B1 Intermediate US 35 Folder Collection
After playing the video, you can click or select the word to look it up in the dictionary.
Loading...
Report Subtitle Errors
CELEBRATE EASTER, AND PASSOVER.
SECRETARY DE ROSA AND
DIRECTOR.
LET'S GIVE YOUÑi SOME FACTS, PLN
TRUE FACTS.
HERE IS THE GOOD NEWS.
THE CURVE CONTINUES TO FLATTEN.
WE TALKED ALL ÑiALONG, QUOTE,Ñii
UNQUOTE, THE EXPERTS SAID YOU
COULDi] HAVE A HIGH POINT,
IMMEDIATE DROP-OFF OR A PLATEAU.
IT APPEARS WE HAVE A PLATEAU.
IT'S FLATTENING, THE FLATTENING
OF THE CURVE.
INCREASES SLOW DOWN.
ITÑi FLATTENS OUT FOR A PERIOD
TIME.
NOBODY KNOWS HOW LONG BECAUSE
NOBODY HAS BEEN HERE BEFORE.
BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE NUMBER OF
TOTAL ADMISSIONS, 18,000,
18,000, 18,000, 18,000, THAT'S
DEFINITELY A FLATTENING.
THAT IS GOODÑi NEWS.
STILL GOING UP A LITTLE BIT, BY
THE WAY.Ñi
BUT A BASIC FLATTENING ASÑi
OPPOSED TO INCREASING GAPS.
THE TOTAL NUMBER OF
HOSPITALIZATIONS NET DOWN, A
LITTLE BIT UP, A LITTLE BIT DOWN
BUT OVERALL JUST FOLLOW THE
LINE.
DON'T GET CAUGHT UP IN THE
DAY-TO-DAY.
AS WE SAY, THREE-DAY ROLLING
AVERAGE, WHICH IS MORE ACCURATE
THAN ANY ONE DAY IS DOWN AGAIN.
THE OLD DEMARCATION, REGULAR BED
IN THE HOSPITAL IS GONE.
ALMOST EVERY BEDñr IS BASICALLYN
ICU BED.
NET CHANGE IN ICU ADMISSIONS IS
ALSO DOWN.
INTUBATIONS IS REAL.
INTUBATIONS IS THE WORSTñr SIGNi
MOST OFTEN DO NOT SQ OFF THE
VENTILATOR, 87%, DEPENDING WHOñ
YOU TALK TO.
THAT'S A SCARY NUMBER.
WHEN THAT'S DOWN,Ñi THAT'S çóTj
THAT'S GOOD NEWS.
WE WERE WORRIED ABOUT THE SPREAD
FROMÑi NEW YORK CITY TOñrxDÑi S
UPSTATE AND WE'VE BEEN
AGGRESSIVE WHEN WE GET A CLUSTER
SPOT THAT'S ACTING UP, WE JUMP
ON IT.
THIS IS=
MQI=9NG THROUGH DRY GRASS WITH A
THROUGH WITHçó A COUPLE OF xDEM
WIND UPÑi ONçONE SIDE OF THE FID
AND EMBERSÑi START TO CATCH FIR
AND THAT'S A CLUSTER.ñr
HAVE YOU TO RUNñr OVER TO THOSE
T
THEY GROW.
YOU SEE THE STABILIZATION THERE
ANDçó THAT HAS BEEN
THIS IS A NEW TAKE ON ÑiIT.
WEçóçóçó TALK ABOUT NETçó [email protected]&H%
HOSPITALIZATIONS.
THIS IS THE NEW NUMBER OF çóCOV
HOSPITALIZATIONS TO DID DATE.
THIS IS HOW MANY NEW ÑiCOVIDçó
DIAGNOSES OR PEOPLE WALKING INTO
THE HOSPITAL HADÑi çóÑii]COVID.r
SO STILL ABOUT 2,000 PEOPLE A
DAY ARE WALKING IN OR BEING
DIAGNOSED WITH COVID.
YOU'RE STILL INCREASING THE
HOSPITAL POPULATION.
INITIALLY, BY 2,000 PEOPLE WHO
WERE TESTING POSITIVE FOR COVID.
BUT ONxD THE OTHER SIDE OF THE
HEALTH CARE SYSTEM,çó PEOPLE AR
BEING DISCHARGED ON THE OTHER
END.
SO THE NET IS WHAT WE TALK ABOUr
BECAUSE WE'VE ALWAYS TALKED
ABOUT WHERE YOU POUR THE WATER
IN THE GLASS AND THE GLASS
OVERFILLS, WHERE THE HOSPITAL
SYSTEM HANDLE THE NUMBER OFÑi
PEOPLE COMING IN.
THAT'S WHY WE'VE BEEN STUDYING
THE NET.
BUT THIS SAYS TAKE A DEEP
BREATH.
YOU STILL HAVE 2,000 PEOPLE PER
DAY WHO ARE COMING IN TO THE
HOSPITAL SYSTEM.
AND THE TERRIBLE NEWS IS AS
TERRIBLE AS IT GETS AND THE
WORST NEWS I'VE HAD TO DELIVER
TO THE PEOPLE OF THIS STATE AS
GOVERNOR OF NEW YORK AND THE
WORST NEWS I HAD TO LIVE WITH ON
A PERSONAL LEVEL.
NUMBER OFÑi DEATHS IS 161, NOT
BAD AS IT HAS BEEN IN THE PAST
BUT BASICALLY FLAT AND A
HORRIFIC NUMBER OF PAIN AND
SORROW.
671 PEOPLE WHO PASSED AWAY ON
EASTER SUNDAY.
FOR ME, I'M CATHOLIC.
EASTER SUNDAY ISq THE HIGH HOLY
DAY IN MANY WAYS AND ONE OF THE
HIGH HOLY DAYS AND TO HAVE THIS
HAPPEN OVER THIS WEEKEND IS
REALLY, REALLY ESPECIALLY
TRAGIC.
AND THEY ARE ALLñr IN OUR THOUGS
ANDñrçó PRAYERS.
THAT RAISES THE DEATH TOTAL TO
10,056.
AGAIN FOR PERSPECTIVE, ñr10,270
LIVES WERE LOST IN 9/11,çó AND
THAT CHANGED EVERY NEW YORKER
WHO WAS IN A POSITION TO
APPRECIATE ON THAT DAY WHAT
HAPPENED.
AND THE NUMBER OF LIVES LOST WAS
HORRIFIC AFTER 9/11.
AND THE GRIEF WAS HORRIFIC.ñr
WHY NEW YORK?
WHY ARE WE SEEING THIS LEVEL OF
INFECTION?
WHY CITIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY?
IT'S VERY SIMPLE.
IT'S ABOUTñrxD DENSITY.ñr
IT'S THE NUMBER OFx$$vq.PL$
AND=
Ñi ATçóT
IT'SÑ'i VERY GOODçó ATÑi ÑiSPREi
ñrÑiCONTAGIOUYÑñ
çóÑiÑiñrÑi
ANPi THEçó DENSçó ENVIRONMENTS
ITS FEEDINGñKci GROUNDS.
WEÑi LEARNED THAT LESSON VERY
iE5UJ ÑiN&QñÑiÑi WExD HAHrçóÑiñ%
ËzñrÑi INñrÑiñrçìC%T
$
IT'SÑi NOTÑi INçóÑiÑiñr
CONCERNEd ABOUTçóxD EARLYñr ÑiOr
WE DIDN'T KZ+■ WD
WHYÑi NEW ñrçóÑiçóñrñrÑiROCHELL?
ezçóñrxDñrçóñrçóÑiç?$QQ'SEçóxDçi
ìC%HERINGS WITHxDçóñrxD HUNDREDÑ
T%UáLE A LIKE ÑiñrÑiÑi
WILDFIRE.
IT'S NOT JUST A DENSEçó CITY OR
DENSE COMMUNITY.
IT'S ANY PERSONÑi IN THE DENSE
ENVIRONMENT.
YOU CAN BE IN A VERY RURALxD
COUNTY.
PEOPLE THINK NEW YORK, IT'S ALL
NEW YORK CITY.ñr
NO, NO.
WE HAVE COUNTIES THAT HAVE MORE
COWS THAN PEOPLE.
BY ÑiPOPULATION.
YOU CAN BE ANYWHERE.
IF YOU A PERSON WHO IS INFECTED
IN A ROOM OF 200, 300, 400
PEOPLE, NOW YOU HAVE A PROBLEM.
THIS GOES BACK TO THE SPANISH -"
U ADES, OTHER CITIES DIDN'TÑi
CANCEL PARADES.
WE WENT THROUGH THESE NUMBERS
AD THE DECISION WITH
THE ST.Ñi PATRICK DAYÑiÑiç
WHICH BERNADETTE STILL HAS NOT
FORGIVEN ME FOR.
YOU CAN HAVE A PARADEñr IN A
RELATIVELY SMALL CITY BUT YOU
BRING PEOPLur TOGETHERÑixDok AN
VIRUS HAS A FEEDING FRENZY.çóxDr
WHERE DO WEñr GO FROMq HERE?çó
REOPENING, WHICH EVRQBODY WANTS
TO DO AND EVERYBODY WANTS TO DO
YESTERDAY.
I AM AT THE TOP OFÑir
AS MUCH AS WEÑi HAVE THISñr EMO,
WE WANT IT TO HAPPEN, WE WANT IT
TO HAPPENÑi NOW AND WE CAN'T TA
THIS ANYMORE.
EVERYBODY FEELS THE SAME.
IT IS A DELICATE BALANCE.
REMEMBER IT HAS NEVER BEENÑi DO
BEFORE.
NONE OF THIS HAS BEEN
BEFORE.
ANYONE WHO SAYS TOÑi YOU, I KNO%
I qKNOW.
YOU DON'T KNOW, BECAUSE NOBODY
KNOWS.
THAT'S THE ONE THING WE HAVE
LEARNED OVER AND OVER ñrAGAIN.
AND THIS PLACE HAS NEVER DONEçó
THIS BEFORE.
áALSO, YOU LOOK ARO,
YOU SEE WARNING SIGNS FROM
COUNTRIES WHO HAVE OPENED.
MYñrñr POINT IS THROUGH OUR TEA
WANT TO LEARN FROM THOSE OTHERx
COUNTRIES.
FRANKLY.
AND I WANT TO BE SURE WE KNOW
FROM OUR STUDYING AND ASSESSMENT
OF WHAT'S GONE ON IN OTHER
COUNTRIES THAT WHAT ÑiWORKED, WT
DIDN'T WORK,ñr ANDÑi LEARN FROM
THOSE LESSONS.
4ñr CAN GO BACK AND LOOK AT =
WUHAN PROVINCE, LIT AND SOUTHñr
KOREA, AND SEEçó WHAT THEY DID D
WHAT WORKED AND WHAT DIDN'T t(
WORK.
yñrçóÑi'S 3
WE'LL LISTEN TO THEw3 EXPERTS.
WE'LL FOLLOW THE DATA.
THIS IS A DELICATE BALANCE.
WHAT AREÑi WEçóçó DOING ON REOP?
WE ARE EASING ISOLATION WEÑi WA
TO INCREASE ECONOMIC ACTIVITY.Ñi
THAT WILL HAPPEN THROUG$ñr A REL
ABRASION OF WHATÑi ARE ESSENTIA
WORKERS.
REMEMBER, WE NEVER TURNED OFF
THE ECONOMY, RIGHT?
THE ECONOMY IS STILL
FUNCTIONING.
YOU CAN GET IN YOUR xDCAR, GET
GASOLINE.
yMU CAN GO■!#■ TO THE GROCERY Si
CAN YOUçó SHOP.
YOU CAN GET ON A BUS.
THE ECONOMY IS FUNCTIONING.
WExD NEVER TURNED IT OFF.
WE TURNED IT WAY, WAY DOWN.
AND IT'S JUST THE ESSENTIAL
SERVICES THAT HAVE BEEN
OPERATING, BUT THE ESSENTIAL
SERVICES HAVE ALL BEEN
OPERATING.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING, IN
ESSENCE, ON THEÑi ÑiREOPENING,
RECALIBRATING WHAT IS ESSENTIAL,
RIGHT?
YOU'LL START TO OPEN THAT VALVE
ON THE ECONOMIC ACTIVITYÑi AND
YOU'LL TURN THAT VALVE VERYçó
SLOWLYÑiçóçóÑiÑiçóÑiçóÑiñr REOP
MORE ESSENTIAL ÑiWORKERS.
DO IT CAREFULLY.
DO IT SLOWLYt( AND DO ITñr
INTELLIGENTLY, MOREÑi TESTING A MORE PRECAUTIONS.TpAT THE SAMEñ
OPENING THAT VALVE.
MORE TESTING, SOÑYOU HAVE MORE
INFORMATION ABOUTÑiÑixD WHO SHO
COMING IN.
THE METER IS THE INFECTION RATE,
THOSE DAILY HOSPITALIZATION
RATES AND THERE IS A CAUSE AND
EFFECT.
YOU HAVE DENSITY.
YOTó HAVE MORE PEOPLE INFECTING
OTHER PEOPLE.
■ U WILL SEExD IT WITHIN ApM
OF DAYS IN THEÑi HOSPITALIZATIO
RATE.Ñi
SO, YES,Ñi OPEN THE VALVE xDSLO.
ADVISED BYçEXPERTS.
KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE METER.
THEÑi METER IS THE ININFECTION
RATE.
ANDçó WATCH THAT INFECTION RATE.
IF YOU SEE THAT INFECTIEnBIQ
UNDERMINING EVERYTHING WE'VE
ACCOMPLISHED THUS FAR, THEN YOU
KNOW YOU'VEw3 OPENEDxD THEÑi VAO
FAST. THATñr ISç'Q DELICATE BALANCE
THAT WE HAVE TOÑi WORK THROUGH.i
ANDçó THAT IS WHATxD HAS NEVER
DONE BEFORE.
AND NOBODY CAN TELL YOU TODAY I
KNOW HOW TO DO THAT, BECAUSE
IT'S NEVER HAPPENED.
FIRST WE COME UP WITH A
REOPENING PLAN.
I'M NOT INTERESTED IN POLITICAL
OPINIONS.%T RRz INTERESTED IN W
EXPERTS SAY ABOUT THIS.
TO THE BEST THEY CAN TELLçó YOU
BUT YOUpH
EXPERTS.
THEY CAN STUDY SOUTH KOREA,
CHINA, THEY CAN STUDY ALL THE
DATA THAT WE HAVE.
YOU HAVE ECONOMIC EXPERTS THAT
CAN HELP YOU DECIDE WHATxD IS T
NEXTÑi NOTCH OF ESSENTIALÑi WORó
BUT THAT IS A REAL PLANÑi ANDjFT
HAS TO BE DEVELOPED AND THAT HAi
TO BE SMART.Ñi
THE WIDER THEÑi GEOGRAPHIC AREA
FOR THAT PLAN THE BETTER.
THIS VIRUS DOESN'T UNDERSTAND
GOVERNMENTALÑi BOUNDARIES.
SO YOU, VIRUS, HAS TO STOP AND
FOLLOW MY i]RULES?
NO.
THEÑi VIRUS FOLLOWS ITS OWN
BOUNDARIES AND GUIDELINES AND IT
DOESN'T HAVE ANY.
THE GEOGRAPHIC AREAÑi THAT ISñr
ECONOMIC çóAREA, THAT'S THE
RELEVANT AREA WE HAVE TO BEçó
LOOKING AT.
YOU HAVEÑi TO COORDINATE THEÑi
SYSTEMS.
YOU CAN'T STARTÑi THE ECONOMIC
SYSTEM WITHOUT STARTING THE
TRANSPORTATIONxD SYSTEM.
ANDñr IFÑi YOU CAN'T RUN THE
TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM YOU CAN'T
OPEN THE ECONOMY.
JUST CAN'T HAPPEN.
YOU HAVE TOÑi COORDINATE THE
SCHOOLS WITH THE TRANSPORTATION
SYSTEM WITH THE ECONOMIC SYSTEM.
THESE SYSTEMS WORK IN
COORDINATION.
THEY'RE BIG GEARS AND EACH GEARD
INTERMESHS WITH T0Eb OTHER GEAR.
YOU CAN'T START ONE GEAR WITH
THE OTHER GEAR STOPPED.
THAT'S THE COORDINATION.
YOU'RE GOING TO NEED SUPPORT AND
SMART LEGISLATION PASSED BY THE
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT THAT ACTUALLY
ATTENDS TOÑi THE NEED.
51■ SITUATIONS.
TEST SOMETHING GOING TO BE THE
KEY, NEW FRONTIER FOR US ALSO.
THIS STATE IS PROBABLY THE MOST
AGGRESSIVE STATE IN THE NATION
IN ACTVq
UP.
WE TEST MOSG THAN ANY OTHER
STATE.
WE TEST MORE THAN ANY OTHER
COUNTRY.
WE TEST MORE THAN THE LEADING
STATES COMBINED INÑi TESTING BU
THAT'S STILL NOT ENOUGH.
=sEz WE HAVE TO DO MORE.
AND WE KNOW THAT THE
WORK.
THExD MASKS WORK, THE GLOVESñr ,
THE TEMPERATURE TAKINGÑi WORKS.D
AND WE HAVE TO REMEMBER TO STAY,
WE HAVEçó ACHIEVED MUCH.
CONNECTICUT, NEW JERSEY,
PENNSYLVANIA, DELAWARE, RHODE
ISLAND FOR THE PAST COUPLE OFÑi
DAYS ABOUT HOW
WITH THE REOPENING PLAN, AND CAN
WE WORK TOGETHER ON Añr>í9MOPEN%
PLAN?
ANDñr WE'LL BE HAVING AN
ANNOUNCEMENT WITH OTHER
GOVERNORS ABOUT JUST THAT, THE
REOPENING PLAN.
THEq OPTIMUM IS TO HAVE ASñr
COORDINATED Açó REGIONAL PLAN A
YOU CAN.
I UNDERSTAND INTERGOVERNMENTAL
AN w3cOXYMORON.Ñyp
TO THE EXTENT WEñr CAN WORK WIT
CONNECTICUT, NEW JERSEY, RHODE
ISLAND,Ñi DELAWARE AND
PENNSYLVANIA, I WANT TO.
IT ISçóÑi SMARTER FOR EVERYONE,
PEOPLE OF THEIR STATE AND FOR
THE PEOPLE OF MY STATE.
AND THIS IS A TIMEçó FOR SMART,
COMPETENT,çóñr EFFECTIVE GOVERNi
I CAN SAY TO THEÑi PEOPLE OF TH
STATE, WE DID EVERYTHINGÑi WE
COULD TO THE BEST OF OUR
ABILITY.
AND THE OPTIMUM IS A
GEOGRAPHICALLY COORDINATED PLANr
a5"%■RCUMSTANCES.HAVE DIFFERENT
IN FACT, I DON'T BELIEVE WE
SHOULD HAVE AÑi UNIFORM PLAN
WITHOUT RECOGNIZING THE Ñi
STATE-BY-STATE DISTINCTIONS.
BUT TO THE EXTENT WE CAN
COORDINATE, WE SHOULD AND WE
WILL.
LAST POINT, AND THIS IS A
PERSONAL POINT.
WHEN IS IT OVER?
I HAVE THISt( CONVERSATION 100
TIMES A DAY.
I HAD IT LAST NIGHT WITH WITH MY
DAUGHTERS.
WHENi] IS IT OVER?
IT'S A■i DIFFICULT CONVERSATION
BECAUSE PEOPLE WANT ITÑi TO BE
OVER SO BADLY, RIGHT?
I WANTñr THE FEAR TO STOP.
I WaN! THE ANXIETY TO STOP.ñr
I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TO WORRY
ABOUT MYñr BROTHER ANYMORE.
WITH I DON'T WANT TOÑ)H$AVE TO
WORRY ABOUT MY DAUGHTERS.
I DON'T WANT TO HAVE TOÑi WORRY
ABOUT MY MOTHER.
I WANTÑi IT OVER I WANT TO GET T
OF THE HOUSE.
I WANT TO GET BACKÑpáO NORMALCY.
I'VE BEEN LIVING UNDERÑi THIS
WEIRD, DISORIENTING, FRIGHTENING
PLACE.
I'M AFRAID TO TOUCH PEOPLE.
THIS IS -- ITÑi VIOLATES THE HUN
BEHAVIOR AND NEEDS.
WHEN IS IT OVER?
IT'S NOT GOING TO BE OVER LIKE
THAT.
IT'S NOT GOING TO BE WE FLICK A
SWITCH AND EVERYBODY COMES OUT
OF THEIR HOUSE AND GETS IN THEIR
CAR AND WAVES AND HUGS EACH
OTHER AND THE ECONOMY ALL STARTS
UP.
I WOULD LOVE TOq SAY THAT IS
GOING TO HAPPEN.
IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN THAT
WAY.
IT CAN'T HAPPEN THAT WAY.
CAN IT HAPPEN IN SOME
COMMUNITIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY
WHERE, FRANKLY, THEYi] HAVE VER
LOW INFECTION RATES AND THEY
COULD COME UP WITH THE TESTING
REGIMEN WHERE IF THEY FIND ONE
OR TWO CASES, THEY QUICKLY JUMP
ON THOSE ONE OR TWO, AND THEY
ISOLATE AND THEY TRACK?
YES.
BUT IS THAT GOING TO HAPPEN
HERE?
NO.
IS THAT GOING TO HAPPEN IN ANY
COMMUNITY THAT HAS A SIGNIFICANT
ISSUE?
NO.
THERE IS GOING TO BE NO
EPIPHANY.
THERE IS GOING TO BE NO MORNING
WHeRj THE HEADLINE SAYS,Ñi
HALLELUJAH, IT'S OVER.
THAT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.
WHAT WILL HAPPEN IS THAT THERE
WILL BE POINTS OF RESOLUTION
OVER TIME.
WHAT DOES THAT MEAN?
THERE WILL BE POINTS OF
RESOLUTION.
THERE WILL BE POINTS WHERE WE
CAN SAY, WE'VE ACCOMPLISHED
SOMETHING.
WE SHOULD FEEL BETTER.Ñi
WE SHOULD FEEL MORE CALM.
WE SHOULD FEELxD MORE RELAXED A
IT WILL BEe1 INCREMENTAL.ñrçó
I WAS AFRAID IT WAS GOING TO
INFECT MY FAMILY NOM"TTER WHAT
I DID.Ñi
WE'RE PASTxD[
IF YOU IQ%=9M1ñ YOUR FAMILY WON
GET INFECTED.
FEEL GOOD ABOUT THAT.ÑiÑi
WE COULD HAVE GOTTEN TO
WHERE IT SAYS WE CAN'T CONTROL
THIS DAMN THING.
YOU CLOSE THE DOOR.
IT COMES UNDER THE
YOU COULDÑi HAVE GOTTEN THERE.
WE'RE NOT ñrTHERE.
THOSEÑi NUMBERS SAY WE CAN CONTL
THE SPREAD.
FEEL GOOD ABOUTñr THAT.
THEñr WORST IS OVER.
YEAH.
IF WE CONTINUE BEING SMART GOING
FORWARD BECAUSE,xD REMEMBER, WE
HAVE THE HAND ON THATñr VALVE, U
TURN THAT VALVE TOO FAST, YOU'LL
SEE THAT NUMBER JUMP RIGHT BACK.
BUT YES, IÑ)R'K YOU CAN SAY THE
WORST IS OVER BECAUSE THE WORST
HERE
THAT'S THE WORST.
THE WORST DOESN'T GET ANY BAD
íh■ THIS WORST.
THE WORST IS PEOPLE DIE.
THAT'SÑiñr THE WORST.
ANDÑi WINSTON CHURCHILL IxD
MENTIONED THE END OF THEÑi
BEGINNING.
YES, WE CAN CONTROLçóxD THE SPR
AND WE CAN REDUCE THE NUMBER OF
PEOPLE WHO DIE AND OUR HEALTH
CARE SYSTEM CAN DO PHENOMENAL
WORK.
IT HAS NOT OVERWHELMED THE
HEALTH CARE SYSTEM.
WE HAVE CONTROLLED THE SPREAD.
AND THERE IS CONFIDENCE TO BE
TAKEN IN THAT.
AND THAT'S AN ACCOMPLISHMENT.
AND IT WAS A HECK OF AN
ACCOMPLISHMENT.
THOSE÷ HEALTH CARE WORKERS FOR
THE REST OF MY LIFE, I WILL SAY
NOTHING BUT THANK YOU TO THEM.
I WAS NOT SURE THAT WE COULD
KEEP THE TIDE FROMÑi OVERWHELMI
OUR HOSPITAL CAPACITY AND WE
DID.
I BELIEVE THE WORST IS OVER IFÑ
WE CAN CONTINUE TO BE SMART AND
IÑi BELIEVE WE CANçó NOW START
THE PATH TO NORMALCY ANDñrÑi WE
Y
TO SEE SOME BUSINESSES REOPENING
AND THAT WILL BE BALANCED.
THERE WILL COME A POINT WHERE
THERE'S AN ANNOUNCEMENT THAT WE
HAVE A MEDICAL TREATMENT THAT,
YOU CAN GET SICK BUT THEYñr FOU
ANÑi ANTIVIRAL MEDICATIONÑiÑiÑiN
HELPÑi YOU TREAT THE DISEASE.
SO TAKE ANOTHER DEEP BREATH WHEN
WE GET TO THAT POINT BECAUSE,
OKAY, YOU GET INFECTED BUT
THERE'S A DRUG REGIMEN THAT CAN
HELP YOU.
AND THEN YOU'LL GET TO A POINT
WHERE THEY ANNOUNCE WE HAVE A
PROVEN VACCINE.Ñi
THAT'S REALLY WHEN IT'S OVER.
THEY HAVE AxD VACCINE.
IT'S BEEN TESTED, PROVEN.
THEY CAN PRODUCE IT.
YOU'RE GOING TO GET A VACCINE.
THIS IS THE THINGçó OF THE PAST.
DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.
CLOSE THE CHAPTER.
MOVE ON.
OKAY.
WHEN DO WE GET THERE?
12 TO 18Ñi MONTHS.
I CAN'T BELIEVEçó YOU SAID 12
MONTHS TO 18 MONTHS, AS xD(P)A
SAID TO ME.
IT'S 12çó MONTHS TO 18 MONTHS.
WHEN DR. FAUCI SAYS HOW LONG TO
Açó VACCINE HEñr SAYS 12 TO 18
MONTHS.
FDAñr IS ASKED HOW LONG TILL YO
GET AxD VACCINE?
THEY SAY 12 TO 18 MONTHS.
THATÑi IS THE POINT.
YOU ASK ME, WHENçó CAN IÑi DO AP
BREATH FOR THE FIRST TIME IN
FIVE WEEKS?
WHEN THEY SAY WE HAVEÑi Añrçó V.
THAT,) WHEN IT IS OVER.
BUT THERE WILL BE POINTS BETWEEN
NOW ANDñrÑiÑi THEN WHEN WE SHOUL
MORE CONFIDENT AND BETTER.
I WANT IT TO BE OVER TOMORROW I
GET IT.
I WANT IT TO BE OVER w3TOMORROW.
I WANT IT TO BE OVER TOMORROW
MORE THAN YOU WANT IT TO BE OVER
TOMORROW, BUT THAT'S NOTñr
REALITY.
SO LET'Sñr CALIBRATE OUR
EXPECTATIONS AND, çóÑiçóMEANTIMi
THE COURSE, BECAUSE WE [email protected]&%
ACCOMPLISHEDxD A LOT.ñrñr
THROUGH HEROIC EFFORTS OF POLICE
OFFICERS, TRANSPORTATION WORKERS
WHO SHGK.÷ UP TO DRIVE THOSE
TRAINS AND BUSES EVERY DAY.
PEOPLExD JUST DOING BRAVE,
EXTRAORDINARILY,çó COURAGEOUS
THINGS EVERY DAY, LITERALLY
PUTTING THEIR LIVES AT RISK FOR
THE PUBLIC.ñrÑi
THE PROJECTION MODELS WERE ALL
WRONG.
THEY WERE HIGH,
THAT'S A BAD WORD.
THIS IS WHERE THE INFECTION WILL
GO, IF UNABATED.
WHAT'SÑi QUET MARK ON WHETHER O
NOT YOU CAN ABATE IT?
CAN YOU PUT FORWARD A GOVERNMENT
POLICY?
BUT MORE, WILL PEOPLE LISTEN TO
THEñr GOVERNMENT POLICY? Ce=U■
NEW yO"K I COULD STAND UP HERE
ALL DAY LONG AND SAY YOU MUST
SOCIALÑ
YOU MUST STAY HOME.
IF NEW YORKERSçó DON'Tçó BELIEV,
IF AMERICANS DON'T BELIEVEçó IT
IF THEY QUESTIONÑi THEIR
GOVERNMENT, IF I DON'T HAVE
CREDIBILITY, WHY DO I STAND HERE
AND GO THROUGH ALL THE FACTS?
I'M GOTxD ASKING ANY NEW YORKERO
TAKE MY WORD FORçó ANYTHING.
I'Mçó NOT
TAKE MY WORDÑi FOR IT.
[email protected] ARE THE FACTS.
I'LL GIVE YOU THE FACTS.
THE GOOD xDFACT, THE BAD FACTS,
UGLY FACTS.
YOU GET ALL THEñr FACTS.çóxD
THEY'VE DONE THINGS THAT THEY
NEVER DREAMED THAT THEY WOULD
DO.
AND THEY'VE ACTUALLY MADE
SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS.Ñi
DO NOTÑi REVERSE THE PROGRESS W
HAVE MADE IN OUR ZEAL TO REOPEN
KpWE WILL DO IT, BECAUSE WE ARE
NEW YORK TOUGH AND TOUGH IS NOT
JUST TOUGH.
WE KNOW WHATxD TOUGH IS.
BUT TOUGH IS ALSO SMART.
TOUGH IS ALSO UNITED AND ÑiSMAR
ANDñr TOUGH IS ALSO DISCIPLINED
AND ÑiTOUGH, MOST IMPORTANTLY,Ñ
INTU
INTUITIVE.çó
TOUGHEST PEOPLE, ARE NEW
YORKERS.Ñi
QUESTION'M■xD
[ INAUDIBLE ]xD
>> IS THAT SOMETHING HAPPENINGÑ
ELSEWHERE IN THE STATXK IS THAT
SOMETHING WE CAN HELP çóWITH?
>> YOU'REÑi TALKING ABOUT MEDIC
EQUIPMENT FOR HOSPITALS?
>> YES.Ñiñr
(/=55■ENTÑi SPECIFICALLY BUT SO
KNOW HOW THIS WORKS ON Açó DAIL
BASIS, EVERY HOSPITAL DOES AN
INVENTORY THAT THEY SEND TO US
THAT SAYS WHAT THEY HAVE AND
WHAT THEY NEED ANDxD ANY HOSPIT
THAT IS SHORT, IN URGENT NEED OF
ANYTHING, WE PROVIDE THEM WITHÑ.
WE DO NOT HAVE ANY HOSPITAL THAT
HAS SAID TO US, WE HAVE AN
URGENT NEED FOR X THAT WE HAVEÑ
NOT BEEN ABLE TOçóÑi FULFILL.
TWO çóCAVEATS.
YOU CAN HAVE EMPLOYEES IN THE
HOSPITALÑi WHO
THIS PROTOCOL.
I DON'T LIKE WHAT THE HOSPITAL
ISçó TELLING ME TO DO.
THAT'S A DIFFERENT SET OF
ISSUES.
YOU CAN HAVE A HOSPITAL SAY I
HAVE A THREE-DAY SUPPLY AND THAT
MAKES ME VERY NERVOUS I NORMALLY
HAVE AÑi TWO-MONTH SUPPLY.çó
YES, I KNOW THAT.
NOBODY HAS A TWO-MONTH SUPPLYçóF
ANYTHING.
ñÑi
SO OPERATING ON THAT TIMETABLE
THAT'S WHERE WE ARE.
JIM?
>> AFTER RECEIVING THAT QUESTION
YESTERDAY WE REACHED OUT TO THE
HOSPITALS OF NEW YORK CITY,
METASIS NETWORK THAT WOULD LIKE
SOME NEWÑi SWABS.
WE AREÑi SENDING THEMÑiÑi 200 T
KITS TODAY.
THEY'RE NOT OUT.
THEY WANTED SOME IN THE FUTURE.
TO THE GOVERNOR'S POINT I WAS ON
THE PHONE WITH ABOUTçó A DOZEN
HOSPITAL SYSTEMS TODAY.
AND PEOPLE GET NERVOUS RUNNING
OUT OF MASKS AND THINGS LIKE
THAT, BUT OFTEN THEY HAVE A çó
30-DAY SUPPLY, 25-DAY SUPPLY AND
WE MONITOR THAT ON■i A DAY-TO-D
BASIS WITH çóTHEM.
IF THEY NEED IT, WE'LL SEND IT
TO THEM.
>> HEALTH CARE WORKERS ARE
SAYING THAT THEY'RE BEING ASKED
WITH THEÑi FIRST ÑiCAVEAT?
>> YES.
MELISSA SPOKE TO THAT YESTERDAY
ON THE VARIOUS PROTOCOLS AND
WE'RE WORKINGñr CLOSELY WITH TH
HOSPITALS AND FRONT LINE WORKERS
TO GET THEM THE NEEDEDçó SUPPLI.
>> BERNADETTE?
>> TALKING ABOUT REOPENING THE
ECONOMY BUT ALSO SPECIFIC TO
SCHOOLS, WHAT WOULD HAVE TO
HAPPEN FIRST FORw3 SCHOOLS TO ON
sPá(R#ICALLY IN NEW YORK CITY Ii
REGARDS TO THIS PLAN?
>> THEY HAVE TO WORK TOGETHER.
YOU CAN'T OPENÑi ONE SYSTEM, AN
ANALOGY AND METAPHOR THAT,
DOSF'T WORK FOR ANYONE EXCEPT
FOR ME BUT THAT'S OKAY BECAUSE
IT WORKFORCE ME.
YOU HAVE THREE BIGÑi GEARS,
TRANSPORTATION, ECONOMIC,
SCHOOLS.
LET'S TAKE JUST THOSE THREE.
YOU STARTñr TURNING ONE GEAR.
THEY ALL INTERMECHLT SH.
YOU HAVE TO TURN THE OTHER TWO
GEARS.
YOU CAN'T TEL÷r ME TOçó GOÑi BA
W]rIñrçó IN NEW YORK CITY IF YO
DON'T HAVE THEçó TRANSIT SYSTEM
OPERATING.
I TAKE THE TRAIN FROMñrçó
WESTCHESTER TO NEW YORK CITY.
I CAN'T GO BACK TO WORK UNLESS
WE HAVE THE TRAIN, UNLESS YOU
WANT EVERYONE TO DRIVE, WHICH
WILL BE PANDEMONIUM IN FOUR
MINUTES.
WHO IS GOING TO WATCH [email protected]
CHILDREN IF THE SCHOOLS ARE
CLOSED, ÑiRIGHT?
FOR MANY WORKING PEOPLE, THAT'S
THE ISSUE.
PEOPLE DIDN'T WANT TO CLOSE THE
SCHOOLS BECAUSE THEY SAID THEN
THE HOSPITAL WORKERS WON'T BE
ABLE TO SHOW UP, BECAUSE THE
CHILDREN WILL BE AT HOME.
AND IF HOSPITAL WORKERS DON'T
SHOW UP, THEN YOU HAVE A REAL
PROBLEMñjT(UáQ OUR MAJOR FEAR
WAS THE COLLAPSE OF THE HOSPITAL
SYSTEM.
SO ALL Ovr THESE THINGS HAVE TO
BE COORDINATED AND THEY HAVE TO
BE COORDINATED ON A STATEWIDE
BASIS.
NOW, LOOK, WHEN I CLOSED ALL THr
SCHOOLS IN THE DOWN STATE AREA,
THERE WERE MANY SCHOOLÑi DISTRIS
THAT DISAGREED.Ñi
WE HAVE LIKEq 700 SCHOOL
DISTRICTSÑi IN THE STATE.
RIGHT NOW ALL THE SCHOOL
DISTRICTS BASICALLY MAKE THEIR
OWN ÑiDECISIONS, I KNOW.
BUT IN A SITUATIONÑi LIKE THIS U
CAN'T ALLOW 700 SCHOOL DISTRICTS
TO MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS.
YOU CAN CONSULT.
YOU CAN TRY TO COOPERATE, ET
CETERA.
BUT WE HAVE TO HAVE ONE PLAN AT
THE END OF FhG DAY, BECAUSE THEN
WE HAVE TO TAKE NEW YORK AND TRY
TO COORDINATE IT WITH NEW JERSEY
AND CONNECTICUT AND DELAWARE AND
PENNSYLVANIA AND RHODE ISLAND TO
THE BEST WE CAN.ÑiÑi
AND THIS VSM■ DOESN'T
UNDERSTAND SCHOOL DISTRICTÑixD
BOUNDARIES.
SCHOOLS, TRANSPORTATION, ÑiJOBS
THEY DON'T WORK ONÑi A COUNTY
BASIS.
IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY.Ñi
SUFFOLK COUNTY IS A NICE
DELINEATION FOR MANY ISSUES BUT
NOT THE ISSUES WE'RE TALKING
ABOUT.
METROPOLITAN AREA,çó THEN YOU HE
UPSTATE.
4(P&HC%LD ARGUE THERE SHOULDxD S
A DIFFERENTIAL BASED ON NUMBERS
OR COULD BE A DIFFERENTIAL.
AND THAT IS GOING TO BE THE
CONVERSATION.
RURAL PARTS OF THE STATE,
TALKED THROUGH.
[ INAUDIBLE QUESTION ]ñrq
>> WE'&E TALKING TO A NUMBER OF
STATES.
AGAIN, WE WANT TO COORDINATE AS
MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
FOCUSING ON A TRI-STATE AREA.
THE MORE WE CAN, BUT YOUxDÑi AL
HAVE TO BALANCE THEq COMPLEXITY
AND UNWIELDINGNESS WITH COMING
UP WITH A PLAN RELATIVELY
QUICKLY THAT WE CANñr AGREE ON.
THAT'S WHAT WE'RE GOING BACK AND
FORTH ON.
WE'RE GOING TO TRY TO WORKxD WI
EVERYONE.
AGAIN, DIFFERENTq STATES IN
DIFFERENT AREAS.
WE NEED COORDINATION FIRST AND
FOREMOST.
THAT'S WHERE OURñr WORKFORCE CO"
YOU HAVE A TOTAL INTERCONNECTION
AMONG THOSE STATES.
PEOPLE LIVE IN NEW YORK CITY,
THEYñr DRIVE TO NEW JERSEY.
YOU LIVE INÑi KKSZ, WORK IN NEW
YORK CITY.Ñi
THAT'S THE PRIMARY PLACE FOR
COORDINATION.
[ INAUDIBLE QUESTION ]
>> ARE YOU READY TO ANNOUNCE A
PLAN LATER TODAY?
>> LATER TODAY, FIND OUTÑi THE
ANNOUNCEMENT.
IF I TELL YOU THE ANNOUNCEMENT
TODAY, WHY WOULD YOU COME HEREx
AT 2:00?çó
EXCEPT FOR MY GREAT WHIT AND
NEXT QUESTION?.4I,-
>> SHOULD THE CITY OF BUFFALO BE
CONSIDERED A HOT SPOT IN THE
STATE OXD NEW YORK, CONSIDERING
THEY'VE GOT THE HIGHEST NUMBER
OF INFECTIONS THROUGHOUT THE
METROPOLITAN AREA?
>> DEPENDS HOW YOU WANT TO
DEFINE HOT SPOT.
WITHIN ONE MILE, FIVE MILES, TEN
MILES, 100 MILES?
[ i]INAUDIBLE QUESTION ]
>> HOW BIG IS A HOT SPOT?
>> I'M NO PUBLIC HEALTH EXPERT.
>> DEPENDS HOW YOU DEFINEÑi HOT
SPOT.xD
IS IT PEOPLE OF 25?
It( CALL THEM CLUSTERS.
YOU HAVE CLUSTERS THAT POP UPxD
ACROSS THE STATE.
AS SOON AS YOU SEE SMOKE AND A
LITTLE FIRE, RUN THERE AND TAMP
IT OUT AS FAST AS YOU CAN.
AND IN BUFFALO, WE'VE HAD
CLUSTERS POP UP.
WESTCHESTER, ROCK LAND.
THEY'VE ALL HADçóÑiÑi CLUSTERS.
>> GOVERNOR, WHEN YOU SAY YOU
BELIEVE THE WORST IS ÑiOVER, AR
YOU IN EFFECT ENCOURAGING THE
TYPE OF BEHAVIOR YOU'RE TRYING
TO PREVENT, THE SORT OF OPTIMISM
THAT MIGHT BRING PEOPLE OUT OFw
THEIR HOMES?
>> NO.
THAT'S WHY I SAID THE EXACT
OPPOSITE 57 TIMES.
STAY THE COURSE.
STAY THE
IT'S WORKING.
STAY THE COURSE.
STAY INSIDE.
TAKE PRECAUTIONS.
TO AN AN)UR+E ,çóÑix:
LEVEL.
BUT FACTS ARE FACTS.
I'M NOT GOING TO LIE TO THE
PUBLIC.
FACTS ARE FACTS.
NUMBERS ARE NUMBERS.
I NEED THE PUBLIC TO -
IN
THE CREDIBILITY OFÑi WHAT WE'RE
DOING, RIGHT?Ñi
CREDIBILITY COMES FROM TWO
ELEMENTS IN MY OPINION.
ARE YOU GIVING ME ALL THEñr
INFORMATION OR ARE YOU SPINNING
ME?
ARE YOUçó DECIDING THAT YOU CAN
TELL ME FACTS BECAUSE Iáe#5
ARE YOU MANIPULATING ME WITH
GIVING ME INFORMATION, WHICH IS
WHATÑi I THINK YOU'RE SUGGESTIN.
NO.
YOU GET ALL THEw3 FACTS.
I'M NOT WORRIED THAT YOU CAN'T
HANDLE INFORMATION.xD
SECOND, WHAT I'M PROPOSING WE DO
IS DRAW FROM THOSExD FACTS.
HERE IS ALL THE INFORMATION I
WORK FOR YOU.
I GIVE YOU ALL THE INFORMATION.
NO SPIN.
NO GLOSS.
NO GLAZING.
HERE ARE THE FACTS.
I'M NOTñr WORRIED THAT YOU CAN'd
YOU'RE GOING TO GET OPTIMISTIC.
YOU'RE IRRATIONAL.
HERE ARE THE FACTS.
SECOND COMPONENT, HERE IS WHAT I
PROPOSE BASED ON THOSE FACTS.i]
I HOPE YOU AGREE WITH ME THAT IT
IS THE INTELLIGENT RESPONSE AND
YOUÑixDr
YOU TO FOLLOW THE PROPOSAL.
IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU.
IF THE ÑiPUBLIC, PEOPLE DON'T
DECIDE, DO SOCIAL DISTANCING,
NOTHING WORKS.
IF THE PEOPLE DON'T DECIDE TO
STAY HOME, NOTHING WORKS.
I COULD NEVER MANDATE 19 MILLION
PEOPLE, STAY INçó
AND ASñr NEW YORKERS, THEY CAN Y
YOU'RE BEING OVERLYi] DRAMATIC,
YOU'RE BEING POLITICAL OR YOU
DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING
ABOUT.
WHAT DO I DO IF 19 MILLION DEFY
THE ORDER?
GO OUT AND ARREST 19ñr MILLION
PEOPLE?
THEY HAVE TO BELIEVE IT.
SO THEY GET ALL THE FACTS.
I'M NOT GOING TO SHAPE THE
INFORMATION THEY GET.
HERE IS MY POLICY BASEDÑi ON TH
NUMBERS AND HERE ISñr WHAT I Ñi3
SUGGEST.
I HOPE YOU BELIEVE IT'S NOT ONLY
CREDIBLE BUT COMPETENT AND SMART
AND I HOPE YOU ACCEPT IT.
THAT'S THE BESTÑi I CAN DO.
>> WITH ALL THE NUMBERS WE HAVE,
AMOUNTñr OF PEOPLE HOSPITALIZED
ARE AT A RECORD HIGH, NUMBER OF
PEOPLEçIN ICU IS ATñr A RECORD
HIGH.
WHATw3 MAKES YOU FEEL CONFIDENT
THAT THE WORST IS OVER?
>> I'M NOT CONFIDENT THAT THE
WORSTÑiçó IS OVER.ÑiÑiq
I
NUMBERS, 18,000, 18,000, 18,000,
THE NUMBERS SUGGEST A
PLATEAUING.
THAT'S WHAT THE NUMBERS SAY.çó
I ALSO SAY WHATEVERÑi THOSEñr
NUMBERS SAY IS A DIRECTñr RESUL
OF WHAT WE DO.ñr
IFÑi YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID YO
WILL SEE THOSE NUMBERS GO RIGHT
BACK UP ÑiçóTOMORROW.
PERIOD.Ñiçóçó
THE WORST CAN BE OVER ANDÑi IT
OVER UNLESSÑi WE DO SOMETHING
RECKLESS.
AND YOU CAN TURN THOSE NUMBERS
ON TWO OR THREE DAYSçó OF RECKLS
BEHAVIOR.
%Q
YOU GET ON THE SCALEñrçói] EVER
MORNING.w3
I LOST FOUR ÑiPOUNDS, FIVE POUN.
YOU'RE DECLARED YOU'VE LOST FIVE
POUNDS FOREVER?
NO.
I LOSE SELF DISCIPLINE TODAY AND
I GOçó HOME AND I EAT LIKEÑi
AND I'LL GET ON THAT SCALE IT
WILL GIVE MEÑi A DIFFERENT NUMB
TODAY.
IT IS DIRECTLY A RESULT OFÑi WH
YOU DO TODAY.
THE NUMBER IS DOWN BECAUSE WE
BROUGHT THE NUMBER DOWN.Ñi
GOD DID NOT DO THAT.
FATE DID NOT DO THAT.
DESTINY DID NOT DO THAT.
A LOT OF PAIN AND SUFFERING DID
THAT.
AND AND THAT'S WHY WE LOST FIVE
POUNDS BECAUSE WE WENT OUT EVERY
DAY, EXERCISED AND BURNED MORE
CALORIES THAN WE ATE.
THAT'S HOW IT W$
IT'S MATH.
AND IF YOU DON'T CONTINUE TO DO
THAT, YOU WILL SEE THAT NUMBER
GO BACK UP.
AND THAT WILL BE A TRAGEDY IF
THAT NUMBER GOES BACK UP.
>> HAVE YOU GOTTEN TO THE POINT
WHERE THE HOSPITAL --
>> REPEATEDLY DECLINE TO PROVIDE
A LIST OR NUMBERÑi OF CASES AT
BREACH OF THE PATIENT
CONFIDENTIALITY JUST TO BELIEVE
THAT THE TOTAL NUMBER OFÑi CASE
THAT EACH FACILITY?
>> JOHN, I DON'T KNOW THE
DETAILS OF THE HEALTH CARE
PRIVACY LAW, BUT I KNOW THE
HEALTH CARE PRIVACY LAW IS VERY
EXPANSIVE AND HEALTH OFFICIALS
ARE ALWAY'O■ VERY PROTEcáA+E OF
PATIENT'S HEALTH.çó
BUT I DON'T KNOW THE LAW ENOUGH
TO ANSWER ÑiYOU.
>> THEw3 NUMBER CERTAINLY --
PERSONALLY IDENTIF
FROM THESE FACILITIES?
>> SO WE'RExD CLEAR, COMMISSION
ZUCKER ISxD A DRCHLT I RESPECT
DOCTORS.
MY SISTER IS A ÑiDOCTOR.
HE'S NOTçó A LAWYER.
LET ME HEAR YOUR LEGAL i]OPINIO
MEDICAL DOCTOR.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
DO YOU KNOW?Ñi
>> I UNDERSTAND THE qHIPPAçó LA.
THIS IS THEIRñr HOME.
THESE NURSING HOMES ARE THEIR
HOME.
AND WE WANT TO MAKE SURE WE
PROTECT THEIR PRIVACY INñr THAT
SENSE AS WELL.
IT'S NOT JUSTÑi AN ISSUE OF SOR
OF SAYING THAT THERE'S A HIPPA
LAW.
IT'S THAT THERE'S NOWHERE
THEY'RE GOING TO GO, AND WE
DON'T WANT TO PUT INFORMATION
OUT ABOUT çóTHAT.
>> JOHN?
>> IS IT MORE OF A MORAL --
>> NO, IT'S A LAW.
WE'LL GET YOU THE LAW ON THE
MATTER.
BUT THE LAW ISxD ALSOxD TIED TO
SPIRIT OF THE LAW AND xDETHICS,-
WE DON'T WANT TO INVADE PEOPLE'S
PRIVACY.
WE GIVE YOU EVERYTHING I HAVE
THAT DOESN'T INVADE SOMEONE'S
PERSONAL PRIVACY.
OTHERWISE, YOU KNOW, THERE'S NO
SECRET TO NUMBER OF DEATHS IN
NURSING xDHOMES, RIGHT?
TO THE EXTENT YOUEASE IT
WITHOUTñr INVADING PEOPLE'S
PRIVACY, RELEASE IT.
>> I HAVE A QUESTION FOR YOU
ABOUT THE STATE OF NEW YORK.
YOU TOUCHED ON THISçó EARLIER.
WEçó DON'T --Ñi WOULD YOU CONSI
STARTING REOPENING UP STATES TO
SEE HOW IT GOES?
>> WE'RE GOING TO TALK TO THE
OTHER STATES.
AS I SAID, WHATEVER WE DO, WE'Rr
GOING TO DO IN COMBINATION WITH
THE OTHER STATES AND WE'LL TALK
ABOUT THAT AT 2:00.
COULD I SEE A DISTINCTION IN
PLACES THAT HAVE DIFFERENT ñr
CASELOADS?
YES.
RIGHT?
YOU HAVE YOUR HANDñr ON THE VAL.
YOU'REçó WATCHING THE METER.
YOU'RElp TURNING THE VALVE.
YOU'RE OPENING THE VALVE A
LITTLE BIT AND THEN YOU'RE
WATCHING THE METER.
THE METER IS THE INFECTION
RATES.
WILL THE METER RESPOND
DIFFERENTLY IN A RURAL COUNTY
THAN IT WILL IN A DENSE, URBAN
COUNTY?
YES.
HOW DO YOU CALIBRATE THAT INTO A
REOPENING PLAN?
THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE TOñr THINK
THROUGH.
>> WE'VE HAD COUNTLESS PEOPLE
CONTACT US ABOUT UNEMPLOYMENT.
HOW IS THE NEW PLATFORM WORKING
AND HOW LONG IS IT TAKING FOR
PEOPLE TO GET THEIR CHECKS?
>> THE NEW PLATFORM IS WORKING
MUCH, MUCH BETTER, AMEN.
THE DEPARTMENT OF LABORxD WEBSI
BASICALLYÑi CRASHED WHEN IT WAS
OVERWHELMED BY THE NUMBER OF ÑDó
UNBELIEVABLY, WEÑi HAD 1,000
PEOPLE WORKING ON THE ñrWEBSITE
HANDLING TM
CA.
1,000c PEOPLEÑi COULD NOTok HAN
THE INPUT, WHICH IS çóPHENOMENA.
BUT WE CHANGED THE SYSTEM.
WE CHANGED THE WEBSITE AND
MELISSA CAN SPEAK TO ñrTHAT.
>> THE NEWr
RUNNING ON FRIDAY.
WE'VE GOTTEN A LOT OF úO+%Q%
FEEDBACK.
IT'S M■ MORE STREAMLINED FROM
150 QUESTIONS DOWN TO 20
QUESTIONS ANDñ
S O
GOT WERE 200,000 CALLS WERE MADE
BETWEEN FRIDAY MORNING AND LAST
NIGHT.
I CAN'T GIVE YOU AN EXACTxD ANSR
WHEN THE CHECKS GO OUT.
I Ia
THEÑi APPLICATION PROCESS IS DO.
Iú.19Q■ TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING
MORE SPECIFIC THAN THAT SO WE
CAN GET BACK TO YOU AFTER THIS.
>> w3200,000 CALLS WERE MADE.
NOT EVERYONE ANSWERS THE PHONE.
BY THE WAY, FOR THE PUBLIC WHO
IS LISTENING RIGHT NOW·
LIST, CALL IT, ÑiPLEASE, BECAUS
IT'S THE DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
CALLING TO FINISH YOUR PROCESS.i
200,000 CALLS WERE MADE, 200çó
ATTEMPTS WERE MADE AND OBVIOUSL
THEY'VE CONNECTED.
THEY DOÑi CLOSE OUT THE U
CONNECTED.
(HAT'S BEEN VERY SUCCESSFUL.
THIS.
>> ONE MORE QUESTION.
>> ARE YOU AWARE THAT PRESIDENT
TRUMP IS GOING TO FIRE DR.
FAUCI?
>> I WOULD BE -- I THINK DR.
FAUCI IS GREAT.
I THINK AMERICANS TRUSTÑi HIM.
HE HAS BEEN VERYçó HELPFUL TO M
AS GOVERNOR.
I HAVE CALLED HIM NUMEROUS
TIMESÑ]
HE'SÑi VERY GOOD AT GETTING BAC.
AND, AGAIN, AS YOU'RE WALKINGq
THROUGH THESE UNCHARTERED WATERS
AND TRYING TO FEEL YOUR WAY AND
SENSE WHAT THE BOTTOM IS xDLIKEI
THINK HE HASxD BEEN ñrEXTRAORDI.
AND IÑi THINK IT WOULD BE -- I
CAN'T IMAGINE.
I CAN'T EVEN -- AS CRAZY ASÑi
THINGS GET IN THIS i]WORLD, ANDN
CRAZY WASHINGTON,Ñi I CAN'T
IMAGINE THATÑi THAT WOULD EVER
HAPPEN.
DID I SAY ANYTHING WE NEED TO
CORRECT ANYTHING THAT I'VE BEEN
SAYING THAT WASN'T RIGHU=
>> FOR BUFFALO, NICK, WE'VE BEEN
FOLLOWING BUFFALO VERY CLOSELY.
THERE ARE 200 POSITIVEñr CASES,
HOSPITALIZATIONS RIGHT NOW IN
BUFFALO.
THAT'S UPÑiw6FROM 225 FROM A COE
OF DAYS AGO.
IT'S PRETTY STABLE RIGHT NOW.
SO WE'REÑi WATCHINGñr NUMBERS
LOCALLY HOUR TO HOUR ALMOST.x(P%
BUFFALO E
PR
NOW.
IFÑi ITÑi POPS,ÑUj
DEFINITELY
HAVEQxD ON IT.
>> ROB, DID YOU WANT TOçó SAY
ANYTHING?
I'LL BE BACK AT 2:00.
I'M GOING TO BE BACKñrxDçó AT Ñó
HOLD IT FOR 2:00.
I'LL BE BACK AT 2:00.ñrw3ÑixDPX9
    You must  Log in  to get the function.
Tip: Click on the article or the word in the subtitle to get translation quickly!

Loading…

Live: NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo Holds Coronavirus Briefing | NBC News

35 Folder Collection
jimitseng published on April 21, 2020
More Recommended Videos
  1. 1. Search word

    Select word on the caption to look it up in the dictionary!

  2. 2. Repeat single sentence

    Repeat the same sentence to enhance listening ability

  3. 3. Shortcut

    Shortcut!

  4. 4. Close caption

    Close the English caption

  5. 5. Embed

    Embed the video to your blog

  6. 6. Unfold

    Hide right panel

  1. Listening Quiz

    Listening Quiz!

  1. Click to open your notebook

  1. UrbanDictionary 俚語字典整合查詢。一般字典查詢不到你滿意的解譯,不妨使用「俚語字典」,或許會讓你有滿意的答案喔