAT, THE BILL IS
ATE OR DIDN'T EAT, THE BILL IS
ATE OR DIDN'T EAT, THE BILL IS JUST SPLIT EQUALLY.
JUST SPLIT EQUALLY.
JUST SPLIT EQUALLY. ISN'T IT?
ISN'T IT?
ISN'T IT? >> I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL.
>> I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL.
>> I DON'T LIKE IT AT ALL. BECAUSE I DON'T DRINK AND
BECAUSE I DON'T DRINK AND
BECAUSE I DON'T DRINK AND WHENEVER I GO OUT WITH
WHENEVER I GO OUT WITH
WHENEVER I GO OUT WITH COLLEAGUES FROM UNIVERSITY, THE
COLLEAGUES FROM UNIVERSITY, THE
COLLEAGUES FROM UNIVERSITY, THE PROFESSORS, THEY EARN MUCH MORE
PROFESSORS, THEY EARN MUCH MORE
PROFESSORS, THEY EARN MUCH MORE AND DRINK A LOT MORE.
AND DRINK A LOT MORE.
AND DRINK A LOT MORE. NO.
NO.
NO. NO.
NO.
NO. IT'S 7,000, WHAT?
IT'S 7,000, WHAT?
IT'S 7,000, WHAT? 7,000?
7,000?
7,000? FOR A TINY PIECE OF MEAT AND
FOR A TINY PIECE OF MEAT AND
FOR A TINY PIECE OF MEAT AND SOME PASTA?
SOME PASTA?
SOME PASTA? >> THEN IN GERMANY, YOU EACH PAY
>> THEN IN GERMANY, YOU EACH PAY
>> THEN IN GERMANY, YOU EACH PAY ONLY FOR WHAT YOU'VE CONSUMED?
ONLY FOR WHAT YOU'VE CONSUMED?
ONLY FOR WHAT YOU'VE CONSUMED? IS THAT HOW YOU DO IT?
IS THAT HOW YOU DO IT?
IS THAT HOW YOU DO IT? >> YEAH, SOMETIMES IF YOU JUST
>> YEAH, SOMETIMES IF YOU JUST
>> YEAH, SOMETIMES IF YOU JUST GO OUT FOR A DRINK OR SO,
GO OUT FOR A DRINK OR SO,
GO OUT FOR A DRINK OR SO, SOMEONE PAYS FOR IT, I'LL TAKE
SOMEONE PAYS FOR IT, I'LL TAKE
SOMEONE PAYS FOR IT, I'LL TAKE THE NEXT ONE.
THE NEXT ONE.
THE NEXT ONE. >> IN MY CASE, IN MY SITUATION,
>> IN MY CASE, IN MY SITUATION,
>> IN MY CASE, IN MY SITUATION, IT'S HARDLY BEEN A CASE WHERE --
IT'S HARDLY BEEN A CASE WHERE --
IT'S HARDLY BEEN A CASE WHERE -- AND NOBODY HAS LESS THAN THE
AND NOBODY HAS LESS THAN THE
AND NOBODY HAS LESS THAN THE OTHER PERSON OR TOO MUCH MORE
OTHER PERSON OR TOO MUCH MORE
OTHER PERSON OR TOO MUCH MORE THAN THE OTHER PEOPLE.
THAN THE OTHER PEOPLE.
THAN THE OTHER PEOPLE. THAT'S WHY I LIKE THAT SYSTEM.
THAT'S WHY I LIKE THAT SYSTEM.
THAT'S WHY I LIKE THAT SYSTEM. IT'S JUST SO MUCH EASIER.
IT'S JUST SO MUCH EASIER.
IT'S JUST SO MUCH EASIER. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> I THINK IT'S COOL BECAUSE I'M
>> I THINK IT'S COOL BECAUSE I'M
>> I THINK IT'S COOL BECAUSE I'M USUALLY THE GUY HAVING THE STEAK
USUALLY THE GUY HAVING THE STEAK
USUALLY THE GUY HAVING THE STEAK AND THE FIVE BEERS.
AND THE FIVE BEERS.
AND THE FIVE BEERS. SO ME AND CRAIG ARE HANGING OUT,
SO ME AND CRAIG ARE HANGING OUT,
SO ME AND CRAIG ARE HANGING OUT, IT'S FAIR.
IT'S FAIR.
IT'S FAIR. >> OKAY.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY. THEN IN WHICH OTHER COUNTRIES DO
THEN IN WHICH OTHER COUNTRIES DO
THEN IN WHICH OTHER COUNTRIES DO YOU SPLIT THE AMOUNT EQUALLY
YOU SPLIT THE AMOUNT EQUALLY
YOU SPLIT THE AMOUNT EQUALLY REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DRANK OR
REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DRANK OR
REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU DRANK OR WHETHER ANYONE HAS DRUNK IT ALL
WHETHER ANYONE HAS DRUNK IT ALL
WHETHER ANYONE HAS DRUNK IT ALL OR NOT, USING YOUR CALCULATOR OR
OR NOT, USING YOUR CALCULATOR OR
OR NOT, USING YOUR CALCULATOR OR YOUR SMARTPHONE LIKE WE DO HERE
YOUR SMARTPHONE LIKE WE DO HERE
YOUR SMARTPHONE LIKE WE DO HERE IN JAPAN?
IN JAPAN?
IN JAPAN? YOU DON'T?
YOU DON'T?
YOU DON'T? NO.
NO.
NO. >> NO.
>> NO.
>> NO. >> REALLY?
>> REALLY?
>> REALLY? >> NO.
>> NO.
>> NO. >> IN CHINA YOU DON'T GO WHETHER
>> IN CHINA YOU DON'T GO WHETHER
>> IN CHINA YOU DON'T GO WHETHER YOU PAID OR NOT PLEASE PAY 2,850
YOU PAID OR NOT PLEASE PAY 2,850
YOU PAID OR NOT PLEASE PAY 2,850 YEN EACH.
YEN EACH.
YEN EACH. >> NO, THAT'S SO EMBARRASSING.
>> NO, THAT'S SO EMBARRASSING.
>> NO, THAT'S SO EMBARRASSING. IN CHINA THERE WILL BE SOMEONE
IN CHINA THERE WILL BE SOMEONE
IN CHINA THERE WILL BE SOMEONE WHO PAY THE WHOLE BILL.
WHO PAY THE WHOLE BILL.
WHO PAY THE WHOLE BILL. >> SOMEONE PAYS THE WHOLE BILL?
>> SOMEONE PAYS THE WHOLE BILL?
>> SOMEONE PAYS THE WHOLE BILL? >> EVERYONE'S GOING TO COMPETE
>> EVERYONE'S GOING TO COMPETE
>> EVERYONE'S GOING TO COMPETE TO PAY THE BILL.
TO PAY THE BILL.
TO PAY THE BILL. >> YOU FIGHT FOR THAT?
>> YOU FIGHT FOR THAT?
>> YOU FIGHT FOR THAT? >> YES.
>> YES.
>> YES. >> GIVE ME THE BILL!
>> GIVE ME THE BILL!
>> GIVE ME THE BILL! >> WHOA.
>> WHOA.
>> WHOA. WHOA.
WHOA.
WHOA. HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE HERE.
HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE HERE.
HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE HERE. WHAT IF YOU'RE CASH STRAPPED
WHAT IF YOU'RE CASH STRAPPED
WHAT IF YOU'RE CASH STRAPPED SCHOOL STUDENTS?
SCHOOL STUDENTS?
SCHOOL STUDENTS? >> DOESN'T MATTER.
>> DOESN'T MATTER.
>> DOESN'T MATTER. >> DOESN'T MATTER?
>> DOESN'T MATTER?
>> DOESN'T MATTER? >> BASICALLY A GENTLEMAN WOULD
>> BASICALLY A GENTLEMAN WOULD
>> BASICALLY A GENTLEMAN WOULD PAY FIRST, I MEAN BOYS, A MALE
PAY FIRST, I MEAN BOYS, A MALE
PAY FIRST, I MEAN BOYS, A MALE STUDENT.
STUDENT.
STUDENT. BUT BASICALLY EVERYONE COMPETES
BUT BASICALLY EVERYONE COMPETES
BUT BASICALLY EVERYONE COMPETES TO PAY THE BILL.
TO PAY THE BILL.
TO PAY THE BILL. >> IS THAT SO?
>> IS THAT SO?
>> IS THAT SO? >> I THINK IT'S COOL.
>> I THINK IT'S COOL.
>> I THINK IT'S COOL. YEAH, BECAUSE, YEAH, NO ONE
YEAH, BECAUSE, YEAH, NO ONE
YEAH, BECAUSE, YEAH, NO ONE WANTS TO PAY THE WHOLE BILL.
WANTS TO PAY THE WHOLE BILL.
WANTS TO PAY THE WHOLE BILL. SO IT HAPPENS IN CHINA TOO.
SO IT HAPPENS IN CHINA TOO.
SO IT HAPPENS IN CHINA TOO. >> I THINK IT'S A REFLECTION OF
>> I THINK IT'S A REFLECTION OF
>> I THINK IT'S A REFLECTION OF HOW IT'S A COLLECTIVIST SOCIETY.
HOW IT'S A COLLECTIVIST SOCIETY.
HOW IT'S A COLLECTIVIST SOCIETY. A LOT OF JAPANESE MEALS ARE WHAT
A LOT OF JAPANESE MEALS ARE WHAT
A LOT OF JAPANESE MEALS ARE WHAT WE CALL FAMILY STYLE IN THE
WE CALL FAMILY STYLE IN THE
WE CALL FAMILY STYLE IN THE STATES.
STATES.
STATES. THE MEAL ITSELF IS QUITE SHARED.
THE MEAL ITSELF IS QUITE SHARED.
THE MEAL ITSELF IS QUITE SHARED. THE DRINKS MAYBE NOT.
THE DRINKS MAYBE NOT.
THE DRINKS MAYBE NOT. BUT IN THE STATES, I ORDER MY
BUT IN THE STATES, I ORDER MY
BUT IN THE STATES, I ORDER MY DISH AND YOU ORDER YOURS.
DISH AND YOU ORDER YOURS.
DISH AND YOU ORDER YOURS. AND SO THEN, OKAY, I HAD THIS
AND SO THEN, OKAY, I HAD THIS
AND SO THEN, OKAY, I HAD THIS AND YOU HAD THAT.
AND YOU HAD THAT.
AND YOU HAD THAT. LET'S PAY YOU KNOW, A FAIR
LET'S PAY YOU KNOW, A FAIR
LET'S PAY YOU KNOW, A FAIR AMOUNT.
AMOUNT.
AMOUNT. BUT IN JAPAN, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO
BUT IN JAPAN, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO
BUT IN JAPAN, IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO DETERMINE WHO ATE WHAT BECAUSE
DETERMINE WHO ATE WHAT BECAUSE
DETERMINE WHO ATE WHAT BECAUSE IT'S ALL SHARED ANYWAY.
IT'S ALL SHARED ANYWAY.
IT'S ALL SHARED ANYWAY. >> THAT MAKES SENSE.
>> THAT MAKES SENSE.
>> THAT MAKES SENSE. YOUR TURN, WHAT'S YOUR COOL
YOUR TURN, WHAT'S YOUR COOL
YOUR TURN, WHAT'S YOUR COOL CHOICE?
CHOICE?
CHOICE? >> YES, I FOUND THERE'S SO MANY
>> YES, I FOUND THERE'S SO MANY
>> YES, I FOUND THERE'S SO MANY PAYMENT METHODS IN JAPAN.
PAYMENT METHODS IN JAPAN.
PAYMENT METHODS IN JAPAN. SO WHICH I FOUND VERY COOL.
SO WHICH I FOUND VERY COOL.
SO WHICH I FOUND VERY COOL. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> SHE LIKES THE CONVENIENCE OF
>> SHE LIKES THE CONVENIENCE OF
>> SHE LIKES THE CONVENIENCE OF BEING ABLE TO PAY HER UTILITY
BEING ABLE TO PAY HER UTILITY
BEING ABLE TO PAY HER UTILITY BILLS AND TAXES AT CONVENIENCE
BILLS AND TAXES AT CONVENIENCE
BILLS AND TAXES AT CONVENIENCE STORES AND USING ELECTRONIC
STORES AND USING ELECTRONIC
STORES AND USING ELECTRONIC MONEY CARDS.
MONEY CARDS.
MONEY CARDS. >> WHAT DOES YOUR BIG X MEAN?
>> WHAT DOES YOUR BIG X MEAN?
>> WHAT DOES YOUR BIG X MEAN? >> I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING COOL
>> I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING COOL
>> I COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING COOL ABOUT HOW JAPANESE PEOPLE USE
ABOUT HOW JAPANESE PEOPLE USE
ABOUT HOW JAPANESE PEOPLE USE MONEY.
MONEY.
MONEY. >> DAVID GOES OUT TO INVESTIGATE
>> DAVID GOES OUT TO INVESTIGATE
>> DAVID GOES OUT TO INVESTIGATE THE WAY JAPANESE USE THEIR
THE WAY JAPANESE USE THEIR
THE WAY JAPANESE USE THEIR MONEY, ASKING QUESTIONS OUR
MONEY, ASKING QUESTIONS OUR
MONEY, ASKING QUESTIONS OUR GUESTS ARE CURIOUS ABOUT.
GUESTS ARE CURIOUS ABOUT.
GUESTS ARE CURIOUS ABOUT. THE TITLE IS, BIG QUESTIONS FOR
THE TITLE IS, BIG QUESTIONS FOR
THE TITLE IS, BIG QUESTIONS FOR THE JAPANESE.
THE JAPANESE.
THE JAPANESE. WE'LL START WITH EVERY DAY
WE'LL START WITH EVERY DAY
WE'LL START WITH EVERY DAY SHOPPING HABITS.
SHOPPING HABITS.
SHOPPING HABITS. >> TO CHECK HOW THEY PAY FOR
>> TO CHECK HOW THEY PAY FOR
>> TO CHECK HOW THEY PAY FOR THEIR DAILY SHOPPING, DAVID
THEIR DAILY SHOPPING, DAVID
THEIR DAILY SHOPPING, DAVID INTERVIEWED SOME PEOPLE.
INTERVIEWED SOME PEOPLE.
INTERVIEWED SOME PEOPLE. >> IN GENERAL, DO YOU USUALLY
>> IN GENERAL, DO YOU USUALLY
>> IN GENERAL, DO YOU USUALLY PAY WITH CREDIT CARDS OR CASH?
PAY WITH CREDIT CARDS OR CASH?
PAY WITH CREDIT CARDS OR CASH? >> CASH.
>> CASH.
>> CASH. >> CASH.
>> CASH.
>> CASH. >> CASH.
>> CASH.
>> CASH. OKAY.
OKAY.
OKAY. AND WHY DO YOU USE CASH SO MUCH?
AND WHY DO YOU USE CASH SO MUCH?
AND WHY DO YOU USE CASH SO MUCH? >> WELL --
>> WELL --
>> WELL -- >> WITH A CREDIT CARD YOU BUY
>> WITH A CREDIT CARD YOU BUY
>> WITH A CREDIT CARD YOU BUY TOO MUCH.
TOO MUCH.
TOO MUCH. >> TRUE.
>> TRUE.
>> TRUE. THAT'S MY PROBLEM.
THAT'S MY PROBLEM.
THAT'S MY PROBLEM. >> CASH MOSTLY.
>> CASH MOSTLY.
>> CASH MOSTLY. >> ALWAYS CASH.
>> ALWAYS CASH.
>> ALWAYS CASH. >> WHEN THERE'S AN EARTHQUAKE
>> WHEN THERE'S AN EARTHQUAKE
>> WHEN THERE'S AN EARTHQUAKE IT'S BETTER TO HAVE CASH, RIGHT?
IT'S BETTER TO HAVE CASH, RIGHT?
IT'S BETTER TO HAVE CASH, RIGHT? >> CASH.
>> CASH.
>> CASH. >> I DON'T LIKE HOW IT GETS
>> I DON'T LIKE HOW IT GETS
>> I DON'T LIKE HOW IT GETS DRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT LATER.
DRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT LATER.
DRAWN FROM MY ACCOUNT LATER. IT HAPPENS WHEN I LEAST EXPECT
IT HAPPENS WHEN I LEAST EXPECT
IT HAPPENS WHEN I LEAST EXPECT IT.
IT.
IT. AND I GO, OH.
AND I GO, OH.
AND I GO, OH. >> 50/50.
>> 50/50.
>> 50/50. >> SO HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHETHER
>> SO HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHETHER
>> SO HOW DO YOU DECIDE WHETHER I'M GOING TO PAY WITH A CREDIT
I'M GOING TO PAY WITH A CREDIT
I'M GOING TO PAY WITH A CREDIT CARD OR IF I'M GOING TO PAY BY
CARD OR IF I'M GOING TO PAY BY
CARD OR IF I'M GOING TO PAY BY CASH, HOW DO YOU DECIDE IT?
CASH, HOW DO YOU DECIDE IT?
CASH, HOW DO YOU DECIDE IT? >> IT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY POINTS
>> IT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY POINTS
>> IT DEPENDS ON HOW MANY POINTS YOU CAN EARN.
YOU CAN EARN.
YOU CAN EARN. >> YEAH, I LIKE THE POINTS, TOO.
>> YEAH, I LIKE THE POINTS, TOO.
>> YEAH, I LIKE THE POINTS, TOO. >> WHEN THE AMOUNT IS BIG, I USE
>> WHEN THE AMOUNT IS BIG, I USE
>> WHEN THE AMOUNT IS BIG, I USE A CREDIT CARD.
A CREDIT CARD.
A CREDIT CARD. >> IF THE AMOUNT IS BIG --
>> IF THE AMOUNT IS BIG --
>> IF THE AMOUNT IS BIG -- >> OH, THAT'S RIGHT.
>> OH, THAT'S RIGHT.
>> OH, THAT'S RIGHT. >> OKAY.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY. >> EXPENSIVE THINGS YOU USE
>> EXPENSIVE THINGS YOU USE
>> EXPENSIVE THINGS YOU USE CREDIT CARDS?
CREDIT CARDS?
CREDIT CARDS? >> IF IT'S OVER 30,000 YEN.
>> IF IT'S OVER 30,000 YEN.
>> IF IT'S OVER 30,000 YEN. >> IT SEEMS CASH IS PREFERRED
>> IT SEEMS CASH IS PREFERRED
>> IT SEEMS CASH IS PREFERRED FOR EVERY DAY SHOPPING.
FOR EVERY DAY SHOPPING.
FOR EVERY DAY SHOPPING. SO DAVID GOES FURTHER.
SO DAVID GOES FURTHER.
SO DAVID GOES FURTHER. >> DO YOU MIND IF WE ASK HOW
>> DO YOU MIND IF WE ASK HOW
>> DO YOU MIND IF WE ASK HOW MUCH CASH YOU HAVE IN YOUR
MUCH CASH YOU HAVE IN YOUR
MUCH CASH YOU HAVE IN YOUR WALLET?
WALLET?
WALLET? >> SERIOUSLY?
>> SERIOUSLY?
>> SERIOUSLY? >> THIS MAN HAS 18,000 YEN CASH.
>> THIS MAN HAS 18,000 YEN CASH.
>> THIS MAN HAS 18,000 YEN CASH. AND THIS PERSON HAS 25,000 YEN.
AND THIS PERSON HAS 25,000 YEN.
AND THIS PERSON HAS 25,000 YEN. HE SURVEYS PEOPLE BETWEEN 30 AND
HE SURVEYS PEOPLE BETWEEN 30 AND
HE SURVEYS PEOPLE BETWEEN 30 AND 70 YEARS OF AGE AND THE AVERAGE
70 YEARS OF AGE AND THE AVERAGE
70 YEARS OF AGE AND THE AVERAGE CASH AMOUNT THEY CARRIED WAS
CASH AMOUNT THEY CARRIED WAS
CASH AMOUNT THEY CARRIED WAS 22,000 YEN.
22,000 YEN.
22,000 YEN. DOES THIS AMOUNT SEEM HIGH OR
DOES THIS AMOUNT SEEM HIGH OR
DOES THIS AMOUNT SEEM HIGH OR LOW?
LOW?
LOW? >> THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT.
>> THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT.
>> THAT'S ABOUT RIGHT. >> YEAH.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. >> SO DO YOU THINK THAT THE
>> SO DO YOU THINK THAT THE
>> SO DO YOU THINK THAT THE JAPANESE GO OUT CARRYING TOO
JAPANESE GO OUT CARRYING TOO
JAPANESE GO OUT CARRYING TOO MUCH CASH?
MUCH CASH?
MUCH CASH? WHO THINKS THE JAPANESE CARRY
WHO THINKS THE JAPANESE CARRY
WHO THINKS THE JAPANESE CARRY TOO MUCH CASH AROUND?
TOO MUCH CASH AROUND?
TOO MUCH CASH AROUND? OH, OUR FRIENDS FROM CHINA AND
OH, OUR FRIENDS FROM CHINA AND
OH, OUR FRIENDS FROM CHINA AND AUSTRALIA DON'T THINK SO.
AUSTRALIA DON'T THINK SO.
AUSTRALIA DON'T THINK SO. >> DAVID, TELL US WHAT YOU FELT
>> DAVID, TELL US WHAT YOU FELT
>> DAVID, TELL US WHAT YOU FELT FROM YOUR SURVEY?
FROM YOUR SURVEY?
FROM YOUR SURVEY? >> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN THIS
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN THIS
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN THIS ERA OF CREDIT CARDS AND E MONEY
ERA OF CREDIT CARDS AND E MONEY
ERA OF CREDIT CARDS AND E MONEY THAT JAPAN IS STILL VERY MUCH A
THAT JAPAN IS STILL VERY MUCH A
THAT JAPAN IS STILL VERY MUCH A CASH-BASED SOCIETY.
CASH-BASED SOCIETY.
CASH-BASED SOCIETY. I WAS SURPRISED IT WAS SUCH A
I WAS SURPRISED IT WAS SUCH A
I WAS SURPRISED IT WAS SUCH A HIGH RATIO OF PEOPLE THAT USE
HIGH RATIO OF PEOPLE THAT USE
HIGH RATIO OF PEOPLE THAT USE CASH.
CASH.
CASH. IN THE STATES, ESPECIALLY CREDIT
IN THE STATES, ESPECIALLY CREDIT
IN THE STATES, ESPECIALLY CREDIT CARDS IS KING.
CARDS IS KING.
CARDS IS KING. I MEAN, IN THE STATES, I WOULD
I MEAN, IN THE STATES, I WOULD
I MEAN, IN THE STATES, I WOULD CARRY PROBABLY LESS THAN THE
CARRY PROBABLY LESS THAN THE
CARRY PROBABLY LESS THAN THE EQUIVALENT OF 5,000 YEN.
EQUIVALENT OF 5,000 YEN.
EQUIVALENT OF 5,000 YEN. >> IN BRAZIL WE USUALLY DON'T
>> IN BRAZIL WE USUALLY DON'T
>> IN BRAZIL WE USUALLY DON'T CARRY THAT MUCH CASH BECAUSE
CARRY THAT MUCH CASH BECAUSE
CARRY THAT MUCH CASH BECAUSE IT'S DANGEROUS.
IT'S DANGEROUS.
IT'S DANGEROUS. >> HOW MUCH CASH DO YOU CARRY?
>> HOW MUCH CASH DO YOU CARRY?
>> HOW MUCH CASH DO YOU CARRY? >> LESS THAN 5,000 YEN.
>> LESS THAN 5,000 YEN.
>> LESS THAN 5,000 YEN. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> IN KENYA IT'S VERY UNSAFE.
>> IN KENYA IT'S VERY UNSAFE.
>> IN KENYA IT'S VERY UNSAFE. WE DON'T CARRY CASH.
WE DON'T CARRY CASH.
WE DON'T CARRY CASH. AGAIN, WE HAVE A VERY EFFECTIVE
AGAIN, WE HAVE A VERY EFFECTIVE
AGAIN, WE HAVE A VERY EFFECTIVE MOBILE PHONE PAYMENT SYSTEM.
MOBILE PHONE PAYMENT SYSTEM.
MOBILE PHONE PAYMENT SYSTEM. EVERYTHING WE PAY THROUGH THE
EVERYTHING WE PAY THROUGH THE
EVERYTHING WE PAY THROUGH THE MOBILE PHONE AND YOU CAN
MOBILE PHONE AND YOU CAN
MOBILE PHONE AND YOU CAN WITHDRAW THE MONEY FROM YOUR
WITHDRAW THE MONEY FROM YOUR
WITHDRAW THE MONEY FROM YOUR BANK INTO YOUR MOBILE PHONE.
BANK INTO YOUR MOBILE PHONE.
BANK INTO YOUR MOBILE PHONE. SO WE BASICALLY DON'T CARRY
SO WE BASICALLY DON'T CARRY
SO WE BASICALLY DON'T CARRY MONEY.
MONEY.
MONEY. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> I TRY TO CARRY ZERO CASH.
>> I TRY TO CARRY ZERO CASH.
>> I TRY TO CARRY ZERO CASH. AND I THINK MOST PEOPLE IN
AND I THINK MOST PEOPLE IN
AND I THINK MOST PEOPLE IN NORWAY, TOO HAS CREDIT CARDS
NORWAY, TOO HAS CREDIT CARDS
NORWAY, TOO HAS CREDIT CARDS EVERYWHERE.
EVERYWHERE.
EVERYWHERE. >> YOU USE CREDIT CARDS FOR
>> YOU USE CREDIT CARDS FOR
>> YOU USE CREDIT CARDS FOR SMALL AMOUNTS TOO?
SMALL AMOUNTS TOO?
SMALL AMOUNTS TOO? >> YEAH, LIKE A PACK OF GUM I
>> YEAH, LIKE A PACK OF GUM I
>> YEAH, LIKE A PACK OF GUM I USE A CREDIT CARD.
USE A CREDIT CARD.
USE A CREDIT CARD. >> WHOA.
>> WHOA.
>> WHOA. THEN ZERO CASH IS YOUR IDEAL?
THEN ZERO CASH IS YOUR IDEAL?
THEN ZERO CASH IS YOUR IDEAL? >> YEAH.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. NO, CASH AT ALL.
NO, CASH AT ALL.
NO, CASH AT ALL. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> PROBABLY A BIT MORE,
>> PROBABLY A BIT MORE,
>> PROBABLY A BIT MORE, ACTUALLY.
ACTUALLY.
ACTUALLY. AUSTRALIA IS SO EXPENSIVE THESE
AUSTRALIA IS SO EXPENSIVE THESE
AUSTRALIA IS SO EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS.
DAYS.
DAYS. AND SO, LIKE JUST TO GO AND BUY
AND SO, LIKE JUST TO GO AND BUY
AND SO, LIKE JUST TO GO AND BUY LIKE A FEW DAYS OF SHOPPING
LIKE A FEW DAYS OF SHOPPING
LIKE A FEW DAYS OF SHOPPING COSTS YOU 10,000 YEN, YOU KNOW.
COSTS YOU 10,000 YEN, YOU KNOW.
COSTS YOU 10,000 YEN, YOU KNOW. >> YOU DON'T PAY IN CREDIT CARD,
>> YOU DON'T PAY IN CREDIT CARD,
>> YOU DON'T PAY IN CREDIT CARD, YOU PAY IN CASH?
YOU PAY IN CASH?
YOU PAY IN CASH? >> SOME PEOPLE DO.
>> SOME PEOPLE DO.
>> SOME PEOPLE DO. MY FRIENDS PAY CASH.
MY FRIENDS PAY CASH.
MY FRIENDS PAY CASH. >> REALLY?
>> REALLY?
>> REALLY? IN AUSTRALIA?
IN AUSTRALIA?
IN AUSTRALIA? >> YEAH.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. >> I THINK WHERE I COME FROM,
>> I THINK WHERE I COME FROM,
>> I THINK WHERE I COME FROM, BEIJING, PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARRY
BEIJING, PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARRY
BEIJING, PEOPLE ACTUALLY CARRY ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY,
ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY,
ABOUT THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY, CASH IN THEIR WALLETS.
CASH IN THEIR WALLETS.
CASH IN THEIR WALLETS. ELDERLY PEOPLE, BASICALLY THEY
ELDERLY PEOPLE, BASICALLY THEY
ELDERLY PEOPLE, BASICALLY THEY DON'T ACCEPT THE CREDIT CARD
DON'T ACCEPT THE CREDIT CARD
DON'T ACCEPT THE CREDIT CARD CONCEPT.
CONCEPT.
CONCEPT. AND I THINK YOUNG PEOPLE, THEY
AND I THINK YOUNG PEOPLE, THEY
AND I THINK YOUNG PEOPLE, THEY STILL HAVE A TRUST ISSUE WITH
STILL HAVE A TRUST ISSUE WITH
STILL HAVE A TRUST ISSUE WITH THE BANK.
THE BANK.
THE BANK. SO THAT'S WHY.
SO THAT'S WHY.
SO THAT'S WHY. >> WHY DO YOU THINK THE JAPANESE
>> WHY DO YOU THINK THE JAPANESE
>> WHY DO YOU THINK THE JAPANESE ARE SO CASH ORIENTED?
ARE SO CASH ORIENTED?
ARE SO CASH ORIENTED? WHY DO THEY TEND TO USE CASH
WHY DO THEY TEND TO USE CASH
WHY DO THEY TEND TO USE CASH INSTEAD OF CREDIT CARDS?
INSTEAD OF CREDIT CARDS?
INSTEAD OF CREDIT CARDS? WHY?
WHY?
WHY? >> I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY IS THAT
>> I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY IS THAT
>> I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY IS THAT YOU ALWAYS GET THE RIGHT CHANGE.
YOU ALWAYS GET THE RIGHT CHANGE.
YOU ALWAYS GET THE RIGHT CHANGE. YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHECK IF YOU
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHECK IF YOU
YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHECK IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT CHANGE.
HAVE THE RIGHT CHANGE.
HAVE THE RIGHT CHANGE. IT'S ALWAYS -- THERE'S NO FRAUD.
IT'S ALWAYS -- THERE'S NO FRAUD.
IT'S ALWAYS -- THERE'S NO FRAUD. >> IN THE STATES, YOUR CREDIT
>> IN THE STATES, YOUR CREDIT
>> IN THE STATES, YOUR CREDIT RATING IS VERY IMPORTANT.
RATING IS VERY IMPORTANT.
RATING IS VERY IMPORTANT. SO YOU WANT TO USE A CREDIT CARD
SO YOU WANT TO USE A CREDIT CARD
SO YOU WANT TO USE A CREDIT CARD AND ESTABLISH THAT SORT OF
AND ESTABLISH THAT SORT OF
AND ESTABLISH THAT SORT OF RELATIONSHIP.
RELATIONSHIP.
RELATIONSHIP. WHEREAS IN JAPAN, THEY'RE MORE
WHEREAS IN JAPAN, THEY'RE MORE
WHEREAS IN JAPAN, THEY'RE MORE CASH BASED.
CASH BASED.
CASH BASED. THEY PUT THEIR MONEY IN A BANK.
THEY PUT THEIR MONEY IN A BANK.
THEY PUT THEIR MONEY IN A BANK. THE CASH THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR
THE CASH THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR
THE CASH THAT YOU HAVE IN YOUR SAVINGS ACCOUNT.
SAVINGS ACCOUNT.
SAVINGS ACCOUNT. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. >> WELL, I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT
>> WELL, I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT
>> WELL, I DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD.
CARD.
CARD. SO I CAN UNDERSTAND.
SO I CAN UNDERSTAND.
SO I CAN UNDERSTAND. >> YOU DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD?
>> YOU DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD?
>> YOU DON'T HAVE A CREDIT CARD? >> NOPE.
>> NOPE.
>> NOPE. >> DO YOU LIVE IN THE STONE AGE?
>> DO YOU LIVE IN THE STONE AGE?
>> DO YOU LIVE IN THE STONE AGE? >> I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU
>> I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU
>> I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY YOU SHOULD PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE
SHOULD PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE
SHOULD PAY SOMEONE TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR MONEY, YOU GOT TO PAY A
OF YOUR MONEY, YOU GOT TO PAY A
OF YOUR MONEY, YOU GOT TO PAY A MONTHLY FEE, MEMBERSHIP FEE.
MONTHLY FEE, MEMBERSHIP FEE.
MONTHLY FEE, MEMBERSHIP FEE. IT'S LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY.
IT'S LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY.
IT'S LIKE THROWING MONEY AWAY. CASH IS MORE CONTROLLABLE.
CASH IS MORE CONTROLLABLE.
CASH IS MORE CONTROLLABLE. >> PROFESSOR, WHAT DO YOU SAY?
>> PROFESSOR, WHAT DO YOU SAY?
>> PROFESSOR, WHAT DO YOU SAY? >> THIS ISN'T SIMPLE.
>> THIS ISN'T SIMPLE.
>> THIS ISN'T SIMPLE. WELL, THE BOTTOM LINE IS, JAPAN
WELL, THE BOTTOM LINE IS, JAPAN
WELL, THE BOTTOM LINE IS, JAPAN IS A SAFE COUNTRY.
IS A SAFE COUNTRY.
IS A SAFE COUNTRY. AND ITS SYSTEMS ARE IMPECCABLE.
AND ITS SYSTEMS ARE IMPECCABLE.
AND ITS SYSTEMS ARE IMPECCABLE. SO IT'S OKAY TO USE CREDIT CARDS
SO IT'S OKAY TO USE CREDIT CARDS
SO IT'S OKAY TO USE CREDIT CARDS AND YET WE DON'T.
AND YET WE DON'T.
AND YET WE DON'T. WE HAVE SOME SORT OF ATTACHMENT
WE HAVE SOME SORT OF ATTACHMENT
WE HAVE SOME SORT OF ATTACHMENT TO CASH.
TO CASH.
TO CASH. I THINK THIS IS THE KEY POINT.
I THINK THIS IS THE KEY POINT.
I THINK THIS IS THE KEY POINT. IT'S NOT A MATTER OF
IT'S NOT A MATTER OF
IT'S NOT A MATTER OF CONVENIENCE.
CONVENIENCE.
CONVENIENCE. WE HAVE A SENTIMENT FOR CASH
WE HAVE A SENTIMENT FOR CASH
WE HAVE A SENTIMENT FOR CASH THAT THEY DON'T HAVE IN OTHER
THAT THEY DON'T HAVE IN OTHER
THAT THEY DON'T HAVE IN OTHER COUNTRIES.
COUNTRIES.
COUNTRIES. THAT'S WHY, AS JACKIE PRESENTED,
THAT'S WHY, AS JACKIE PRESENTED,
THAT'S WHY, AS JACKIE PRESENTED, WE PUT OUR CASH IN ORNATE
WE PUT OUR CASH IN ORNATE
WE PUT OUR CASH IN ORNATE ENVELOPES TO GIVE TO OTHERS.
ENVELOPES TO GIVE TO OTHERS.
ENVELOPES TO GIVE TO OTHERS. MOREOVER WE AVOID UNLUCKY
MOREOVER WE AVOID UNLUCKY
MOREOVER WE AVOID UNLUCKY NUMBERS LIKE TWO AND FOUR AND
NUMBERS LIKE TWO AND FOUR AND
NUMBERS LIKE TWO AND FOUR AND CHOOSE A GOOD NUMBER SO THAT OUR
CHOOSE A GOOD NUMBER SO THAT OUR
CHOOSE A GOOD NUMBER SO THAT OUR GOOD THOUGHTS ARE DELIVERED WITH
GOOD THOUGHTS ARE DELIVERED WITH
GOOD THOUGHTS ARE DELIVERED WITH IT.
IT.
IT. AND HAND DELIVERING THIS AS A
AND HAND DELIVERING THIS AS A
AND HAND DELIVERING THIS AS A GIFT IS MANDATORY IN MOST CASED.
GIFT IS MANDATORY IN MOST CASED.
GIFT IS MANDATORY IN MOST CASED. I THINK WE CONSIDER CASH AS
I THINK WE CONSIDER CASH AS
I THINK WE CONSIDER CASH AS SOMETHING THAT DELIVERS OUR
SOMETHING THAT DELIVERS OUR
SOMETHING THAT DELIVERS OUR THOUGHTS.
THOUGHTS.
THOUGHTS. SOMETHING SPIRITUAL.
SOMETHING SPIRITUAL.
SOMETHING SPIRITUAL. AND THAT'S PROBABLY VERY UNIQUE.
AND THAT'S PROBABLY VERY UNIQUE.
AND THAT'S PROBABLY VERY UNIQUE. I THINK THAT THIS HAS A LOT TO
I THINK THAT THIS HAS A LOT TO
I THINK THAT THIS HAS A LOT TO DO WITH THE NEED TO SHARE YOUR
DO WITH THE NEED TO SHARE YOUR
DO WITH THE NEED TO SHARE YOUR EMOTIONS WITHIN YOUR COMMUNAL
EMOTIONS WITHIN YOUR COMMUNAL
EMOTIONS WITHIN YOUR COMMUNAL GROUP.
GROUP.
GROUP. I THINK THAT'S BEHIND IT.
I THINK THAT'S BEHIND IT.
I THINK THAT'S BEHIND IT. >> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING.
>> INTERESTING. >> THIS IS RELATING TO HOW
>> THIS IS RELATING TO HOW
>> THIS IS RELATING TO HOW JAPANESE PEOPLE USE MONEY OR HOW
JAPANESE PEOPLE USE MONEY OR HOW
JAPANESE PEOPLE USE MONEY OR HOW THEY DON'T ACTUALLY INVEST IT.
THEY DON'T ACTUALLY INVEST IT.
THEY DON'T ACTUALLY INVEST IT. TO ME, AS FAR AS I KNOW JAPANESE
TO ME, AS FAR AS I KNOW JAPANESE
TO ME, AS FAR AS I KNOW JAPANESE PEOPLE, I SEE TWO, EITHER PEOPLE
PEOPLE, I SEE TWO, EITHER PEOPLE
PEOPLE, I SEE TWO, EITHER PEOPLE SPENDING IT ON RIDICULOUS
SPENDING IT ON RIDICULOUS
SPENDING IT ON RIDICULOUS THINGS, STUPID THINGS, OR PEOPLE
THINGS, STUPID THINGS, OR PEOPLE
THINGS, STUPID THINGS, OR PEOPLE WHO ARE SAVING BUT THEY DON'T
WHO ARE SAVING BUT THEY DON'T
WHO ARE SAVING BUT THEY DON'T USE -- THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK
USE -- THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK
USE -- THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK FOR THEM.
FOR THEM.
FOR THEM. IN JAPAN INTEREST RATES ARE
IN JAPAN INTEREST RATES ARE
IN JAPAN INTEREST RATES ARE NEGATIVE OR CLOSE TO ZERO
NEGATIVE OR CLOSE TO ZERO
NEGATIVE OR CLOSE TO ZERO DEPENDING ON THE PERIOD.
DEPENDING ON THE PERIOD.
DEPENDING ON THE PERIOD. FOR ME IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
FOR ME IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
FOR ME IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. BOTH OF THOSE BEHAVIORS.
BOTH OF THOSE BEHAVIORS.
BOTH OF THOSE BEHAVIORS. >> BIG QUESTIONS FOR THE
>> BIG QUESTIONS FOR THE
>> BIG QUESTIONS FOR THE JAPANESE, PART TWO.
JAPANESE, PART TWO.
JAPANESE, PART TWO. >> DAVID ASKS ANOTHER QUESTION.
>> DAVID ASKS ANOTHER QUESTION.
>> DAVID ASKS ANOTHER QUESTION. DO YOU SAVE MONEY?
DO YOU SAVE MONEY?
DO YOU SAVE MONEY? OR DO YOU INVEST?
OR DO YOU INVEST?
OR DO YOU INVEST? >> I JUST SAVE.
>> I JUST SAVE.
>> I JUST SAVE. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT
I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT INVESTING.
INVESTING.
INVESTING. >> I LIKE TO SAVE.
>> I LIKE TO SAVE.
>> I LIKE TO SAVE. I'M INTERESTED IN INVESTING, BUT
I'M INTERESTED IN INVESTING, BUT
I'M INTERESTED IN INVESTING, BUT IT'S STILL A BIT COMPLICATED FOR
IT'S STILL A BIT COMPLICATED FOR
IT'S STILL A BIT COMPLICATED FOR ME.
ME.
ME. >> WE SAVE.
>> WE SAVE.
>> WE SAVE. WE DON'T INVEST.
WE DON'T INVEST.
WE DON'T INVEST. >> YOU DON'T WANT TO TRY
>> YOU DON'T WANT TO TRY
>> YOU DON'T WANT TO TRY INVESTING?
INVESTING?
INVESTING? >> UM, WILL OUR MONEY REALLY GO?
>> UM, WILL OUR MONEY REALLY GO?
>> UM, WILL OUR MONEY REALLY GO? IT'S A BIT RISKY.
IT'S A BIT RISKY.
IT'S A BIT RISKY. WE MIGHT IF WE CAN DO IT RIGHT.
WE MIGHT IF WE CAN DO IT RIGHT.
WE MIGHT IF WE CAN DO IT RIGHT. >> WE SAVE OUR MONEY.
>> WE SAVE OUR MONEY.
>> WE SAVE OUR MONEY. WE DON'T INVEST.
WE DON'T INVEST.
WE DON'T INVEST. PERSONALLY I'D RATHER NOT.
PERSONALLY I'D RATHER NOT.
PERSONALLY I'D RATHER NOT. BECAUSE IT'S RISKY.
BECAUSE IT'S RISKY.
BECAUSE IT'S RISKY. >> THE SURVEY RESULTS SHOWS THAT
>> THE SURVEY RESULTS SHOWS THAT
>> THE SURVEY RESULTS SHOWS THAT VERY FEW INVEST THEIR MONEY.
VERY FEW INVEST THEIR MONEY.
VERY FEW INVEST THEIR MONEY. THEY ALL SEEM HESITANT TO TAKE
THEY ALL SEEM HESITANT TO TAKE
THEY ALL SEEM HESITANT TO TAKE RISKS.
RISKS.
RISKS. DAVID ALSO SURVEYED WHAT THEY
DAVID ALSO SURVEYED WHAT THEY
DAVID ALSO SURVEYED WHAT THEY USE THEIR MONEY ON THE MOST, IT
USE THEIR MONEY ON THE MOST, IT
USE THEIR MONEY ON THE MOST, IT WAS SOCIAL EXPENSES SUCH AS
WAS SOCIAL EXPENSES SUCH AS
WAS SOCIAL EXPENSES SUCH AS DINING OUT.
DINING OUT.
DINING OUT. HE GOES FURTHER WITH ANOTHER
HE GOES FURTHER WITH ANOTHER
HE GOES FURTHER WITH ANOTHER QUESTION.
QUESTION.
QUESTION. >> SO WHEN YOU GO OUT SHOPPING,
>> SO WHEN YOU GO OUT SHOPPING,
>> SO WHEN YOU GO OUT SHOPPING, DO YOU CHECK THE RECEIPTS?
DO YOU CHECK THE RECEIPTS?
DO YOU CHECK THE RECEIPTS? >> I DON'T CHECK THEM TOO MUCH.
>> I DON'T CHECK THEM TOO MUCH.
>> I DON'T CHECK THEM TOO MUCH. >> NEITHER DO I.
>> NEITHER DO I.
>> NEITHER DO I. I KEEP THEM ALL, BUT --
I KEEP THEM ALL, BUT --
I KEEP THEM ALL, BUT -- >> WHY DON'T YOU CHECK?
>> WHY DON'T YOU CHECK?
>> WHY DON'T YOU CHECK? >> I DON'T.
>> I DON'T.
>> I DON'T. I SHOULD, RIGHT?
I SHOULD, RIGHT?
I SHOULD, RIGHT? BUT I DON'T.
BUT I DON'T.
BUT I DON'T. >> I TEND TO CHECK THEM.
>> I TEND TO CHECK THEM.
>> I TEND TO CHECK THEM. I CHECK THE ROUGH AMOUNTS.
I CHECK THE ROUGH AMOUNTS.
I CHECK THE ROUGH AMOUNTS. AND THE POINTS.
AND THE POINTS.
AND THE POINTS. >> I DON'T LOOK AT THEM VERY
>> I DON'T LOOK AT THEM VERY
>> I DON'T LOOK AT THEM VERY MUCH.
MUCH.
MUCH. ALTHOUGH I KEEP THEM.
ALTHOUGH I KEEP THEM.
ALTHOUGH I KEEP THEM. WHEN I WENT OVERSEAS EVERYONE
WHEN I WENT OVERSEAS EVERYONE
WHEN I WENT OVERSEAS EVERYONE DID, SO I GOT USED TO THAT.
DID, SO I GOT USED TO THAT.
DID, SO I GOT USED TO THAT. AND I CHECKED MY RECEIPTS THERE.
AND I CHECKED MY RECEIPTS THERE.
AND I CHECKED MY RECEIPTS THERE. BUT IN JAPAN, I RARELY DO IT.
BUT IN JAPAN, I RARELY DO IT.
BUT IN JAPAN, I RARELY DO IT. >> FEW JAPANESE CHECK THEIR
>> FEW JAPANESE CHECK THEIR
>> FEW JAPANESE CHECK THEIR RECEIPTS.
RECEIPTS.
RECEIPTS. WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS
WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS RESULT?
RESULT?
RESULT? >> OH, I GUESS WE ALMOST NEVER
>> OH, I GUESS WE ALMOST NEVER
>> OH, I GUESS WE ALMOST NEVER CHECK OUR RECEIPTS.
CHECK OUR RECEIPTS.
CHECK OUR RECEIPTS. DAVID, YOU WERE CURIOUS ABOUT
DAVID, YOU WERE CURIOUS ABOUT
DAVID, YOU WERE CURIOUS ABOUT THAT?
THAT?
THAT? >> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN
>> I WAS SURPRISED THAT IN JAPAN, SO FEW PEOPLE CHECK.
JAPAN, SO FEW PEOPLE CHECK.
JAPAN, SO FEW PEOPLE CHECK. OF COURSE, IN THE STATES, A LOT
OF COURSE, IN THE STATES, A LOT
OF COURSE, IN THE STATES, A LOT OF PEOPLE DON'T CHECK.
OF PEOPLE DON'T CHECK.
OF PEOPLE DON'T CHECK. BUT I'D SAY IN GENERAL IT'S MORE
BUT I'D SAY IN GENERAL IT'S MORE
BUT I'D SAY IN GENERAL IT'S MORE COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO CHECK IN
COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO CHECK IN
COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO CHECK IN THE STATES.
THE STATES.
THE STATES. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. IN YOUR COUNTRIES, DO YOU ALWAYS
IN YOUR COUNTRIES, DO YOU ALWAYS
IN YOUR COUNTRIES, DO YOU ALWAYS CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS?
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS?
CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS? WHO SAYS THEY DO?
WHO SAYS THEY DO?
WHO SAYS THEY DO? WHICH OF YOU?
WHICH OF YOU?
WHICH OF YOU? OH.
OH.
OH. >> ALL THE WOMEN.
>> ALL THE WOMEN.
>> ALL THE WOMEN. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. LET'S SEE, YOU CHECK THEM?
LET'S SEE, YOU CHECK THEM?
LET'S SEE, YOU CHECK THEM? >> YEAH, THEY DO IT.
>> YEAH, THEY DO IT.
>> YEAH, THEY DO IT. ESPECIALLY AT BARS.
ESPECIALLY AT BARS.
ESPECIALLY AT BARS. BECAUSE VERY KIND OF LIKE, EASY
BECAUSE VERY KIND OF LIKE, EASY
BECAUSE VERY KIND OF LIKE, EASY TO CONFUSE, IF SOMEONE ELSE'S
TO CONFUSE, IF SOMEONE ELSE'S
TO CONFUSE, IF SOMEONE ELSE'S TABLE.
TABLE.
TABLE. OH, I DIDN'T ORDER THIS, OH,
OH, I DIDN'T ORDER THIS, OH,
OH, I DIDN'T ORDER THIS, OH, YEAH SORRY ABOUT THAT.
YEAH SORRY ABOUT THAT.
YEAH SORRY ABOUT THAT. WE ALWAYS CHECK.
WE ALWAYS CHECK.
WE ALWAYS CHECK. >> DO CHARGING ERRORS HAPPEN
>> DO CHARGING ERRORS HAPPEN
>> DO CHARGING ERRORS HAPPEN OFTEN IN BRAZIL?
OFTEN IN BRAZIL?
OFTEN IN BRAZIL? >> YEAH.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. SO WHEN I WAS IN BRAZIL, EVEN
SO WHEN I WAS IN BRAZIL, EVEN
SO WHEN I WAS IN BRAZIL, EVEN THE HOTEL, MY HOTEL BILL WAS
THE HOTEL, MY HOTEL BILL WAS
THE HOTEL, MY HOTEL BILL WAS CHARGED LIKE A DINNER I DIDN'T
CHARGED LIKE A DINNER I DIDN'T
CHARGED LIKE A DINNER I DIDN'T HAVE.
HAVE.
HAVE. AND THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED ME THE
AND THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED ME THE
AND THEY ACTUALLY SHOWED ME THE BILL AND SOMEONE WROTE, LIKE,
BILL AND SOMEONE WROTE, LIKE,
BILL AND SOMEONE WROTE, LIKE, SILVER BECAUSE IT'S SO COMMON IN
SILVER BECAUSE IT'S SO COMMON IN
SILVER BECAUSE IT'S SO COMMON IN BRAZIL AND SIGNED IT WITH NOT MY
BRAZIL AND SIGNED IT WITH NOT MY
BRAZIL AND SIGNED IT WITH NOT MY SIGNING.
SIGNING.
SIGNING. AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE WAY TO
AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE WAY TO
AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE WAY TO CONTROL IT.
CONTROL IT.
CONTROL IT. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. JACKIE, YOU CHECK THEM, TOO?
JACKIE, YOU CHECK THEM, TOO?
JACKIE, YOU CHECK THEM, TOO? >> OH, WE HAVE TO CHECK BECAUSE
>> OH, WE HAVE TO CHECK BECAUSE
>> OH, WE HAVE TO CHECK BECAUSE SOMETIMES YOU HAVE VERY
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE VERY
SOMETIMES YOU HAVE VERY DISHONEST SELLERS YOU HAVE TO
DISHONEST SELLERS YOU HAVE TO
DISHONEST SELLERS YOU HAVE TO CHECK THINGS LIKE HER, THINGS
CHECK THINGS LIKE HER, THINGS
CHECK THINGS LIKE HER, THINGS YOU DIDN'T BUY.
YOU DIDN'T BUY.
YOU DIDN'T BUY. YOU REALLY HAVE TO.
YOU REALLY HAVE TO.
YOU REALLY HAVE TO. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. IN YOUR COUNTRY?
IN YOUR COUNTRY?
IN YOUR COUNTRY? >> SUPERMARKETS ARE NOTORIOUS
>> SUPERMARKETS ARE NOTORIOUS
>> SUPERMARKETS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR THIS IS ON SPECIAL THIS
FOR THIS IS ON SPECIAL THIS
FOR THIS IS ON SPECIAL THIS WEEK, THIS IS ON SPECIAL BUT IT
WEEK, THIS IS ON SPECIAL BUT IT
WEEK, THIS IS ON SPECIAL BUT IT HASN'T BEEN PUT INTO THE SYSTEM.
HASN'T BEEN PUT INTO THE SYSTEM.
HASN'T BEEN PUT INTO THE SYSTEM. YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR RECEIPT
YOU SHOULD CHECK YOUR RECEIPT AFTER YOU BUY IN A SUPERMARKET.
AFTER YOU BUY IN A SUPERMARKET.
AFTER YOU BUY IN A SUPERMARKET. >> I GET IT, ALL RIGHT.
>> I GET IT, ALL RIGHT.
>> I GET IT, ALL RIGHT. WHAT ABOUT YOU?
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
WHAT ABOUT YOU? YOU CHECK THEM?
YOU CHECK THEM?
YOU CHECK THEM? >> YES.
>> YES.
>> YES. >> DO YOU CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS IN
>> DO YOU CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS IN
>> DO YOU CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS IN JAPAN, TOO?
JAPAN, TOO?
JAPAN, TOO? WHICH OF YOU CHECK YOUR
WHICH OF YOU CHECK YOUR
WHICH OF YOU CHECK YOUR RECEIPTS?
RECEIPTS?
RECEIPTS? EVEN WHEN YOU'RE HERE IN JAPAN.
EVEN WHEN YOU'RE HERE IN JAPAN.
EVEN WHEN YOU'RE HERE IN JAPAN. OH.
OH.
OH. WHY?
WHY?
WHY? WHY NOT?
WHY NOT?
WHY NOT? >> BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS
>> BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS
>> BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS AUTOMATIC.
AUTOMATIC.
AUTOMATIC. I THINK WHAT WE'RE ALL TALKING
I THINK WHAT WE'RE ALL TALKING
I THINK WHAT WE'RE ALL TALKING ABOUT IS THE RESTAURANT, WHO DO
ABOUT IS THE RESTAURANT, WHO DO
ABOUT IS THE RESTAURANT, WHO DO HAND WRITING AND CALCULATE IN
HAND WRITING AND CALCULATE IN
HAND WRITING AND CALCULATE IN YOUR HEAD YOU THINK, HE DOESN'T
YOUR HEAD YOU THINK, HE DOESN'T
YOUR HEAD YOU THINK, HE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO
LOOK LIKE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO
LOOK LIKE SOMEONE WHO CAN DO MATH VERY WELL.
MATH VERY WELL.
MATH VERY WELL. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. OKAY.
OKAY.
OKAY. THAT'S A POINT.
THAT'S A POINT.
THAT'S A POINT. >> TRUST.
>> TRUST.
>> TRUST. IN JAPAN, JAPAN IS JUST SUCH A
IN JAPAN, JAPAN IS JUST SUCH A
IN JAPAN, JAPAN IS JUST SUCH A TRUSTFUL SOCIETY SO I NEVER
TRUSTFUL SOCIETY SO I NEVER
TRUSTFUL SOCIETY SO I NEVER CHECK.
CHECK.
CHECK. >> WE DON'T CHECK OUR HOTEL
>> WE DON'T CHECK OUR HOTEL
>> WE DON'T CHECK OUR HOTEL BILLS TOO MUCH, DO WE?
BILLS TOO MUCH, DO WE?
BILLS TOO MUCH, DO WE? >> NO, WE DON'T CHECK OUR CHANGE
>> NO, WE DON'T CHECK OUR CHANGE
>> NO, WE DON'T CHECK OUR CHANGE EITHER.
EITHER.
EITHER. >> NO, WE DON'T.
>> NO, WE DON'T.
>> NO, WE DON'T. >> SO WE'VE SUMMARIZED HERE, THE
>> SO WE'VE SUMMARIZED HERE, THE
>> SO WE'VE SUMMARIZED HERE, THE RESULTS OF DAVID'S SURVEY.
RESULTS OF DAVID'S SURVEY.
RESULTS OF DAVID'S SURVEY. >> ALL RIGHT.
>> ALL RIGHT.
>> ALL RIGHT. SO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT
SO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT
SO TELL US WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THIS RESULT?
THIS RESULT?
THIS RESULT? >> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW
>> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW
>> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW THEY --
THEY --
THEY -- >> ABOUT HOW THEY SAVE THEIR
>> ABOUT HOW THEY SAVE THEIR
>> ABOUT HOW THEY SAVE THEIR MONEY?
MONEY?
MONEY? >> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW
>> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW
>> THAT'S WHY I DON'T LIKE HOW THEY USE IT.
THEY USE IT.
THEY USE IT. NOBODY -- THEY JUST SAVE MONEY
NOBODY -- THEY JUST SAVE MONEY
NOBODY -- THEY JUST SAVE MONEY AND THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK FOR
AND THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK FOR
AND THEY DON'T MAKE IT WORK FOR THEM.
THEM.
THEM. SO YEAH, 87% IS CRAZY.
SO YEAH, 87% IS CRAZY.
SO YEAH, 87% IS CRAZY. YOU KNOW, I MEAN PROBABLY AS A
YOU KNOW, I MEAN PROBABLY AS A
YOU KNOW, I MEAN PROBABLY AS A COUNTRY IS GOOD BECAUSE THEY
COUNTRY IS GOOD BECAUSE THEY
COUNTRY IS GOOD BECAUSE THEY HAVE SAVINGS.
HAVE SAVINGS.
HAVE SAVINGS. >> IT'S NOT GOOD.
>> IT'S NOT GOOD.
>> IT'S NOT GOOD. >> BUT, YEAH, SO THAT'S REALLY
>> BUT, YEAH, SO THAT'S REALLY
>> BUT, YEAH, SO THAT'S REALLY FOR ME, DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
FOR ME, DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
FOR ME, DOESN'T MAKE SENSE. BECAUSE PEOPLE, EVEN IF IT'S
BECAUSE PEOPLE, EVEN IF IT'S
BECAUSE PEOPLE, EVEN IF IT'S NOT, YOU KNOW, PROPERLY SET
NOT, YOU KNOW, PROPERLY SET
NOT, YOU KNOW, PROPERLY SET INVESTMENT, THEY WILL STILL --
INVESTMENT, THEY WILL STILL --
INVESTMENT, THEY WILL STILL -- IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO HAVE
IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO HAVE
IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO HAVE THIS MONEY SITTING IN THEIR
THIS MONEY SITTING IN THEIR
THIS MONEY SITTING IN THEIR ACCOUNT.
ACCOUNT.
ACCOUNT. >> IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO HIGHER
>> IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO HIGHER
>> IN YOUR COUNTRIES DO HIGHER PERCENTAGES OF PEOPLE INVEST
PERCENTAGES OF PEOPLE INVEST
PERCENTAGES OF PEOPLE INVEST THEIR MONEY?
THEIR MONEY?
THEIR MONEY? WHO SAYS YES?
WHO SAYS YES?
WHO SAYS YES? WHERE DO PEOPLE INVEST MORE
WHERE DO PEOPLE INVEST MORE
WHERE DO PEOPLE INVEST MORE COMPARED TO JAPAN?
COMPARED TO JAPAN?
COMPARED TO JAPAN? >> ALL OF YOU.
>> ALL OF YOU.
>> ALL OF YOU. >> REALLY?
>> REALLY?
>> REALLY? IN AUSTRALIA?
IN AUSTRALIA?
IN AUSTRALIA? >> PROPERTY, STOCKS, EVERYTHING
>> PROPERTY, STOCKS, EVERYTHING
>> PROPERTY, STOCKS, EVERYTHING LIKE THAT.
LIKE THAT.
LIKE THAT. >> IN CHINA, TOO?
>> IN CHINA, TOO?
>> IN CHINA, TOO? >> YEAH, THE SAME.
>> YEAH, THE SAME.
>> YEAH, THE SAME. ESPECIALLY IN BIG CITIES.
ESPECIALLY IN BIG CITIES.
ESPECIALLY IN BIG CITIES. EVERYONE IS INVESTING.
EVERYONE IS INVESTING.
EVERYONE IS INVESTING. >> OH.
>> OH.
>> OH. >> BECAUSE THE AVERAGE WAGE IS
>> BECAUSE THE AVERAGE WAGE IS
>> BECAUSE THE AVERAGE WAGE IS SO LOW, AND IF YOU SEE ANOTHER
SO LOW, AND IF YOU SEE ANOTHER
SO LOW, AND IF YOU SEE ANOTHER FRIEND IS GETTING -- DOING WELL
FRIEND IS GETTING -- DOING WELL
FRIEND IS GETTING -- DOING WELL BY INVESTING, YOU GO, AND ASK
BY INVESTING, YOU GO, AND ASK
BY INVESTING, YOU GO, AND ASK THEM.
THEM.
THEM. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. HOW ABOUT NORWAY?
HOW ABOUT NORWAY?
HOW ABOUT NORWAY? >> YEAH, I THINK ALSO, LOTS OF
>> YEAH, I THINK ALSO, LOTS OF
>> YEAH, I THINK ALSO, LOTS OF INVESTING, LIKE REAL ESTATE
INVESTING, LIKE REAL ESTATE
INVESTING, LIKE REAL ESTATE PRICINGS ARE JUST GOING UP EVERY
PRICINGS ARE JUST GOING UP EVERY
PRICINGS ARE JUST GOING UP EVERY YEAR.
YEAR.
YEAR. SO MANY PEOPLE INVEST IN HOUSES
SO MANY PEOPLE INVEST IN HOUSES
SO MANY PEOPLE INVEST IN HOUSES OR APARTMENTS.
OR APARTMENTS.
OR APARTMENTS. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. ALL RIGHT.
ALL RIGHT.
ALL RIGHT. >> YEAH, THAT'S A LOT OF SAVE.
>> YEAH, THAT'S A LOT OF SAVE.
>> YEAH, THAT'S A LOT OF SAVE. >> JAPAN HAS A DEFLATION.
>> JAPAN HAS A DEFLATION.
>> JAPAN HAS A DEFLATION. THINGS GET CHEAPER WITH THE
THINGS GET CHEAPER WITH THE
THINGS GET CHEAPER WITH THE TIMES.
TIMES.
TIMES. AND IT'S A BIG PROBLEM FOR THIS
AND IT'S A BIG PROBLEM FOR THIS
AND IT'S A BIG PROBLEM FOR THIS ECONOMY AS WELL.
ECONOMY AS WELL.
ECONOMY AS WELL. THE THING IS LIKE, JAPAN, IF YOU
THE THING IS LIKE, JAPAN, IF YOU
THE THING IS LIKE, JAPAN, IF YOU BUY A HOUSE, THE PRICE GOES
BUY A HOUSE, THE PRICE GOES
BUY A HOUSE, THE PRICE GOES DOWN.
DOWN.
DOWN. IT'S DIFFERENT.
IT'S DIFFERENT.
IT'S DIFFERENT. >> IT WON'T BE AN INVESTMENT.
>> IT WON'T BE AN INVESTMENT.
>> IT WON'T BE AN INVESTMENT. >> IT'S JUST TOTALLY DIFFERENT
>> IT'S JUST TOTALLY DIFFERENT
>> IT'S JUST TOTALLY DIFFERENT ASPECT.
ASPECT.
ASPECT. IT'S VERY CRAZY.
IT'S VERY CRAZY.
IT'S VERY CRAZY. >> WHY DOES THE PROPERTY GO
>> WHY DOES THE PROPERTY GO
>> WHY DOES THE PROPERTY GO DOWN?
DOWN?
DOWN? >> YEAH.
>> YEAH.
>> YEAH. IT'S CRAZY.
IT'S CRAZY.
IT'S CRAZY. >> SO WHY DO YOU THINK THE
>> SO WHY DO YOU THINK THE
>> SO WHY DO YOU THINK THE JAPANESE KEEP A LOT OF SAVINGS?
JAPANESE KEEP A LOT OF SAVINGS?
JAPANESE KEEP A LOT OF SAVINGS? AND DON'T INVEST?
AND DON'T INVEST?
AND DON'T INVEST? WHAT'S THE REASON?
WHAT'S THE REASON?
WHAT'S THE REASON? >> LACK OF EDUCATION, REALLY,
>> LACK OF EDUCATION, REALLY,
>> LACK OF EDUCATION, REALLY, ISN'T IT?
ISN'T IT?
ISN'T IT? IN AUSTRALIA, LIKE, A LOT OF ON
IN AUSTRALIA, LIKE, A LOT OF ON
IN AUSTRALIA, LIKE, A LOT OF ON THE TV, A LOT OF ADVERTISING
THE TV, A LOT OF ADVERTISING
THE TV, A LOT OF ADVERTISING DONE TOWARDS INVESTMENT, PLUS
DONE TOWARDS INVESTMENT, PLUS
DONE TOWARDS INVESTMENT, PLUS THE GOVERNMENT ENCOURAGES YOU TO
THE GOVERNMENT ENCOURAGES YOU TO
THE GOVERNMENT ENCOURAGES YOU TO SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INVEST IT.
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INVEST IT.
SAVE YOUR MONEY AND INVEST IT. >> IS SUCH EDUCATION GIVEN TO
>> IS SUCH EDUCATION GIVEN TO
>> IS SUCH EDUCATION GIVEN TO CHILDREN?
CHILDREN?
CHILDREN? >> NOT ALONG THAT KIND OF SCALE,
>> NOT ALONG THAT KIND OF SCALE,
>> NOT ALONG THAT KIND OF SCALE, NO.
NO.
NO. >> IT'S NOT REGULATED IN BRAZIL
>> IT'S NOT REGULATED IN BRAZIL
>> IT'S NOT REGULATED IN BRAZIL BUT THERE ARE A FEW SCHOOLS THAT
BUT THERE ARE A FEW SCHOOLS THAT
BUT THERE ARE A FEW SCHOOLS THAT DO CONTESTS.
DO CONTESTS.
DO CONTESTS. LIKE A FAKE INVESTING
LIKE A FAKE INVESTING
LIKE A FAKE INVESTING APPLICATION.
APPLICATION.
APPLICATION. YOU DON'T DO IT WITH REAL MONEY
YOU DON'T DO IT WITH REAL MONEY
YOU DON'T DO IT WITH REAL MONEY BUT YOU USE REAL NUMBERS FROM
BUT YOU USE REAL NUMBERS FROM
BUT YOU USE REAL NUMBERS FROM THE MARKET AND KIDS TRY TO SEE
THE MARKET AND KIDS TRY TO SEE
THE MARKET AND KIDS TRY TO SEE WHO MAKES MORE MONEY IN THAT
WHO MAKES MORE MONEY IN THAT
WHO MAKES MORE MONEY IN THAT VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT TO KIND OF
VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT TO KIND OF
VIRTUAL ENVIRONMENT TO KIND OF LIKE, SIMULATE THAT.
LIKE, SIMULATE THAT.
LIKE, SIMULATE THAT. >> I THINK IN JAPAN, THE IMAGE
>> I THINK IN JAPAN, THE IMAGE
>> I THINK IN JAPAN, THE IMAGE OF INVESTING IS SOMETHING DONE
OF INVESTING IS SOMETHING DONE
OF INVESTING IS SOMETHING DONE BY FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND
BY FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND
BY FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND THE BANKS.
THE BANKS.
THE BANKS. AND THERE'S REALLY PRIVATE
AND THERE'S REALLY PRIVATE
AND THERE'S REALLY PRIVATE INVESTING ISN'T REALLY SO
INVESTING ISN'T REALLY SO
INVESTING ISN'T REALLY SO POPULAR.
POPULAR.
POPULAR. IT'S JUST -- LIKE CRAIG SAID,
IT'S JUST -- LIKE CRAIG SAID,
IT'S JUST -- LIKE CRAIG SAID, IT'S NOT -- THERE'S NO PUBLIC
IT'S NOT -- THERE'S NO PUBLIC
IT'S NOT -- THERE'S NO PUBLIC AWARENESS ABOUT IT, HEY YOU CAN
AWARENESS ABOUT IT, HEY YOU CAN
AWARENESS ABOUT IT, HEY YOU CAN DO THIS AND MAKE MORE MONEY THAN
DO THIS AND MAKE MORE MONEY THAN
DO THIS AND MAKE MORE MONEY THAN YOU CAN IF YOU PUT IT IN A
YOU CAN IF YOU PUT IT IN A
YOU CAN IF YOU PUT IT IN A SAVINGS ACCOUNT.
SAVINGS ACCOUNT.
SAVINGS ACCOUNT. >> INVESTING MEANS ALSO RISK AND
>> INVESTING MEANS ALSO RISK AND
>> INVESTING MEANS ALSO RISK AND JAPAN ARE VERY RISK ADVERSE.
JAPAN ARE VERY RISK ADVERSE.
JAPAN ARE VERY RISK ADVERSE. THE REASON WHY I THINK THEY'RE
THE REASON WHY I THINK THEY'RE
THE REASON WHY I THINK THEY'RE RISK ADVERSE, IS I'M NOT SAYING
RISK ADVERSE, IS I'M NOT SAYING
RISK ADVERSE, IS I'M NOT SAYING IN OUR COUNTRIES WE ALL TAKE
IN OUR COUNTRIES WE ALL TAKE
IN OUR COUNTRIES WE ALL TAKE RISKS.
RISKS.
RISKS. NO PROBLEM, I TAKE A RISK.
NO PROBLEM, I TAKE A RISK.
NO PROBLEM, I TAKE A RISK. IT'S JUST THAT IN JAPAN, OH, IF
IT'S JUST THAT IN JAPAN, OH, IF
IT'S JUST THAT IN JAPAN, OH, IF I LOSE MONEY, THAT'S IT.
I LOSE MONEY, THAT'S IT.
I LOSE MONEY, THAT'S IT. BECAUSE THERE IS SO EXPENSIVE,
BECAUSE THERE IS SO EXPENSIVE,
BECAUSE THERE IS SO EXPENSIVE, YOU'RE ON RAILS FOR YOUR LIFE.
YOU'RE ON RAILS FOR YOUR LIFE.
YOU'RE ON RAILS FOR YOUR LIFE. IF YOU LOSE MONEY AT THIS POINT,
IF YOU LOSE MONEY AT THIS POINT,
IF YOU LOSE MONEY AT THIS POINT, YOU CAN'T RECOVER.
YOU CAN'T RECOVER.
YOU CAN'T RECOVER. WHEREAS, YOU KNOW, IF I LOSE
WHEREAS, YOU KNOW, IF I LOSE
WHEREAS, YOU KNOW, IF I LOSE MONEY THEN I TRY TO -- I WORK
MONEY THEN I TRY TO -- I WORK
MONEY THEN I TRY TO -- I WORK LONGER HOURS OR I JUST TRY TO
LONGER HOURS OR I JUST TRY TO
LONGER HOURS OR I JUST TRY TO CUT MY EXPENSES.
CUT MY EXPENSES.
CUT MY EXPENSES. IF YOU PLAY AND LOSE AND THAT'S
IF YOU PLAY AND LOSE AND THAT'S
IF YOU PLAY AND LOSE AND THAT'S WHY I THINK THEY DON'T WANT TO
WHY I THINK THEY DON'T WANT TO
WHY I THINK THEY DON'T WANT TO INVEST.
INVEST.
INVEST. >> THAT MAY BE.
>> THAT MAY BE.
>> THAT MAY BE. >> IF YOU TELL THE JAPANESE YOU
>> IF YOU TELL THE JAPANESE YOU
>> IF YOU TELL THE JAPANESE YOU WANT TO INVEST THEY THINK YOU'RE
WANT TO INVEST THEY THINK YOU'RE
WANT TO INVEST THEY THINK YOU'RE VERY RICH.
VERY RICH.
VERY RICH. THEY THINK TO INVEST YOU HAVE TO
THEY THINK TO INVEST YOU HAVE TO
THEY THINK TO INVEST YOU HAVE TO HAVE LOTS OF MONEY.
HAVE LOTS OF MONEY.
HAVE LOTS OF MONEY. WHEREAS WE BELIEVE YOU CAN START
WHEREAS WE BELIEVE YOU CAN START
WHEREAS WE BELIEVE YOU CAN START SMALL.
SMALL.
SMALL. YOU DON'T HAVE TO START BIG.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO START BIG.
YOU DON'T HAVE TO START BIG. >> OKAY.
>> OKAY.
>> OKAY. >> THE GENERAL SENTIMENT IS THAT
>> THE GENERAL SENTIMENT IS THAT
>> THE GENERAL SENTIMENT IS THAT IT'S FINE FOR RICH PEOPLE TO
IT'S FINE FOR RICH PEOPLE TO
IT'S FINE FOR RICH PEOPLE TO INVEST.
INVEST.
INVEST. BUT TAKING THE RISK WITH OUR OWN
BUT TAKING THE RISK WITH OUR OWN
BUT TAKING THE RISK WITH OUR OWN MEAGER AMOUNT DOESN'T MAKE
MEAGER AMOUNT DOESN'T MAKE
MEAGER AMOUNT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.
SENSE.
SENSE. THE BOTTOM LINE I THINK AS I
THE BOTTOM LINE I THINK AS I
THE BOTTOM LINE I THINK AS I SAID BEFORE, IS THAT THERE'S A
SAID BEFORE, IS THAT THERE'S A
SAID BEFORE, IS THAT THERE'S A DESIRE TO KEEP OUR MONEY CLOSE
DESIRE TO KEEP OUR MONEY CLOSE
DESIRE TO KEEP OUR MONEY CLOSE TO US.
TO US.
TO US. AND MONEY IS SOMETHING WE EARN
AND MONEY IS SOMETHING WE EARN
AND MONEY IS SOMETHING WE EARN BY HONEST WORK.
BY HONEST WORK.
BY HONEST WORK. I THINK WE STILL HAVE THIS SENSE
I THINK WE STILL HAVE THIS SENSE
I THINK WE STILL HAVE THIS SENSE OF GUILT SOMEWHERE ABOUT
OF GUILT SOMEWHERE ABOUT
OF GUILT SOMEWHERE ABOUT INVESTING.
INVESTING.
INVESTING. AND GETTING MONEY WITHOUT
AND GETTING MONEY WITHOUT
AND GETTING MONEY WITHOUT WORKING FOR IT.
WORKING FOR IT.
WORKING FOR IT. AND WE CAN'T SEEM TO QUITE GROW
AND WE CAN'T SEEM TO QUITE GROW
AND WE CAN'T SEEM TO QUITE GROW OUT OF THAT.
OUT OF THAT.
OUT OF THAT. IT'S OKAY FOR PEOPLE WITH A LOT
IT'S OKAY FOR PEOPLE WITH A LOT
IT'S OKAY FOR PEOPLE WITH A LOT OF MONEY TO INVEST THEIR SURPLUS
OF MONEY TO INVEST THEIR SURPLUS
OF MONEY TO INVEST THEIR SURPLUS MONEY.
MONEY.
MONEY. BUT FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, TO TRY
BUT FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, TO TRY
BUT FOR THE AVERAGE GUY, TO TRY TO GAIN MONEY WITHOUT WORKING IS
TO GAIN MONEY WITHOUT WORKING IS
TO GAIN MONEY WITHOUT WORKING IS SEEN AS UNETHICAL.
SEEN AS UNETHICAL.
SEEN AS UNETHICAL. AND IT'S BETTER TO JUST WORK
AND IT'S BETTER TO JUST WORK
AND IT'S BETTER TO JUST WORK HARDER.
HARDER.
HARDER. I THINK THAT MENTALITY STILL
I THINK THAT MENTALITY STILL
I THINK THAT MENTALITY STILL PERSISTS IN JAPAN.
PERSISTS IN JAPAN.
PERSISTS IN JAPAN. >> I SEE.
>> I SEE.
>> I SEE. TODAY WE HAD VARIOUS DISCUSSIONS
TODAY WE HAD VARIOUS DISCUSSIONS
TODAY WE HAD VARIOUS DISCUSSIONS ABOUT MONEY.
ABOUT MONEY.
ABOUT MONEY. >> FROM AMONG THESE SUBJECTS, HE
>> FROM AMONG THESE SUBJECTS, HE
>> FROM AMONG THESE SUBJECTS, HE WILL CHOOSE THE ONE HE WANTS TO
WILL CHOOSE THE ONE HE WANTS TO
WILL CHOOSE THE ONE HE WANTS TO PROMOTE TO THE WORLD AS THE BEST
PROMOTE TO THE WORLD AS THE BEST
PROMOTE TO THE WORLD AS THE BEST OF COOL FROM JAPAN.
OF COOL FROM JAPAN.
OF COOL FROM JAPAN. >> WHICH ONE WILL IT BE TODAY?
>> WHICH ONE WILL IT BE TODAY?
>> WHICH ONE WILL IT BE TODAY? LET'S SEE.
LET'S SEE.
LET'S SEE. NO TIPPING.
NO TIPPING.
NO TIPPING. >> YEAH!
>> YEAH!
>> YEAH! >> THEY HAVE CHOSEN AS TODAY'S
>> THEY HAVE CHOSEN AS TODAY'S
>> THEY HAVE CHOSEN AS TODAY'S BEST OF COOL IS THE CUSTOM OF NO
BEST OF COOL IS THE CUSTOM OF NO
BEST OF COOL IS THE CUSTOM OF NO DIPPING IN JAPAN, DESPITE
DIPPING IN JAPAN, DESPITE
DIPPING IN JAPAN, DESPITE EXCELLENCE SERVICE QUALITY.
EXCELLENCE SERVICE QUALITY.
EXCELLENCE SERVICE QUALITY. >> WHY DON'T THE AMERICANS QUIT
>> WHY DON'T THE AMERICANS QUIT
>> WHY DON'T THE AMERICANS QUIT A TROUBLESOME CUSTOM?
A TROUBLESOME CUSTOM?
A TROUBLESOME CUSTOM? SO TIRESOME.
SO TIRESOME.
SO TIRESOME. IT'S GREAT WE DON'T HAVE THAT
IT'S GREAT WE DON'T HAVE THAT
IT'S GREAT WE DON'T HAVE THAT HERE.
HERE.
HERE. BUT BECAUSE OF THAT, WHEN WE GO
BUT BECAUSE OF THAT, WHEN WE GO
BUT BECAUSE OF THAT, WHEN WE GO OVERSEAS, IT'S A BIG HEADACHE.
OVERSEAS, IT'S A BIG HEADACHE.
OVERSEAS, IT'S A BIG HEADACHE. >> YES, HOW MUCH TO GIVE.
>> YES, HOW MUCH TO GIVE.
>> YES, HOW MUCH TO GIVE. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. THAT'S THE PROBLEM.
THAT'S THE PROBLEM.
THAT'S THE PROBLEM. >> SO IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH
>> SO IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH
>> SO IS EVERYONE HAPPY WITH THIS CHOICE?
THIS CHOICE?
THIS CHOICE? >> VERY GOOD.
>> VERY GOOD.
>> VERY GOOD. LET'S GO.
LET'S GO.
LET'S GO. NO TIPS, EVER.
NO TIPS, EVER.
NO TIPS, EVER. >> PROFESSOR, HOW WAS IT?
>> PROFESSOR, HOW WAS IT?
>> PROFESSOR, HOW WAS IT? >> I HOPE NO TIPPING SPREADS
>> I HOPE NO TIPPING SPREADS
>> I HOPE NO TIPPING SPREADS OUT.
OUT.
OUT. IT MAKES THINGS SO SIMPLE.
IT MAKES THINGS SO SIMPLE.
IT MAKES THINGS SO SIMPLE. YOU'RE USUALLY PAYING FOR A
YOU'RE USUALLY PAYING FOR A
YOU'RE USUALLY PAYING FOR A SERVICE CHARGE ALREADY, TO PAY
SERVICE CHARGE ALREADY, TO PAY
SERVICE CHARGE ALREADY, TO PAY MORE ON TOP OF THAT IS QUITE A
MORE ON TOP OF THAT IS QUITE A
MORE ON TOP OF THAT IS QUITE A BOTHER FOR US.
BOTHER FOR US.
BOTHER FOR US. >> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT.
>> RIGHT. I'D LIKE TO SEE IT SPREAD.
I'D LIKE TO SEE IT SPREAD.
I'D LIKE TO SEE IT SPREAD. HOW WAS IT?
HOW WAS IT?
HOW WAS IT? >> VERY GOOD.
>> VERY GOOD.
>> VERY GOOD. VERY COOL.
VERY COOL.
VERY COOL. >> WELL, THANK YOU EVERYONE AND
>> WELL, THANK YOU EVERYONE AND
>> WELL, THANK YOU EVERYONE AND WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME ON COOL
WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME ON COOL
WE'LL SEE YOU NEXT TIME ON COOL JAPAN.
JAPAN.
JAPAN. >> BYE BYE.
    You must  Log in  to get the function.
Tip: Click on the article or the word in the subtitle to get translation quickly!

Loading…

Cool Japan - money

17 Folder Collection
Takaaki Inoue published on May 18, 2020
More Recommended Videos
  1. 1. Search word

    Select word on the caption to look it up in the dictionary!

  2. 2. Repeat single sentence

    Repeat the same sentence to enhance listening ability

  3. 3. Shortcut

    Shortcut!

  4. 4. Close caption

    Close the English caption

  5. 5. Embed

    Embed the video to your blog

  6. 6. Unfold

    Hide right panel

  1. Listening Quiz

    Listening Quiz!

  1. Click to open your notebook

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔